ZTE Max XL (N9560) Video Issues

AJ79AJ79 Posts: 17 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hello. I recently purchased a ZTE Max XL device for Virgin Mobile, and one of the main thing I was excited for was the 1080p screen, which is a first for me, and on my first ZTE phone as well. The issue, however, is whenever I try to watch a 720p or 1080p video, both at either 60fps or not, the video will play fine for about 2-5 minutes and then randomly cut the video out. The way it happens changes depending on which app I'm using. On YouTube, at about the 2-5 minute mark, it'll randomly buffer, as if it's trying to increase resolution even if it's at max, and then about a minute or two later, the video will go black, leaving the audio, watermark, and YouTube app itself intact. The reason why I don't think it's an issue with the app is because it also happens on Twitch, except instead of buffering, the video and audio immediately pause and stop playing altogether. The same thing happens essentially when trying to live stream at 720p or 1080p. However, every resolution at or below 480p works just fine. I've checked the memory, and there's always at least 400MB of RAM available and my Wi-Fi speeds are at 12mbps download time. I think this has something to do with phone's video card, if not the two apps, and if an update was made to fix it, then I haven't gotten it as I haven't received a notification for an update, nor does rebooting the phone allow me to install the 154mb update the phone says I can get for the ZTE software.

Apparently this issue is common for ZTE Max XL owners, and so far, I've tried the suggested method of uninstalling the apps' updates and re-installing them, with no luck unfortunately. I've also heard that the latest ZTE software update didn't fix the issue, as well as reports that people who have sent their phone to ZTE and gotten their phone back didn't have the issue fixed. Is there something I'm missing, or maybe a quick fix? Cause I really want to utilize the HD video features on this amazing phone, so any help with the issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P. S. When checking out the "Stats for nerds" feature on the YouTube app, whenever the video cuts out, the "Readahead" number immediately drops to the negatives, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Comments

• AJ79AJ79 Posts: 17 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@AJ79 said:
    Hello. I recently purchased a ZTE Max XL device for Virgin Mobile, and one of the main thing I was excited for was the 1080p screen, which is a first for me, and on my first ZTE phone as well. The issue, however, is whenever I try to watch a 720p or 1080p video, both at either 60fps or not, the video will play fine for about 2-5 minutes and then randomly cut the video out. The way it happens changes depending on which app I'm using. On YouTube, at about the 2-5 minute mark, it'll randomly buffer, as if it's trying to increase resolution even if it's at max, and then about a minute or two later, the video will go black, leaving the audio, watermark, and YouTube app itself intact. The reason why I don't think it's an issue with the app is because it also happens on Twitch, except instead of buffering, the video and audio immediately pause and stop playing altogether. The same thing happens essentially when trying to live stream at 720p or 1080p. However, every resolution at or below 480p works just fine. I've checked the memory, and there's always at least 400MB of RAM available and my Wi-Fi speeds are at 12mbps download time. I think this has something to do with phone's video card, if not the two apps, and if an update was made to fix it, then I haven't gotten it as I haven't received a notification for an update, nor does rebooting the phone allow me to install the 154mb update the phone says I can get for the ZTE software.

Apparently this issue is common for ZTE Max XL owners, and so far, I've tried the suggested method of uninstalling the apps' updates and re-installing them, with no luck unfortunately. I've also heard that the latest ZTE software update didn't fix the issue, as well as reports that people who have sent their phone to ZTE and gotten their phone back didn't have the issue fixed. Is there something I'm missing, or maybe a quick fix? Cause I really want to utilize the HD video features on this amazing phone, so any help with the issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P. S. When checking out the "Stats for nerds" feature on the YouTube app, whenever the video cuts out, the "Readahead" number immediately drops to the negatives, but I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

When you click on "restart now to install" it doesn't install? You're not just rebooting your phone without clicking on that are you?

Unfortunately, nothing happens no matter how many times I press the button, even if I press and hold it or reboot the device. I've even intentionally let the battery drain in hopes of it installing the update, but for some reason I haven't been able to force the update.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United StatesPosts: 1,380 admin

I am sending this issue to R&D.

@Aerospaceman said:
    I am sending this issue to R&D.

I really appreciate it. I honestly don't know what the problem is, and if sending it to zte doesn't fix it at the moment, again, reported by others, not myself, then hopefully ZTE can find a quick fix for it and send a patch out in the future.

• SeaWolfSeaWolf Posts: 1 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @AJ79 , I'm a Community manager over at Sprint and Boost. I suspect the problem is that the Boost and Virgin Mobile LTE networks optimize video streaming resolution at 480p. While you may be able to stream at higher resolutions, you're more likely to experience buffering and timeouts, etc. in those circumstances. For more information, check out the VMU page:

https://virginmobileusa.com/plans

Hope that helps!

@SeaWolf said:
    Hey @AJ79 , I'm a Community manager over at Sprint and Boost. I suspect the problem is that the Boost and Virgin Mobile LTE networks optimize video streaming resolution at 480p. While you may be able to stream at higher resolutions, you're more likely to experience buffering and timeouts, etc. in those circumstances. For more information, check out the VMU page:

https://virginmobileusa.com/plans

Hope that helps!

Is that just for the LTE network? Because I performed a factory reset on the phone and was able to install two updates I couldn't do before. They allowed me to watch 720p and 1080p videos just fine (tested over a Wi-Fi connection only) but I still can't watch a 60fps video at both 720p and 1080p without the same issue occurring. Is this just something wrong with the phone? Or is this still related to the network you mentioned despite being on Wi-Fi only?

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United StatesPosts: 1,380 admin

@AJ79 The limitiation is only over LTE from the carrier and not WiFi. So I can try to duplicate this do you mind providing me the youtube link to the video that you are using to test 60fps? I will then test it over WiFi and see what happens.

@Aerospaceman said:
    @AJ79 The limitiation is only over LTE from the carrier and not WiFi. So I can try to duplicate this do you mind providing me the youtube link to the video that you are using to test 60fps? I will then test it over WiFi and see what happens.

I am using this video:

I went ahead and brought out my old HTC Desire 816 which was also for Virgin Mobile, and sure enough, it played through the entire video at 720p 60fps no problem. When I played the Max XL next to it at the same time (both on the same Wi-Fi connection, and both set to 720p60fps) it cut to the black out at about 35 seconds in. If you have the Max XL as well, then I'd greatly appreciate it if you test it as well.

Hello @AJ79 I do have a Max XL. I just tested the same video at 720p 60fps and it played the entire thing without issue. Video looks really nice BTW! Ok, so let's try a few things here.

1. I didn't see you say that you are but I imagine you are using the YoutTube app.
    2. Please check and see if there is an update available to you for the Youtube app. If so please update, restart and try again.
    3. If there is not an update available please clear the cache for the Youtube app only "not the entire phone". To do this go to settings->apps->YouTube->storage->Clear Cache. Reboot the phone and try the video again in 720p 60fps over wifi.

Let me know if you still have the problem.

edited August 17, 2017 11:26AM

@Aerospaceman said:
    Hello @AJ79 I do have a Max XL. I just tested the same video at 720p 60fps and it played the entire thing without issue. Video looks really nice BTW! Ok, so let's try a few things here.

1. I didn't see you say that you are but I imagine you are using the YoutTube app.
    2. Please check and see if there is an update available to you for the Youtube app. If so please update, restart and try again.
    3. If there is not an update available please clear the cache for the Youtube app only "not the entire phone". To do this go to settings->apps->YouTube->storage->Clear Cache. Reboot the phone and try the video again in 720p 60fps over wifi.

Let me know if you still have the problem.

Sorry for the confusion, I was indeed using the YouTube app. After running a bunch of tests after following your steps, I still get the blackout issue on 60fps videos. This is also the same when using the Twitch app, only video and audio playback pause all together.

I hope this isn't too much trouble, but could you watch this video on 1080p60fps on your Max XL for me please? I believe that since it is random, it didn't happen for you since the video was about five and a half minutes long. So I think a video that is 10 minutes or longer has a higher chance of giving you the blackout too. Thanks for all of the help you've given me so far, I really appreciate it!

Accepted Answer

Hello @AJ79 I was able to duplicate this. At about 8 minutes in playing the video at 1080p 60fps the screen blacked out with the audio still playing. Taping on the screen showed the controls but the video was still missing. I am sending this over to our R&D for them to take a look. I can't promise and eta on a fix but rest assured that it is submitted. As soon as I hear anything I will update here. Thanks for your help!

@Aerospaceman said:
    Hello @AJ79 I was able to duplicate this. At about 8 minutes in playing the video at 1080p 60fps the screen blacked out with the audio still playing. Taping on the screen showed the controls but the video was still missing. I am sending this over to our R&D for them to take a look. I can't promise and eta on a fix but rest assured that it is submitted. As soon as I hear anything I will update here. Thanks for your help!

Phew, glad to know I'm not the only one. Thank you for all of the help and submitting the issue! I will regularly check back here in case any update arrives. Again, thanks for all of the help!

edited August 17, 2017 12:08PM

@jimlloyd40 said:
    Kudos to @AJ79 and @Aerospaceman for persevering. You see a lot of threads started that go nowhere and you guys stayed with it. I hope that it gets fixed and would really like to hear the answer.

Yeah, I'm glad @Aerospaceman helped me through the process. I've also seen plenty of threads on multiple sites die out, so I wanted to make sure that for my first thread I actually keep up with it, cause I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with the same problem. Hopefully a fix comes out for the blackout issue.

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @AJ79 You did an exemplary job. Like you said other threads just die out and there's never an outcome. Most of the people who post questions or problems never come back and report if fixes worked or not. I hope that this is resolved for you and if you find an answer please let us know.

Will do. Luckily, the factory reset I performed yesterday allowed me to finally get updates from ZTE, so if they release a patch for the issue in the future, I'll be sure to report back here with my findings.

edited August 29, 2017 4:26PM

@AJ79 I have some new information. This issue has been resolved and will be available on the next update to the device. Just don't know when that will be at this time as it is a carrier device.

@Aerospaceman That's awesome! I'll patiently be waiting and will come back to confirm whether or not the issue has been resolved. Thank you!

Hey @Aerospaceman , this is AJ checking back in a month and a half later. Still no ZTE software update or firmware available yet. Do you by any chance have a general idea of when it might come out?

• That's a really good question that hasn't been answered for months. I went ahead and purchased two of these phones on faith. ZTE, don't let us down!

• teraclipseteraclipse SA, TXPosts: 5 ✭✭✭

I have been having the same exact issue since I bought the phone in June 2017 from Boost. I have done all the listed "fixes" and taken it into the store a couple times. For me it does it CONSTANTLY on YouTube, but Netflix and other video apps work fine. I also have problems with the screen going negative all the time regardless if any app is running. I have to turn off the screen and turn it back on for it to go back to normal.

I have also had other issues with the "stock" phone and messaging app. The phone app will completely stop working and I have to go through contacts to place a call and my message app will say I have unread messages when I don't. I will find a place to post about that since it is unrelated.

Anyone get the update yet? We're nearing 3 months since it was announced an update was to be rolled out, and still nothing. I have the Virgin Mobile version of the phone, and I'm sure others have the Boost Mobile version. Any updates on the current status of the roll out would be greatly appreciated.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@AJ79 said:
    Anyone get the update yet? We're nearing 3 months since it was announced an update was to be rolled out, and still nothing. I have the Virgin Mobile version of the phone, and I'm sure others have the Boost Mobile version. Any updates on the current status of the roll out would be greatly appreciated.

@AJ79 who announced that an update was coming out? ZTE wouldn't have announced it since those are carrier phones.

@Aerospaceman replied earlier this year on August 29th that the issue was resolved and will be fixed with the next update, and he also added that he didn't know when that will be since it's a carrier device. Does that mean I need to go to Virgin Mobile at this point? Or is it something ZTE and Virgin Mobile/Boost Mobile need to work out?

@jimlloyd40 said:

@AJ79 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@AJ79 said:

@AJ79 who announced that an update was coming out? ZTE wouldn't have announced it since those are carrier phones.

@Aerospaceman replied earlier this year on August 29th that the issue was resolved and will be fixed with the next update, and he also added that he didn't know when that will be since it's a carrier device. Does that mean I need to go to Virgin Mobile at this point? Or is it something ZTE and Virgin Mobile/Boost Mobile need to work out?

You would need to go to Virgin Mobile because the only thing that you'll hear from anyone is that it's up to Virgin Mobile to provide the update. If enough people complain maybe it will be resolved faster.

Darn, I don't know if they'll listen since they went all Apple earlier this year and plan on transferring us Android users to Boost Mobile next year. It's definitely worth a shot nonetheless, but I appreciate all of the help so far!

• RFelger71RFelger71 44460Posts: 3 ✭✭✭✭

Just received the update. This is the 2nd system update since buying the phone in May. The last update should be a security patch dated November 1 2017. Approximately 158MB. IMPORTANT- You MUST have 100% battery when you install update. ZTE is just weird that way.

@RFelger71 said:
    Just received the update. This is the 2nd system update since buying the phone in May. The last update should be a security patch dated November 1 2017. Approximately 158MB. IMPORTANT- You MUST have 100% battery when you install update. ZTE is just weird that way.

Is this the patch for the video issues mentioned above by any chance? And if so, is this available on Virgin Mobile phones?

• RFelger71RFelger71 44460Posts: 3 ✭✭✭✭

I haven't had the video issue mentioned above, due to always using WiFi, but, the 1st thing I noticed was the signal meter is now segregated, and the device as a whole is more responsive. As far as who gets the update and when, I'm not sure. I'm on Boost and it came out Nov 1. I didn't even see the download come in, just got notified after. Make sure you have 100% battery when you install, as it may need to reset battery stats when it installs. If you haven't gotten it yet, hit ZTE update in system updates. It may bump you up in line of who gets it when?