Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.

You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.

Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.

Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

Install Google Dialer on Axon 7

benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 302 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 15, 2017 12:04PM in Mobile Education

This tutorial is for installing the Google Dialer on any Axon 7 device as the stock ZTE dialer sucks (in my opinion). This will also work for any other Android 6.0+ device but this is modified for the Axon 7.

Prerequisites

Axon 7 or any other Android 6.0+ device
Computer

Instructions

1) Enable Unknown Sources in Settings>Security. This is needed to sideload apks.

2) Download the Google Dialer apk from APKMirror here: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-phone/google-phone-7-0-140861421-nonnexus-release/google-phone-7-0-140861421-nonnexus-android-apk-download/

Do not download any other version it will not install!

Once the Dialer app has been downloaded click on the download notification to launch the installer. Click 'Install' at the bottom right.

3) Download Google Contacts from the Play Store here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.contacts&hl=en

4) Go to Settings>Default Apps>Dialer and set the Google dialer as the default dialer.

5) Go to Settings>Apps and tap the three dots at the top right. Click on 'Show system'.

6) Go down to the stock Dialer app and tap on it. Press disable.

7) Go down to the Google Phone app and tap on it. Grant the Phone and Contacts permissions. Turn on 'Draw over other apps' and 'Modify system settings'.

8) Go to Settings>Power Manager>Power management for apps>Phone and disable all power saving policies for it. Allow the app to autostart as well.

9) Go to Settings>About Phone and tap on build number 7 times to enable developer options.

10) Go to Settings>Advanced Options>Developer options and turn on USB debugging.

11) Download the 15 second adb installer from here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2588979

Launch the installer and input 'Y' to everything, including to install ADB systemwide.

12) Connect your Axon 7 to your PC with the USB-C cable that came with the device.

13) Press the Windows and X buttons on your keyboard and click on 'Command prompt'.

14) Execute the following command:

adb shell pm hide com.android.incallui

This will disable the call UI of the stock dialer during a phone call.

15) Reboot your device.

Comments

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 11,802 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

It's been awhile since I used a Nexus phone so I don't remember what the Google dialer was like but what is that good about it to go to that length to install it?

• FityPFityP Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited August 14, 2017 2:38PM

I can not execute the last line.

Error: java.lang.SecurityException: Shell cannot change component state for com.android.incallui/null to 2

I am on stock 7.1.1 with MiFavor UI 4.2

Edit: I also do not have an option to 'Draw over other apps' available.

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 302 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FityP said:
    I can not execute the last line.

Error: java.lang.SecurityException: Shell cannot change component state for com.android.incallui/null to 2

I am on stock 7.1.1 with MiFavor UI 4.2

Edit: I also do not have an option to 'Draw over other apps' available.

Try adb shell pm hide com.android.incallui