Camera2 API is missing from the Axon 7 but it's still very important in ameliorating image quality.

Comments

• foxtrotdragonfoxtrotdragon CanadaPosts: 19 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@foxtrotdragon said:

@cacarr said:
    What makes it even more annoying is that my camera actually seems worse after Nougat -- more blur, more washed-out skies, and even more low-light noise.

Do you have any photos that can show this, ive thought ive seen the same thing but i deleted my photos

Sorry for stating the obvious but take some pictures to see for yourself. Why did you delete your photos? An accident or intentional?

I have pictures of myself, but i lost the photos by accident, i was transfering from my old micro sd to a new one and it corrupted them, i didnt really take and have anything important, but i dont have a comparison anymore

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@foxtrotdragon said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@foxtrotdragon said:

@cacarr said:
    What makes it even more annoying is that my camera actually seems worse after Nougat -- more blur, more washed-out skies, and even more low-light noise.

Do you have any photos that can show this, ive thought ive seen the same thing but i deleted my photos

Sorry for stating the obvious but take some pictures to see for yourself. Why did you delete your photos? An accident or intentional?

I have pictures of myself, but i lost the photos by accident, i was transfering from my old micro sd to a new one and it corrupted them, i didnt really take and have anything important, but i dont have a comparison anymore

I would recommend using the Google Photos app. You get 15 GB of storage at full resolution or unlimited storage at reduced resolution. If you would have had Google Photos your photos would have been protected from loss. When you take a picture it will be instantly on your PC and you can edit the pictures from the PC also. That sucks to lose your photos the way that you did.

• razor512razor512 New York Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Noise levels shouldn't have increased since those areas were not really touched for a very long time. I think shortly after the phone came out, some improvements were made in the area of the accuracy of the metering white balance and general performance, and possibly some noise reduction, but after that, most of the changes I have noticed were increases in auto focus performance for stills and video, and in android 7, changes in how the camera app handled the metadata for DNG files (along with improvements in auto focus). For example, if you take a raw file from when ZTE first added that option, and take another one taken under B32, you will see that the quality is improved, while you are still dealing with the raw data, you now have better camera calibration data so your image editor knows how to better interpret the data. Highlight recovery can now go further, and compatibility has improved for both newer image editors, as well as older ones.

One thing with the camera is that it will use either center weighted or spot metering in auto mode Furthermore, to avoid a blurry image, it has to also balance ISO and shutter speed, as it is better to have an image that is sharp but has more noise due to a higher ISO, instead of an image that has less noise but tons of motion blur.
    The environment has a heavy impact on the noise levels you will get. In-camera metering will either sample a tiny area for spot metering, or sample a large area for center weighted metering , and then attempt to calculate an exposure that achieves a 50% gray on the luminance channel, This also means that things like clothing color, room color, how reflective objects in the room are, and a wide range of other factors will impact which choice of ISO and shutter speed the camera makes.

Under auto mode, it will not use a shutter speed that is below what the OIS can compensate for under normal conditions, thus in low light situations the camera will be mostly riding the ISO range.

From my experience so far, the noise reduction changes that were made a while back are very good. From experimenting with the raw files and various noise reduction processes. I could not come up with a single general noise reduction profile that did as good of a job as the ZTE ones. The only times I could do better, is with a custom profile that only works under specific ISO values from which the profile was generated from, as well as similar dynamic range present in the image. Overall, it is possible to get better results in post in terms of noise reduction across the board, but it requires processes that cannot be automated in-camera as it requires the human thought process.

As the noise reduction is now, it is more of a matter of taste, and I wish they offered control over the intensity of the noise reduction like how DSLRs allow it (for the 10 or so people on earth still shooting in jpeg on a DSLR instead of raw). For example, at high ISO, noise reduction can cause you to lose some wanted detail in the image, but many people are accepting of higher levels of luminance noise, thus based on the user's taste, they should allow users to control the level of color noise reduction and luminance noise reduction.

ive thought of it but due to other reasons decided against it, though i do regularly back up important stuff

• saeedtedsaeedted DallasPosts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hussainov said:
    Any news on this matter? The camera is the only thing I really don't like on the Axon 7 and this will definitely fix it. Still hopeful ={

@hussainov no news on the Camera2 API. Since the A7 just got an update it will probably be quite some time before the next update. They sure won't do an update just for the Camera2 API.

We can only hope the MiFavor team adds Camera2 API for the Oreo update (I am confident there will be an Oreo update for the Axon 7.

@cacarr said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@cacarr said:
    The camera is perhaps the Axon 7's worst feature, so I really don't understand their reluctance to take a step in adopting Camera2 API that is very likely to improve the situation.

It would improve it dramatically because we could then use the Google camera app with HDR +. There have been several different phones that were compared with the stock camera app and the Google camera app and the difference is remarkable.

Why haven't they done this? Are there technical or cost issues I'm not aware of?

There are no difficulties in giving access to an API. So I have no idea why the MiFavor team are dragging their feet on this. OEMs are weird about their software for their camera. Sony is even worse with access to their camera.

@saeedted said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hussainov said:
    Any news on this matter? The camera is the only thing I really don't like on the Axon 7 and this will definitely fix it. Still hopeful ={

@hussainov no news on the Camera2 API. Since the A7 just got an update it will probably be quite some time before the next update. They sure won't do an update just for the Camera2 API.

We can only hope the MiFavor team adds Camera2 API for the Oreo update (I am confident there will be an Oreo update for the Axon 7.

I don't share your confidence with respect to getting Oreo. The update that we just got to B32 was 5 months in the making. That was plenty of time to add the Camera2 API. There has been a thread about that for awhile. So if ZTE is really listening and monitoring the forum there was ample time to incorporate it into B32.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@saeedted said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hussainov said:

I don't share your confidence with respect to getting Oreo. The update that we just got to B32 was 5 months in the making. That was plenty of time to add the Camera2 API. There has been a thread about that for awhile. So if ZTE is really listening and monitoring the forum there was ample time to incorporate it into B32.

5 months! Yeah, I understand your doubt for Camera2 API in Oreo update. I am just confident there will be an Oreo update, not soon, but it's coming.

• ryampolskyryampolsky Posts: 161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

I wonder if anybody here has any idea why ZTE left this out. Like other stock Android features, it's mystifying why they would go to any effort to delete it. And they seem to have picked up on that complaint - having enabled multi-user mode and enhanced their shortcut tiles in B32. But I suspect that the ZTE camera app (and/or camera hardware?) counts on Camera2 not being there - or conversely, counts on some older camera API that's incompatible with Camera2. It'd be nice to know, I guess. And if we ever get Oreo, and they resolve whatever issues are involved on whatever phone debuts with Oreo, maybe they can backport the fix to the A7. This device is still only about 1 year old. We ought to be getting at least 2 years worth of software upgrades - we got a 2 year hardware warranty after all...

I wonder if the camera simply does not support camera2. or if it is extremely difficult to get it to

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure why ZTE has chosen not to include it. The camera does support it, as I have seen proof of it with someone who is on LOS with the Axon 7. I will also divulge that it makes quite a difference. Adding this feature to the A7 is ridiculously easy by the way, so there really is no excuse to not have it. Most of you know I'm a ZTE fanboy, but this is one thing they need to fix.

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 346 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

ZTE's silence with regards to this issue speaks for itself IMO.

@zte_usa would someone please explain why the A7 doesn't get the Camera2 API update.

• louisdlouisd Ashburn, VAPosts: 965 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@hollap said:
    Not sure why ZTE has chosen not to include it. The camera does support it, as I have seen proof of it with someone who is on LOS with the Axon 7. I will also divulge that it makes quite a difference. Adding this feature to the A7 is ridiculously easy by the way, so there really is no excuse to not have it. Most of you know I'm a ZTE fanboy, but this is one thing they need to fix.

Wait, I don't think that's right. LOS uses the ZTE Camerablob and doesn't add C2 API, unless it's different on my phone than any others.

@louisd said:

@hollap said:

Wait, I don't think that's right. LOS uses the ZTE Camerablob and doesn't add C2 API, unless it's different on my phone than any others.

The information is correct. You need to mod LOS to do it, but I have seen the results first hand.

edited September 13, 2017 12:01PM

@louisd said:

@hollap said:

I agree @louisd. I have one A7 on Lineage and the Google camera app with HDR + does not work on it. Unless the Camera2 API was included in this week's Monday update which I haven't installed yet.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@louisd said:

@hollap said:

I agree @louisd. I have one A7 on Lineage and the Google camera app with HDR + does not work on it. Unless the Camera2 API was included in this week's Monday update which I haven't installed yet.

See my response above :)

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@louisd said:

@hollap said:

@hollap please explain.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@louisd said:

@hollap said:

@hollap please explain.

All I'm saying is I have seen an Axon 7 running LOS using the Google camera app. Because you can mod a file in LOS since you have root in order to get camera2.api to work.

edited September 13, 2017 1:00PM

[moderated by user]

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@louisd said:

@hollap said:

@hollap please explain.

All I'm saying is I have seen an Axon 7 running LOS using the Google camera app. Because you can mod a file in LOS since you have root in order to get camera2.api to work.

I get it now @hollap. My A7 is not rooted just unlocked running Lineage. I wonder why XDA doesn't just include the Camera2 API in an update?

@louisd said:

@hollap said:

All I can say, is I'm all over XDA and have not one single mention of this working succesfully. You'd think this would be a pretty big deal. Any additional reference you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Can't give away my sources. Sorry guys. But I will say I was surprised at just how easy it was.

@hollap said:
    Can't give away my sources. Sorry guys. But I will say I was surprised at just how easy it was.

OK well then, I'm not sharing my source for the mod that allows the A7 to turn $1 bills in to $100 bills. I've seen it with my own eyes and you wouldn't believe how easy it was. (sorry gotta go now, the private jet awaits, man this mod is great!)

@hollap said:

@louisd said:

@hollap said:

All I can say, is I'm all over XDA and have not one single mention of this working succesfully. You'd think this would be a pretty big deal. Any additional reference you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

@hollap bait and switch? JK. I wouldn't expect you to reveal a source. I'll just send my phone to you for the update. :D

@benkores can you add anything about the Camera2 API for the A7 on Lineage?

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Los Angeles, CA Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone using LineageOS with Root, send me a PM to find out if Camera2 API works or not....

but you MUST HAVE ROOT.

@DrakenFX said:
    Anyone using LineageOS with Root, send me a PM to find out if Camera2 API works or not....

but you MUST HAVE ROOT.

heh heh heh. >:) @DrakenFX the evil genius!

@DrakenFX said:

but you MUST HAVE ROOT.

@DrakenFX why is root necessary? Why can't XDA just include the Camera2 API in an update for anyone running Lineage? Also why can't ZTE do the same with an update?

• hussainovhussainov Posts: 7 ✭✭✭
    edited September 14, 2017 3:24AM

Maybe ZTE wants to include camera2 API on their new Axon device to show the world how their camera improved significantly from the Axon 7. lol.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Los Angeles, CA Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:.
    @DrakenFX why is root necessary?

Because is need for this Mod.

Why can't XDA just include the Camera2 API in an update for anyone running Lineage?

I'm not LOS Developer, you should go there and ask them

Also why can't ZTE do the same with an update?

ZTE doesn't have to jump ropes as 3rd. Part devs, so I don't know.