Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

Post your random thoughts here.

Comments

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Anyone have any thoughts on the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 introduced today for about $500 with global LTE radios? But no band 71 for T-Mobile.
    Flagship specs but I don't know how hard it will be to get one.

You would have to buy it and have it shipped from overseas. For that price, there are better choices here in the states. The LG G6 is only $449 and has a 2k screen and minimal bezels, water and dust resistance, better camera, wide angle camera and headphone jack but it also has the 821 instead of the 835. If the G6 had the 835 in it I would already own it. I love the feel and look of that phone. I like that it's kind of thick and it just looks nice.

I'm not thinking about buying it. I just felt the need to post something in here because the forum is so quiet. :dizzy:
    Off to work now.

I knew you weren't buying it because I know what phone you're buying next.

I know that you know I'm thinking about the Pixel XL 2 but I've got my eye on 2 other phones also. So @westside80 see if you can guess the other 2. You should know one of them.

@ironbaybeedoll said:
    Actually, it is very possible to get a new social security number issued. It just requires a few hoops, and is of course after some damage has occurred. If you are are a victim of identity theft or domestic violence, they have a process in place. You, for either instance would have a paper trail, and evidence. Police reports, credit reports, bank statements, and a history of filed complaints. The SSA requires you to show that you are truly a victim of identity theft, and show that you have made complaints, and done everything in your power to stop it. (Domestic Violence is a little different, with SSA as it involves several agencies working together to assist in building a whole new identity rather than just a SS# change, and not relevant to this community and a topic best left to other sites)

It's a shame that you have to have had that level of severity to change your SS #. Especially in light of the Equifax fiasco because for a lot of people it seems certain that it's just a matter of time before something like you mentioned happens. The identity theft that is not the domestic violence.

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,420 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Anyone have any thoughts on the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 introduced today for about $500 with global LTE radios? But no band 71 for T-Mobile.

You would have to buy it and have it shipped from overseas. For that price, there are better choices here in the states. The LG G6 is only $449 and has a 2k screen and minimal bezels, water and dust resistance, better camera, wide angle camera and headphone jack but it also has the 821 instead of the 835. If the G6 had the 835 in it I would already own it. I love the feel and look of that phone. I like that it's kind of thick and it just looks nice.

I'm not thinking about buying it. I just felt the need to post something in here because the forum is so quiet. :dizzy:
    Off to work now.

I know that you know I'm thinking about the Pixel XL 2 but I've got my eye on 2 other phones also. So @westside80 see if you can guess the other 2. You should know one of them.

I would guess the PXL2, v30 and maybe the Note 8 or Mi Mix 2. Not for sure what the third one would be.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Off to work now.

I would guess the PXL2, v30 and maybe the Note 8 or Mi Mix 2. Not for sure what the third one would be.

The V30 is the one that I didn't think you would guess but the other one I asked you some questions about that company and talked about the processor looking intriguing.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Off to work now.

The V30 is the one that I didn't think you would guess but the other one I asked you some questions about that company and talked about the processor looking intriguing.

Oh yeah, duh, the Mate 10. I forgot all about that one. Word is that the v30 will cost around $800 to $850 in the US. At that price, a man may as well hold off to see the price of the PXL2. I won't buy the v30 as soon as it comes out anyway. I learned my lesson on being an early adopter.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Off to work now.

Oh yeah, duh, the Mate 10. I forgot all about that one. Word is that the v30 will cost around $800 to $850 in the US. At that price, a man may as well hold off to see the price of the PXL2. I won't buy the v30 as soon as it comes out anyway. I learned my lesson on being an early adopter.

I was waiting for you to get the V30 before I considered that one. The PXL2 is the front runner if the rumors are true. Especially the rumor about the reduced bezels and dual speakers. If the Mate 10 has a very loud speaker I would consider it if that processor is as innovative as it sounds.

@westside80 it would probably be less expensive if I would just go get some counseling and just stay with the U11. :D I definitely would have been interested in an Axon 8 if those rumors are true about reduced bezels and maintaining the dual speakers.

@benkores said:
    Lineage 15 (Android O) is progressing nicely for the Axon 7. Everything works except VOLTE, camera and fingerprint.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/axon-7/how-to/oh-lineageos-15-t3668956/page1

@benkores isn't adding the Camera2 API something that XDA could do? That would allow us to install the Google camera app and use the HDR +.

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @westside80 it would probably be less expensive if I would just go get some counseling and just stay with the U11. :D I definitely would have been interested in an Axon 8 if those rumors are true about reduced bezels and maintaining the dual speakers.

Whatever phone I buy next I plan on keeping for at least a full 12 months. That's why I'm taking my time and making the right decision. I probably won't buy anything until I see the price on the PXL2. Then I'll decide which phone I want. I thought about the G6 just because it's cheaper and I could save some money but the thing holding me back is the 821 processor.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Whatever phone I buy next I plan on keeping for at least a full 12 months. That's why I'm taking my time and making the right decision. I probably won't buy anything until I see the price on the PXL2. Then I'll decide which phone I want. I thought about the G6 just because it's cheaper and I could save some money but the thing holding me back is the 821 processor.

From everything that I've read the V30 blows away the G6 so that's a good decision.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 6,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

From everything that I've read the V30 blows away the G6 so that's a good decision.

V30 for the win Gentlemen. You don't want a G6. PXL2 may be an option if that damn price rumor for the V30 holds true. Samsung better look out. OEMs are gunning for them now, with products to match!

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

V30 for the win Gentlemen. You don't want a G6. PXL2 may be an option if that damn price rumor for the V30 holds true. Samsung better look out. OEMs are gunning for them now, with products to match!

@hollap the Mate 10 looks like it's going to be pretty special also especially the processor. Haven't the other OEMs been gunning for Samsung for a long time? Samsung just has such a loyal following people are conditioned to just go get the next Galaxy.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,824 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap the Mate 10 looks like it's going to be pretty special also especially the processor. Haven't the other OEMs been gunning for Samsung for a long time? Samsung just has such a loyal following people are conditioned to just go get the next Galaxy.

@jimlloyd40 I believe you are right about Samsung. They are like Apple with their loyal following. It will take something very special to alter it in my opinion.

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@jimlloyd40 I believe you are right about Samsung. They are like Apple with their loyal following. It will take something very special to alter it in my opinion.

Right. Where I work out of 30 some people who use Android phones only 2 of those is not a Samsung phone. They aren't aware of any competitors. It used to be the 2 year contract that had them getting their next phone. Since the contracts are over now, thanks to T-Mobile, it will be interesting to see if they become aware of competitors to Samsung. Probably not though because of trade in programs. Samsungs advertising clout makes it difficult for competitors to get noticed also.

edited September 12, 2017 11:08AM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Right. Where I work out of 30 some people who use Android phones only 2 of those is not a Samsung phone. They aren't aware of any competitors. It used to be the 2 year contract that had them getting their next phone. Since the contracts are over now, thanks to T-Mobile, it will be interesting to see if they become aware of competitors to Samsung. Probably not though because of trade in programs. Samsungs advertising clout makes it difficult for competitors to get noticed also.

After I posted that I realized that pretty much nothing is going to help Samsungs competitors because Samsung can do no wrong. After the Note 7 battery disaster one would expect Samsung to struggle a little especially if they were to do a Note follow up phone. Remember some people expected them to drop the Note name completely. Well they introduced the Note 8 and all indications are the Note 8 has set record pre sales numbers. I guess Samsung can do no wrong.

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I wasn't too impressed with my first experience with Samsung. Note 8 is a great looking phone but so was the s8 and every one of those that I went through had something wrong with them. Either edges looked distorted or the display went pink when tilted at the slightest angle. The only really good one that I had that I didn't have to adjust the red color slider ended up getting a permanent red dot on the screen. Samsung also sent me a case that looked like it had already been used. I doubt I'll be going back the Samsung route anytime soon.

Got my Cricket starter kit ordered. Let's hope I have better luck than when I ordered the Straight Talk starter kit. I never even got it and the charge finally fell off my account. I wrote down my order number this time though. I learned my lesson on that. I checked and it said my order was still processing. I got overnight shipping but I highly doubt it'll be here tomorrow. As long as it comes by the 20th it'll be okay. I just hope it comes. I had a horrible time trying to order a Straight Talk starter kit online. We'll see I guess.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Gunning for them yes, but now multiple vendors finally have products that match up.

I agree, Samsung has a very loyal following, and with good reason. I just think that possibly they are pushing out too much even for them. If quality begins to dip because you are trying to rush products out and cannot support the software as much as in the past, others may get a chance to sneak in.

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Gunning for them yes, but now multiple vendors finally have products that match up.

I agree @hollap. I just don't know what the other OEMs can do to raise awareness and get people to notice. They don't have Samsungs advertising budget.

I agree @hollap. I just don't know what the other OEMs can do to raise awareness and get people to notice. They don't have Samsungs advertising budget.

I can't argue with you there @jimlloyd40

@hollap said:

I agree, Samsung has a very loyal following, and with good reason. I just think that possibly they are pushing out too much even for them. If quality begins to dip because you are trying to rush products out and cannot support the software as much as in the past, others may get a chance to sneak in.

Agreed. And @westside80 admits to being very picky but he returned 3 of them and 2 of them did have screen defects.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

Agreed. And @westside80 admits to being very picky but he returned 3 of them and 2 of them did have screen defects.

No, I returned 5 of them, only one had a perfect screen but then it got a stuck red Pixel and had to be returned. The last one I took back didn't have a perfect screen. I had to turn the red slider down and half the screen was whiter than the other half. S8 was the worst decision I've made buying a phone. The phone was fine but it's difficult to find one with a good screen and the phone costs too much money not to be near perfect. Plus, the last one I returned kept losing LTE connection on a reboot.

edited September 12, 2017 6:04PM

Windstream is supposed to come Monday and up our home internet from 6Mbps down to 25Mbps down and somehow it's going to be $5 cheaper. I will finally have decent home internet.

edited September 12, 2017 3:44PM

Can you believe the price of the iPhone 8 and 8+?! $699 and $799. Wow. I figured it would be way more than that. Am I an iPhone user now? You can now get the newest iPhones for less than the v30, s8 Plus and probably the PXL2. This blew my mind.

edited September 12, 2017 7:43PM

@westside80 said:
    Can you believe the price of the iPhone 8 and 8+?! $699 and $799. Wow. I figured it would be way more than that. Am I an iPhone user now? You can now get the newest iPhones for less than the v30, s8 Plus and probably the PXL2. This blew my mind.

@westside80 said:

You know the iPhone 8 and 8Plus is basically the same hardware as the 7 and 7 plus, right? I am not surprised that price didn't really go up. Now the iPhone X starts at 999 and is the grandaddy of iPhones now.
    :smiley:

edited September 12, 2017 5:16PM

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@westside80 said:

You know the iPhone 8 and 8Plus is the same hardware as the 7 and 7 plus, right? I am not surprised that price didn't really go up. Now the iPhone X starts at 999 is the grandaddy of iPhones now.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

I have to say that I had S8 Plus's and they were/are excellent. I haven't had any issues at all. I also purchased 2 Note 8's. I sold one Note 8 and my wife is using the other one and it is excellent as well. I set up her Note 8 and love the camera. Thank You T-Mobile for the Buy One Get One Free offers!!
    :wink: :blush:

edited September 12, 2017 6:01PM

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@westside80 said:

You know the iPhone 8 and 8Plus is basically the same hardware as the 7 and 7 plus, right? I am not surprised that price didn't really go up. Now the iPhone X starts at 999 and is the grandaddy of iPhones now.

I wouldn't call it the same. One's metal and one's glass. One has wireless charging and one doesn't. They look the same other than that but there's a lot of improvements as well. I just thought it was funny how they undercut LG, Samsung, HTC and Google, other than the iPhone X, which is only $60 higher than the Note 8.

@dnewman007 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@westside80 said:

You know the iPhone 8 and 8Plus is the same hardware as the 7 and 7 plus, right? I am not surprised that price didn't really go up. Now the iPhone X starts at 999 is the grandaddy of iPhones now.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

I have to say that I had S8 Plus's and they were/are excellent. I haven't had any issues at all. I also purchased 2 Note 8's. I sold one Note 8 and my wife is using the other one and it is excellent as well. I set up her Note 8 and love the camera. Thank You T-Mobile for the Buy One Get One Free offers!!
    :wink: :blush:

I'm glad you had good luck but I didn't and will probably never buy from Samsung again.

edited September 12, 2017 7:21PM

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@westside80 said:

I wouldn't call it the same. One's metal and one's glass. One has wireless charging and one doesn't. They look the same other than that but there's a lot of improvements as well. I just thought it was funny how they undercut LG, Samsung, HTC and Google, other than the iPhone X, which is only $60 higher than the Note 8.

Yea, I know but they look like the old design with the big benzel's and such. They were way behind the curve in wifi charging. It's Apple so they will sell a ton of them anyway. :)