Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

Post your random thoughts here.

Comments

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 6,652 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Andy Rubin 's Essential phone just got a major boost today. Amazon not only is going to sell it but has also invested in it. This should quiet the naysayers that have been saying that the phone will never go on sale. Jeff Bezos didn't become the second richest man on the planet by making poor investments. Actually Bezos is the richest man in the world depending on what Amazon 's stock price is on any given day. He and Gates go back and forth.

It sounds like a solid device. I like the fact that it is made out of titanium with a ceramic back. It is not supposed to scratch. I will be interested to see the reviews on it.

I'll be waiting for the reviews also. Like most people I'm expecting a lot from the guy that invented Android.

It's a plain vanilla phone with almost all the hardware specs leaked. What else is there to expect?

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 277 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2017 8:54AM

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Andy Rubin 's Essential phone just got a major boost today. Amazon not only is going to sell it but has also invested in it. This should quiet the naysayers that have been saying that the phone will never go on sale. Jeff Bezos didn't become the second richest man on the planet by making poor investments. Actually Bezos is the richest man in the world depending on what Amazon 's stock price is on any given day. He and Gates go back and forth.

It sounds like a solid device. I like the fact that it is made out of titanium and a ceramic back. It is not supposed to scratch. I will be interested to see the reviews on it.

I'm interested to see the reviews as well. For those that don't know, I sold my s8 and bought an s8+. I am very happy I done that.

Excellent decision. I've got the S8+ as well and it's great. It's the first "phablet" that I've owned that's comfortable for one-handed operation. Also, if you thought the battery life on the S8 was good, you'll love it on the S8+.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 11,802 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

It sounds like a solid device. I like the fact that it is made out of titanium with a ceramic back. It is not supposed to scratch. I will be interested to see the reviews on it.

I'll be waiting for the reviews also. Like most people I'm expecting a lot from the guy that invented Android.

It's a plain vanilla phone with almost all the hardware specs leaked. What else is there to expect?

For me it's not an expectation but a curiosity with regards to how good the allegedly great camera is and just how close to stock Android it is and if there are any special security aspects. Just generally how good of a job the creator of Android is able to do.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

For me it's not an expectation but a curiosity with regards to how good the allegedly great camera is and just how close to stock Android it is and if there are any special security aspects. Just generally how good of a job the creator of Android is able to do.

It's getting harder and harder to determine what stock Android actually is now that Google dropped the Nexus lines. Most cameras are good enough for me, but LG V30 dropped the camera news for low light lovers:
    https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/10/lg-v30-camera-f-stop-aperture/

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

It's getting harder and harder to determine what stock Android actually is now that Google dropped the Nexus lines. Most cameras are good enough for me, but LG V30 dropped the camera news for low light lovers:

It is getting difficult to compare a phone to stock Android but for me I am comparing it to the Nexus phones when I say stock. And I also think of the Moto X pure edition. It was stock with extra customizations. Much like adding an app to customize something. Definitely not an entire UI such as Touchwiz, Sense or MiFavor.
    The V30 mentioned being the first with a 1.6 aperture but it didn't say what size of pixels it is using.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

It is getting difficult to compare a phone to stock Android but for me I am comparing it to the Nexus phones when I say stock. And I also think of the Moto X pure edition. It was stock with extra customizations. Much like adding an app to customize something. Definitely not an entire UI such as Touchwiz, Sense or MiFavor.
    The V30 mentioned being the first with a 1.6 aperture but it didn't say what size of pixels it is using.

I'm also guessing it's only a matter of when not if Samsung will release Tizen OS on its devices. Maybe not in the US, at least right away, but I think we'll see it some day.

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kidnova said:

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

It sounds like a solid device. I like the fact that it is made out of titanium and a ceramic back. It is not supposed to scratch. I will be interested to see the reviews on it.

I'm interested to see the reviews as well. For those that don't know, I sold my s8 and bought an s8+. I am very happy I done that.

Excellent decision. I've got the S8+ as well and it's great. It's the first "phablet" that I've owned that's comfortable for one-handed operation. Also, if you thought the battery life on the S8 was good, you'll love it on the S8+.

I can already tell the battery life is quite a bit better. I don't consider it a comfortable phone to use in one hand though. The s8 was but the plus is a little big for comfortable one handed use for me. It's a great phone though. I really like it.

@westside80 said:

@kidnova said:

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I can already tell the battery life is quite a bit better. I don't consider it a comfortable phone to use in one hand though. The s8 was but the plus is a little big for comfortable one handed use for me. It's a great phone though. I really like it.

The S8 is exactly the same as the S8 + isn't it except for the screen size and battery?

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

To me, stock is whatever is on Google's phone. Stock Android has always been what Google puts on their phones. Google's adding more features on their phones but it's still stock android because it's on a Google phone.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@kidnova said:

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

The S8 is exactly the same as the S8 + isn't it except for the screen size and battery?

Yes

Samsung's browser app is now available for any Android phone running Android 5.0 or newer. It comes with Adblock pre-installed and supports other browser extensions. It's supposed to use less battery than Chrome. Anyone who has used both Chrome and the Samsung browser what is your opinion? It also can synchronize your bookmarks from Chrome.

edited August 11, 2017 11:26PM

You can now download the Google camera app with HDR+ support to your non-Nexus/Pixel phone! Check the link. It's working on my s8+ but it does have a focus bug and only goes up to 1080p recording. It would still be good to take some pictures with. Sometimes when I open the app it won't auto-focus right away so it's a little buggy but that HDR+ mode is so worth it! It'll also work with the OP3/3T and other phones with the 820, 821 and 835.

https://www.xda-developers.com/google-camera-hdr-ported/

edited August 11, 2017 11:30PM

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Samsung's browser app is now available for any Android phone running Android 5.0 or newer. It comes with Adblock pre-installed and supports other browser extensions. It's supposed to use less battery than Chrome. Anyone who has used both Chrome and the Samsung browser what is your opinion? It also can synchronize your bookmarks from Chrome.

I even use the Sammy browser on my 6p. I haven't used Chrome in a long time. It does use less battery than Chrome. I can confirm that. It's also faster due to the ad-blockers. I don't think the ad-blockers come pre-installed but you can install them from the Play Store easily. I installed AdGaurd. DisConnect and AdBlock Fast. It's a great browser. Sammy giving the browser up and XDA giving the Google camera app with HDR+ support to a bunch of phones. Great things are happening!

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I even use the Sammy browser on my 6p. I haven't used Chrome in a long time. It does use less battery than Chrome. I can confirm that. It's also faster due to the ad-blockers. I don't think the ad-blockers come pre-installed but you can install them from the Play Store easily. I installed AdGaurd. DisConnect and AdBlock Fast. It's a great browser. Sammy giving the browser up and XDA giving the Google camera app with HDR+ support to a bunch of phones. Great things are happening!

Can you add an ad blocker to Chrome? Also even though your S8 + takes great pictures you can see a difference with the Google camera app using HDR +?

edited August 12, 2017 12:52AM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Can you add an ad blocker to Chrome? Also even though your S8 + takes great pictures you can see a difference with the Google camera app using HDR +?

I can definitely see a difference when I use the Google camera app on my s8+. HDR+ really works. Google nailed that feature. I took a picture of my TV remote with the stock s8 camera app with HDR on and a picture with the Google camera app with HDR+ on. The Google camera app with HDR+ took the better picture. It's just something about the HDR+ processing that makes the difference. Both pictures looked great but the HDR+ on the Google camera app looked better.

No, you can't add ad blockers to Chrome on mobile. Not yet anyways.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I can definitely see a difference when I use the Google camera app on my s8+. HDR+ really works. Google nailed that feature. I took a picture of my TV remote with the stock s8 camera app with HDR on and a picture with the Google camera app with HDR+ on. The Google camera app with HDR+ took the better picture. It's just something about the HDR+ processing that makes the difference. Both pictures looked great but the HDR+ on the Google camera app looked better.

Thanks @westside80 I'll have to try the Samsung browser and the Google camera app.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Thanks @westside80 I'll have to try the Samsung browser and the Google camera app.

I think you'll like both. I don't know if you'll have the auto focus bug on your U11 or not. You'll just have to see. The focus doesn't work exactly right on my s8+ with the Google camera app. Sometimes I have to touch the screen to get it to focus but you may not experience it. Samsung Internet or Samsung Internet beta are both good.

@westside80 You should have a delivery on Tuesday.

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @westside80 You should have a delivery on Tuesday.

Yep. I saw it on the UPS app. Should be Tuesday, maybe Monday.

edited August 13, 2017 1:49AM

Shortcutter just added a black and white tile. Great idea! Now anyone can have the new "Reading mode" feature that's on the OnePlus 5. It turns your whole screen monochrome. Shortcutter is the best tile app on the Play Store in my opinion. It's gotten so much better since it was first released. The dev's new app Adapticons is great too. It lets you create or change any icon you want. You can change the shape, color, size and more of any icon. You can even import icons from 3rd party icon packs. It's a pretty cool idea.

@westside80 said:
    Shortcutter just added a black and white tile. Great idea! Now anyone can have the new "Reading mode" feature that's on the OnePlus 5. It turns your whole screen monochrome. Shortcutter is the best tile app on the Play Store in my opinion. It's gotten so much better since it was first released. The dev's new app Adapticons is great too. It lets you create or change any icon you want. You can change the shape, color, size and more of any icon. You can even import icons from 3rd party icon packs. It's a pretty cool idea.

Never heard of those. Thanks @westside80. Does Adapticons let you change the look of an icon if you're using a launcher that has options for icons?

@westside80 I downloaded the Google camera app on my A7 and A7 on Lineage. The app crashes on the stock A7 but works great on the Lineage one. You're just full of useful stuff lately. Thank you.

edited August 13, 2017 1:06PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

Never heard of those. Thanks @westside80. Does Adapticons let you change the look of an icon if you're using a launcher that has options for icons?

Yes, Adapticons lets you change ANY icon. Shortcutter allows you to add different tiles to the notification shade. I'm really digging the Black and White tile.

@westside80 Did you try the Google camera on your A7? Crashes on my stock A7.

@jimlloyd40 said:

I didn't. I only tried it on my s8+. I can install it on there and see if it crashes. It wasn't guaranteed to work on all 820/821/835 phones though.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I didn't. I only tried it on my s8+. I can install it on there and see if it crashes. It wasn't guaranteed to work on all 820/821/835 phones though.

Like I said it does work on the A7 running Lineage but I shouldn't be surprised by that. And WOW what a difference. Who knew that the camera could be this good on an A7. Can't wait to try a low light picture to see if it helps as much since that's where the A7 struggles the most. And thanks because I wouldn't have seen that if it wasn't for you.

@jimlloyd40 said:

It crashed on my A7 too.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Like I said it does work on the A7 running Lineage but I shouldn't be surprised by that. And WOW what a difference. Who knew that the camera could be this good on an A7. Can't wait to try a low light picture to see if it helps as much since that's where the A7 struggles the most. And thanks because I wouldn't have seen that if it wasn't for you.

You're welcome. Anytime I find something I think is cool I always try to let others know about it unless someone else has already posted it. The reason it takes better pictures is because of the HDR+. I bet it will help the A7 camera in low light. People on the OnePlus forums are saying the modded Google camera app takes better depth effect picture than the stock OP camera. That HDR+ works wonders. It is working on my s8+ but the auto focus is buggy. Sometimes it won't focus until I tap the screen. It's easy to tell the difference though. Take the same picture of something with and without the Google camera and you'll see the wondrous HDR+ working miracles. Lol

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

You're welcome. Anytime I find something I think is cool I always try to let others know about it unless someone else has already posted it. The reason it takes better pictures is because of the HDR+. I bet it will help the A7 camera in low light. People on the OnePlus forums are saying the modded Google camera app takes better depth effect picture than the stock OP camera. That HDR+ works wonders. It is working on my s8+ but the auto focus is buggy. Sometimes it won't focus until I tap the screen. It's easy to tell the difference though. Take the same picture of something with and without the Google camera and you'll see the wondrous HDR+ working miracles. Lol

Yeah the sample pictures on XDA are a startling difference. I'll try it on the U11 later.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Yeah the sample pictures on XDA are a startling difference. I'll try it on the U11 later.

If HDR+ helped the picture quality on my s8+ then I'm sure it'll do the same on the U11.