Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

Post your random thoughts here.

Comments

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:
    Can you believe the price of the iPhone 8 and 8+?! $699 and $799. Wow. I figured it would be way more than that. Am I an iPhone user now? You can now get the newest iPhones for less than the v30, s8 Plus and probably the PXL2. This blew my mind.

@westside80 said:
    Can you believe the price of the iPhone 8 and 8+?! $699 and $799. Wow. I figured it would be way more than that. Am I an iPhone user now? You can now get the newest iPhones for less than the v30, s8 Plus and probably the PXL2. This blew my mind.

You know the iPhone 8 and 8Plus is basically the same hardware as the 7 and 7 plus, right? I am not surprised that price didn't really go up. Now the iPhone X starts at 999 and is the grandaddy of iPhones now.
    :smiley:

I wouldn't call it the same. One's metal and one's glass. One has wireless charging and one doesn't. They look the same other than that but there's a lot of improvements as well. I just thought it was funny how they undercut LG, Samsung, HTC and Google, other than the iPhone X, which is only $60 higher than the Note 8.

Yea, I know but they look like the old design with the big benzel's and such. They were way behind the curve in wifi charging. It's Apple so they will sell a ton of them anyway. :)

Apple is always behind but even though you say they were way behind on wireless charging, so was everyone else pretty much. There's not a whole lot of phones that offer wireless charging. There's a few now but if you think about it, not many phones offer wireless charging, mainly because most are metal. iPhone 8 does have big bezels though.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,814 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@westside80 said:

You know the iPhone 8 and 8Plus is basically the same hardware as the 7 and 7 plus, right? I am not surprised that price didn't really go up. Now the iPhone X starts at 999 and is the grandaddy of iPhones now.

I wouldn't call it the same. One's metal and one's glass. One has wireless charging and one doesn't. They look the same other than that but there's a lot of improvements as well. I just thought it was funny how they undercut LG, Samsung, HTC and Google, other than the iPhone X, which is only $60 higher than the Note 8.

Yea, I know but they look like the old design with the big benzel's and such. They were way behind the curve in wifi charging. It's Apple so they will sell a ton of them anyway. :)

Apple is always behind but even though you say they were way behind on wireless charging, so was everyone else pretty much. There's not a whole lot of phones that offer wireless charging. There's a few now but if you think about it, not many phones offer wireless charging, mainly because most are metal. iPhone 8 does have big bezels though.

I guess I was thinking about Samsung and Apple. Sammy had wireless charging on the Note 5 I had.

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@westside80 said:

I guess I was thinking about Samsung and Apple. Sammy had wireless charging on the Note 5 I had.

Yeah, but Samsung is pretty much the only other OEM that has brought wireless charging besides another OEM here and there. That's what I meant. Mark my words though, now that Apple has wireless charging you'll start seeing it everywhere.

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@westside80 said:

I like the edges on the Note 8 much better than the edges on the s8. I still won't buy the Note because I'm mad at them at the moment but I do prefer the edges of the Note 8 over the s8. I also like the more square build of the Note 8 for some reason.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@westside80 said:

Right you are Mr @dnewman007.

@dnewman007 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@westside80 said:

You know the iPhone 8 and 8Plus is the same hardware as the 7 and 7 plus, right? I am not surprised that price didn't really go up. Now the iPhone X starts at 999 is the grandaddy of iPhones now.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@hollap the Mate 10 looks like it's going to be pretty special also especially the processor. Haven't the other OEMs been gunning for Samsung for a long time? Samsung just has such a loyal following people are conditioned to just go get the next Galaxy.

@jimlloyd40 I believe you are right about Samsung. They are like Apple with their loyal following. It will take something very special to alter it in my opinion.

I agree, Samsung has a very loyal following, and with good reason. I just think that possibly they are pushing out too much even for them. If quality begins to dip because you are trying to rush products out and cannot support the software as much as in the past, others may get a chance to sneak in.

Agreed. And @westside80 admits to being very picky but he returned 3 of them and 2 of them did have screen defects.

I have to say that I had S8 Plus's and they were/are excellent. I haven't had any issues at all. I also purchased 2 Note 8's. I sold one Note 8 and my wife is using the other one and it is excellent as well. I set up her Note 8 and love the camera. Thank You T-Mobile for the Buy One Get One Free offers!!
    :wink: :blush:

@dnewman007 just how many phones do you have? You might be worse than all of us. :D If you are a Netflix subscriber don't forget to go into your T-Mobile account and sign up. T-Mobile will pay $10 a month towards your Netflix bill. T-Mobile just keeps getting better and better and pushes the market to match them.

@westside80 said:

@westside80 an iPhone user. Say it ain't so!

To anyone who has a T-Mobile account don't forget to sign up for the Netflix deal. T-Mobile will pay $10 a month towards your Netflix bill. No strings attached. That was their way to match whatever it is you get with the AT&T Direct TV deal. It was cheaper for T-Mobile than buying a TV provider.

@hollap back to our discussion about Samsung being knocked off the perch that they're on. The biggest reason that Samsung stays on top is the carrier relationships. Only LG has a chance to gain market share from them. Take HTC for example. The U11 is "arguably" the equal of the S8. But the average person already owning a Samsung phone is just going to go to their carrier when they decide to upgrade. They've already got Samsung and they're aware of the new Samsung phones because of the marketing that Samsung does. So they can go to the carrier and trade in their phone and walk out with the latest Samsung phone and a monthly payment plan. Well if HTC had equal marketing dollars and that person was interested in trying the HTC phone he or she would go to the carrier and find out that the carrier doesn't have the HTC phone. So the only way they can get the HTC phone is direct from HTC or a third party reseller and pay the full price or finance it through HTC directly or use a credit card. Then they're stuck their old phone and they don't want the hassle of selling it. That's why I say that only LG has a chance. LG has the carrier partnerships but in the past offered somewhat inferior phones to Samsung. Now, if reviews are to be believed, they have a competitive device in the V30. The problem is that without the marketing the average person won't know about the V30 and Samsung just keeps rolling along. And I know that I'm not saying anything that you didn't already know. I just felt compelled to add that to our earlier discussion.

• fzrrichfzrrich Buffalo New YorkPosts: 3,805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:
    To anyone who has a T-Mobile account don't forget to sign up for the Netflix deal. T-Mobile will pay $10 a month towards your Netflix bill. No strings attached. That was their way to match whatever it is you get with the AT&T Direct TV deal. It was cheaper for T-Mobile than buying a TV provider.

I'm on it @jimlloyd40 Thanks!!

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @hollap back to our discussion about Samsung being knocked off the perch that they're on. The biggest reason that Samsung stays on top is the carrier relationships. Only LG has a chance to gain market share from them. Take HTC for example. The U11 is "arguably" the equal of the S8. But the average person already owning a Samsung phone is just going to go to their carrier when they decide to upgrade. They've already got Samsung and they're aware of the new Samsung phones because of the marketing that Samsung does. So they can go to the carrier and trade in their phone and walk out with the latest Samsung phone and a monthly payment plan. Well if HTC had equal marketing dollars and that person was interested in trying the HTC phone he or she would go to the carrier and find out that the carrier doesn't have the HTC phone. So the only way they can get the HTC phone is direct from HTC or a third party reseller and pay the full price or finance it through HTC directly or use a credit card. Then they're stuck their old phone and they don't want the hassle of selling it. That's why I say that only LG has a chance. LG has the carrier partnerships but in the past offered somewhat inferior phones to Samsung. Now, if reviews are to be believed, they have a competitive device in the V30. The problem is that without the marketing the average person won't know about the V30 and Samsung just keeps rolling along. And I know that I'm not saying anything that you didn't already know. I just felt compelled to add that to our earlier discussion.

@jimlloyd40 I agree with your statement.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

@westside80 said:

You know the iPhone 8 and 8Plus is the same hardware as the 7 and 7 plus, right? I am not surprised that price didn't really go up. Now the iPhone X starts at 999 is the grandaddy of iPhones now.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@hollap the Mate 10 looks like it's going to be pretty special also especially the processor. Haven't the other OEMs been gunning for Samsung for a long time? Samsung just has such a loyal following people are conditioned to just go get the next Galaxy.

@jimlloyd40 I believe you are right about Samsung. They are like Apple with their loyal following. It will take something very special to alter it in my opinion.

I agree, Samsung has a very loyal following, and with good reason. I just think that possibly they are pushing out too much even for them. If quality begins to dip because you are trying to rush products out and cannot support the software as much as in the past, others may get a chance to sneak in.

Agreed. And @westside80 admits to being very picky but he returned 3 of them and 2 of them did have screen defects.

I have to say that I had S8 Plus's and they were/are excellent. I haven't had any issues at all. I also purchased 2 Note 8's. I sold one Note 8 and my wife is using the other one and it is excellent as well. I set up her Note 8 and love the camera. Thank You T-Mobile for the Buy One Get One Free offers!!
    :wink: :blush:

@dnewman007 just how many phones do you have? You might be worse than all of us. :D If you are a Netflix subscriber don't forget to go into your T-Mobile account and sign up. T-Mobile will pay $10 a month towards your Netflix bill. T-Mobile just keeps getting better and better and pushes the market to match them.

I have an Axon 7, S8 + and my wife has a Note 8. I love testing different devices. T-MOBILE helped me this year. I'm not sure what I'll pick up next, Pixel 2 XL??

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

Totally agree @jimlloyd40. I'm really rooting for the V30 because I don't like Samsung just like I don't like Apple. Not only do they feed on uninformed people through countless $$$ of marketing, they cram first to market devices at you. The S9 is my example. If they really bring out the S9 in January, and then keep a cycle of new devices in less than a year, nobody will be able to match. And the marketing will continue to get people to buy more and more. I'm no expert on how people should spend their money, but most Americans do not spend it very wisely.

@jimlloyd40 said:

Thanks for the reminder. I'm all signed up.
    :wink:

• chuckbortchuckbort USAPosts: 373 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks but I am on the 2 for $100 promo deal so I'm not eligible. But I did get a third line free so it's okay. I currently have 3 unlimited lines plus a digits line and only pay $100 a month. I use the digits line on my son's iPod so that he can make and receive calls and texts when he is on Wi-Fi since we don't think he is ready for an actual phone yet. Plus I can see everything he sends and receives on my phone too! (He is only 7).

@jimlloyd40 said:

• chuckbortchuckbort USAPosts: 373 ✭✭✭✭✭

My wife thinks that I have a lot of phones. I only have my Axon 7, Honor 6x (got for free to " test") and ZTE Blade Z Max. She has the iPhone 7 plus. At least mine are on the inexpensive side! I do still have an HTC M7 that I take out once and a while just because it was my favorite phone.

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I have an Axon 7, S8 + and my wife has a Note 8. I love testing different devices. T-MOBILE helped me this year. I'm not sure what I'll pick up next, Pixel 2 XL??

@chuckbort said:
    My wife thinks that I have a lot of phones. I only have my Axon 7, Honor 6x (got for free to " test") and ZTE Blade Z Max. She has the iPhone 7 plus. At least mine are on the inexpensive side! I do still have an HTC M7 that I take out once and a while just because it was my favorite phone.

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@chuckbort Nice stable of phones.

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Totally agree @jimlloyd40. I'm really rooting for the V30 because I don't like Samsung just like I don't like Apple. Not only do they feed on uninformed people through countless $$$ of marketing, they cram first to market devices at you. The S9 is my example. If they really bring out the S9 in January, and then keep a cycle of new devices in less than a year, nobody will be able to match. And the marketing will continue to get people to buy more and more. I'm no expert on how people should spend their money, but most Americans do not spend it very wisely.

Agreed @hollap. And I'm happy that we're on the same side of disliking certain companies. I was in a T-Mobile store yesterday finding out how to get the free Netflix deal and I asked the sales guy about the V30. He said that they are going to carry it and saw it a few weeks ago when the LG rep was there. He was very impressed with it.

@chuckbort the M7 was my favorite phone also. I was a huge HTC fan back then. Had all 3 Evo phones the M7 and M8. When the M9 tanked I left HTC and started buying unlocked phones. I do now have the U11 and it's a great phone but I'm afraid it's too little too late for HTC. The best thing they can do is sell out to Google. The U11 got great reviews and sold well in the first month and then tanked. Unfortunately HTC is finished. They just can't sustain the losses.

FWIW HTC stands for "high tech computer" which never made sense to me since I can't find any evidence that they made computers and the early smartphones weren't too computer like.

Pixel event Oct. 4th! Get to saving those pennies!!

@westside80 said:

I'll be watching for sure.

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

I'm excited! With the price of the v30 supposedly going to be $800-$850, the Note 8 at over $900 I may as well wait to see the price of the PXL2 before I spend my cash. At this rate, the PXL2 will cost $1,000 or right under that to compete with the iPhone X price.

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

I'm excited! With the price of the v30 supposedly going to be $800-$850, the Note 8 at over $900 I may as well wait to see the price of the PXL2 before I spend my cash. At this rate, the PXL2 will cost $1,000 or right under that to compete with the iPhone X price.

I agree

Well get this BS, Google is now replacing defective 6p's with a shiny new Pixel XL 32GB. I guess I should've dealt with my early shut down problem a little longer. I could've gotten a PXL. Smh.

@westside80 said:

By the time you save enough pennies for the Pixel XL 2 it will be called the Pixel XL 10. :D

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

Ah ha. We both end up at the same phone taking different routes. Don't forget the Mate 10.

@westside80 said:
    Well get this BS, Google is now replacing defective 6p's with a shiny new Pixel XL 32GB. I guess I should've dealt with my early shut down problem a little longer. I could've gotten a PXL. Smh.

My first thought when I saw that story was how can @westside80 screw up his 6P on purpose to get the Pixel XL. Timing is everything and apparently neither of us have any luck with timing.

@westside80 said:

@dnewman007 said:

@westside80 said:

I read an article last night that said the Pixel 2 XL won't have channel 71. That's too bad for T-MOBILE user's. I believe the V30 is supposed to have 71.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

My first thought when I saw that story was how can @westside80 screw up his 6P on purpose to get the Pixel XL. Timing is everything and apparently neither of us have any luck with timing.

I can't. I've already screwed it up beyond what even Google will accept. It's got a small crack in the upper left corner on the black bezel. That rules me out. Smh