Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

Actions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Featured User of the Month

trotter trotter

Joined on: December 25, 2016

User's Score: 70

Eclipse Countdown 2017

I have zmax pro an was wondering if you are able to root it.

WendallNKatie14WendallNKatie14 Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited August 6, 2017 8:06AM in ZMAX

It's my first time ever trying to root a phone an I tried to root it from a couple different root apps an root apks like king root an kingoroot, iroot, an a few others an none of them worked just wondering if there able to be rooted or not an is there any way to update the software of the Android 7.0

Answers

• Lmk any info will help thank

• snn5snn5 Southeast USPosts: 616 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

There is no root. There will be no N7.

The device is past the point of root due to age. Not saying someone won't achieve root but the next Zmax will be released long before and with 7.x.

At the usual cheap or free price point that these phones usually release at, turnover is fast and often and no use really investing a lot of time into it with cheap phones being a dime a dozen.

It used to be root was needed to really control RAM and apps etc....but it's fallen out of favor since Android manages everything much better now. Catch 22 is that cheap phones come and go and flagship don't need root.

Yes. There are some benefits to root. Some apps can do a lot more with root permissions. However the common man wants a well performing phone without the need to tinker. Phones are becoming that with new versions of Android. Most folks who want root benefits are utilizing devices that have more capabilities to begin with.

Those facts are what keep low tier devices from root.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@WendallNKatie14 said:
    It's my first time ever trying to root a phone an I tried to root it from a couple different root apps an root apks like king root an kingoroot, iroot, an a few others an none of them worked just wondering if there able to be rooted or not an is there any way to update the software of the Android 7.0

I haven't seen them but someone said in another thread that there are videos on YouTube that show the Zmax Pro being rooted.

• keithisreal2013keithisreal2013 Austin, TexasPosts: 99 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2017 11:28AM

I hope you find what you're looking for.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@WendallNKatie14 said:

I haven't seen them but someone said in another thread that there are videos on YouTube that show the Zmax Pro being rooted.

Many videos show other similar devices but each method is different for each device given the different software and code and kernel etc....

Most are clickbait. None work.

@snn5 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@WendallNKatie14 said:

Many videos show other similar devices but each method is different for each device given the different software and code and kernel etc....

Since I no longer have the phone I didn't watch any of them. I was just passing along the info that I saw on another thread.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@snn5 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@WendallNKatie14 said:

Since I no longer have the phone I didn't watch any of them. I was just passing along the info that I saw on another thread.

If I could find a buyer I wouldn't have mine either.

• alton28alton28 Posts: 11 ✭✭✭✭

The zmax pro could still get android 7.0 it two years is the cut off time that google won't let a manufacturer update the operating system its still time

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Moderator Posts: 1,097 admin

We have to remember that the ZMAX Pro is a carrier device. It is up to the carrier if they want to put out an update or not. ZTE can only do what the carrier asks.

@alton28 said:
    The zmax pro could still get android 7.0 it two years is the cut off time that google won't let a manufacturer update the operating system its still time

Android runs an 18 month update possibility window. That period is nearly passed. The next Zmax or equivalent will be here before then and will have 7.x already. I saw you reference the LG Stylo 2. LG is a much bigger brand. Total units sold were much higher. Also it was updated about the same to.e or before the Stylo 3 Plus was released which launched with 7.0. Obviously there are flagship phones like the V10 and G4 that got 7.x over 2 years after launch but those were flagships.

@snn5 said:

@alton28 said:

Android runs an 18 month update possibility window. That period is nearly passed. The next Zmax or equivalent will be here before then and will have 7.x already. I saw you reference the LG Stylo 2. LG is a much bigger brand. Total units sold were much higher. Also it was updated about the same to.e or before the Stylo 3 Plus was released which launched with 7.0. Obviously there are flagship phones like the V10 and G4 that got 7.x over 2 years after launch but those were flagships.

That's what I've been saying. I wouldn't expect an OS update on a budget or midrange phone. It's kind of like options on cars. You've got to step up in price to get the better options or in this case OS updates.