So... any news about the Axon 8?

poohbiwonpoohbiwon USAPosts: 713 ✭✭✭✭✭

ZTE sure is taking its time announcing the latest iteration of their flagship. I love my Axon 7 and am very excited for any news regarding the Axon 8, but my eyes are starting to wander to other devices. I don't want to be unfaithful, but I haven't gotten any love lately from ZTE in terms of news about the A8. Has anyone heard anything?

Comments

• jasonscarterjasonscarter Tallahassee FLPosts: 762 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nothing has been announced by ZTE, and I haven't even seen any of the "leak" websites say anything. We are still waiting. Hopefully it will be worth the wait! Love my A7 as well.

• jasonejasone Tennessee Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No news yet and I know it's hard not to wander when all these shiny new devices keep coming out. Hopefully something will come out around the same time as the V30 and new Pixel phones.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,147 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you Google Axon 8 rumors there's all kinds of stories about it to be taken with a grain of salt. There is a growing consensus in the Community that ZTE is going to skip this year. I still think that there will be an Axon 8 this year. "Pure speculation" on my part but I think that ZTE saw what Samsung did with the S8 and they went back to the drawing board.

• beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭✭

ZTE should have already made some kind of announcement. If they are not bringing out the A8 this year, that would allow people to buy a new phone now and be more likely catch an upgrade when the next model comes out; if it is going to be released this year then people who need a new phone could wait a bit longer. Myself, I've pretty much taken an Axon 8 out of consideration and am putting my hope on least one of the following, Nokia 8/9, Note 8, or Pixel XL 2, having stereo speakers and otherwise being what I want.

• thedp1979thedp1979 DCPosts: 35 ✭✭✭

I've stopped looking to ZTE to release another flagship phone this year. The Axon 7 is easily one of my favorite devices, and I was really hoping ZTE would match that feeling this year

Probably going with the HTC U11. Good phone and price, but it won't be my gold Axon 7

If they skip a year, they are going to lose a lot of momentum they had built within the USA over the last year. That will be a major disappointed from us ZTE fans and a mistake to attract new customers. I will look forward to an A8 for sure.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am among the hopeful that ZTE will come out with a replacement for the Axon 7. I hope they keep the dual fromt speakers.

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 348 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jasonscarter said:
    If they skip a year, they are going to lose a lot of momentum they had built within the USA over the last year. That will be a major disappointed from us ZTE fans and a mistake to attract new customers. I will look forward to an A8 for sure.

I question how much momentum they've built. ZTE has built a solid business proving low and mid-range phones and the A7 was their first attempt at a "flagship". It's entirely possible they've determined this is not a market they want to play in going forward.

They have invested a lot of $$$ into NBA sponsorships, PGA golf, etc....They had one of the biggest booths at CES and really got a lot of fanfare for what they did with the A7. One of the reasons I am here in the community. They have built momentum. I doubt it would be worth to do all this marketing and push with the community to just do mid-range phones.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am also anxiously awaiting the arrival or even rumors of an A8. I am still in the camp where I believe OEMs should wait 18 months for cycling new hardware. There just isn't enough fanfare for me to jump from an S7 to and S8 or OP3 to OP5. The changes were very minimal. Same goes for Android OS software. The jump from MM to Nougat didn't bring any real relevance in terms of improvements. I think 18 months would be a better cycle timeframe.

I would have been disappointed had ZTE came out with the A8 and all it had were upgrades to CPU and Memory. Or even worse, regressed like the Alcatel Idol 5S. So I'm fine with waiting, in hopes that ZTE brings something special to the table. But, those are only my wishes. What they are really planning is just rumor at this point.

And for every sale they lose from people looking for a phone at this time they will gain from people looking for a new phone when it does release. Samsung and Apple have brainwashed us into thinking we NEED a new phone every year. That couldn't be farther from the truth.

edited August 1, 2017 7:53AM

@jasonscarter said:
    They have invested a lot of $$$ into NBA sponsorships, PGA golf, etc....They had one of the biggest booths at CES and really got a lot of fanfare for what they did with the A7. One of the reasons I am here in the community. They have built momentum. I doubt it would be worth to do all this marketing and push with the community to just do mid-range phones.

We'll see I guess, but I bet the brand awareness is much lower than people on this board think. For people who frequent tech sites, sure, but among the general populace I think ZTE is still largely unknown.

To be clear, I'm talking about in the US, where flagships make up the majority of phone sales. I think ZTE has a much greater brand presence in Asia.

@kidnova said:

@jasonscarter said:

We'll see I guess, but I bet the brand awareness is much lower than people on this board think. For people who frequent tech sites, sure, but among the general populace I think ZTE is still largely unknown.

To be clear, I'm talking about in the US, where flagships make up the majority of phone sales. I think ZTE has a much greater brand presence in Asia.

Carriers make sure that the majority of phones sold in the US are flagships. Carriers own the mobile market in the US.

@hollap said:

Carriers make sure that the majority of phones sold in the US are flagships. Carriers own the mobile market in the US.

Agreed, my point is really that ZTE has waded into entirely new waters with the A7. Flagship phones require a much greater commitment to service and on-going support than the devices ZTE typically manufactures. I certainly hope they continue to produce phones that compete with the big boys on features at a low(ish) price, but until we hear something about the A8 I'm skeptical. It's not that they haven't officially announced it, it's the fact that we haven't even seen anything at all about it.

@kidnova said:

@hollap said:

Agreed, my point is really that ZTE has waded into entirely new waters with the A7. Flagship phones require a much greater commitment to service and on-going support than the devices ZTE typically manufactures. I certainly hope they continue to produce phones that compete with the big boys on features at a low(ish) price, but until we hear something about the A8 I'm skeptical. It's not that they haven't officially announced it, it's the fact that we haven't even seen anything at all about it.

I'd like to see an upgrade to the A7. So ZTE shows they are committed to the software end of things as well.

• notamoosennotamoosen Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like there's very few devices that can still compete with the A7 as far as price/performance, even a year in. My biggest concern is the apparent lack of stock on the A7. Most concerning is it being listed as "out of stock" zteusa.com . I hope to see either an announcement of a successor, or committing to continue to produce the A7 with a strong push to adopt Android O early.

@notamoosen said:
    I feel like there's very few devices that can still compete with the A7 as far as price/performance, even a year in. My biggest concern is the apparent lack of stock on the A7. Most concerning is it being listed as "out of stock" zteusa.com . I hope to see either an announcement of a successor, or committing to continue to produce the A7 with a strong push to adopt Android O early.

Amazon for just one source still has the Axon 7 in stock. I would imagine that Newegg and B&H Photo might as well.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2017 9:59AM

@notamoosen said:

I have to say I have wondered why it appears ZTE USA has had such a problem keeping the A7 in stock. It seems like they are constantly struggling to have stock on hand. Maybe the demand is/has been very strong during the whole production cycle of the A7.

@kidnova said:

@jasonscarter said:

ZTE does extremely well in the US with the budget phones particularly with the MVNO 's.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@notamoosen said:

Amazon for just one source still has the Axon 7 in stock. I would imagine that Newegg and B&H Photo might as well.

B&H lists the A7 as discontinued. They are still available through Newegg.

@dnewman007 said:
    I am among the hopeful that ZTE will come out with a replacement for the Axon 7. I hope they keep the dual fromt speakers.

@dnewman007 if the renders and rumors are true that the Pixel 2 is going to have the 18:9 aspect ratio and dual speakers we'll finally know just how much space is really needed for front facing speakers. Then if ZTE goes to that aspect ratio they won't have an excuse to not have front facing speakers.

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@notamoosen said:

B&H lists the A7 as discontinued. They are still available through Newegg.

That's why I said "might".

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 320 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jasonscarter said:

I'm not too sure about the improvement of brand recognition for ZTE. Everyone I come across who asks me what phone I have when I am using my A7 has no idea who ZTE is. I get the usual response "ZT Who?" Just my opinion but I don't think there will be an A8. I think ZTE is staying with lower priced phones.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 320 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2017 2:19PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@notamoosen said:

Someone mentioned the other day that B&H stopped selling the A7. I just went to their website and they do have the mini but no A7. Never mind. I just read the comment where someone else said the same thing. I tried to delete this comment but I can't find a way to do that. Just edit.

• ryampolskyryampolsky Posts: 161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap said:

@kidnova said:

@jasonscarter said:

Then again, ZTE made the effort to get T-Mobile WiFi calling to work, and T-Mobile carries a bunch of other ZTE phones, so I don't see why they wouldn't carry a flagship from ZTE - unless they want an exclusive.

@ram1220 said:

@jasonscarter said:

I'm not too sure about the improvement of brand recognition for ZTE. Everyone I come across who asks me what phone I have when I am using my A7 has no idea who ZTE is. I get the usual response "ZT Who?" Just my opinion but I don't think there will be an A8. I think ZTE is staying with lower priced phones.

That's what Alcatel did.

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@notamoosen said:

Someone mentioned the other day that B&H stopped selling the A7. I just went to their website and they do have the mini but no A7. Never mind. I just read the comment where someone else said the same thing. I tried to delete this comment but I can't find a way to do that. Just edit.

The way that I've found to delete a post is to not click on the choices below your post and just go anywhere else in the forum and then your post will show up as a draft. Click on drafts and an X will pop up in the upper right corner. Click on the X and it's deleted. The X only shows up briefly so you have to cancel it quickly.

@ryampolsky said:

@hollap said:

@kidnova said:

@jasonscarter said:

Then again, ZTE made the effort to get T-Mobile WiFi calling to work, and T-Mobile carries a bunch of other ZTE phones, so I don't see why they wouldn't carry a flagship from ZTE - unless they want an exclusive.

None of the carriers sold the Axon 7 so it's highly doubtful that they would sell the Axon 8 if there is an Axon 8.

• chrsnchrsn New YorkPosts: 217 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe a slight price increase along with a partnership with one of the carriers in the US will get them better recognition in the eyes of the mainstream consumer along with a redesign and a quirk.

They also need something to try to differentiate themselves. HTC has the squeeze, Samsung has the infinity display, LG has a second screen and a DAC, Sony has 4K, OnePlus has price. Everyone has a little something and out of all of them only Samsung is eking out a profit, and that's only mainly because of their semi-conductor business mainly, they've been discounting S8s for months to try to get numbers up. Sony is up a small profit from, LG has been in the red since before time, same for HTC which finally is seeing a resurgence and OnePlus is having a clown fiesta with all the backpedaling of promises and hardware issues.

ZTE is smart about taking it slow this time, looking back on how to make a compelling phone, and delivering. Other places are more savvy about phone prices such as in India, have bigger markets compared to the US like I China, and in general India and China would be easier to target using price. US is to marketing based, and while they've done a good job promoting at events such as basketball games, they would probably be better served doing things like local popup stores in metro cities and carrier store promos for the next phone, which might not even be named the Axon at this point.

@chrsn said:
    Maybe a slight price increase along with a partnership with one of the carriers in the US will get them better recognition in the eyes of the mainstream consumer along with a redesign and a quirk.

They also need something to try to differentiate themselves. HTC has the squeeze, Samsung has the infinity display, LG has a second screen and a DAC, Sony has 4K, OnePlus has price. Everyone has a little something and out of all of them only Samsung is eking out a profit, and that's only mainly because of their semi-conductor business mainly, they've been discounting S8s for months to try to get numbers up. Sony is up a small profit from, LG has been in the red since before time, same for HTC which finally is seeing a resurgence and OnePlus is having a clown fiesta with all the backpedaling of promises and hardware issues.

ZTE is smart about taking it slow this time, looking back on how to make a compelling phone, and delivering. Other places are more savvy about phone prices such as in India, have bigger markets compared to the US like I China, and in general India and China would be easier to target using price. US is to marketing based, and while they've done a good job promoting at events such as basketball games, they would probably be better served doing things like local popup stores in metro cities and carrier store promos for the next phone, which might not even be named the Axon at this point.

It wouldn't make a lot of sense to abandon the Axon name.

• deannycdeannyc Posts: 9 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm using the axon 7 Wi-Fi calling in Greece right now. Very unreliable.. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.. Dual sim works great. Very surprised with how's good daytime shots are. Nighttime shots with tripod gets thumbs up too