Welcome to our Beta Lab page.

No Current Recruitment Projects

Interested in Beta Testing... Do This First!

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

New Beta Opportunity [Closed]

monger80monger80 United StatesPosts: 663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 27, 2017 11:39PM in Beta Lab

https://goo.gl/forms/kFooFivTYpujZs8X2

Fellow ZTE community members, we have a new beta opportunity for you to participate on and would like your attention. If you are interested in the new beta opportunity, please use the like above to register.

The product you will be beta testing is similar to the product below.
https://www.zteusa.com/att-homebase

If you've used such device in the past, I like you to note on the registration survey.

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,816 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice solution for in-home calling. I wonder if it will coincide or clash with my current Ooma service.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My current mobile phone is my home line. Are their specific reasons people use home lines still that I am missing?

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,816 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap said:
    My current mobile phone is my home line. Are their specific reasons people use home lines still that I am missing?

I still use a home phone since our number has been established with friends, family, business contacts, banks, etc, etc for the better part of 20 years. Changing that to a different mobile number with everyone is a huge PITA, plus which spouses number do you change it to if switching your primary contact number to a mobile number (?).
    Many people also have children that don't have mobile phone. Maybe old enough to be home alone, but don't need their own phone line or parents can't afford to pay for multiple lines if they have lots of kids.
    Then there are also services like alarm systems that require a landline, and for people who need emergency alert systems and 911 (AKA: "I've fallen and I can't get up" service).

I discovered a few years ago I could keep my home service by porting our landline number to a VOIP service, and after paying to port the number and set up the service and box, I pay less than $5 total per month for my home phone service.

@doppelgangerd said:

@hollap said:

I still use a home phone since our number has been established with friends, family, business contacts, banks, etc, etc for the better part of 20 years. Changing that to a different mobile number with everyone is a huge PITA, plus which spouses number do you change it to if switching your primary contact number to a mobile number (?).
    Many people also have children that don't have mobile phone. Maybe old enough to be home alone, but don't need their own phone line or parents can't afford to pay for multiple lines if they have lots of kids.
    Then there are also services like alarm systems that require a landline, and for people who need emergency alert systems and 911 (AKA: "I've fallen and I can't get up" service).

I discovered a few years ago I could keep my home service by porting our landline number to a VOIP service, and after paying to port the number and set up the service and box, I pay less than $5 total per month for my home phone service.

I knew there would still be uses. Just needed to find someone using them :)

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,598 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:
    I don't know the costs associated with that device but I saw AT&T advertising it and unless you're already with AT&T it's dead in the water. Three years ago I bought a small device called the Obi 100 and got a Google Voice phone number and make calls anywhere in the US for free. I just use an old cordless phone and only use it for outgoing calls. Except for the $40 one time purchase of the Obi 100 box it's totally free.

That is interesting. Do you ever use it to make calls? Seems like most cell phone have unlimited calling so I'm not sure what you need it for.
    :smile:

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,615 mod
    edited July 11, 2017 7:00PM

I have phone through cable company. I can't rely solely on cell phones this far out, gotta have a way to make calls in an emergency.

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,769 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have registered

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I do have landline too. I guess I am just old school like that:)

I hardly using it but still kept the number and the line for faxing. I do have to say despite old technology, you still cannot beat landline when comes to clear calls as voip and cellular calls is too network dependent:)

@samsamha I tried Voip early on, when the tech was new, and aside from crazy costs which have come down quite a bit I had no issues. I have been back with traditional landline for last 7-8 years and saw no incentive to change.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'd be interested in trying something like this out to use as a base station for my mobile service with Google Voice to integrate all my phone numbers into one, currently since I jump from device to device with my different services (currently 3 providers)it would allow my main line to act as the home number that then forwards to my phones if I dont answer. Also provides secondary networking for cell Wi-Fi which in my area is much better than my home connection.

• runtohell121runtohell121 Analyst United StatesPosts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm currently an Ooma customer, paying $0.00/month since I signed up a while back before they started charging tax and regulatory fee. It's been a good few years with Ooma and still works as of today.

• wings4anniewings4annie United StatesPosts: 1,384 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ironbaybeedoll said:
    I have phone through cable company. I can't rely solely on cell phones this far out, gotta have a way to make calls in an emergency.

I also have a land line with cable company.
    Company use and I forward calls to cell phones

@wings4annie Id never forward my home phone to my cells, I'd get nothing done.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    I don't know the costs associated with that device but I saw AT&T advertising it and unless you're already with AT&T it's dead in the water. Three years ago I bought a small device called the Obi 100 and got a Google Voice phone number and make calls anywhere in the US for free. I just use an old cordless phone and only use it for outgoing calls. Except for the $40 one time purchase of the Obi 100 box it's totally free.

That is interesting. Do you ever use it to make calls? Seems like most cell phone have unlimited calling so I'm not sure what you need it for.

@dnewman007 I do use it everyday for outgoing calls only. It's more comfortable to hold then a smartphone and I don't muck up my smartphone screen. And being the battery saving fanatic that I am I'm not using my smartphone battery.

If you start doing too many alternate things so you don't have to use your smartphone battery pretty soon you won't even need one. :D Then you can sell me your u11 on the cheap!

Battery life is the main reason I would use another device like this, right now I use atleast one device to hot-spot to the others throughout the day, so any place I can add more wifi without killing phone juice would be great lol.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 I do use it everyday for outgoing calls only. It's more comfortable to hold then a smartphone and I don't muck up my smartphone screen. And being the battery saving fanatic that I am I'm not using my smartphone battery.

If you start doing too many alternate things so you don't have to use your smartphone battery pretty soon you won't even need one. :D Then you can sell me your u11 on the cheap!

I'll sell it to you just not on the cheap. Then I can get the solar red model that wasn't available when it was released.

Sorry. At this moment I currently have nearly $1,000 tied up in two phones and I don't have either one in my possession! Still waiting on a refund of $480 for my OnePlus 5, which is being delivered today so hopefully I'll have my money back by Monday, then I'm waiting on my s8 that cost me $595 to be shipped, it should ship July 14th. So yeah, if it's not on the cheap I'm out. Lol

What's taking so long for whoever to ship out your S8?

They were out of their office until July 13th, said they would ship it first thing on the 14th priority with signature required. So I won't have it until around the 17th or so.

If Samsung would add some speakers to the S8 that phone would be extremely hard for me to pass up.

Yeah, I don't think the speaker is a strong point with the S8. It's got about everything else though.

It sure does. It's the screen that impressed me the most. When I look at the screen on the U11 it looks very nice but when I was at T-MO checking out the S8 the S8 was superior side by side compared to the U11.

Yeah, the screen on the s8 is the best there is

That's why so many devices use Samsung Panels. Can't fault Sammy for their displays that's for sure.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,598 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I'll sell it to you just not on the cheap. Then I can get the solar red model that wasn't available when it was released.

Sorry. At this moment I currently have nearly $1,000 tied up in two phones and I don't have either one in my possession! Still waiting on a refund of $480 for my OnePlus 5, which is being delivered today so hopefully I'll have my money back by Monday, then I'm waiting on my s8 that cost me $595 to be shipped, it should ship July 14th. So yeah, if it's not on the cheap I'm out. Lol

What's taking so long for whoever to ship out your S8?

They were out of their office until July 13th, said they would ship it first thing on the 14th priority with signature required. So I won't have it until around the 17th or so.

If Samsung would add some speakers to the S8 that phone would be extremely hard for me to pass up.

Yeah, I don't think the speaker is a strong point with the S8. It's got about everything else though.

It sure does. It's the screen that impressed me the most. When I look at the screen on the U11 it looks very nice but when I was at T-MO checking out the S8 the S8 was superior side by side compared to the U11.

Yeah, the screen on the s8 is the best there is

The screen on the S8+ is absolutely amazing. Sammy also give you lots of control to change the temp. range ect.

This discussion has been closed.