Camera2 API is missing from the Axon 7 but it's still very important in ameliorating image quality.

gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 269 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 17, 2017 2:14PM in Axon

You may or may not know about Camera2 API but it is actually very essential in making your phone last longer through custom Camera apps and custom ROMs.

Camera2 API, from what I've seen (correct me if I'm wrong), allows for better control of the camera by apps which in turn may allow for better photo quality through third party camera apps and even custom ROMs which, most of the time, have worse camera quality than stock.

Recently, someone has ported the Google Camera with HDR+ to any devices with a Snapdragon 820 and up devices which should include the Axon 7. Unfortunately, Camera2 API being missing, this app does not work with the Axon 7 on stock nor on custom ROMs.

Why does it matter? In short, HDR+ allows much better photo quality during low light situations even on cameras that aren't even the best on the market. The Google Pixel which has without doubt one of the best if not the best photo quality in smartphone doesn't have a particularly good camera but HDR+ allows for much better image quality.

TL:DR Camera2 API is essential in ameliorating the low-light image quality or image quality as a whole. While the Axon 7 already has a good camera, Camera2 API will allow for much better image processing and thus much better image quality.

Thank you

Edit: Comparison images

OP3 Night (1st is HDR+, 2nd is stock): https://imgur.com/gallery/SrE1t
OP3 Day (1st is HDR+, 2nd is stock): http://imgur.com/a/JWxaw

OP3T Day (1st is stock, 2nd is HDR+): https://imgur.com/gallery/mEA6p

Xiaomi mi5s collection (which is reputed for having terrible image quality): http://imgur.com/a/aiXbF

I'll add more images but the Xiaomi mi5s album is probably the most staggering difference in image quality.

Edit 2:

LG V20: http://imgur.com/a/ATXRC

OnePlus 5: https://imgur.com/gallery/blVXA

The difference is amazing on the OP5 and LG V20.

Comments

• loomis2loomis2 CincinnatiPosts: 24

Has anyone found a version of the Google Camera app that works with the A7? I would love to have the ability to take photosphere photos again. I tried a few of the newer versions of the app but they are buggy, especially when selecting anything other than the normal camera mode.

• I would like this feature too. I don't understand why ZTE has blocked certain apps to be installed!?

• scott_mscott_m Schaumburg, IL USAPosts: 365 ✭✭✭✭✭

Google StreetView does photospheres and Cardboard Camera does a nice job with 360 view pictures with sound.

• aristheoaristheo Posts: 12 ✭✭✭

Now I know why I couldn't get the app to run. Thanks for this analysis. Hopefully, ZTE will implement the api in the next update.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,437 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gryphticon said:
    You may or may not know about Camera2 API but it is actually very essential in making your phone last longer through custom Camera apps and custom ROMs.

Camera2 API, from what I've seen (correct me if I'm wrong), allows for better control of the camera by apps which in turn may allow for better photo quality through third party camera apps and even custom ROMs which, most of the time, have worse camera quality than stock.

Recently, someone has ported the Google Camera with HDR+ to any devices with a Snapdragon 820 and up devices which should include the Axon 7. Unfortunately, Camera2 API being missing, this app does not work with the Axon 7 on stock nor on custom ROMs.

Why does it matter? In short, HDR+ allows much better photo quality during low light situations even on cameras that aren't even the best on the market. The Google Pixel which has without doubt one of the best if not the best photo quality in smartphone doesn't have a particularly good camera but HDR+ allows for much better image quality.

TL:DR Camera2 API is essential in ameliorating the low-light image quality or image quality as a whole. While the Axon 7 already has a good camera, Camera2 API will allow for much better image processing and thus much better image quality.

Thank you

That's correct the Google camera app will just crash on the A7 but it will work on the A7 running Lineage although only standard HDR works not the HDR +.

• yamyam_sryamyam_sr Posts: 12 ✭✭✭

Look for google camera apk with version (API19).

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@gryphticon said:

Thank you

That's correct the Google camera app will just crash on the A7 but it will work on the A7 running Lineage although only standard HDR works not the HDR +.

Google Camera Standard HDR also works on MiFavor if you install Google Camera through Play Store. Seems like HDR+ is just plain out unavailable to every Axon 7 user regardless of their ROM.

• louisdlouisd Ashburn, VAPosts: 957 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@gryphticon said:
    Seems like HDR+ is just plain out unavailable to every Axon 7 user regardless of their ROM.

That's correct. Without Camera2 API, it won't work. Period. There are other threads here about the subject. This has been an issue since Day 1 and does not appear to be something that ZTE is planning on fixing.

@aabnamak said:
    I would like this feature too. I don't understand why ZTE has blocked certain apps to be installed!?

ZTE hasn't blocked any apps from being installed. That doesn't mean that all apps are compatible with ZTEs Android build to the APIs that they have chosen to support. The main problem for 3rd party camera apps is that ZTE has not made the Camera2 API available.

• musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MA Posts: 2,691 mod
    edited August 15, 2017 8:56AM

Its not available on the play store because its not compatible with all devices

@louisd said:

@gryphticon said:
    Seems like HDR+ is just plain out unavailable to every Axon 7 user regardless of their ROM.

That's correct. Without Camera2 API, it won't work. Period. There are other threads here about the subject. This has been an issue since Day 1 and does not appear to be something that ZTE is planning on fixing.

Yep but if enough people push it, it might be possible that ZTE changes their mind.

edited August 17, 2017 7:09AM

@gryphticon said:

Yep but if enough people push it, it might be possible that ZTE changes their mind.

Best of luck with that. I bought the phone on launch day. Since that day the community has been pushing for action, or even a concrete response, on the lack of Camera2 API, the lack of Widevine L1 certification, and the formal unlocking program. We've gotten nothing. Given that it has been over a year, and we're at the point where ZTE is likely thinking more about their next "flagship" rather than their last one, I think any hope is false hope.

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 325 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@louisd said:

@gryphticon said:

Best of luck with that. I bought the phone on launch day. Since that day the community has been pushing for action, or even a concrete response, on the lack of Camera2 API, the lack of Widevine L1 certification, and the formal unlocking program. We've gotten nothing. Given that it has been over a year, and we're at the point where ZTE is likely thinking more about their next "flagship" rather than their last one, I think any hope is false hope.

I hate to say it, but I think I agree. It looks like A7 support from ZTE will be bare minimum from here on out.

@kidnova said:

@louisd said:

@gryphticon said:

I hate to say it, but I think I agree. It looks like A7 support from ZTE will be bare minimum from here on out.

I agree also and it's things like this that cause people to say that ZTE is not listening. To the people who say that ZTE is listening I would like to hear why they are ignoring this. I don't doubt that they were listening in the past but they've become very hard of hearing.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@louisd said:

@gryphticon said:

I agree also and it's things like this that cause people to say that ZTE is not listening. To the people who say that ZTE is listening I would like to hear why they are ignoring this. I don't doubt that they were listening in the past but they've become very hard of hearing.

They pretty much listen some things while they ignore others. I don't see how it's so difficult for them to get Camera2 API up and working. It would greatly improve the phone.

@gryphticon said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@louisd said:

@gryphticon said:

They pretty much listen some things while they ignore others. I don't see how it's so difficult for them to get Camera2 API up and working. It would greatly improve the phone.

If anyone saw the picture comparisons using the Google camera with HDR + you would be pushing for the Camera2 API.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@gryphticon said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@louisd said:

@gryphticon said:

If anyone saw the picture comparisons using the Google camera with HDR + you would be pushing for the Camera2 API.

Yep, it's pretty much night and day. It might even make low light be able to compete with other phones. I'll update the original post to put comparison pictures on other phones.

You would think that with all the complaints about the picture quality on the A7 especially in low light that the simple update to Camera2 API would be something that ZTE would expedite.

@jimlloyd40 said:
    You would think that with all the complaints about the picture quality on the A7 especially in low light that the simple update to Camera2 API would be something that ZTE would expedite.

Yeah, it's really my main disappointment at the moment with the Axon 7. We should really be able to install everything people can install on other phones like the OnePlus 3 but we're missing features like Camera2 API which can't even be added in through custom ROMs.

@jimlloyd40 said:

Maybe @sshasan can check on the possibility? Seems like all of ZTE has gone dark.

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Maybe @sshasan can check on the possibility? Seems like all of ZTE has gone dark.

Not all of ZTE has gone dark. They are poised to overtake LG as the third largest seller of smartphones in the US with a 36 % sales increase in the last quarter alone. All of their attention is in the budget and midrange phones.

edited August 17, 2017 2:14PM

Updated the OP with comparison images, the difference is extremely staggering. Especially the xiaomi mi5s

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Not all of ZTE has gone dark. They are poised to overtake LG as the third largest seller of smartphones in the US with a 36 % sales increase in the last quarter alone. All of their attention is in the budget and midrange phones.

I'm not talking about their business, as that appears to be going fine. I'm referring to interaction here on the forums outside of the ones they make asking for volunteers.

• fathermockerfathermocker ChilePosts: 3 ✭✭

This is so necessary. Please allow us to use Camera2 API.

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I'm not talking about their business, as that appears to be going fine. I'm referring to interaction here on the forums outside of the ones they make asking for volunteers.

They've never had much interaction on the forum itself.

@gryphticon said:
    Updated the OP with comparison images, the difference is extremely staggering. Especially the xiaomi mi5s

Thanks @gryphticon the differences are startling. Such an easy update for ZTE. I don't know if we're allowed to start polls anymore but if we are you should start one. Polls in the past have definitely influenced ZTE to take action. That's how we got capacitive buttons in the first place.

• musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MA Posts: 2,691 mod
    edited August 17, 2017 2:35PM

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

ZTE by no means has gone dark, ZTE Product Ambassadors, Forum Ambassadors and Technical Ambassadors are live on the on the community every day, all of us are always happy to help in anyway possible.
    https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/23455/introducing-your-mod-squad

@musicdjm said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

ZTE by no means has gone dark, ZTE Product Ambassadors, Forum Ambassadors and Technical Ambassadors are live on the on the community every day, all of us are always happy to help in anyway possible.

@musicdjm when people say that ZTE has gone dark I think that they're mainly talking about the A7 since there hasn't been an update in over 5 months. And most recently about why we can't get an answer to the Widevine problem and the Camera2 API. And all of you forum guys and gals do a great job with the forum but you don't speak for ZTE on these issues.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@musicdjm said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@musicdjm when people say that ZTE has gone dark I think that they're mainly talking about the A7 since there hasn't been an update in over 5 months. And most recently about why we can't get an answer to the Widevine problem and the Camera2 API. And all of you forum guys and gals do a great job with the forum but you don't speak for ZTE on these issues.

I agree with you, we need a concrete response from the dev team or corporate concerning these issues. Besides, it's a bit annoying that ZTE is one of the only companies that kept a potentially compatible phone incompatible. HDR+ even works on Samsung phones, if ZTE wants to follow the footsteps of more successful companies, they can start by copying how they all have Camera2 API enabled.

edited August 17, 2017 6:51PM

@gryphticon said:
    I agree with you, we need a concrete response from the dev team or corporate concerning these issues. Besides, it's a bit annoying that ZTE is one of the only companies that kept a potentially compatible phone incompatible. HDR+ even works on Samsung phones, if ZTE wants to follow the footsteps of more successful companies, they can start by copying how they all have Camera2 API enabled.

I passed my A7 on to my son and now an S8 is my daily driver. I'm using the modified Google Camera and although the S8 was already leagues beyond the A7, the improvement is remarkable.