Where to find parts? (Rear facing camera)

rdstousrdstous Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

I somehow broke the glass (I don't think it's a lens, just a cover) on my rear facing camera. I live in Papua New Guinea so I would have to wait weeks if I wanted to mail my phone in for a replacement, which I simply don't want to do.

I would rather just order a new part (or at least a junked phone) but I can't seem to find any.

Does anyone know where to find parts? Can anyone think of a place besides eBay to look for junked phones?

Answers

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@rdstous said:
    I somehow broke the glass (I don't think it's a lens, just a cover) on my rear facing camera. I live in Papua New Guinea so I would have to wait weeks if I wanted to mail my phone in for a replacement, which I simply don't want to do.

I would rather just order a new part (or at least a junked phone) but I can't seem to find any.

Does anyone know where to find parts? Can anyone think of a place besides eBay to look for junked phones?

Your best chance would be a local repair store. The stores that do repairs have sources for parts that aren't available to the general public.

• runtohell121runtohell121 CaliforniaPosts: 2,054 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Most likely you will not be able to find parts to replace it. Best bet is to ship it to ZTE and have them do the repair. It's rare to find salvage parts for the Axon.

• rdstousrdstous Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@rdstous said:

Your best chance would be a local repair store. The stores that do repairs have sources for parts that aren't available to the general public.

Yeah, those don't really exist in PNG. The closest repair shop is in Australia, but they don't want to help since I bought the phone in the States. I may try asking the shop if I can buy the part from them though. Worth a shot

• rdstousrdstous Posts: 3 ✭✭✭

@runtohell121 said:
    Most likely you will not be able to find parts to replace it. Best bet is to ship it to ZTE and have them do the repair. It's rare to find salvage parts for the Axon.

Yeah, that seems to be the case...

• shadowsportsshadowsports Bay Area - CAPosts: 105 ✭✭✭✭✭

I must be the minority. I'd buy a new phone. If you can't source the parts locally, repair shop, buying a broken device, or ebay and don't have a ZTE service center nearby, just buy something else. You're going to need a back up device anyway... plus, you re risking damaging the Axon either way when you take it apart and put it back together. I couldn't go without a mobile device for more than 24hrs. My work and ability to earn a living relies on this connectivity. I know this doesn't apply to everyone. Your camera being broken isn't the end of the world, but it happened. Given your location, you can choose to live with it, or move on.