Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

TouchPal ads on HTC

notamoosennotamoosen Posts: 61 ✭✭✭✭

While not directly affecting the Axon line, I did still think it was relevant to the community as TouchPal is the included keyboard.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07/16/htcs-touchpal-keyboard-started-show-ads-users/

Comments

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 11,183 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@notamoosen said:
    While not directly affecting the Axon line, I did still think it was relevant to the community as TouchPal is the included keyboard.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07/16/htcs-touchpal-keyboard-started-show-ads-users/

I have the HTC U11 and I just disabled the TouchPal keyboard and use SwiftKey.

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 290 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2017 6:53PM

@notamoosen said:

While it is definitely completely unacceptable, the TouchPal keyboard app can easily be disabled in the settings and you can use Gboard instead.

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 3,838 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2017 8:05PM

TouchPal sucks. It's bloatware and should stop being added to phones. It's in the Play Store if anyone wants to use it. Why force it on the user?

• razor512razor512 New YorkPosts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 16, 2017 8:15PM

That is definitely a scumbag move for those devs. Usually when a phone maker works with a company to bundle an app, it is usually a special version where differences should include not having ads or other annoying crap. I wonder what kind of agreement HTC had with them.

From an overall size and layout standpoint, touchpal is pretty good due to it having a dedicated number row, and lots of long press modifiers for special characters (as passwords should contain a range of special characters).

Swiftkey is better in my opinion, since it adds the arrow keys, but I wish they would redesign it to get a look closer to the HP mobile onscreen keyboard. where you can choose between just the horizontal arrow keys next to the numbers, or horizontal and vertical keys near the top.

That keyboard + the additional long press functions for each letter for special characters, would be awesome.

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 3,838 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@razor512 said:
    That is definitely a scumbag move for those devs. Usually when a phone maker works with a company to bundle an app, it is usually a special version where differences should include not having ads or other annoying crap. I wonder what kind of agreement HTC had with them.

From an overall size and layout standpoint, touchpal is pretty good due to it having a dedicated number row, and lots of long press modifiers for special characters (as passwords should contain a range of special characters).

Swiftkey is better in my opinion, since it adds the arrow keys, but I wish they would redesign it to get a look closer to the HP mobile onscreen keyboard. where you can choose between just the horizontal arrow keys next to the numbers, or horizontal and vertical keys near the top.

That keyboard + the additional long press functions for each letter for special characters, would be awesome.

I don't think it's just happening with HTC. I saw another thread on here earlier with someone talking about TouchPal taking over their ZTE phone.

• razor512razor512 New YorkPosts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

So far on 3 different ZTE devices with it preinstalled, it is not happening for me, but if touchpad gets an update that causes ads for ZTE, I would hope that ZTE releases an update that completely removes it.

Banner ads above a keyboard is 100% unacceptable in 100% of all cases. Furthermore, it is very unsafe, especially considering that most app advertising platforms have a poor track record of vetting their ads, which is only serving to increase the popularity of malvertizing (spreading malware through ads).