Camera2 API is missing from the Axon 7 but it's still very important in ameliorating image quality.

Comments

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 274 ✭✭✭✭✭

@louisd said:

@gryphticon said:
    I agree with you, we need a concrete response from the dev team or corporate concerning these issues. Besides, it's a bit annoying that ZTE is one of the only companies that kept a potentially compatible phone incompatible. HDR+ even works on Samsung phones, if ZTE wants to follow the footsteps of more successful companies, they can start by copying how they all have Camera2 API enabled.

I passed my A7 on to my son and now an S8 is my daily driver. I'm using the modified Google Camera and although the S8 was already leagues beyond the A7, the improvement is remarkable.

Yep, it's incredible how software makes such a big difference. HDR+ is the only reason phones developed by Google have good camera quality in the first place, it would be crap with software that every other companies use. Hopefully, eventually, it becomes a standard for all phones. Even regular HDR on the Axon 7 improves low light quality but HDR+ would be a much needed upgrade.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,147 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@louisd said:

@gryphticon said:
    I agree with you, we need a concrete response from the dev team or corporate concerning these issues. Besides, it's a bit annoying that ZTE is one of the only companies that kept a potentially compatible phone incompatible. HDR+ even works on Samsung phones, if ZTE wants to follow the footsteps of more successful companies, they can start by copying how they all have Camera2 API enabled.

I passed my A7 on to my son and now an S8 is my daily driver. I'm using the modified Google Camera and although the S8 was already leagues beyond the A7, the improvement is remarkable.

I'm using the Google camera on the U11 also but the difference is very minor if at all. The U11 does have a very slightly better camera than the Pixel phones according to DxOMark and maybe HTC is already utilizing HDR + since they did make the Pixels.

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 348 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    You would think that with all the complaints about the picture quality on the A7 especially in low light that the simple update to Camera2 API would be something that ZTE would expedite.

Maybe @sshasan can check on the possibility? Seems like all of ZTE has gone dark.

Not all of ZTE has gone dark. They are poised to overtake LG as the third largest seller of smartphones in the US with a 36 % sales increase in the last quarter alone. All of their attention is in the budget and midrange phones.

I'm not talking about their business, as that appears to be going fine. I'm referring to interaction here on the forums outside of the ones they make asking for volunteers.

They've never had much interaction on the forum itself.

Yeah, they did in the beginning.

edited August 18, 2017 9:52AM

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    You would think that with all the complaints about the picture quality on the A7 especially in low light that the simple update to Camera2 API would be something that ZTE would expedite.

Maybe @sshasan can check on the possibility? Seems like all of ZTE has gone dark.

Not all of ZTE has gone dark. They are poised to overtake LG as the third largest seller of smartphones in the US with a 36 % sales increase in the last quarter alone. All of their attention is in the budget and midrange phones.

I'm not talking about their business, as that appears to be going fine. I'm referring to interaction here on the forums outside of the ones they make asking for volunteers.

Except for @petershih I don't remember anyone else. Can you provide some other examples?

@musicdjm said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

ZTE by no means has gone dark, ZTE Product Ambassadors, Forum Ambassadors and Technical Ambassadors are live on the on the community every day, all of us are always happy to help in anyway possible.
    https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/23455/introducing-your-mod-squad

I appreciate what you guys do, but ambassadors > @jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Except for @petershih I don't remember anyone else. Can you provide some other examples?

Probably, but I don't really have the time or desire just to prove a minor and insignificant point. If you don't think there's a difference in the level of community interaction from the staff today compared to this time last year then so be it.

@kidnova said:

@musicdjm said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

ZTE by no means has gone dark, ZTE Product Ambassadors, Forum Ambassadors and Technical Ambassadors are live on the on the community every day, all of us are always happy to help in anyway possible.

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Probably, but I don't really have the time or desire just to prove a minor and insignificant point. If you don't think there's a difference in the level of community interaction from the staff today compared to this time last year then so be it.

I don't want to argue about it either but are you confusing people who run the forum with the people who actually work for ZTE?

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@musicdjm said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I don't want to argue about it either but are you confusing people who run the forum with the people who actually work for ZTE?

No, I'm specifically talking about sshasan, petershih, and aerospaceman. I'm not saying there were more employees, just that the level of interaction and responsiveness from the same employees has dropped off.

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@musicdjm said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

No, I'm specifically talking about sshasan, petershih, and aerospaceman. I'm not saying there were more employees, just that the level of interaction and responsiveness from the same employees has dropped off.

I could be wrong but I think Petershih is the only one of those three that actually works for ZTE.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@musicdjm said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I could be wrong but I think Petershih is the only one of those three that actually works for ZTE.

Hmmm...if that's the case then I stand corrected. I thought both of them were ZTE employees.

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@musicdjm said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Hmmm...if that's the case then I stand corrected. I thought both of them were ZTE employees.

I could be mistaken and I can't remember which thread I read that in a long time ago.

• louisdlouisd Ashburn, VAPosts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

I do think you're wrong. I'm pretty sure all three are employees.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@musicdjm said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I could be mistaken and I can't remember which thread I read that in a long time ago.

All 3 are ZTE employees. That's why you see a "Z" after their usernames in the Community. Thanks guys!

@louisd said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I do think you're wrong. I'm pretty sure all three are employees.

Could be, I'll check when I have more time.

edited August 18, 2017 12:10PM

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@musicdjm said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kidnova said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

All 3 are ZTE employees. That's why you see a "Z" after their usernames in the Community. Thanks guys!

Thanks @hollap. I stand corrected. I do see @sshasan in here all the time and lately @Aerospaceman also but very rarely @petershih.
    And @kidnova you were right.

• chuckbortchuckbort USAPosts: 400 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I thought JWill worked for ZTE! :D

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 231 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kind of agree, the answer used to be quicker here from official source. Now, what I mostly see is community user here to help others.

ZTE is very active promoting product on Twitter, but lately there are less updates on work done on the Axon serie.

Maybe they are too busy working...

• xblackdemonxxblackdemonx CanadaPosts: 102 ✭✭✭✭

Will the Axon 7 ever get the camera 2 api?

• beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 640 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, adding Camera2 API would be a great improvement and should be easy for them to do. It would go a long way to demonstrating that they listen, care, and are trying to make up shortcomings. That would make me seriously reconsider the Axon 7, since I'll eat my words if 8 comes out this year and this has not been the great year for phones with better speakers that I thought it would be. (A family member played a video on her Nexus 6 a while ago and I was really impressed with how much better the sound is with two front facing speakers, even on an older model; I don't want to give that up.)

• hussainovhussainov Posts: 7 ✭✭✭
    edited September 6, 2017 11:18PM

Any news on this matter? The camera is the only thing I really don't like on the Axon 7 and this will definitely fix it. Still hopeful ={

@hussainov said:
    Any news on this matter? The camera is the only thing I really don't like on the Axon 7 and this will definitely fix it. Still hopeful ={

@hussainov no news on the Camera2 API. Since the A7 just got an update it will probably be quite some time before the next update. They sure won't do an update just for the Camera2 API.

• 14blank4014blank40 Posts: 163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2017 12:49AM

Guys, if you would like them to hopefully address this then fill out the survey that when up recently!

Edit: went, not when

• hussainovhussainov Posts: 7 ✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2017 1:29PM

@14blank40 said:
    Guys, if you would like them to hopefully address this then fill out the survey that when up recently!

Edit: went, not when

Can you post the link of that survey? Thanks.

Edit: found it.

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 274 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • cacarrcacarr Posts: 87 ✭✭✭✭✭

The camera is perhaps the Axon 7's worst feature, so I really don't understand their reluctance to take a step in adopting Camera2 API that is very likely to improve the situation.

@cacarr said:
    The camera is perhaps the Axon 7's worst feature, so I really don't understand their reluctance to take a step in adopting Camera2 API that is very likely to improve the situation.

It would improve it dramatically because we could then use the Google camera app with HDR +. There have been several different phones that were compared with the stock camera app and the Google camera app and the difference is remarkable.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@cacarr said:

It would improve it dramatically because we could then use the Google camera app with HDR +. There have been several different phones that were compared with the stock camera app and the Google camera app and the difference is remarkable.

Why haven't they done this? Are there technical or cost issues I'm not aware of?

What makes it even more annoying is that my camera actually seems worse after Nougat -- more blur, more washed-out skies, and even more low-light noise.

@cacarr said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@cacarr said:

Why haven't they done this? Are there technical or cost issues I'm not aware of?

I don't know why they haven't done it. It's just software that could have been added with the B32 update.

• foxtrotdragonfoxtrotdragon CanadaPosts: 19 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cacarr said:
    What makes it even more annoying is that my camera actually seems worse after Nougat -- more blur, more washed-out skies, and even more low-light noise.

Do you have any photos that can show this, ive thought ive seen the same thing but i deleted my photos

@foxtrotdragon said:

@cacarr said:

Do you have any photos that can show this, ive thought ive seen the same thing but i deleted my photos

Sorry for stating the obvious but take some pictures to see for yourself. Why did you delete your photos? An accident or intentional?