Post your random thoughts here.

Comments

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:
    Pixel 2 with 4.9-inch 1080p screen and no headphone jack? How do y'all feel about that? Is 1080p on a 4.9-inch screen enough?

1080 is fine for a 4.9" screen. I just could never go back to that small screen.

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:
    Pixel 2 with 4.9-inch 1080p screen and no headphone jack? How do y'all feel about that? Is 1080p on a 4.9-inch screen enough?

1080 is fine for a 4.9" screen. I just could never go back to that small screen.

I think it is too. I think it's fine for 5.5 inches too but some people don't think so. The OP5 screen was only 1080p and it looked great. 4.9 inch for the price Google is going to want for it is a no-go for me. It's just too small. I guess there are people who like smaller screens though.

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

I think it is too. I think it's fine for 5.5 inches too but some people don't think so. The OP5 screen was only 1080p and it looked great. 4.9 inch for the price Google is going to want for it is a no-go for me. It's just too small. I guess there are people who like smaller screens though.

Agreed, a good 1080 screen will look great on a 5.5" device also.

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

Agreed, a good 1080 screen will look great on a 5.5" device also.

It sure will. I don't think there's a display put that looks better than the one on the s8 though. It's just beautiful. Amazing really. With that said, I would've been happy with the OnePlus 5 if not for the scrolling issues I was having. The OnePlus 5 display looked just as good or better than the display on my 6p to me. It definitely got brighter. That's one bad thing about the 6p display. It doesn't get very bright.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:

1080 is fine on a screen that size. Pretty much any screen size actually. 2K screens are great but I don't think that they're worth the extra battery drain.

@hollap said:

@westside80 said:

4.9" screen is too small for me now. 5.5" is the sweet spot.

I agree about the 4.9 " screen being too small but would be fine with a 6" screen depending upon the size of the bezels.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@westside80 said:

I agree about the 4.9 " screen being too small but would be fine with a 6" screen depending upon the size of the bezels.

I think the PXL2 is going to have a 6 inch screen.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@westside80 said:

And small bezels. Except for the price that phone sounds fantastic if all of the rumors are true.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@westside80 said:

And small bezels. Except for the price that phone sounds fantastic if all of the rumors are true.

And no headphone jack. it's going to be a great phone though. It's supposed to have a squeeze frame like the u11 as well. It'll be out of my price range though, at least until next year when they have their back-to-school special and knock off a couple hundred dollars.

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:
    Well, the Zenfone AR is officially available now. It's an interesting concept, but it seems like they did themselves a disservice by releasing with the SD 821 instead of the 835. I got a bad taste in my mouth for Asus phones after the Zenfone 2, but now that they've abandoned the already sunk ship of intel processors they seem to be headed in the right direction.

I agree about the SD 835. Not that I'm interested in buying one but does that phone only work with Verizon?

The only carrier that sells it is Verizon, but it's available unlocked for all networks.

Does anyone know what Google is calling "instant apps"? Over the last few days on every device that I have I will see at some random time that Google is updating instant apps. It happens very fast so I don't know what these apps are. And this is in spite of having the Play Store set to "do not auto update apps". It doesn't leave anything in the status bar when it's finished like it does when an app is updated. It has happened just once on each device.

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Does anyone know what Google is calling "instant apps"? Over the last few days on every device that I have I will see at some random time that Google is updating instant apps. It happens very fast so I don't know what these apps are. And this is in spite of having the Play Store set to "do not auto update apps". It doesn't leave anything in the status bar when it's finished like it does when an app is updated. It has happened just once on each device.

Apparently it allows you to use some apps without actually installing them.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7240211?hl=en

@jimlloyd40 said:

It's something new. There's supposedly some apps that you can try out without actually downloading and I think the "Instant Apps" is something to do with Google's services. Not sure how you stop that. Try going to settings and then tap on "Google" and see if you see anything labeled "instant apps."

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Apparently it allows you to use some apps without actually installing them.

https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/7240211?hl=en

Thank you @kidnova, very helpful.

Went to the Google settings and "instant apps" is turned off by default. Turning it on just says that instant apps that you use will appear here. I wish that it would say what these apps are. I left it turned off since I don't know what apps they are especially considering the potential security problem.

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Went to the Google settings and "instant apps" is turned off by default. Turning it on just says that instant apps that you use will appear here. I wish that it would say what these apps are. I left it turned off since I don't know what apps they are especially considering the potential security problem.

Seems like an interesting feature, especially if it gets picked up by some of the companies that make games. Some of the games I have on my phone are a GB or larger in size. If I could instead play those via instant app on the server side it would be a great space saver.

What makes an app eligible to be used as an instant app? I'll take the time later to read more about it but on the surface it looks like there could be security issues.

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Seems like an interesting feature, especially if it gets picked up by some of the companies that make games. Some of the games I have on my phone are a GB or larger in size. If I could instead play those via instant app on the server side it would be a great space saver.

I can see some great uses for this but I did read more about it and it's definitely a security risk. One of the apps that was already linked on my A7 was Engadget which gave them the right to read my contacts. I disabled that link because Engadget doesn't need to read my contacts. There were others also so I just disabled the link to the ones that I didn't feel safe with. At least Google did the right thing and disables the setting by default.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:
    Well, the Zenfone AR is officially available now. It's an interesting concept, but it seems like they did themselves a disservice by releasing with the SD 821 instead of the 835. I got a bad taste in my mouth for Asus phones after the Zenfone 2, but now that they've abandoned the already sunk ship of intel processors they seem to be headed in the right direction.

I agree about the SD 835. Not that I'm interested in buying one but does that phone only work with Verizon?

The only carrier that sells it is Verizon, but it's available unlocked for all networks.

Making it LOOK like you can only use it at Verizon. Ugh, I hate when they do that.

@hollap said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

Making it LOOK like you can only use it at Verizon. Ugh, I hate when they do that.

Same here. That's why I asked because I was pretty sure that it was available unlocked but like you just said it didn't read that way.

edited August 8, 2017 1:14PM

I don't worry too much about security issues on my phone. I do on my laptop though. I've never had any security risks on my phone. I think security issues are mainly on older devices that are no longer supported or with very old security patches. That's just my opinion though. I feel like my phone is pretty safe. There's always a possibility but it's unlikely unless you're installing shady apps or apps from unknown sources.

@jimlloyd40 Do you still have your Alcatel phone?

@westside80 said:
    I don't worry too much about security issues on my phone. I do on my laptop though. I've never had any security risks on my phone. I think security issues are mainly on older devices that are no longer supported or with very old security patches. That's just my opinion though. I feel like my phone is pretty safe. There's always a possibility but it's unlikely unless you're installing shady apps or apps from unknown sources.

The instant apps thing bothers me because I used to login to Android Authority so that I could comment and I would use my G+ credentials to do so. Android Authority got hacked and my email address was compromised because I logged into AA using Google. That's why I'm not crazy about the link connections.

@westside80 said:
    @jimlloyd40 Do you still have your Alcatel phone?

Yes. I'll send you an email about it.

Andy Rubin 's Essential phone just got a major boost today. Amazon not only is going to sell it but has also invested in it. This should quiet the naysayers that have been saying that the phone will never go on sale. Jeff Bezos didn't become the second richest man on the planet by making poor investments. Actually Bezos is the richest man in the world depending on what Amazon 's stock price is on any given day. He and Gates go back and forth.

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Andy Rubin 's Essential phone just got a major boost today. Amazon not only is going to sell it but has also invested in it. This should quiet the naysayers that have been saying that the phone will never go on sale. Jeff Bezos didn't become the second richest man on the planet by making poor investments. Actually Bezos is the richest man in the world depending on what Amazon 's stock price is on any given day. He and Gates go back and forth.

I'm very interested in the phone, but the price is on the high end. It definitely seems to be all the things you would want out of a premium android phone though, minus the headphone jack. :disappointed: :

edited August 9, 2017 10:11PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

It sounds like a solid device. I like the fact that it is made out of titanium with a ceramic back. It is not supposed to scratch. I will be interested to see the reviews on it.

edited August 9, 2017 9:17PM

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

It sounds like a solid device. I like the fact that it is made out of titanium and a ceramic back. It is not supposed to scratch. I will be interested to see the reviews on it.

I'm interested to see the reviews as well. For those that don't know, I sold my s8 and bought an s8+. I am very happy I done that.

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I'm very interested in the phone, but the price is on the high end. It definitely seems to be all the things you would want out of a premium android phone though, minus the headphone jack. :disappointed: :

It's $699. On the higher side but not as high as I would have guessed.

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

It sounds like a solid device. I like the fact that it is made out of titanium with a ceramic back. It is not supposed to scratch. I will be interested to see the reviews on it.

I'll be waiting for the reviews also. Like most people I'm expecting a lot from the guy that invented Android.