Post your random thoughts here.

Comments

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @dnewman007 you have had Samsung phones before right? How do you compare the old TouchWiz to the new UI that @westside80 said is now called Samsung Experience? Do you notice any lag between screen changes etc?

@jimlloyd40 The new UI is much better. The settings are more stock like than the old one. The S8 does have a ton of settings/adjustments. Once you use it a little bit it's really not bad. Sammy did a great job on this device.

Are you noticing any lag like between screen changes etc?

No not at all.

From what you and @westside80 said it sounds like Samsung finally got rid of the old TouchWiz lag.

@westside80 said:

@wings4annie said:
    Does anyone know if there is going to be a 6 inch flagship device? Otherwise I was thinking of getting the Samsung 8.

Nobody knows unless it's the new Pixel. I hear it's supposed to have a big screen.

The S8+ has a 6.2" screen and like @westside80 said I think one of the new Pixel phones is supposed to be over 6" with much smaller bezels @wings4annie.

@westside80 said:
    I wish Z-Community would copy the OnePlus community and how they have a raffle and you can win things by using your points. I've yet to win anything but it's really cool.

Didn't you win something not too long ago? I don't remember if it was from ZTE.

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:
    I wish Z-Community would copy the OnePlus community and how they have a raffle and you can win things by using your points. I've yet to win anything but it's really cool.

That was from ZTE, not OnePlus.

@westside80 said:
    @jimlloyd40 I can officially say that the battery life on the s8 is a BEAST! I'm already over 4hrs. SOT with 44% battery left, and that's with the screen set to 35% brightness, always on display set to "On" and 2k resolution. I take it that the SD835 must be a lot better when it comes to battery life. I could only imagine that the s8+ would be even better. I'm so glad I decided to get the s8. It was about $100 more dollars than my old OP5 but man it's worth it. The only things I don't like about it is I wish the speaker was on the left side instead of the right because I keep wanting to cover it with my pinky and the fp scanner takes some getting used to. Other than that, it's awesome! Also, I finally got my refund for my OP5. Got the email earlier. Paypal shows that I've been refunded but it's still not showing in my bank yet, or my Paypal balance. It should show up in a couple days, hopefully. A side note, s8 cell signal is good too. It's not as good as the cell signal on my Honor 8 but it's within a couple dBm's. It;s much better than the OP5. Much better. Speaker on the s8 isn't that great, in fact, I don't even think it's as good as the one on the OP5.

Thank you for that @westside80. Are you surprised that it's as good as it is? And I take it that you're keeping it.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @dnewman007 you have had Samsung phones before right? How do you compare the old TouchWiz to the new UI that @westside80 said is now called Samsung Experience? Do you notice any lag between screen changes etc?

@jimlloyd40 The new UI is much better. The settings are more stock like than the old one. The S8 does have a ton of settings/adjustments. Once you use it a little bit it's really not bad. Sammy did a great job on this device.

No not at all.

From what you and @westside80 said it sounds like Samsung finally got rid of the old TouchWiz lag.

Not only is there no lag but I've never had a phone with such smooth scrolling. It's smoother than my 6p, A7 and Honor 8. The s8 is the smoothest running phone I've ever had. I'm really impressed with Sammy and understand why they sell a lot of phones.

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:
    What's up gentlemen? Good idea to start a separate post for chatter. @jimlloyd40, I'll have you know I switched back from Gboard to SwiftKey. SwiftKey just seems to do suggestions better than Gboard does. Both are head and shoulders above TouchPal.

I disagree. Gboard is much better at suggestions, with swipe typing, which is what I do. I'm not sure about the rest so I guess I could say I "half" disagree with you. Lol

I've always liked Gboard.

It's improved so much over the past. In my opinion, no other keyboard comes close. I have Gboard on all my phone's.

I never got the hang of swipe typing.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

That was from ZTE, not OnePlus.

I didn't read it right but if you'll remember I have a problem with seeing things. :D

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:
    @jimlloyd40 I can officially say that the battery life on the s8 is a BEAST! I'm already over 4hrs. SOT with 44% battery left, and that's with the screen set to 35% brightness, always on display set to "On" and 2k resolution. I take it that the SD835 must be a lot better when it comes to battery life. I could only imagine that the s8+ would be even better. I'm so glad I decided to get the s8. It was about $100 more dollars than my old OP5 but man it's worth it. The only things I don't like about it is I wish the speaker was on the left side instead of the right because I keep wanting to cover it with my pinky and the fp scanner takes some getting used to. Other than that, it's awesome! Also, I finally got my refund for my OP5. Got the email earlier. Paypal shows that I've been refunded but it's still not showing in my bank yet, or my Paypal balance. It should show up in a couple days, hopefully. A side note, s8 cell signal is good too. It's not as good as the cell signal on my Honor 8 but it's within a couple dBm's. It;s much better than the OP5. Much better. Speaker on the s8 isn't that great, in fact, I don't even think it's as good as the one on the OP5.

Thank you for that @westside80. Are you surprised that it's as good as it is? And I take it that you're keeping it.

I'm absolutely keeping it. I'll hang onto this phone for awhile. I say that now but ask me again in a few months. LOL. New phones coming out all the time but this phone literally has everything but great speakers. I wish the speaker was on the left instead of right because I always wanna cover it with my pinky and the fingerprint scanner is a bummer, but I'm starting to get used to it.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No not at all.

Not only is there no lag but I've never had a phone with such smooth scrolling. It's smoother than my 6p, A7 and Honor 8. The s8 is the smoothest running phone I've ever had. I'm really impressed with Sammy and understand why they sell a lot of phones.

You're making me want one.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:
    What's up gentlemen? Good idea to start a separate post for chatter. @jimlloyd40, I'll have you know I switched back from Gboard to SwiftKey. SwiftKey just seems to do suggestions better than Gboard does. Both are head and shoulders above TouchPal.

I disagree. Gboard is much better at suggestions, with swipe typing, which is what I do. I'm not sure about the rest so I guess I could say I "half" disagree with you. Lol

It's improved so much over the past. In my opinion, no other keyboard comes close. I have Gboard on all my phone's.

Swipe typing is the greatest thing since sliced bread. It allows me to type so fast.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No not at all.

You're obsessed with speakers though. You better stick with your U11. The s8 speaker gets loud enough but it's not spectacular. I think the OP5 speaker got a little louder.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

I'm absolutely keeping it. I'll hang onto this phone for awhile. I say that now but ask me again in a few months. LOL. New phones coming out all the time but this phone literally has everything but great speakers. I wish the speaker was on the left instead of right because I always wanna cover it with my pinky and the fingerprint scanner is a bummer, but I'm starting to get used to it.

The only Samsung phone that I had was the S6 + and I had the same problem with the speaker on phone calls.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No not at all.

You're obsessed with speakers though. You better stick with your U11. The s8 speaker gets loud enough but it's not spectacular. I think the OP5 speaker got a little louder.

You're right but you're making the S8 sound so (moderated) good. I've just got this problem that I can't keep under control. I've been selling off my phones lately and I guess one can't ever have enough phones or too many phones or something. :p

I was thinking, and I know that's dangerous, of people that I haven't seen in the forum for awhile and one person that came to mind is @mobilegeezer.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No not at all.

You're right but you're making the S8 sound so (moderated) good. I've just got this problem that I can't keep under control. I've been selling off my phones lately and I guess one can't ever have enough phones or too many phones or something. :p

If you're happy with the U11 I'd keep it, unless you already sold it too! I was thinking about enrolling my s8 in the Samsung Care program, it's like an extended warranty for drops and cracked screens, things like that, and I'm not eligible because I didn't buy my phone from Samsung or an authorized retailer. That sucks. I wouldn't have had to worry too much about a cracked screen then. Made me about half mad. I mean, I bought the phone brand new and the guy on eBay said he bought the phone directly from Samsung, so Samsung got the money for the device either way, so I don't understand why I'm not eligible. Makes me ill.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No not at all.

If you're happy with the U11 I'd keep it, unless you already sold it too! I was thinking about enrolling my s8 in the Samsung Care program, it's like an extended warranty for drops and cracked screens, things like that, and I'm not eligible because I didn't buy my phone from Samsung or an authorized retailer. That sucks. I wouldn't have had to worry too much about a cracked screen then. Made me about half mad. I mean, I bought the phone brand new and the guy on eBay said he bought the phone directly from Samsung, so Samsung got the money for the device either way, so I don't understand why I'm not eligible. Makes me ill.

Nope didn't sell the U11 it's a keeper. Can you get an insurance policy from Square?

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No not at all.

Nope didn't sell the U11 it's a keeper. Can you get an insurance policy from Square?

I don't know. I don't know much about stuff like that. I'm gonna crash but I'd like some more info on that tomorrow.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No not at all.

I don't know. I don't know much about stuff like that. I'm gonna crash but I'd like some more info on that tomorrow.

I'll be here. I don't know if Square will insure a phone through a private sale but it's worth checking out.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,920 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No not at all.

The scrolling is just like an iphone. My old Note 5 scrolled the same, very smooth.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@hollap said:

Me either, I type slow at best.
    :wink:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No not at all.

I agree the speaker is average at best. The A7 will definitely spoil you.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:
    I was thinking, and I know that's dangerous, of people that I haven't seen in the forum for awhile and one person that came to mind is @mobilegeezer.

He's still doing all of his YouTube videos on his channel and on Twitter. I don't see him around here as much except when posting in the #shotonaxon thread.

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

He's still doing all of his YouTube videos on his channel and on Twitter. I don't see him around here as much except when posting in the #shotonaxon thread.

Thanks for the update @hollap.

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No not at all.

The scrolling is just like an iphone. My old Note 5 scrolled the same, very smooth.

The scrolling on this phone is gonna spoil me. You'd think that scrolling is something all phones could get right by now. Even Google lacks behind Samsung and Apple when it comes to scrolling. I don't know what it is but the scrolling just seems so smooth, no lag or stutters in any app that I've used so far. Wish I could say the same for my other phones.

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No not at all.

The scrolling on this phone is gonna spoil me. You'd think that scrolling is something all phones could get right by now. Even Google lacks behind Samsung and Apple when it comes to scrolling. I don't know what it is but the scrolling just seems so smooth, no lag or stutters in any app that I've used so far. Wish I could say the same for my other phones.

I don't have an iPhone or S8 but scrolling is fine on my A7 's, Idol 4S and HTC U11.
    Brian I checked the Squaretrade insurance and you can get it for your S8. Just need proof of purchase. I think it said $89 for one year and $149 for 2 years and $179 for 3 years.

edited July 19, 2017 11:45AM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No not at all.

I don't have an iPhone or S8 but scrolling is fine on my A7 's, Idol 4S and HTC U11.
    Brian I checked the Squaretrade insurance and you can get it for your S8. Just need proof of purchase. I think it said $89 for one year and $149 for 2 years and $179 for 3 years.

Is that the standard insurance or the accident insurance? I noticed there were two different plans you can get on eBay. The s8 I bought didn't have the Square trade insurance listed on its page. I did message the seller and asked if he possibly had the receipt for the phone. I figured it was worth a shot. As for scrolling, the A7 scrolling isn't as good as the s8, it's not bad on the A7 or 6p but not as good. Hard to explain but there's just something about the scrolling on the s8 that's different.

edited July 19, 2017 11:48AM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No not at all.

Proof of purchase? You mean a receipt from Samsung, which I don't have, unless they would take proof from PayPal receipt. I really wanted the Samsung Care. It's $11.99 a month and you can quit paying it anytime. It's a little more expensive but it would be worth the peace of mind.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No not at all.

Proof of purchase? You mean a receipt from Samsung, which I don't have, unless they would take proof from PayPal receipt. I really wanted the Samsung Care. It's only $11.99 a month and you can quit paying it anytime.

Your PayPal receipt is fine according to their website. I don't know if there is an insurance company that you can pay as you go.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No not at all.

Proof of purchase? You mean a receipt from Samsung, which I don't have, unless they would take proof from PayPal receipt. I really wanted the Samsung Care. It's only $11.99 a month and you can quit paying it anytime.

Your PayPal receipt is fine according to their website. I don't know if there is an insurance company that you can pay as you go.

You pay as you go with Samsung Care but it's more expensive. The guy I bought it from on eBay said he thought he had the receipt and offered to email it to me if he can find it. Would that work for proof of purchase, if he emailed me a copy of the receipt?