Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

YouTube choppy at 60fps

I've been having this problem on and off for a long time. Sometimes when the YouTube app's video quality switches to 60fps HD, the framerate actually drops to like 2fps instead of going to 60fps. I'm really quite sick of it and it prevents me from watching hd quality on videos with high framerates. When I go back to 480p it goes back to 30fps like it normally is.

I always update my apps and my ZTE software updates.

Comments

• razor512razor512 New York Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2017 2:03AM

Do you have any other apps such as screen recorders or background video recorders or any other app that will use many resources in the background?

I tried playing a 1080p 60FPS video on the youtube app.

I then monitored the CPU usage stayed in the 50% range, and the while the simple system monitor app would not allow me to pin the CPU frequency windows, 2 of the cores remained at 307MHz while another 2 were at about 940MHz during that time.

The video was smooth with no visual issues.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@halcyonacoustic said:
    I've been having this problem on and off for a long time. Sometimes when the YouTube app's video quality switches to 60fps HD, the framerate actually drops to like 2fps instead of going to 60fps. I'm really quite sick of it and it prevents me from watching hd quality on videos with high framerates. When I go back to 480p it goes back to 30fps like it normally is.

I always update my apps and my ZTE software updates.

What phone do you have and which carrier are you with?

• ZTE Axon 7 Unlocked. I run it on T-Mobile but this happens on Wi-Fi too. I'm not running any extra programs that I know of except perhaps EasyEyes. That's a blue light filter app. It should be pretty lightweight though.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@halcyonacoustic said:
    ZTE Axon 7 Unlocked. I run it on T-Mobile but this happens on Wi-Fi too. I'm not running any extra programs that I know of except perhaps EasyEyes. That's a blue light filter app. It should be pretty lightweight though.

Since it happens on wifi also that rules out T-Mobile reducing the resolution. Check in the settings for what has been using the battery. Something must be running in the background to cause the problem.