Post your random thoughts here.

Comments

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Windstream is coming back in the morning between 8am-12pm. We'll see what happens. I did finally get my wifi extender hooked up. Still only getting 15Mbps but hopefully they'll figure out what's wrong tomorrow. I got scared earlier. I was using my PXL and I noticed that it had been on 25% for a long time. I thought the battery meter was stuck. I charged it from 25% to 28% and started using it again. I turned on YouTube and started watching videos until it got to 25%. It stayed on 25% from 10:19 pm to 10:27 pm and then finally dropped to 24%. I'm still going to keep an eye on it though.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@kidnova said:

@westside80 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:
    So, I've had a few days now the the HTC U11 and I can say that overall it's a very nice phone. The bezels are much less intrusive then they appear in the pictures, and it's a solid performer. Battery life is good, but not great. There are 2 issues that might end up being deal breakers though:

1) Screen brightness (or lack thereof). Even with the adaptive brightness turned on, which provides a boost to NITS, this phone is almost unusable in bright sun. I'm going to attempt to patch this problem by putting on a matte screen protector to lessen the glare, but it's really, really bad. This is the primary problem that might result in a return.

2) Signal reception seems to be sub-par. The problem is I'm not sure if that's a phone problem or a TMobile problem, but you'd think in the DFW area she's get pretty solid reception. Again, this is something I need to nail down or the phone might be going back.

@kidnova did you have any reception problems on previous phones? I don't have any problem with reception in Phoenix on T-Mobile with the U11.

It wasn't great on her A7, but seems to be worse on the U11. I'm thinking about switching her to ATT prepaid, but it's not as good a deal. I have ATT through work and I've always gotten better reception, but I've had Samsung phones so no way to know if it's the carrier or the hardware.

EDIT: Scratch that, it looks like ATT has upped their prepaid game and they are just a good a deal as TMo now. I might try that.

Try cricket. That's what I have. AT&T prepaid limits data speeds to 3Mbps I think. Read the small print. 3Mbps is horrible.

Awww dang, I didn't see that. Terrible. Isn't Cricket just an ATT MVNO?

Yes. I really like it though. It does limit speed to 8Mbps but I usually get around 9Mbps download speed. I get 22GB of LTE, before it's slowed, for $55 a month.

When you're finally able to get T-Mobile @westside80 just find someone over 55 to sign up with you and you can have 2 lines for $60 total with no data limits.

Really? 2 lines for $60 with no data limits? Does that include Netflix too? I already pay for Netflix because my daughter lives and breathes it but Netflix is raising their prices once again. They just raised them last October and now they're back at it.

edited October 12, 2017 12:08AM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @westside80 is the News on Android app updating for you today? On my devices it still shows the latest stories are a day old.

I'm not sure how that works. Some of the sites are updated to 7hrs hours ago.

They must be having a problem today. I checked Android Centrals website and there's several stories since then.

I don't know then. I don't check it that often. It's usually updated. I can't find the wps button on the router. There's only one button it, it has arrows going around in a circle, is that it? I pushed it to connect the Netgear WiFi extender but it wouldn't connect through wps.

Could be. Without seeing it it's hard to say. But you want WPA/WPA2 PSK anyway. WPS isn't very secure. Isn't there an app for that router. I have a Netgear router and there's an app that let's me change channels and frequencies even though it usually selects the fastest one.

It's not a Netgear router it's a Netgear WiFi extender. The router is Actiontech.

The problem with wifi extenders is that they effectively half your speed for anything connected to the extender. The best way to do it, if you can, is to setup two seperate routers as access points and use the same username and password with both units. Make sure that the channels don't overlap and you'll get full coverage from both access points without limiting your speed.

Isn't it easier with the new mesh routers?

This new router we have that Windstream furnished seems really good as far as range goes. Much better than the last one we had. The Hopper in my room was showing 100% signal for the 2.4GHz band and 75%/80% for the 5GHZ band. The Hopper only had around a 70% signal on our last router so this router must have better range. I know one thing, it's a huge router/modem compared to the last one we had. They had to give us a better router though because the router we had would only handle 12Mbps, so said Windstream. I told him I might buy my own router/modem and he told me that if I did to do my research because he said there aren't many that would work with our setup because of the two lines. I think he called it GBOND? Something like that. The router takes two lines and turns them into one to increase speeds. Since 12Mbps is supposed to run on each line. I'm sure I could find another one if I really looked but as long as they aren't aiming to charge me a monthly rental fee this router will be good enough. They didn't charge us monthly for the last router so maybe they won't for this one. I'm still gonna be calling them and complaining about all that time we were supposed to be getting 12Mbps but was only getting 6Mbps. They are gonna have to cough up some bill credits.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@kidnova said:

@westside80 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:
    So, I've had a few days now the the HTC U11 and I can say that overall it's a very nice phone. The bezels are much less intrusive then they appear in the pictures, and it's a solid performer. Battery life is good, but not great. There are 2 issues that might end up being deal breakers though:

1) Screen brightness (or lack thereof). Even with the adaptive brightness turned on, which provides a boost to NITS, this phone is almost unusable in bright sun. I'm going to attempt to patch this problem by putting on a matte screen protector to lessen the glare, but it's really, really bad. This is the primary problem that might result in a return.

2) Signal reception seems to be sub-par. The problem is I'm not sure if that's a phone problem or a TMobile problem, but you'd think in the DFW area she's get pretty solid reception. Again, this is something I need to nail down or the phone might be going back.

@kidnova did you have any reception problems on previous phones? I don't have any problem with reception in Phoenix on T-Mobile with the U11.

It wasn't great on her A7, but seems to be worse on the U11. I'm thinking about switching her to ATT prepaid, but it's not as good a deal. I have ATT through work and I've always gotten better reception, but I've had Samsung phones so no way to know if it's the carrier or the hardware.

EDIT: Scratch that, it looks like ATT has upped their prepaid game and they are just a good a deal as TMo now. I might try that.

Try cricket. That's what I have. AT&T prepaid limits data speeds to 3Mbps I think. Read the small print. 3Mbps is horrible.

Yes. I really like it though. It does limit speed to 8Mbps but I usually get around 9Mbps download speed. I get 22GB of LTE, before it's slowed, for $55 a month.

When you're finally able to get T-Mobile @westside80 just find someone over 55 to sign up with you and you can have 2 lines for $60 total with no data limits.

Really? 2 lines for $60 with no data limits? Does that include Netflix too? I already pay for Netflix because my daughter lives and breathes it but Netflix is raising their prices once again. They just raised them last October and now they're back at it.

I believe that it does include Netflix. I tried to get into that free Netflix deal and they don't allow business accounts to get it. That T-Mobile plan is absolutely the best deal anywhere. Even the MVNO's can't compete with that. $30 per person and unlimited everything. I'm pretty sure that includes taxes also.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@kidnova said:

@westside80 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

I believe that it does include Netflix. I tried to get into that free Netflix deal and they don't allow business accounts to get it. That T-Mobile plan is absolutely the best deal anywhere. Even the MVNO's can't compete with that. $30 per person and unlimited everything. I'm pretty sure that includes taxes also.

If that's the case then you're right. There is no plan better than that. It almost sounds too good to be true, like what's the catch. Deals like that always make me look for the small print.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@kidnova said:

@westside80 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

If that's the case then you're right. There is no plan better than that. It almost sounds too good to be true, like what's the catch. Deals like that always make me look for the small print.

Believe it or not there's no fine print. Well I'm sure that there's fine print but nothing that affects the plan. T-Mobile just figured out with the demographics being what they are that T-Mobile's growth was in younger age groups and John Legere announced that plan to attract the older demographic. T-Mobile only a few years ago was the fourth largest carrier in the US and when John Legere became in charge he started changing everything. Super aggressive marketing and in just a couple of years T-Mobile has blown by Sprint by 20 million customers. But older people have been on Verizon and AT&T plans and he decided to aggressively go after that segment of the market they were missing. Everybody regardless of which carrier they're with can thank him for bringing down the costs of plans.

@westside80 you must have read all those stories today about the Honor phones that are going to be introduced in December. I can't remember the model name but there was one model that was nearly identical to the Mate 10 Pro at a lot lower price. You said that Honor is a sub brand of Huawei does Huawei own the Honor brand?

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @westside80 you must have read all those stories today about the Honor phones that are going to be introduced in December. I can't remember the model name but there was one model that was nearly identical to the Mate 10 Pro at a lot lower price. You said that Honor is a sub brand of Huawei does Huawei own the Honor brand?

Yes. Huawei owns Honor. They're one in the same. I saw the stories. The model was the Honor 7 I think. It may look similar to the Mate 10 but there's still differences, especially in specs and the camera department. Honor is the brand that sells cheaper priced phones while Huawei sells the higher priced phones. On another note, check out Samsung Internet Beta, go into the settings and look for high contrast mode and enjoy surfing the web with a dark mode. Battery Saving for sure. There's a night mode and dark mode, the dark mode is called high contrast. It turns the lettering yellow and the background black and it's wonderful. I haven't used chrome since the beginning of 2017. Samsung Internet Beta is my default browser on all my phones. It uses less battery than Chrome, especially now that they have the high contrast and night modes.

edited October 12, 2017 1:21AM

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Yes. Huawei owns Honor. They're one in the same. I saw the stories. The model was the Honor 7 I think. It may look similar to the Mate 10 but there's still differences, especially in specs and the camera department. Honor is the brand that sells cheaper priced phones while Huawei sells the higher priced phones. On another note, check out Samsung Internet Beta, go into the settings and look for high contrast mode and enjoy surfing the web with a dark mode. Battery Saving for sure. There's a night mode and dark mode, the dark mode is called high contrast. It turns the lettering yellow and the background black and it's wonderful. I haven't used chrome since the beginning of 2017. Samsung Internet Beta is my default browser on all my phones. It uses less battery than Chrome, especially now that they have the high contrast and night modes.

The model that I read about was the V10. It looked just like the pictures we've seen for the Mate 10 Pro and it also has the Kirin 970 processor and the story said that it was going to be around $600. It didn't give the camera specs. I'm having trouble remembering which site I read it on because thanks to you I'm now reading a lot more sites since you recommended News on Android. By the way I gave them feedback this morning when I asked you about their site not updating. Must have been some glitch because it was okay a few hours later.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

The model that I read about was the V10. It looked just like the pictures we've seen for the Mate 10 Pro and it also has the Kirin 970 processor and the story said that it was going to be around $600. It didn't give the camera specs. I'm having trouble remembering which site I read it on because thanks to you I'm now reading a lot more sites since you recommended News on Android. By the way I gave them feedback this morning when I asked you about their site not updating. Must have been some glitch because it was okay a few hours later.

I didn't see anything about a v10. All I seen was about the Honor 7x. The v series phones never come to the US anyway.

• chuckbortchuckbort USAPosts: 391 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

Actually the over 55 plan does not include Netflix. Neither does the 2 lines for $100 plan that I have.

edited October 12, 2017 11:00AM

@chuckbort said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

Actually the over 55 plan does not include Netflix. Neither does the 2 lines for $100 plan that I have.

Oh well it's still a great plan. $30 per person unlimited everything.

@westside80 I read that Pixel XL phones were having trouble installing the October security patch. Did yours have any problem?

edited October 12, 2017 10:51AM

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @westside80 I read that Pixel XL phones were having trouble installing the October security patch. Did yours have any problem?

No, but it took forever to install.

edited October 12, 2017 10:52AM

My mom said the internet is fixed. They had to use a different phone jack. I'll check to make sure when I get home but she said they told her it was running at 25Mbps.

@westside80 said:
    My mom said the internet is fixed. They had to use a different phone jack. I'll check to make sure when I get home but she said they told her it was running at 25Mbps.

What a mom. You said that she couldn't be there and she came through for you anyway. You've had a lot of positive activity lately. New phone, new cellular plan and much better home internet speeds. What's next @westside80?

@westside80 the story that I read about the Honor V10 was in News on Android (androidpit). Because it's being announced in London speculation is that there might be an international version.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

What a mom. You said that she couldn't be there and she came through for you anyway. You've had a lot of positive activity lately. New phone, new cellular plan and much better home internet speeds. What's next @westside80?

I'm not pushing my luck so I don't know what's next. Lol

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @westside80 the story that I read about the Honor V10 was in News on Android (androidpit). Because it's being announced in London speculation is that there might be an international version.

I didn't see it. All I saw was the Honor 7x. It's supposed to have minimal bezels and a Kirin 695? Not sure about the Kirin number.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I didn't see it. All I saw was the Honor 7x. It's supposed to have minimal bezels and a Kirin 695? Not sure about the Kirin number.

Open News on Android and then Android Pit. Scroll down it was one of the last stories yesterday on that site.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Even that phone looks very good. $200 for the 32 GB version.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

It sure does.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

It sure does.

Does Honor have its own website @westside80?

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

It sure does.

I think so. I can't remember the name but it's something like Honor USA.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

It sure does.

I think so. I can't remember the name but it's something like Honor USA.

Thanks I'll check it out. I did check Amazon and the Honor 7X wasn't there. I would buy that phone just to get used to EMUI before the Mate 10 Pro comes out because I have someone already that would buy the Honor 7X from me.

It's hihonor.com/us

• chuckbortchuckbort USAPosts: 391 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have an Honor 6x and it's a nice phone. The last EMUI update made it a lot easier to use from what I hear, I updated it as soon as I got it. The 7x isn't going to be available in the US right away but should be before too long.

@chuckbort said:
    I have an Honor 6x and it's a nice phone. The last EMUI update made it a lot easier to use from what I hear, I updated it as soon as I got it. The 7x isn't going to be available in the US right away but should be before too long.

Thanks @chuckbort. I was hoping that the 7X would be available so that I could get used to EMUI before the Mate 10 Pro is available because I have someone who would buy the 7X from me. Now it sounds like they'll both be out about the same time. Could you please explain the naming system for Honor phones. It doesn't make any sense to me when like for example the Honor 8 is an older phone than the 7x. I'm used to a higher number being a more advanced phone and that's not the case with the Honor phones.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@chuckbort said:

Thanks @chuckbort. I was hoping that the 7X would be available so that I could get used to EMUI before the Mate 10 Pro is available because I have someone who would buy the 7X from me. Now it sounds like they'll both be out about the same time. Could you please explain the naming system for Honor phones. It doesn't make any sense to me when like for example the Honor 8 is an older phone than the 7x. I'm used to a higher number being a more advanced phone and that's not the case with the Honor phones.

There's no rhyme or reason to it. The naming system is crazy. Why would the 7x come after the Honor 8. First it was the Honor 5x, then the Honor 6, then the Honor 8 and now the Honor 7x. WTF? Unless I'm forgetting a model.

@jimlloyd40 said:
    It's hihonor.com/us

Yep, that's it. I remember now.