Post your random thoughts here.

1646567697077

Comments

  • westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm seeing a lot of complaints and posts about the defective v30 display. People are saying it's uneven. I hope the Pixel 2 XL doesn't have the same display. Now I'm rethinking what phone I will buy in the future. I don't want another phone with a display problem. The s8 was bad enough. I don't know how I feel about the plastic like coating on the back of the Pixel 2 XL. Geez. Can any company put out a phone that isn't plagued with hardware problems? AMOLED displays are to blame. Like Erica Griffin says, when you're dealing with AMOLED panels, it's a lottery.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @chuckbort said:
    I have an Honor 6x and it's a nice phone. The last EMUI update made it a lot easier to use from what I hear, I updated it as soon as I got it. The 7x isn't going to be available in the US right away but should be before too long.

    Thanks @chuckbort. I was hoping that the 7X would be available so that I could get used to EMUI before the Mate 10 Pro is available because I have someone who would buy the 7X from me. Now it sounds like they'll both be out about the same time. Could you please explain the naming system for Honor phones. It doesn't make any sense to me when like for example the Honor 8 is an older phone than the 7x. I'm used to a higher number being a more advanced phone and that's not the case with the Honor phones.

    There's no rhyme or reason to it. The naming system is crazy. Why would the 7x come after the Honor 8. First it was the Honor 5x, then the Honor 6, then the Honor 8 and now the Honor 7x. WTF? Unless I'm forgetting a model.

    For a Huawei /Honor newcomer like me it makes it impossible to figure out the naming scheme without spending a lot of time reading the specs for every model.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:
    It's hihonor.com/us

    Yep, that's it. I remember now.

    I'm like you. As soon as I read the answer I remember it. :D

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:
    I'm seeing a lot of complaints and posts about the defective v30 display. People are saying it's uneven. I hope the Pixel 2 XL doesn't have the same display. Now I'm rethinking what phone I will buy in the future. I don't want another phone with a display problem. The s8 was bad enough. I don't know how I feel about the plastic like coating on the back of the Pixel 2 XL. Geez. Can any company put out a phone that isn't plagued with hardware problems? AMOLED displays are to blame. Like Erica Griffin says, when you're dealing with AMOLED panels, it's a lottery.

    And I don't have any luck with lotteries.

  • westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @westside80 said:
    I'm seeing a lot of complaints and posts about the defective v30 display. People are saying it's uneven. I hope the Pixel 2 XL doesn't have the same display. Now I'm rethinking what phone I will buy in the future. I don't want another phone with a display problem. The s8 was bad enough. I don't know how I feel about the plastic like coating on the back of the Pixel 2 XL. Geez. Can any company put out a phone that isn't plagued with hardware problems? AMOLED displays are to blame. Like Erica Griffin says, when you're dealing with AMOLED panels, it's a lottery.

    And I don't have any luck with lotteries.

    Me either.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 I emailed you the story about the Honor V10.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    There's a new rumor today that says that the Mate 10 Pro will come with a Moleskin stylus suggesting that it will have note taking abilities like the Galaxy Note.

  • chuckbortchuckbort USAPosts: 391 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    it as soon as I got it. The 7x isn't going to be available in the US right away but should be before too long.

    Thanks @chuckbort. I was hoping that the 7X would be available so that I could get used to EMUI before the Mate 10 Pro is available because I have someone who would buy the 7X from me. Now it sounds like they'll both be out about the same time. Could you please explain the naming system for Honor phones. It doesn't make any sense to me when like for example the Honor 8 is an older phone than the 7x. I'm used to a higher number being a more advanced phone and that's not the case with the Honor phones.

    There's no rhyme or reason to it. The naming system is crazy. Why would the 7x come after the Honor 8. First it was the Honor 5x, then the Honor 6, then the Honor 8 and now the Honor 7x. WTF? Unless I'm forgetting a model.

    Yeah, the only thing I can think is that there are different lines based on how good they are. The lower ends that have the "X" after them (5x, 6x and now 7x). Then there is the Honor 8 with no letter which is their higher end so maybe they will come out with an Honor 9 next? :s

  • westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2017 7:15PM

    My internet is fixed, finally. Speed test shows 25.7Mbps down and 1.6Mbps up. That's not super speed but it's a lot better than the 6Mbps I started out with. Then I went to 12Mbps. My upload speed went from 0.64Mbps to 1.6Mbps. Garbage upload speeds but I must say that 25Mbps down is a nice change.

  • westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jimlloyd40 said:
    @westside80 I emailed you the story about the Honor V10.

    Okay. I'll check it out.

  • westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I had a thin case for my Pixel XL that was out for delivery but the mailman must have forgot to bring it because it didn't get delivered and the tracking says that they attempted delivery and left a notice but there's no notice anywhere. I hate when they do that. Why can't they just say "Hey, we lost your package or forgot your package. Sorry."

  • saeedtedsaeedted TexasPosts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @chuckbort said:
    I have an Honor 6x and it's a nice phone. The last EMUI update made it a lot easier to use from what I hear, I updated it as soon as I got it. The 7x isn't going to be available in the US right away but should be before too long.

    Thanks @chuckbort. I was hoping that the 7X would be available so that I could get used to EMUI before the Mate 10 Pro is available because I have someone who would buy the 7X from me. Now it sounds like they'll both be out about the same time. Could you please explain the naming system for Honor phones. It doesn't make any sense to me when like for example the Honor 8 is an older phone than the 7x. I'm used to a higher number being a more advanced phone and that's not the case with the Honor phones.

    There's no rhyme or reason to it. The naming system is crazy. Why would the 7x come after the Honor 8. First it was the Honor 5x, then the Honor 6, then the Honor 8 and now the Honor 7x. WTF? Unless I'm forgetting a model.

    I've always felt that the Honor 5X was Huawei throwing shade at the Nexus 5X, for not getting both contracts lol.

  • westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    MKBHD has an excellent video about DXO on his channel. I suggest everyone check it out if you haven't already.

  • westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @saeedted said:

    @westside80 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @chuckbort said:
    I have an Honor 6x and it's a nice phone. The last EMUI update made it a lot easier to use from what I hear, I updated it as soon as I got it. The 7x isn't going to be available in the US right away but should be before too long.

    Thanks @chuckbort. I was hoping that the 7X would be available so that I could get used to EMUI before the Mate 10 Pro is available because I have someone who would buy the 7X from me. Now it sounds like they'll both be out about the same time. Could you please explain the naming system for Honor phones. It doesn't make any sense to me when like for example the Honor 8 is an older phone than the 7x. I'm used to a higher number being a more advanced phone and that's not the case with the Honor phones.

    There's no rhyme or reason to it. The naming system is crazy. Why would the 7x come after the Honor 8. First it was the Honor 5x, then the Honor 6, then the Honor 8 and now the Honor 7x. WTF? Unless I'm forgetting a model.

    I've always felt that the Honor 5X was Huawei throwing shade at the Nexus 5X, for not getting both contracts lol.

    I had the Honor 5x and Honor ruined that phone with updates and then just forgot about it.

  • saeedtedsaeedted TexasPosts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:
    MKBHD has an excellent video about DXO on his channel. I suggest everyone check it out if you haven't already.

    Watched it this afternoon, I prefer his videos explaining or testing out things than I do his reviews.

  • westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 12, 2017 11:15PM

    I'm gonna go ahead and call it, the Pixel XL is the smoothest phone I've ever used. There's no lag or stutter to be seen. Things just glide across, up and down the screen.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @chuckbort said:

    @westside80 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    it as soon as I got it. The 7x isn't going to be available in the US right away but should be before too long.

    Thanks @chuckbort. I was hoping that the 7X would be available so that I could get used to EMUI before the Mate 10 Pro is available because I have someone who would buy the 7X from me. Now it sounds like they'll both be out about the same time. Could you please explain the naming system for Honor phones. It doesn't make any sense to me when like for example the Honor 8 is an older phone than the 7x. I'm used to a higher number being a more advanced phone and that's not the case with the Honor phones.

    There's no rhyme or reason to it. The naming system is crazy. Why would the 7x come after the Honor 8. First it was the Honor 5x, then the Honor 6, then the Honor 8 and now the Honor 7x. WTF? Unless I'm forgetting a model.

    Yeah, the only thing I can think is that there are different lines based on how good they are. The lower ends that have the "X" after them (5x, 6x and now 7x). Then there is the Honor 8 with no letter which is their higher end so maybe they will come out with an Honor 9 next? :s

    Thank you @chuckbort. At least I'm not totally confused by their naming scheme anymore.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:
    My internet is fixed, finally. Speed test shows 25.7Mbps down and 1.6Mbps up. That's not super speed but it's a lot better than the 6Mbps I started out with. Then I went to 12Mbps. My upload speed went from 0.64Mbps to 1.6Mbps. Garbage upload speeds but I must say that 25Mbps down is a nice change.

    That download speed is pretty good. That's fast enough to stream 4K if you have any 4K devices. The upload speed isn't that important anyway. You certainly have made a lot of progress in the last month or so @westside80.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:
    I had a thin case for my Pixel XL that was out for delivery but the mailman must have forgot to bring it because it didn't get delivered and the tracking says that they attempted delivery and left a notice but there's no notice anywhere. I hate when they do that. Why can't they just say "Hey, we lost your package or forgot your package. Sorry."

    The mailman attempted to deliver it? Why the (moderated) wouldn't he or she just put it in your mailbox? It's not like you needed to sign for it.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @saeedted said:

    @westside80 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @chuckbort said:
    I have an Honor 6x and it's a nice phone. The last EMUI update made it a lot easier to use from what I hear, I updated it as soon as I got it. The 7x isn't going to be available in the US right away but should be before too long.

    Thanks @chuckbort. I was hoping that the 7X would be available so that I could get used to EMUI before the Mate 10 Pro is available because I have someone who would buy the 7X from me. Now it sounds like they'll both be out about the same time. Could you please explain the naming system for Honor phones. It doesn't make any sense to me when like for example the Honor 8 is an older phone than the 7x. I'm used to a higher number being a more advanced phone and that's not the case with the Honor phones.

    There's no rhyme or reason to it. The naming system is crazy. Why would the 7x come after the Honor 8. First it was the Honor 5x, then the Honor 6, then the Honor 8 and now the Honor 7x. WTF? Unless I'm forgetting a model.

    I've always felt that the Honor 5X was Huawei throwing shade at the Nexus 5X, for not getting both contracts lol.

    I don't understand @saeedted.

  • westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @westside80 said:
    My internet is fixed, finally. Speed test shows 25.7Mbps down and 1.6Mbps up. That's not super speed but it's a lot better than the 6Mbps I started out with. Then I went to 12Mbps. My upload speed went from 0.64Mbps to 1.6Mbps. Garbage upload speeds but I must say that 25Mbps down is a nice change.

    That download speed is pretty good. That's fast enough to stream 4K if you have any 4K devices. The upload speed isn't that important anyway. You certainly have made a lot of progress in the last month or so @westside80.

    Sure have and I got 6hr 24min SOT on my Pixel XL today. Brightness set to 30%, 1hr 16min of voice calls and1hr 2min streaming GPM through Bluetooth. 15hr 50min off the charger. Not bad. My battery worries are put to rest for the time being. I was also worried about BT issues but it connects to my BT devices just fine. I was worried about GPS problems too but GPS seems to be spot on. I think I deserve the good luck I've had recently. I thought surely to God my luck would turn around sooner than later. Lol. I am loving the faster download speeds but I can't help but wonder how much more I would love 50Mbps. Lol. Too bad I'm not eligible for it.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:
    I'm gonna go ahead and call it, the Pixel XL is the smoothest phone I've ever used. There's no lag or stutter to be seen. Things just glide across, up and down the screen.

    @westside80 I do believe I hear the gears in your head turning and thinking if this is this good the P2XL must be fantastic with the dual speakers and smaller bezels. :D

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 I have a complaint. Thanks to you I have less free time now. Ever since you told me about the app "News on Android" I'm spending more time reading Android news. JK. Thank you that's a great app.

  • westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @westside80 said:
    I'm gonna go ahead and call it, the Pixel XL is the smoothest phone I've ever used. There's no lag or stutter to be seen. Things just glide across, up and down the screen.

    @westside80 I do believe I hear the gears in your head turning and thinking if this is this good the P2XL must be fantastic with the dual speakers and smaller bezels. :D

    You would be wrong this time. I'm satisfied with what I have at the moment.

  • westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jimlloyd40 said:
    @westside80 I have a complaint. Thanks to you I have less free time now. Ever since you told me about the app "News on Android" I'm spending more time reading Android news. JK. Thank you that's a great app.

    Sorry. Lol

  • westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @westside80 said:
    I had a thin case for my Pixel XL that was out for delivery but the mailman must have forgot to bring it because it didn't get delivered and the tracking says that they attempted delivery and left a notice but there's no notice anywhere. I hate when they do that. Why can't they just say "Hey, we lost your package or forgot your package. Sorry."

    The mailman attempted to deliver it? Why the (moderated) wouldn't he or she just put it in your mailbox? It's not like you needed to sign for it.

    Because the mailman forgot it, I'm sure, and just said they left a notice when they really didn't. I've had that happen several times and there's never a notice left.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,445 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @westside80 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @westside80 said:
    I'm gonna go ahead and call it, the Pixel XL is the smoothest phone I've ever used. There's no lag or stutter to be seen. Things just glide across, up and down the screen.

    @westside80 I do believe I hear the gears in your head turning and thinking if this is this good the P2XL must be fantastic with the dual speakers and smaller bezels. :D

    You would be wrong this time. I'm satisfied with what I have at the moment.

    It wouldn't be the first or fiftieth time that I was wrong. I lost count. We've got the disease. Certain phones are just so satisfying that we think we're all set for a while and then we get bored. I guess that I shouldn't speak for you but that's my problem. I've been trying to convince myself that the Mate 10 Pro is going to be so good that it will cure this problem. I hope. :D

  • westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @westside80 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @westside80 said:
    I'm gonna go ahead and call it, the Pixel XL is the smoothest phone I've ever used. There's no lag or stutter to be seen. Things just glide across, up and down the screen.

    @westside80 I do believe I hear the gears in your head turning and thinking if this is this good the P2XL must be fantastic with the dual speakers and smaller bezels. :D

    You would be wrong this time. I'm satisfied with what I have at the moment.

    It wouldn't be the first or fiftieth time that I was wrong. I lost count. We've got the disease. Certain phones are just so satisfying that we think we're all set for a while and then we get bored. I guess that I shouldn't speak for you but that's my problem. I've been trying to convince myself that the Mate 10 Pro is going to be so good that it will cure this problem. I hope. :D

    I'm not saying I won't get bored with it because I know I will. I'm just saying that I see this phone being my new 6p. A phone I just don't want to get rid of. I could've sold my 6p several times already but I just don't want to let it go. I may sell it when it reaches EOL for software, which is probably already happened, but I just love the phone. I think I'm gonna feel the same way about the Pixel XL. It's not the prettiest phone but it is a pleasure to use. Plus, I don't want to get rid of it knowing it'll get Android P pretty soon. Now, that's not saying I won't make another phone purchase but if I do I won't make that purchase by selling my Pixel XL. I'll make the purchase when I have the money.

  • saeedtedsaeedted TexasPosts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @saeedted said:

    @westside80 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @chuckbort said:
    I have an Honor 6x and it's a nice phone. The last EMUI update made it a lot easier to use from what I hear, I updated it as soon as I got it. The 7x isn't going to be available in the US right away but should be before too long.

    Thanks @chuckbort. I was hoping that the 7X would be available so that I could get used to EMUI before the Mate 10 Pro is available because I have someone who would buy the 7X from me. Now it sounds like they'll both be out about the same time. Could you please explain the naming system for Honor phones. It doesn't make any sense to me when like for example the Honor 8 is an older phone than the 7x. I'm used to a higher number being a more advanced phone and that's not the case with the Honor phones.

    There's no rhyme or reason to it. The naming system is crazy. Why would the 7x come after the Honor 8. First it was the Honor 5x, then the Honor 6, then the Honor 8 and now the Honor 7x. WTF? Unless I'm forgetting a model.

    I've always felt that the Honor 5X was Huawei throwing shade at the Nexus 5X, for not getting both contracts lol.

    I don't understand @saeedted.

    Huawei made the Nexus 6P and LG made the Nexus 5X, that same year Honor 5X came out. I don't think it was a coincidence that Huawei added an X to the end of that 5.

  • westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 4,922 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @saeedted said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @saeedted said:

    @westside80 said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @chuckbort said:
    I have an Honor 6x and it's a nice phone. The last EMUI update made it a lot easier to use from what I hear, I updated it as soon as I got it. The 7x isn't going to be available in the US right away but should be before too long.

    Thanks @chuckbort. I was hoping that the 7X would be available so that I could get used to EMUI before the Mate 10 Pro is available because I have someone who would buy the 7X from me. Now it sounds like they'll both be out about the same time. Could you please explain the naming system for Honor phones. It doesn't make any sense to me when like for example the Honor 8 is an older phone than the 7x. I'm used to a higher number being a more advanced phone and that's not the case with the Honor phones.

    There's no rhyme or reason to it. The naming system is crazy. Why would the 7x come after the Honor 8. First it was the Honor 5x, then the Honor 6, then the Honor 8 and now the Honor 7x. WTF? Unless I'm forgetting a model.

    I've always felt that the Honor 5X was Huawei throwing shade at the Nexus 5X, for not getting both contracts lol.

    I don't understand @saeedted.

    Huawei made the Nexus 6P and LG made the Nexus 5X, that same year Honor 5X came out. I don't think it was a coincidence that Huawei added an X to the end of that 5.

    I don't either.

Sign In or Register to comment.