Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

AR Consumer Research Survey

Comments

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap said:
    Survey complete. I'm not ready to run out and get a device with AR. It's too early in my opinion. I don't like phablets, which this device would most likely have to be. I'm also not ready to plunk down 700 or 800 for a phone. It's just not worth it to me. Thanks for the opportunity for the survey!

Seems to me that one of the best "practical" purposes for AR currently is an interior decorater.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 6,450 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:
    Survey complete. I'm not ready to run out and get a device with AR. It's too early in my opinion. I don't like phablets, which this device would most likely have to be. I'm also not ready to plunk down 700 or 800 for a phone. It's just not worth it to me. Thanks for the opportunity for the survey!

Seems to me that one of the best "practical" purposes for AR currently is an interior decorater.

LOL, that or a dominoes expert. I do know that education would also be a big area as well, but AR just seems too early to adopt for me yet. I haven't even heard much from project Tango recently.

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

LOL, that or a dominoes expert. I do know that education would also be a big area as well, but AR just seems too early to adopt for me yet. I haven't even heard much from project Tango recently.

I don't get the dominoes expert. What I was talking about was an interior decorater can show you rooms of your house and how it would look with different furniture etc. Where did you go on vacation @hollap?

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

I don't get the dominoes expert. What I was talking about was an interior decorater can show you rooms of your house and how it would look with different furniture etc. Where did you go on vacation @hollap?

The video in the survey showed a kid playing with dominoes.

Didn't go anywhere for vacation. Stayed home and did work around the house though. Stuff that needed to be done for awhile. Still trying to get used to this site too.

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

Didn't go anywhere for vacation. Stayed home and did work around the house though. Stuff that needed to be done for awhile. Still trying to get used to this site too.

I forgot about that from the video. I had heard that the site was going to have some changes and they can't come soon enough. The old style inbox was drastically better and so was being able to reply to someone minus the quotes. As you know I'm always using a Nexus 9 tablet and some of the post are so long by the time I get through all the quotes I forgot who posted it and have to scroll back to the top. Sometimes I'll just respond by using the @ symbol but if that person doesn't have that notification setting turned on they never see it. So when I get home at night I might have 50 notifications all from the same thread and finding the new content is difficult. I end up reading quotes over and over again. And when you're in the notification screen by clicking on all notifications there isn't a way to get back to the home screen without clicking on something else first.

• cyvinscyvins USA, San DiegoPosts: 1

I got this message:
    "Thank You for completing the survey, but at this time your profile does not fit our criteria."

@cyvins said:
    I got this message:
    "Thank You for completing the survey, but at this time your profile does not fit our criteria."

There are only letting people with postpaid cellular accounts take the survey. It is wrong of them to not say so before you start the survey and waste your time.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

I forgot about that from the video. I had heard that the site was going to have some changes and they can't come soon enough. The old style inbox was drastically better and so was being able to reply to someone minus the quotes. As you know I'm always using a Nexus 9 tablet and some of the post are so long by the time I get through all the quotes I forgot who posted it and have to scroll back to the top. Sometimes I'll just respond by using the @ symbol but if that person doesn't have that notification setting turned on they never see it. So when I get home at night I might have 50 notifications all from the same thread and finding the new content is difficult. I end up reading quotes over and over again. And when you're in the notification screen by clicking on all notifications there isn't a way to get back to the home screen without clicking on something else first.

I agree the old style inbox was MUCH better.

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 93 ✭✭✭

Completed!

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Madison, Wisconsin, USAPosts: 366 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finished. AR is moderately exciting to me, but not as exciting as that gorgeous, square-cornered phone in the videos. I know those videos were probably made by google and not ZTE, but I would buy that phone in a heartbeat.

• freezafreeza Pasadena, CAPosts: 109 ✭✭✭✭✭

Done. AR means little to nothing to me. Hope the axon 8 won't be focused around it

@freeza said:
    Done. AR means little to nothing to me. Hope the axon 8 won't be focused around it

Same here. I would hope that they utilize AR on a specialty phone.

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 3,839 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Done.

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

I agree. I like that the new site is faster but I still ain't used to it yet.

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

Is it still logging you out all the time?

edited July 12, 2017 1:11AM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

Yep. Every few minutes. I'm calling it a night. I'll talk to you tomorrow.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

The only thing that I like about the new site is that I don't get logged out. See you tomorrow.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

The only thing that I like about the new site is that I don't get logged out. See you tomorrow.

It's been doing better here lately but I still get logged out if I'm not active for a little while.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

It's been doing better here lately but I still get logged out if I'm not active for a little while.

I never get logged out. The other night my Nexus 9 tablet, that I use for the forum, got the July security patch and I went ahead and installed it and seriously when it rebooted I clicked on the forum website and I was still logged in.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

I never get logged out. The other night my Nexus 9 tablet, that I use for the forum, got the July security patch and I went ahead and installed it and seriously when it rebooted I clicked on the forum website and I was still logged in.

Well, a reboot like that wouldn't have affected you being logged in or out. That's stored in whatever browser you're using. Which browser do you use? I use Opera browser on my laptop and Samsung Internet on my phones. I haven't opened Chrome in a long time. Opera is way faster on my laptop than Chrome is and Samsung Internet is the bomb on my phone. It lets me use ad blockers.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

Well, a reboot like that wouldn't have affected you being logged in or out. That's stored in whatever browser you're using. Which browser do you use? I use Opera browser on my laptop and Samsung Internet on my phones. I haven't opened Chrome in a long time. Opera is way faster on my laptop than Chrome is and Samsung Internet is the bomb on my phone. It lets me use ad blockers.

I just use Chrome through a VPN called Disconnect. And I don't get how I could have stayed logged in when the Nexus 9 installed an update and shut completely off and rebooted after the update. Any other site that I was logged into would be terminated when the device was turned off and back on. And what the (moderated) are you doing up so late. Isn't it 3 AM where you live?

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

I just use Chrome through a VPN called Disconnect. And I don't get how I could have stayed logged in when the Nexus 9 installed an update and shut completely off and rebooted after the update. Any other site that I was logged into would be terminated when the device was turned off and back on. And what the (moderated) are you doing up so late. Isn't it 3 AM where you live?

No, it's 2 AM and I'm going to bed now. You shouldn't be logged out just by a reboot though. Unless it has something to do with the VPN you use.

• mrjlwilliamsmrjlwilliams ATXPosts: 331 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder if ZTE is working on a super AR device, that would be so nice. AR is not really popular in the mobile world yet, because there are not very many devices using it. Also, there is not much behind it right now on smartphones. But when and if it does take off, I'm hoping for a really nicely priced and beefy device from ZTE.

@mrjlwilliams said:
    I wonder if ZTE is working on a super AR device, that would be so nice. AR is not really popular in the mobile world yet, because there are not very many devices using it. Also, there is not much behind it right now on smartphones. But when and if it does take off, I'm hoping for a really nicely priced and beefy device from ZTE.

I wonder if they're working on the Axon 8. It's getting ridiculous that nothing has been announced. The A7 was announced on May 27, 2016 and was released July 27th, 2016 so it's a year old now.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@mrjlwilliams said:

I wonder if they're working on the Axon 8. It's getting ridiculous that nothing has been announced. The A7 was announced on May 27, 2016 and was released July 27th, 2016 so it's a year old now.

I wonder the same thing. It's just very suspicious to me that they haven't announced anything yet. They keep putting out new mid-range phones but no flagship. I mean, what could be taking them so long? At this point, we're looking at a Halloween launch.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@mrjlwilliams said:

I wonder the same thing. It's just very suspicious to me that they haven't announced anything yet. They keep putting out new mid-range phones but no flagship. I mean, what could be taking them so long? At this point, we're looking at a Halloween launch.

Either the A8 isn't very important to ZTE or they're planning on something that is a big change from the A7. ZTE 's bread and butter is the budget priced carrier phones and maybe they didn't do very well profit wise with the A7. The Alcatel follow up to the excellent Idol 4S was an Idol 5S that is a step down in specs. I hope that the same fate doesn't await the A8.

Sometimes a long wait means a good thing, because they know how popular the A7 was, and is. But maybe they are trying to check all the boxes, before releasing something we've seen before. Look at the current market, it's all the same. The A7 is STILL a better purchase than most devices out right now, and I'd tell people to but it in a heartbeat. However, ever phone has it's short comings. The A7 needs a camera upgrade badly, and the software is horrible at this point. So I'm thinking ZTE is working on something to replace the A7, that will live up to the hype. It will be hard to beat the A7 in several areas, mainly price. The A7 is an amazing phone. So how can they top that? I think they have something GREAT coming next year, and I'm willing to wait. > @jimlloyd40 said:

@mrjlwilliams said:

@mrjlwilliams what did you mean "Look at the current market, it's all the same"? The Samsung S8 and LG G6 are a pretty dramatic new design.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@mrjlwilliams said:

Either the A8 isn't very important to ZTE or they're planning on something that is a big change from the A7. ZTE 's bread and butter is the budget priced carrier phones and maybe they didn't do very well profit wise with the A7. The Alcatel follow up to the excellent Idol 4S was an Idol 5S that is a step down in specs. I hope that the same fate doesn't await the A8.

Actually the Axon 7 is not their bread and butter, and they are running the prepaid field more than one might think. They are making so many prepaid phones, and they will continue to do so because that is where they are making the most profit. The Axon 7 did not sell as well as people think, and that is another reason why they might be taking it slow to produce a better version for next year. But if you search, you will find that ZTE is making more profits with carrier deals and prepaid. They also are making a boat load of funds from other places in the industry.

edited July 21, 2017 11:30AM

I'm talking about specs. If they release the A8 right now, we know what it will have. SD835, and 4GB RAM. That's what everyone else is doing except for Oneplus and a few others. ZTE is going to do something nice next year, and I'm hoping it lives up to the hype. Because today, all we are getting is different hardware, same internals. I want more than that. Also, the design of the S8 is not so great to me, and many other people. The LG design is very solid, as it has a more premium feel to it. Which is what ZTE will need to do with the A8 if and when it comes out next year. > @jimlloyd40 said:

@mrjlwilliams what did you mean "Look at the current market, it's all the same"? The Samsung S8 and LG G6 are a pretty dramatic new design.