So... any news about the Axon 8?

24567

Comments

  • deannycdeannyc Posts: 9 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • deannycdeannyc Posts: 9 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • quantomikquantomik Posts: 19 ✭✭✭✭

    @deannyc said:
    I'm using the axon 7 Wi-Fi calling in Greece right now. Very unreliable.. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.. Dual sim works great. Very surprised with how's good daytime shots are. Nighttime shots with tripod gets thumbs up too

    I've been using wifi calling for a few weeks in the US (Florida specifically) since my T-Mobile coverage is bad over here. For me the WiFi calling works pretty consistently. The issues I've had with it are mostly due to the WiFi connection itself

  • beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @deannyc said:

    Is that photo on auto setting? With a tripod?

  • chazzmattchazzmatt Posts: 50 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2017 4:22PM

    I have some possible news. Someone from Germany on XDA who participated in focus group for successor to ZTE Axon 7.

    Here's verbatim posts of the conversation:

    ZTE AXON 9

    puremind:
    I agree on the extra RAM, however there is a big trade off to build in a good stereo speaker set up.

    ZTE have confirmed to me that their next smartphone will retain stereo speakers will going with the bezelless design, so that's the brand you should be looking towards if you want stereo speakers. That's also why their next flagship is delayed, they want to do it right. Stereo front facing speakers is their USP but of course it is not as easy to realize with an 18:9 display without the smartphone being big

    puremind:
    ZTE are waiting for more OLED displays in18:9 to become available. Will likely be announced in October.

    It is likely to be called Axon 9, though, better number of a Chinese company from what they told us.

    Axon 9 should have glass design, wireless charging, larger battery around 3800mAh - 4000mAh
    (hence the need for a lighter material) and maintain the stereo speakers, the design is not yet known but front firing side speakers is indeed an option they are considering

    ChazzMatt:
    Oh my goodness. How did you find all this information? I ALMOST bought the Axon 7, but it didn't have Qi wireless charging. Seriously, that is the only reason.

    I like LG a lot, and the V30 will be my next phone, but you're suddenly making me do some more thinking...

    Thank you for all the time and information. I'll be waiting for the carrier unlocked version of the V30 anyways, so I'm not in a hurry. I bought my last daily driver in 2014, so I tend to keep a good phone when I find it.

    paatha13:
    Wow that's incredible news if come true.
    I was thinking V30 but if ZTE released that phone i'm joying the party as stereo speakers is welcome feature that always appreciate at my Axon 7.:good:
    But i want AOD feature too as is one of my favorite,hope ZTE bring that feature

    puremind:
    Participated in several betas for several phones and they did request our feedback for future products as well. When I talked to them at IFA, they said they took that on board and confirmed the direction.

    It will have AoD, we gave that feedback during beta testing and they are working on it. The camera set up is likely to have 1 low light camera and 1 higher pixel one

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,146 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    I hate to toot my own horn but that's what I said in the 4th post in this thread. That ZTE went back to the drawing board after seeing what Samsung did with the screen aspect ratio. And it makes sense that the screen would be the hold up because Samsung makes them and they've got the demand of their own phone sales and they committed screens to Apple also. LG is making them now also but has limited supply and has committed to Google for the Pixel XL 2 screens.

  • jazzijazzi Posts: 105 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The pre-release versions of the LG V30 look downright amazing. I may consider one in a couple of years if they don't inherit the dreaded and frankly pathetic bootloop nightmare which have plagued different versions of LG devices.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,146 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    That site is wrong. There is no way that ZTE is going to release an Axon 8 with the Snapdragon 820 or 821. I think that the only thing that they got right is that something will be announced in October. The giveaway to the credibility of the source is in the first paragraph. They said that the A7 had a "fantastic camera". Every other site always mentioned that the camera was the weak part of the A7. Good in daylight but bad in low light.

  • musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MA Posts: 2,814 mod
    edited September 11, 2017 9:31AM

    @chazzmatt said:
    I have some possible news. Someone from Germany on XDA who participated in focus group for successor to ZTE Axon 7.

    Here's verbatim posts of the conversation:

    ZTE AXON 9

    puremind:
    I agree on the extra RAM, however there is a big trade off to build in a good stereo speaker set up.

    ZTE have confirmed to me that their next smartphone will retain stereo speakers will going with the bezelless design, so that's the brand you should be looking towards if you want stereo speakers. That's also why their next flagship is delayed, they want to do it right. Stereo front facing speakers is their USP but of course it is not as easy to realize with an 18:9 display without the smartphone being big

    puremind:
    ZTE are waiting for more OLED displays in18:9 to become available. Will likely be announced in October.

    It is likely to be called Axon 9, though, better number of a Chinese company from what they told us.

    Axon 9 should have glass design, wireless charging, larger battery around 3800mAh - 4000mAh
    (hence the need for a lighter material) and maintain the stereo speakers, the design is not yet known but front firing side speakers is indeed an option they are considering

    ChazzMatt:
    Oh my goodness. How did you find all this information? I ALMOST bought the Axon 7, but it didn't have Qi wireless charging. Seriously, that is the only reason.

    I like LG a lot, and the V30 will be my next phone, but you're suddenly making me do some more thinking...

    Thank you for all the time and information. I'll be waiting for the carrier unlocked version of the V30 anyways, so I'm not in a hurry. I bought my last daily driver in 2014, so I tend to keep a good phone when I find it.

    paatha13:
    Wow that's incredible news if come true.
    I was thinking V30 but if ZTE released that phone i'm joying the party as stereo speakers is welcome feature that always appreciate at my Axon 7.:good:
    But i want AOD feature too as is one of my favorite,hope ZTE bring that feature

    puremind:
    Participated in several betas for several phones and they did request our feedback for future products as well. When I talked to them at IFA, they said they took that on board and confirmed the direction.

    It will have AoD, we gave that feedback during beta testing and they are working on it. The camera set up is likely to have 1 low light camera and 1 higher pixel one

    I would take ALL this info with a HUGE grain of salt lol there is nothing new or informative just speculation, and not to mention its all just repeats from our thread on the community about what we all wanna see in the next Axon.

  • deannycdeannyc Posts: 9 ✭✭✭✭✭

    yes. the night picture was done using a tripod. i can't remember how long i left the lens open , but the auto seemed to do well by itself. in addition i used the GOOGLE pictures "auto enhance" also on the other picture as well. it really did sharpen up the image. overall i was very very pleased with the quality of the pictures on this trip. i mentioned before about the wifi calling but when i got back to the usa the wifi calling worked like a champ. i guess it was just an issue in greece with the wifi calling. only ONE day did it display properly and say "calls will be made by wifi" .... weird i guess

  • professoraiprofessorai walthamPosts: 3 ✭✭✭✭

    while waiting for the 8 or 9, does anyone know about 7s (6g/128g) availability in US? Stereo speakers are attractive. I've only seen an offer from unknown sellers on ebay or walmart

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,146 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2017 9:30AM

    @professorai said:
    while waiting for the 8 or 9, does anyone know about 7s (6g/128g) availability in US? Stereo speakers are attractive. I've only seen an offer from unknown sellers on ebay or walmart

    There was no 7S in the US. It was called the premium model in the US.

  • MorboMorbo CaliforniaPosts: 2 ✭✭✭

    I hope they don't make the screen 18:9. I'm not a fan of that long/tall screen aspect ratio.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,146 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Morbo said:
    I hope they don't make the screen 18:9. I'm not a fan of that long/tall screen aspect ratio.

    I'm betting that's exactly what the screen will be or something close. I also believe that's why it's been delayed. Screen availability.

  • dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 2,994 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @Morbo said:
    I hope they don't make the screen 18:9. I'm not a fan of that long/tall screen aspect ratio.

    I'm betting that's exactly what the screen will be or something close. I also believe that's why it's been delayed. Screen availability.

    Personally I love the 18.9 screen. It makes a big phone easy to hold.

  • MorboMorbo CaliforniaPosts: 2 ✭✭✭

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @Morbo said:
    I hope they don't make the screen 18:9. I'm not a fan of that long/tall screen aspect ratio.

    I'm betting that's exactly what the screen will be or something close. I also believe that's why it's been delayed. Screen availability.

    I'm not crazy about it, but, yeah, I suspect so also. That would make sense.

  • chazzmattchazzmatt Posts: 50 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @professorai said:
    while waiting for the 8 or 9, does anyone know about 7s (6g/128g) availability in US? Stereo speakers are attractive. I've only seen an offer from unknown sellers on ebay or walmart

    There was no 7S in the US. It was called the premium model in the US.

    You are correct there was no 7S in the U.S, but it's not the "premium" model you are referring to. Very early this year, ZTE released a 7S in China with Snapdragon 821. It was more a response to the OnePlus 3T which was slightly updated OnePlus 3. A lot of ignorant websites started calling it the ZTE Axon 8, but it was NOT.

    The 7S was a China-only release from a Chinese company and was not the next model successor to the ZTE Axon 7. It was basically 7.5. ;)

    Whereas the ZTE Axon 7 "premium" model had Snapdragon 820, but 128GB storage/6GB RAM. It was released in China the same time as the base model ZTE Axon 7 but did not become available outside China until months later.

    The 7S then incorporated the storage/RAM specs but updated to Snapdragon 821. Again, it was more a response to the OnePlus 3T than a real next gen release.

  • kmb877kmb877 Posts: 133 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Axon 8: I just saw this morning a few new interesting posts on Youtube.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,146 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2017 9:41AM

    @kmb877 said:
    Axon 8: I just saw this morning a few new interesting posts on Youtube.

    And like Elaine said on Seinfeld fake, fake, fake. :D

  • beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017 10:35PM

    I can't find it now, but I saw a post somewhere, pretty sure on XDA - maybe someone else has seen it - speculating that the reason for the Axon 7 successor's delay was because, when the US head of ZTE was promoted to global head of the corporation he had his own ideas for the next model and went back to the drawing board. Don't know if that is true, but sounds plausible. (As per the same post, speculation is also that the promotion was due to positive feedback and market performance resulting from his decision to unlock the A7 bootloader. If true, it would be powerful confirmation to those saying all along that it would greatly benefit the company.)

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,146 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @beenwaitingforthis said:
    I can't find it now, but I saw a post somewhere, pretty sure on XDA - maybe someone else has seen it - speculating that the reason for the Axon 7 successor's delay was because, when the US head of ZTE was promoted to global head of the corporation he had his own ideas for the next model and went back to the drawing board. Don't know if that is true, but sounds plausible. (As per the same post, speculation is also that the promotion was due to positive feedback and market performance resulting from his decision to unlock the A7 bootloader. If true, it would be powerful confirmation to those saying all along that it would greatly benefit the company.)

    I'm been convinced that ZTE went back to the drawing board because they saw what Samsung and LG did with the aspect ratio and small bezels and because of the problem with securing the screens because of the lack of availability. Samsung is the main source for the screens and LG 's screen manufacturing capacity is dedicated to their own phones and Google's Pixel 2 XL. I don't see how unlocking the bootloader can be used as a positive thing when that was rescinded a long time ago.

  • beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes, having to wait for screens is part of the problem now, but originally possibly they were not planning to go with 18:9 so that would have been different. Don't know about the bootloader bit, that was what that post claimed anyway.

  • jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,146 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @beenwaitingforthis said:
    Yes, having to wait for screens is part of the problem now, but originally possibly they were not planning to go with 18:9 so that would have been different. Don't know about the bootloader bit, that was what that post claimed anyway.

    I think that you're right. They weren't going to go that route with the screen aspect ratio but Samsung caught everybody off guard with that. Except LG. And yes the bootloader was unlocked but only for a short time.

  • beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 11, 2017 11:28PM

    Be nice if somebody could dig up that original quote. Anyway, I would have been much happier with the previous aspect ratio... And if the bootloader on the new model can't be unlocked, I'll have to reconsider the A7 I guess.

  • musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MA Posts: 2,814 mod

    @beenwaitingforthis said:
    Be nice if somebody could dig up that original quote. Anyway, I would have been much happier with the previous aspect ratio... And if the bootloader on the new model can't be unlocked, I'll have to reconsider the A7 I guess.

    The original method for unlocking the Axon was taken down from the site but there is a reason a developer section exist for the Axon ;) and why the Axon mini is seeing 3rd party development.

  • busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 340 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Did you guys see the ZTE Nubia Z17s that got announced today? Good googly moogly is it beautiful. Gives me extremely high hopes for the new Axon.

    Anyways, if the info mentioned in this thread is legit, I hope it gets released next year with the SD845. No point in releasing a nearly year old processor this late if you aren't Google.

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter Tallahassee FLPosts: 762 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Nubia phones are nice. To bad they don't sell them here.

  • stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    There is more to a phone than just appearance--like the stuff on the inside that really counts.

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter Tallahassee FLPosts: 762 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    ZTE could take the new Nubia phone...rebrand it as a ZTE and sell it here as the AXON 8 and people would buy it.

Sign In or Register to comment.