How do you get themes?

How you you get themes for a ZTE Grand X4? I cant find an answer for my question. Please help!

Best Answer

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Accepted Answer

@Nspencer said:
    How you you get themes for a ZTE Grand X4? I cant find an answer for my question. Please help!

If there's no option for themes in the settings the easiest way to get themes is install a launcher. Nova is the most popular launcher. I use the ZenUI launcher and it has numerous themes available.

Answers

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD USA Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 27, 2017 6:45PM

It's hard to say exactly what you mean my "themes". Some phones include a few themes, and on some ZTE devices they can be accessed by holding your finger down on any empty space of your home screen until you see settings/features that allow you to change settings, and themes could be included there.
    There are also different launchers and themes you can add to most phones that can be downloaded from the Google Play Store. If you are interested, just try searching Google for popular Themes and Launchers and you will likely get plenty of info and choices that way.

• NspencerNspencer Posts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

I just dont understand why they have themes on the phone already but dont give an option to get more through the display setting option.

@Nspencer said:
    I just dont understand why they have themes on the phone already but dont give an option to get more through the display setting option.

Because a theme is far more than just the display. A theme is an option within a launcher.

@Nspencer said:

They could put more themes in the phone, or any phone for that matter, but that takes more time and engineering and software development, and uses up storage on the phone, and since there are so many free and easy to use launchers and themes available from 3rd party developers, it just makes more sense for a user to go that route instead of paying even more for a device full of themes and wallpapers when they don't need to.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@DoppelgangerD said:

@Nspencer said:

They could put more themes in the phone, or any phone for that matter, but that takes more time and engineering and software development, and uses up storage on the phone, and since there are so many free and easy to use launchers and themes available from 3rd party developers, it just makes more sense for a user to go that route instead of paying even more for a device full of themes and wallpapers when they don't need to.

To really customize my devices, such as wallpaper, ringtones, notification tones, dark theme, etc. I use an app called Zedge that @musicdjm got me hooked on. It took me a bit to get used to, and I wish there was a version without ads, but it gives me some great customization options for the wallpapers and sounds. I pair it with Nova Launcher to use their night mode feature to keep my screen dark as much as possible, and create grid sequences for app icons.

@hollap said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@Nspencer said:

To really customize my devices, such as wallpaper, ringtones, notification tones, dark theme, etc. I use an app called Zedge that @musicdjm got me hooked on. It took me a bit to get used to, and I wish there was a version without ads, but it gives me some great customization options for the wallpapers and sounds. I pair it with Nova Launcher to use their night mode feature to keep my screen dark as much as possible, and create grid sequences for app icons.

Funny, I also use Nova launcher and Zedge for wallpapers.
    I'm not really a theme person, though I do try some from time to time.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@DoppelgangerD said:

@hollap said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@Nspencer said:

Funny, I also use Nova launcher and Zedge for wallpapers.
    I'm not really a theme person, though I do try some from time to time.

I don't really try to build a theme so much as just get settings the way I like them. I guess you could call it a theme once your phone is set the way you want.

@DoppelgangerD said:

@Nspencer said:

I understand what you're saying but based on that logic I would ask why bother with MiFavor on the A7 then? Either use a custom UI that has many options including themes like the other OEMs do or give us stock Android and I'll do all my own customizations including themes.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@Nspencer said:

I understand what you're saying but based on that logic I would ask why bother with MiFavor on the A7 then? Either use a custom UI that has many options including themes like the other OEMs do or give us stock Android and I'll do all my own customizations including themes.

MiFavor is their original skin they developed for the Chinese market and ported it over to the US market.
    In the case of my ZTE Axon 7, then do offer the MiFavor theme along with a "Stock" theme.
    I prefer the "Stock" theme personally, but I also like having the option of either one.
    Being able to add 3rd party launchers and themes from that point is a good thing.

As far as what you refer to as "stock Android", or what some people refer to as AOSP really doesn't exist,
    and if any OEM really did a bone stock version of Android, it would be horrible.
    Even what Google uses on Nexus and Pixel lines is not stock or AOSP, it is still a skin/theme type UI,
    but just appears to be simplified with choices that people seem to prefer over other OEM skins.
    So, why doesn't ZTE or other OEMs mimic it since many seem to prefer it?... because then they wouldn't be the brand they are, and they would just be making a Nexus copycat device.
    Every brand must do something to differentiate themselves from their competition.
    The challenge lies in creating something they are proud of while users are proud to use it.
    I think ZTE is closing in on creating a pretty good set of features in their phones that more people prefer.

One thing that has held true with the Android platform is that it is highly customizable, and as long as the OEM offers choices on their settings, and allows 3rd party apps to change the device enough that users enjoy their choices, then I feel they are successful in creating a great smartphone.

@DoppelgangerD said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@Nspencer said:

MiFavor is their original skin they developed for the Chinese market and ported it over to the US market.
    In the case of my ZTE Axon 7, then do offer the MiFavor theme along with a "Stock" theme.
    I prefer the "Stock" theme personally, but I also like having the option of either one.
    Being able to add 3rd party launchers and themes from that point is a good thing.

As far as what you refer to as "stock Android", or what some people refer to as AOSP really doesn't exist,
    and if any OEM really did a bone stock version of Android, it would be horrible.
    Even what Google uses on Nexus and Pixel lines is not stock or AOSP, it is still a skin/theme type UI,
    but just appears to be simplified with choices that people seem to prefer over other OEM skins.
    So, why doesn't ZTE or other OEMs mimic it since many seem to prefer it?... because then they wouldn't be the brand they are, and they would just be making a Nexus copycat device.
    Every brand must do something to differentiate themselves from their competition.
    The challenge lies in creating something they are proud of while users are proud to use it.
    I think ZTE is closing in on creating a pretty good set of features in their phones that more people prefer.

One thing that has held true with the Android platform is that it is highly customizable, and as long as the OEM offers choices on their settings, and allows 3rd party apps to change the device enough that users enjoy their choices, then I feel they are successful in creating a great smartphone.

Most everyone knows when someone says stock Android they are talking about the Nexus UI.
    Last years Axon model was near stock and MiFavor only started with the Axon 7 in the US.
    It was because of MiFavor that reviewers generally gave poor reviews. That and the camera. There's no denying that at least the first 6 months of the A7 were rather miserable in terms of general usability. I had key apps that I use on every phone that wouldn't work on the A7 and is the reason that I purchased the Alcatel Idol 4S which is near stock.
    Why isn't ZTE using MiFavor on every phone that they sell in the US if they are trying to create a brand. Having some phones with MiFavor and some near stock like the Zmax Pro confuses brand awareness.
    Yes the A7 is now generally very good and the remaining problems are hardware related such as poor reception.