ZTE Axon Passport 2.0 Service Policy: what experience did you make?

betamalebetamale Posts: 43 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent in my Axon 7 to be repaired under the Axon Passport 2.0 Service Policy.

The phone was sitting on my nightstand, in a case and was charging like pretty much every night since October 2016. the next morning it was dead, so I unplugged and re-plugged it, tried all different button hold combination, etc... it was not coming back to live so I contacted ZTE and ended up sending it in to be repaired.

now, today after more then two weeks they say it has a liquid damage and I have to pay $80 to have it repaired.

here is my chat with ZTE today:

Chat 07/12/2017:
Justin H.: “Thank you for contacting ZTE’s Chat customer service, we appreciate your business and value our relationship. At the end of this session you will receive a brief three question satisfaction survey on the support you received. Please take the time to provide your feedback on your experience today. Thank you.”
Justin H.: Hello, my name is Justin.
Justin H.: I would be happy to assist you with repair.
XXX: Hi Justin
Justin H.: Do you have the RMA number please?
XXX: my RMA XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXX: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Justin H.: Thank you.
Justin H.: Can you please verify the name, email and phone number on the repair?
XXX: email XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXX: XXXXXXXXXXXX
XXX: I checked the status of my repair and it says pending
XXX: OOW: liquid damage
Justin H.: That is correct.
XXX: my phone has never had contact to any liquid
Justin H.: Our technicians have inspected the device and are seeing liquid damage on it.
Justin H.: You do not have to have liquid touch the device to have liquid damage.
XXX: oh ok
Justin H.: Steam, high humidity etc can also cause moisture damage on the device.
XXX: what else can cause liquid damage?
Justin H.: Steam, high humidity etc can also cause moisture damage on the device.
XXX: ok
XXX: so what does that mean now?
Justin H.: The cost for repair is $79.99 plus tax.
Justin H.: You will need to call us at 800-617-5065 to make payment for the repair.
XXX: so you tell me the high humidity in Chicago cause a water damage on the axon 7?
XXX: I will post that all over the internet...
Justin H.: It can be a factor. Steam for example can cool inside the device, which in turn makes dampness.
Justin H.: Dampness can be a factor of moisture damage.
XXX: ok so you are saying the Axon7 is not built to be operated in the midwest climate in June?
XXX: inside an airconditioned house?
Justin H.: We not have the exact cause of what happened to the device.
Justin H.: All we know is that there is moisture damage on the device.
Justin H.: This can be caused by many things.
Justin H.: If you would like to make the payment, please call us.
Justin H.: If you would like me to cancel the repair and send the phone back, I would be happy to do so.
XXX: how do you determine the liquid damage? can you provide pictures?
Justin H.: I can ask the repair techs to see if they can provide the pictures.
XXX: ok. please do so
Justin H.: Ok
Justin H.: I have escalated this and asked them to send you photos of the damage. They should be sending those out within 48 hours.
Justin H.: I appreciate you reaching out to ZTE's chat support today. If there are no more questions, please tap the red "X" at the top of the window to receive my customer service survey.
XXX: it takes you two days to provide pictures?
XXX: don't you take pictures with every assessment?
Justin H.: We have to wait for the repair team. We have no control over how long it can take them.
XXX: that is a poor organization if you have no control over the repair team...
Justin H.: Ok.
Justin H.: Are there any other questions I can answer today?
XXX: I'm not sure...
Justin H.: I appreciate you reaching out to ZTE's chat support today. If there are no more questions, please tap the red "X" at the top of the window to receive my customer service survey.
Justin H. has disconnected.

I will update once I get some pictures...

Did you get similar service / feedback?

Comments

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,147 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@betamale said:
    I sent in my Axon 7 to be repaired under the Axon Passport 2.0 Service Policy.

The phone was sitting on my nightstand, in a case and was charging like pretty much every night since October 2016. the next morning it was dead, so I unplugged and re-plugged it, tried all different button hold combination, etc... it was not coming back to live so I contacted ZTE and ended up sending it in to be repaired.

now, today after more then two weeks they say it has a liquid damage and I have to pay $80 to have it repaired.

here is my chat with ZTE today:

Chat 07/12/2017:
    Justin H.: “Thank you for contacting ZTE’s Chat customer service, we appreciate your business and value our relationship. At the end of this session you will receive a brief three question satisfaction survey on the support you received. Please take the time to provide your feedback on your experience today. Thank you.”
    Justin H.: Hello, my name is Justin.
    Justin H.: I would be happy to assist you with repair.
    XXX: Hi Justin
    Justin H.: Do you have the RMA number please?
    XXX: my RMA XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXX: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Justin H.: Can you please verify the name, email and phone number on the repair?
    XXX: email XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXX: XXXXXXXXXXXX
    XXX: I checked the status of my repair and it says pending
    XXX: OOW: liquid damage
    Justin H.: That is correct.
    XXX: my phone has never had contact to any liquid
    Justin H.: Our technicians have inspected the device and are seeing liquid damage on it.
    Justin H.: You do not have to have liquid touch the device to have liquid damage.
    XXX: oh ok
    XXX: what else can cause liquid damage?
    XXX: ok
    XXX: so what does that mean now?
    Justin H.: The cost for repair is $79.99 plus tax.
    Justin H.: You will need to call us at 800-617-5065 to make payment for the repair.
    XXX: so you tell me the high humidity in Chicago cause a water damage on the axon 7?
    XXX: I will post that all over the internet...
    Justin H.: It can be a factor. Steam for example can cool inside the device, which in turn makes dampness.
    Justin H.: Dampness can be a factor of moisture damage.
    XXX: ok so you are saying the Axon7 is not built to be operated in the midwest climate in June?
    XXX: inside an airconditioned house?
    Justin H.: We not have the exact cause of what happened to the device.
    Justin H.: All we know is that there is moisture damage on the device.
    Justin H.: This can be caused by many things.
    Justin H.: If you would like to make the payment, please call us.
    Justin H.: If you would like me to cancel the repair and send the phone back, I would be happy to do so.
    XXX: how do you determine the liquid damage? can you provide pictures?
    Justin H.: I can ask the repair techs to see if they can provide the pictures.
    XXX: ok. please do so
    Justin H.: Ok
    Justin H.: I have escalated this and asked them to send you photos of the damage. They should be sending those out within 48 hours.
    XXX: it takes you two days to provide pictures?
    XXX: don't you take pictures with every assessment?
    Justin H.: We have to wait for the repair team. We have no control over how long it can take them.
    XXX: that is a poor organization if you have no control over the repair team...
    Justin H.: Ok.
    Justin H.: Are there any other questions I can answer today?
    XXX: I'm not sure...
    Justin H. has disconnected.

I will update once I get some pictures...

Did you get similar service / feedback?

Well that certainly sucks. I'm not buying the moisture damage either. I particularly didn't like the arrogance in asking if you wanted to cancel the repair and get your useless phone back. Please keep us informed of the outcome.

• betamalebetamale Posts: 43 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's just too easy for them to say... Dampness can be a factor of moisture damage... so you pay $80 or you won't have a phone!!! your choice!

@betamale said:
    It's just too easy for them to say... Dampness can be a factor of moisture damage... so you pay $80 or you won't have a phone!!! your choice!

That sucks especially when you know that it isn't true.

edited July 12, 2017 2:15PM

QUOTE:
    "Consumer Limited Warranty
    ZTE ("Seller") offers you a limited warranty that the enclosed product or products (the "Product") will be free from
    defects in material and workmanship for a period that expires one year from the date of sale of the Product to you,
    provided that you are the original end-user purchaser of the Product and provided that your purchase was made from
    a supplier authorized by the Seller. Transfer or resale of a Product will automatically terminate warranty coverage
    with respect to that Product. This limited warranty is not transferable to any third party, including but not limited to any
    subsequent purchaser or owner of the Product. This limited warranty is applicable to end users in the United States
    and Puerto Rico.
    Seller will, at its sole and absolute discretion, either repair or replace a Product (which unit may use refurbished parts
    of similar quality and functionality) if found by Seller to be defective in material or workmanship, or if Seller
    determines that it is unable to repair or replace such Product, Seller will refund the purchase price for such Product,
    provided that the subject Product (i) is returned to a Seller authorized service center within the one year warranty
    period, and (ii) is accompanied by a proof of purchase in the form of a bill of sale or receipted invoice which
    evidences that the subject Product is within the one year warranty period. After the one year warranty period, you
    must pay all shipping, parts and labor charges. In the event that the product is deemed un-repairable or has been
    removed from the list of products supported by the Seller, you will only be liable for shipping and labor charges.
    This limited warranty does not cover and is void with respect to the following: (i) any Product which has been
    improperly installed, repaired, maintained or modified; (ii) any Product which has been subjected to misuse (including
    any Product used in conjunction with hardware electrically or mechanically incompatible or used with accessories not
    approved by Seller), abuse, accident, physical damage, abnormal operation, improper handling, neglect, exposure to
    fire or liquid;"

The Warranty says EXPOSURE TO [...] LIQUID and not "HUMIDITY"!

EDIT: The PASSPORT 2.0 says...

"Warranty Exclusions and Limitations

This Limited Warranty does not apply (as determined by ZTEUSA) to the following circumstances and conditions:.
    [...]
    6.Damage caused by and/or resulting from misuse,** moisture or liquids**, proximity or exposure to heat, accident, abuse, altitude, irregular electric current or voltage, neglect, or misapplication."

... so I wonder did ANYBODY EVER get his/her Axon7 get repaired under Warranty?

• ggregggreg Posts: 140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like geniuses at ZTE customer service have come up with a way to deal with diminishing stock of replacement phones/parts for A7.

• alferalfer Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Makes me not want to even bother sending in my A7 (bad camera). Ugh.

The question is...

should I buy the ONE plus 5 and just forget about ZTE and the frustration? :/

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 320 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2017 4:29PM

@betamale said:
    The question is...

I would. If enough people stopped buying a ZTE phone maybe this nonsense would stop. This company just seems to keep going down hill over the past year. If humidity caused this issue then that is a manufacturing defect.

I wanna see the pictures before I make my decision!
    If you think about it... spending $400 for an Axon7 and it breaks from humidity after 8 month you are better off spending $800 on a high quality phone like a galaxy or even (it hurts to say that) an iPhone!

• maverickmaverick NJPosts: 309 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow well thats not cool. if my A7 break si'll be buying a different brands device. The hiccups and added bs in the phone itself is aggravating and then to be jerked around with the passport warranty thing they swore was great... yeah. I doubt humidity would damage the device. They should be able to handle humidity. if not they cant sell a phone that breaks from a normal environment.

@betamale said:
    The question is...

@betamale I would certainly pay the $80 and get a working phone back and then decide if you want to get a different phone. You'll be able to sell your A7 for far more than $80 and get more of your original investment back. I don't believe that they will be able to show water damage from humidity and that's a joke anyway. If they send you pictures that show water damage you can't even verify if it was your phone.

So far no pictures from ZTE.
    I wonder if they would "repair" MY PHONE or just send me a refurbished one if I paid the $80?

@betamale said:
    I wonder if they would "repair" MY PHONE or just send me a refurbished one if I paid the $80?

Probably refurbished.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@betamale said:

I agree with Jim. My guess is a refurbished unit. I would call and ask to be sure.

• doneonlydoneonly VirginiaPosts: 47 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't buy the humidity thing either. If that is the case, all if my phones should be just like yours. We have an average of 65-80 percent humidity in a house with no A/C (broken) and I'm sweating like bacon fat in the oven and my Axon 7 works just fine. I've been thinking about sending mine in due to the OIS in the camera malfunctioning, but something like this concerns me.

• onematonemat Nashville, TNPosts: 147 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2017 7:24AM

Has this phone been around steam, for instance a hot shower on a regular basis ? I had an old Moto X phone that failed and it was due to moister. The little piece of paper deep in the earphone Jack had turned red. Moto service thought phone had been submerged when they opened the phone... It was not covered.

@onemat said:
    Has this phone been around steam, for instance a hot shower on a regular basis ? I had an old Moto X phone that failed and it was due to moister. The little piece of paper deep in the earphone Jack had turned red. Moto service thought phone had been submerged when they opened the phone... It was not covered.

The phone has NOT been in the shower with me EVER :)
    No. Seriously, if I had done something that would make a liquid damage reasonable and possible then I would own it. It has been used in normal conditions, I took good care of it. I LOVED my Axon 7!!! I told my co-worker how amazing that phone is...

@dnewman007 said:

@betamale said:

I agree with Jim. My guess is a refurbished unit. I would call and ask to be sure.

I talked to a supervisor and he told me
    "Everything will be replace on the inside of the device"
    "so the only thing that will be the same is the shell of the device"
    "we repair device only"

@betamale said:

@dnewman007 said:

@betamale said:

"we repair device only"

That's obviously not true as many people have received refurbished phones. That's not necessarily bad though. Usually a refurbished device appears as new. I actually buy some things refurbished on purpose like my drivers GPS units. Frys Electronics gives a better warranty on refurbished Garmins than a new one.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@betamale said:

@dnewman007 said:

@betamale said:

"we repair device only"

That's obviously not true as many people have received refurbished phones. That's not necessarily bad though. Usually a refurbished device appears as new. I actually buy some things refurbished on purpose like my drivers GPS units. Frys Electronics gives a better warranty on refurbished Garmins than a new one.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@betamale said:

@dnewman007 said:

@betamale said:

"we repair device only"

I got an advanced replacement on my Axon 7. No way to tell if it was new or refurbished.

edited July 14, 2017 10:52AM

I got an advanced replacement on my Axon 7. No way to tell if it was new or refurbished.

I wanted to do that too but they told me that they are short on parts and so they couldn't even tell me when I would get the device. My phone is in like new condition so I was fine with them repairing it.
    I think it is an electronic/motherboard issue because it just died while sitting on my nightstand.

How was your experience with the advanced replacement?
    What was wrong with your phone?

@hollap I guess the humidity in WI is not as high as in IL! ;)

edited July 14, 2017 11:40AM

@betamale said:

If the humidity is that bad in Illinois wouldn't hundreds of thousands of other phones have died also?

@jimlloyd40 said:

@betamale said:

If the humidity is that bad in Illinois wouldn't hundreds of thousands of other phones have died also?

I'm not sure... maybe I am the ONLY ONE with an Axon 7 in IL?

edited July 14, 2017 12:23PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@betamale said:

@dnewman007 said:

@betamale said:

"we repair device only"

@jimlloyd40 said:

@betamale said:

@dnewman007 said:

@betamale said:

"we repair device only"

I got an advanced replacement on my Axon 7. No way to tell if it was new or refurbished. > @betamale said:

I wanted to do that too but they told me that they are short on parts and so they couldn't even tell me when I would get the device. My phone is in like new condition so I was fine with them repairing it.
    I think it is an electronic/motherboard issue because it just died while sitting on my nightstand.

How was your experience with the advanced replacement?
    What was wrong with your phone?

I made sure to ask them first if they had stock before making my case. She replied they did, both in Gray and Gold, so I went ahead and did my replacement. Received it in 3 business days. Now, I will admit this was the THIRD time asking if they had stock or not, because the previous two times I called they didn't. I opened my case on July 5th.

@betamale said:

It gets bad up here in the summer too. Last week or so dew points have been in the 70s. That's steamy.

@hollap said:

@betamale said:

It gets bad up here in the summer too. Last week or so dew points have been in the 70s. That's steamy.

So what was wrong with your phone?
    They didn't claim it has a humidity damage?

@betamale said:

@hollap said:

@betamale said:

So what was wrong with your phone?
    They didn't claim it has a humidity damage?

Nope. I hade the OIS vibrating camera issue. Phone worked fine except when trying to focus the camera. Many others have had it as well.

edited July 14, 2017 2:38PM

No pictures after over two days! :(
    Maybe they do not want to provide pictures?
    Maybe they can not provide pictures?

It seems the repair company doesn't (have to) listen to ZTE or ZTE never even asked?

Is that good customer service?

edit: spelling

• doneonlydoneonly VirginiaPosts: 47 ✭✭✭✭✭

@betamale said:
    No pictures after over two days! :(
    Maybe they do not want to provide pictures?
    Maybe they can not provide pictures?

It seems the repair company doesn't (have to) listen to ZTE or ZTE never even asked?

Is that good customer service?

edit: spelling

Most likely you won't get pictures since technically the repair center is a 3rd party.
    Also why ZTE said they had to wait to confirm anything dealing with repairs.