Will you buy another ZTE phone?

stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 29, 2017 8:54AM in Axon (A1P & Axon 7/Mini)

Will you buy another ZTE phone? 65 votes

Yes
73%
coldheat06frodriguez2010festuskenbr1960samsamhachuckbortdnewman007fzrrichhollapmusicdjmbusymanjabird101swehessgarrandbjhiltbrandjasonscarterDrakenFXgryphticonrick50wileyworld 48 votes
No
26%
romeoram1220wasabitdiggregkidnovaooklathemoknaterz1123@gmail.comkevinmcmurtrietomrcyrusstevec5375hussainovshadowsportseasedelcompmanio36sigma00015kedlund 17 votes

Comments

• ralishazralishaz Rolla MOPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@stevec5375 said:

Couldn't vote because my response would be maybe. I know that you have had bad luck @stevec5375 but I would consider getting another ZTE phone but only at the flagship level and I don't know if they are going to produce another flagship level phone.

I agree. I'm at a maybe as well depending on what their next flagship release is, if there is one. I have enjoyed my Axon 7 and my wife liked the Axon 7 Mini, but the Mini didn't meet her needs as she uses her phone as her main device throughout the day. I ended up getting her an HTC U11 and that is better phone for her use case. Now my daughter gets to use the Mini for a few limited functions.

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 10:22AM
    No

As of today, my answer would be no. Lack of ongoing support for their "flagship" device has not inspired confidence in me. I reserve the right to change this opinion if they up their game with respect to updates and support.

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 11:40AM

My response would be maybe. Depends on how well ZTE will continue to support the Axon 7 (updates) and if ZTE listens to our feedback for the Axon 8 which includes no MiFavor, unlockable bootloader OUT OF THE BOX without voiding the warranty, better cameras, uncompromised reception etc.

I would also like for ZTE to better support the developer community like OnePlus and release device trees and WORKING kernel sources like them.

• ooklathemokooklathemok Posts: 282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Other than price, I'm really not seeing what area the A7 delivers a better experience than the top phones. Maybe the speakers? But that's not something important to my usage. The weak cell signal and vibration motor are pushing me out the door.

I think I'll probably bite the bullet and get one of the new Pixels (fast updates) - or maybe HTC (good camera) or Samsung's (good screen) next Android O phone.

• kedlundkedlund United States of AmericaPosts: 20 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

My first impression with ZTE, was buying the Axon Pro. It was a great phone with fantastic features.
    But unfortunately ZTE as well as most Chinese companies really doesn't care about their customers, and don't give customers timely updates.
    The Axon Pro didn't even get a years worth of updates!
    From what I've read since day one of the Axon 7, it has/had many, many bugs and now less than a year after it was first on sale, it's out of stock! No mention of it's successor!
    If you want crappy, cheap, small features phones, they still make those. But no updates.

• bradleybrenta@gmail.com[email protected] DeRidder, LAPosts: 8 ✭✭✭✭✭

i will have to hold off on answering but until the Axon Pro model A1P has an unlocked bootloader the answer will be no... and i really do like the phone but no twrp no root no costimization makes it depressing cuss the hardware specs are pretty bad ****

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@jimlloyd40 said:

@[email protected].com said:
    i will have to hold off on answering but until the Axon Pro model A1P has an unlocked bootloader the answer will be no... and i really do like the phone but no twrp no root no costimization makes it depressing cuss the hardware specs are pretty bad ****

That phone is over 2 years old and when it came out it had great hardware specs. More than unfair to compare hardware specs of a 2 year old phone to today's phones. The hardware and processor that are the best now weren't invented when that phone came out.

I think he was complimenting the hardware specs, but I could be wrong.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No

I voted NO because I bought the Premium version of the Axon 7 in December 2016. The following are still issues for me:

1. Android Pay does not work and has been confirmed by ZTE as a software bug.
    2. Bluetooth metadata does not display on my 2016 Honda CR-V's head unit.
    3. The HotSpot created by the phone allows me to connect but I can't access the internet.
    4. Many UI irregularities.

These are some of the issues I'm still facing on a $541 phone. It would be worth it to me to pay more for a different brand which does not have major functionality that is flawed.

• kedlundkedlund United States of AmericaPosts: 20 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@jimlloyd40 said:

Xioami is great with updates and Huawei isn't bad either so it's not all Chinese companies.

From what I've seen, both of those companies do NOT sell in the US, so they are worthless to me.

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 1:53PM
    Yes

@kidnova said:
    As of today, my answer would be no. Lack of ongoing support for their "flagship" device has not inspired confidence in me. I reserve the right to change this opinion if they up their game with respect to updates and support.

I mean, did you expect Pixel-like updates? I have a feeling you're talking about security patches, but there are only four brands that actually do them consistently, and they cost quite a bit more than the Axon 7. I for one am very pleased by the support the phone got; through updates they fixed basically everything wrong with MiFavor IMO. As long as it gets Android Oreo, I'm a happy camper.

Yes

@jimlloyd40 said:

@busyman said:

@kidnova said:

I mean, did you expect Pixel-like updates? I have a feeling you're talking about security patches, but there are only four brands that actually do them consistently, and they cost quite a bit more than the Axon 7. I for one am very pleased at the support the phone got; through updates they fixed basically everything wrong with MiFavor IMO. As long as it gets Android Oreo, I'm a happy camper.

I agree with you about the updates except for the security patches. There's no excuse to be 6 months behind. And if the Axon 7 is going to be neglected like that I certainly wouldn't count on Oreo.

True, but I have a feeling they're going for quarterly updates from here on out. I mean, my friend has an HTC 10 and it's still stuck on the January 1st patch. Besides, someone inside ZTE's beta program leaked a pic with August 1st security patch, so they definitely haven't forgotten about the device yet. If the update doesn't come by August 31st, it'll come in September with September's patch.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No

I live in Austin, TX. On the day Hurricane Harvey hit, my internet access via cable modem went out after a power failure at 4:00AM. I have a very small part time job that REQUIRES me to access the internet on a daily basis. This is when I discovered that my Axon 7 Premium's HotSpot functionality is broken. I can connect to the phone but can't get on the internet. Others are having the problem but not a word out of ZTE about it on this forum. Lucky for me my cable modem came back up before the day was over or I would have lost income. It became clear to me that my ZTE is not something I can rely on when I need it most.

Yes

@stevec5375 said:
    I live in Austin, TX. On the day Hurricane Harvey hit, my internet access via cable modem went out after a power failure at 4:00AM. I have a very small part time job that REQUIRES me to access the internet on a daily basis. This is when I discovered that my Axon 7 Premium's HotSpot functionality is broken. I can connect to the phone but can't get on the internet. Others are having the problem but not a word out of ZTE about it on this forum. Lucky for me my cable modem came back up before the day was over or I would have lost income. It became clear to me that my ZTE is not something I can rely on when I need it most.

Sorry to hear about that, but I'm glad you're safe. I frequently hotspot to give data to both my laptop and to friends when out and it's never failed me yet. I think the main issue with the Axon 7 is that problems are very inconsistent, in the sense that some people have problems in certain areas, but not everyone, which makes me wonder whether it's because of a hardware or software defect.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 454 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Absolutely not!

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Voted Yes but it's only if they release Android O for the Axon 7 and resolve the software problems.

Yes

@jimlloyd40 said:

@busyman said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@busyman said:

@kidnova said:

I mean, did you expect Pixel-like updates? I have a feeling you're talking about security patches, but there are only four brands that actually do them consistently, and they cost quite a bit more than the Axon 7. I for one am very pleased at the support the phone got; through updates they fixed basically everything wrong with MiFavor IMO. As long as it gets Android Oreo, I'm a happy camper.

I agree with you about the updates except for the security patches. There's no excuse to be 6 months behind. And if the Axon 7 is going to be neglected like that I certainly wouldn't count on Oreo.

True, but I have a feeling they're going for quarterly updates from here on out. I mean, my friend has an HTC 10 and it's still stuck on the January 1st patch. Besides, someone inside ZTE's beta program leaked a pic with August 1st security patch, so they definitely haven't forgotten about the device yet. If the update doesn't come by August 31st, it'll come in September with September's patch.

Well unless a quarter is now 6 months I think that they're behind.

The last update we got was early May IIRC, but admittedly we got an old patch even then. Whatever, the Axon 7 is still safer than any Android device Blackberry released (aside from Keyone), and we're still on 7.1.1 which not even the Galaxy S8 or G6 have yet.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2017 9:03PM
    Yes

Well unless a quarter is now 6 months I think that they're behind.

The last update we got was early May IIRC, but admittedly we got an old patch even then. Whatever, the Axon 7 is still safer than any Android device Blackberry released (aside from Keyone), and we're still on 7.1.1 which not even the Galaxy S8 or G6 have yet.

Tomorrow will be officially 4 months since the last update, thats not terrible in my eyes. Would I like to see them faster absolutely who wouldnt but thats alot better than most OEMs and most devices about 85% of devices arent even on nougat yet as @busyman said
    https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/22027