Petition to get ZTE to Remove TouchPal Key-let's get everyone to add this thread and demand removal!

ricksheeleyricksheeley Posts: 8 ✭✭
edited July 17, 2017 2:11PM in Grand X [Series]

ZTE: In light of TouchPal's management and development adding unwanted adds to it's keyboard app, we are demanding that ZTE remove this software and replace it with another keyboard package that does not contain Adware. As a consumer , I consider this "malware/spam", and I demand the right to remove it from a device which I have paid for, and I have never given my consent for these ads, which is a direct violation of current consumer law.

Rick Sheeley
Staunton, VA

Cricket Wireless customer and Online Advocate
(Email removed by @musicdjm)
[please refrain from posting personal contact information in the community for your own safety]

Comments

• dr.mdr.m AustinPosts: 159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Who is "we." I think it is just "you." Don't presume to speak for "we."
    And why remove it? Some people might like it as it is.
    Why not just use the Google keyboard? If it isn't already on the device, you can download it.

If you don't like the phone as offered, then don't buy it. Go buy something else.

• Toe_kneeToe_knee USAPosts: 1 ✭✭

I agree with OP. It would also be nice to use the consumed space for something other than the Chinese or french keyboard.

• FiarreFiarre N/APosts: 4 ✭✭✭

@dr.m said:
    Who is "we." I think it is just "you." Don't presume to speak for "we."
    And why remove it? Some people might like it as it is.
    Why not just use the Google keyboard? If it isn't already on the device, you can download it.

If you don't like the phone as offered, then don't buy it. Go buy something else.

The problem is that the app is preinstalled and cannot be disabled. It displays ads and sends notifications regardless of what the active keyboard is. I use Google Keyboard and have gotten notifications from Touchpal asking me to switch keyboards. It is not reasonable to tell someone to "buy something else" just because they don't want malware on the phone that they paid for.

To others who are having problems with TouchPal:
    You can't disable the app outright, but you can revoke all of its permissions. In your system settings, block all notifications from TouchPal and remove its ability to draw over apps.

Go to the Device Settings
    Tap "Apps"
    On the top right, tap the gear icon
    Under Advanced, chose "Draw over other apps"
    Find TouchPal and turn it off

• FiarreFiarre N/APosts: 4 ✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

I recommended the same thing and a few people said that TouchPal still overrides that.

I haven't seen anything from Touchpal since I revoked the permissions on my Grand X Max 2, but it isn't my main device anymore so I haven't spent much time using it. What kinds of ads are you seeing after revoking the permissions? I only ever got notifications from Touchpal but some people reported seeing ads on their lock screen, though taking away its ability to draw over apps should prevent that from happening.

In any case, ZTE needs to remove Touchpal from their stock ROM or at the very least, allow it to be disabled. Google is also cracking down on malicious apps with Play Protect; hopefully they'll classify Touchpal as malware and force them to remove the aggressive advertising from the app.