Will you buy another ZTE phone?

Comments

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No

No chance. Too many software promises were late or a lie. Cell reception is poor and unreliable. Major bugs are left unfixed for months. There have been no recent security patches.

I get the impression that ZTE has nothing but one engineer and one part-time product manager on their flagship phone, and most of that time is wasted on MiFavor. Just open source the whole thing so somebody can work on it. It's not like there's any valuable proprietary software on this phone.

• redbirdredbird MichianaPosts: 48 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd have to say may be.
    I'm still pleased with mine and haven't had some of the issues others have mentioned. I originally planned to keep this for a couple of years and hoped it would be fully supported for that long. If it starts to look like it won't be fully supported with at least a minimum of security updates I'll probably try to sell this while it's still worth something and move to a manufacturer that offers better after the sale support.

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@busyman said:

@kidnova said:
    As of today, my answer would be no. Lack of ongoing support for their "flagship" device has not inspired confidence in me. I reserve the right to change this opinion if they up their game with respect to updates and support.

I mean, did you expect Pixel-like updates? I have a feeling you're talking about security patches, but there are only four brands that actually do them consistently, and they cost quite a bit more than the Axon 7. I for one am very pleased by the support the phone got; through updates they fixed basically everything wrong with MiFavor IMO. As long as it gets Android Oreo, I'm a happy camper.

Pixel-like? No, I'm not expecting that, but I am expecting support and updates comparable to other flagship devices. The A7 is barely a year old and it hasn't seen any update whatsoever in 4 months, and the current security patch is 6 months behind. If what you've seen in support for the A7 meets your expectations for a flagship device then fine, but it has been disappointing to me.

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

@kidnova said:

@busyman said:

@kidnova said:
    As of today, my answer would be no. Lack of ongoing support for their "flagship" device has not inspired confidence in me. I reserve the right to change this opinion if they up their game with respect to updates and support.

I mean, did you expect Pixel-like updates? I have a feeling you're talking about security patches, but there are only four brands that actually do them consistently, and they cost quite a bit more than the Axon 7. I for one am very pleased by the support the phone got; through updates they fixed basically everything wrong with MiFavor IMO. As long as it gets Android Oreo, I'm a happy camper.

Pixel-like? No, I'm not expecting that, but I am expecting support and updates comparable to other flagship devices. The A7 is barely a year old and it hasn't seen any update whatsoever in 4 months, and the current security patch is 6 months behind. If what you've seen in support for the A7 meets your expectations for a flagship device then fine, but it has been disappointing to me.

I mean, don't expect flagship-like support if you aren't willing to pay flagship-like prices. There's a reason you pay more, and it isn't because of greater hardware.

• sigma00015sigma00015 Somerville, AlabamaPosts: 10 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 30, 2017 6:48PM
    No

No for me too unless they can get their act together and drop the MiFavor UI in favor of closer to a skin closer to google's. The software is a miserable kludge, they have been extremely slow in patching faults and keeping up with the security patches. Worse, for the most part they have been radio silent on the status of upcoming patches, announcing a patch only when its within hours of release.

They need to publish a update roadmap for their devices (Timeline on updates, beta status (including any release-stalling bugs), EOL date for a device, and open their beta program up wider, and release the source code of every public release.

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

@sigma00015 said:
    No for me too unless they can get their act together and drop the MiFavor UI in favor of closer to a skin closer to google's. The software is a miserable kludge, they have been extremely slow in patching faults and keeping up with the security patches. Worse, for the most part they have been radio silent on the status of upcoming patches, announcing a patch only when its within hours of release.

They need to publish a update roadmap for their devices (Timeline on updates, beta status (including any release-stalling bugs), EOL date for a device, and open their beta program up wider, and release the source code of every public release.

What manufacturer announces updates in advance? Aside from HTC (update to get BT 5 and 1080p @ 60fps) or next Android versions, no one does that lol.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,376 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 9:08AM
    Yes

@jimlloyd40 said:

What manufacturer announces updates in advance? Aside from HTC (update to get BT 5 and 1080p @ 60fps) or next Android versions, no one does that lol.

I agree that for the most part you don't hear about updates in advance but I have read on sites like Android Central that such and such company will be rolling out an update starting.......

That's because there are always A-hole testers that leak stuff before they should. Or they use a benchmarking testing app and post their results online. Idiots. There are a few carriers who post timelines I believe though.

• samwichsesamwichse Posts: 47 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't vote because the jury is still out.

If we don't even get Android O, then no.
    If we get two full years of OS updates + a bootloader unlock at the end, then maybe.
    If we get three+ years of OS updates, then absolutely.

OS updates = return sales is the only way to make yourself heard on sunsetting perfectly good hardware because people will just buy a new one from you.

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I'm a fanboy so I say yes. Lol!

• kidnovakidnova Posts: 435 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@busyman said:

I mean, don't expect flagship-like support if you aren't willing to pay flagship-like prices. There's a reason you pay more, and it isn't because of greater hardware.

And that's why I'm not going to buy another ZTE phone. I was under the impression they were marketing a flagship device at a reasonable price. I've been proven wrong and will be moving on. No hard feelings from me. They are a low to mid-range company and that's fine for them.

• kitcostantinokitcostantino SC, USPosts: 15 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 31, 2017 8:44PM
    Yes

@jimlloyd40 said:

@musicdjm said:

I mean, did you expect Pixel-like updates? I have a feeling you're talking about security patches, but there are only four brands that actually do them consistently, and they cost quite a bit more than the Axon 7. I for one am very pleased at the support the phone got; through updates they fixed basically everything wrong with MiFavor IMO. As long as it gets Android Oreo, I'm a happy camper.

I agree with you about the updates except for the security patches. There's no excuse to be 6 months behind. And if the Axon 7 is going to be neglected like that I certainly wouldn't count on Oreo.

True, but I have a feeling they're going for quarterly updates from here on out. I mean, my friend has an HTC 10 and it's still stuck on the January 1st patch. Besides, someone inside ZTE's beta program leaked a pic with August 1st security patch, so they definitely haven't forgotten about the device yet. If the update doesn't come by August 31st, it'll come in September with September's patch.

Well unless a quarter is now 6 months I think that they're behind.

The last update we got was early May IIRC, but admittedly we got an old patch even then. Whatever, the Axon 7 is still safer than any Android device Blackberry released (aside from Keyone), and we're still on 7.1.1 which not even the Galaxy S8 or G6 have yet.

Tomorrow will be officially 4 months since the last update, thats not terrible in my eyes. Would I like to see them faster absolutely who wouldnt but thats alot better than most OEMs and most devices about 85% of devices arent even on nougat yet as @busyman said
    https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/22027

ZTE needs to keep up with the security patches better than they have been. Six months behind isn't acceptable to me. I don't care so much about the version of Android as I do the security patches. It's a big part of the reason that I'll consider the Pixel XL 2 regardless of cost.

ZTE is on par with most OEMs as far as updates go. Sammy is faster with patches, but what is actually being gained? . I owned primarily Motorola devices prior to my axon 7 and honestly, while i can agree updates should occur at least bi-annually at a minimum, i feel Zte is not doing badly. especially on a $400 device.

Add to that the fact that any user is permitted to bootloader unlock and run custom (more recent, updated, newest security patches, etc) firmware, and its a win. Yes, the latest security patches are good to have, but most of them change zero of your experience and/or actual security. unless you are prone to lose your phone, or leave it unsecured physically, install sketch apps, or download pirated software to your device. the liklihood is slim anything happen for the worse bc of your security patch.

just my .02. security updates are good, but if you are going to run stock, you take what you can get when you can get it . patches are mostly smoke and mirrors, (look at us were on the Sept security patch, etc) occasionally, there is a vuln that actually affects many users. those are the ones every OEM races to fix immediately.

If its that important to you, perhaps you should bootloader unlock and run Res Remix oe any other ROM that has the latest security patches. OR buy a new phone every year. then at least, it doesnt sound like [Even though i only paid $400 for this, why am i not getting updates as frequently as the $1000 phone that came out at the same time.]

if you want stock software to constantly have updates, things have to be taken into consideration. First and foremost, the advantage of constant updates when the cost of even a tiny update is huge, so you have to consider software engineers, distribution, and the bottom line's translation to the end-user's cost.

Would you buy the Axon 7 again, but this time for $650 if ZTE had done updates every month?

I am merely trying to point out a seldom considered POV. Zte is a business, they love what they do, but at the end of the day, you have to choose the depth and expense of what you can do while remaining fiscally viable. i promise for double the cost, you can have an updated security patch once a month, but that is completely unecessary and the smoke and mirrors i alluded to.

I like stock MiFavor, but it pales in comparison to Res Remix. i cannot imagine clinging to stock and remaining powerless to my user experience. (and security patches) or taking issue with stock. Stock is a love it or leave it thing. This hardware is amazing.

• randolphmcafeerandolphmcafee Posts: 21 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2017 2:43PM
    Yes

I want:

Snapdragon 835, 6GB
    128 GB storage
    At least 5.5 inch screen
    MicroSD (preferred but necessary with 64GB)
    3.5mm headphone jack
    4000 mAh battery
    Minimal software (I prefer Nova)
    Frequent updates
    USB-C charging
    Must support T-Mobile (B2, B4, B20 and preferably their new 600Mhz band)

I don't want
    edge to edge display (I need a thick case that covers the front edge, like Spigen, since I drop it occasionally)

I don't care about
    Great speakers, VR, high PPI display (1080p good enough for me), gaming prowess

I would also like e-ink on the back for Kindle reading and boarding passes, but it has to be better than a Yota phone so I am not holding my breath.

The Axon 7 has been a great phone for me. I occasionally get the half-screen white noise problem but restarting it fixes it for me. I was thinking about buying a Mate 9 a while back for the larger screen, but realized that I am happy with the A7. If it broke, I might even buy another one now.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,577 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

My answer to the survey is yes, I would buy another ZTE phone. I wish they would introduce the new A8.

• Yes
    If their next device brings improved cameras don't you dare give us mono speaker with besel less screen.bezeled screen with dual FF speakers needs to be mantained. Updates to os cpu ram and cameras and improved security update schedule is important waiting 6 months on a update almost caused me to buy a s8 plus two months ago...

• ggregggreg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

For a mobile device staying connected to the mobile network is essential, and the quality of both the hardware and the firmware to provide this functionality is one of the critical core capabilities of any smartphone. Axon 7 fails in this regard to a degree that is truly embarrassing. In weak signal environment the Axon 7 proves completely inadequate, and is bested in reception performance by much cheaper phones. I will not be looking at any ZTE products when upgrade times comes around.

• notamoosennotamoosen Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would definitely consider buying another one. The axon 7 has become one of my all time favorite devices. The price performance ratio is excellent. My biggest concern now is that the Axon 7 is no longer manufactured, and a successor hasn't been announced in any fashion. If something were to break on my phone and I couldn't get a timely replacement, I'd pretty much have no choice but to look at other manufacturers.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,577 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

@jimlloyd40 said:

@notamoosen said:
    I would definitely consider buying another one. The axon 7 has become one of my all time favorite devices. The price performance ratio is excellent. My biggest concern now is that the Axon 7 is no longer manufactured, and a successor hasn't been announced in any fashion. If something were to break on my phone and I couldn't get a timely replacement, I'd pretty much have no choice but to look at other manufacturers.

I don't know about a timely replacement but your A7 is still under warranty so you can get it repaired if it was to malfunction.
    I read all the time that people can't be without a phone if they have to return theirs for repair and everyone should consider keeping a spare phone if they can afford to keep a spare.

@jimlloyd40 that is good advice.

• notamoosennotamoosen Posts: 72 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@notamoosen said:

I don't know about a timely replacement but your A7 is still under warranty so you can get it repaired if it was to malfunction.
    I read all the time that people can't be without a phone if they have to return theirs for repair and everyone should consider keeping a spare phone if they can afford to keep a spare.

I certainly agree. I was referring mostly to the issues some have had with the advanced exchange program. That being said, I've held onto my trusty old Nexus 5 should just such a case occur.

• ooklathemokooklathemok Posts: 282 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

The cell signal strength is beyond frustrating. I have season tickets to the Detroit Lions. Everyone around me in the stadium is texting and looking things up on their phones or doing whatever and I can't do anything. I can't receive/send texts or calls or Twitter or Face Book or anything. And the stadium is two hours away from my house. If my family had an emergency, I wouldn't know about it until after the game and then I'm still two hours away... the distance isn't ZTE's fault, but the lack of connection is. It would be nice to enjoy the game without having to worry about being unreachable if there were an emergency, so I could leave right away. Then there's also my problem of even if a signal did get through, I'd never feel my phone go off in my pocket because of the weak vibration motor. I've got a game to go to this Sunday. If the situation hasn't improved, I think on Monday I'll be deciding between the Galaxy S8 Plus or the HTC U11.... I don't think I can wait for the next Pixel.

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I would purchase another ZTE phone. I have for the most part been very happy with my A7. There have been a few issues along the way but overall I personally feel that ZTE has done a nice job with their first flagship device. If they continue to learn from this experience and bring us a true successor phone then I will be more than willing to give it a shot. Honestly, this is probably my second favorite phone that I have owned behind my HTC M7.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@chuckbort said:
    I would purchase another ZTE phone. I have for the most part been very happy with my A7. There have been a few issues along the way but overall I personally feel that ZTE has done a nice job with their first flagship device. If they continue to learn from this experience and bring us a true successor phone then I will be more than willing to give it a shot. Honestly, this is probably my second favorite phone that I have owned behind my HTC M7.

I actually prefer my old M7 over the A7. I've had way too many problems with the A7. I do have the purple tint in pictures on my M7 unless I use the flash. The M7 is a great phone. And I never experienced reception issues on my M7 either. Some people here always blame the metal phone for the bad reception on the A7. But the M7 is metal and does not suffer from the reception issues the A7 does.

• chuckbortchuckbort Chuck United StatesPosts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

HTC actually fixed my purple camera tint issue after my warranty expired. I haven't had reception issues with my A7 so that helps.

@ram1220 said:

@chuckbort said:

I actually prefer my old M7 over the A7. I've had way too many problems with the A7. I do have the purple tint in pictures on my M7 unless I use the flash. The M7 is a great phone. And I never experienced reception issues on my M7 either. Some people here always blame the metal phone for the bad reception on the A7. But the M7 is metal and does not suffer from the reception issues the A7 does.

• compmanio36compmanio36 Posts: 27 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Nope. Even after a factory reset on B32, I'm having never ending bugs and horrible kernel battery drain. The hardware is nice (although nonlit capacitive keys is still my biggest pet peeve of the A7), but it's clear ZTE just doesn't have the ability to code software that just works properly and to "fix" this with Lineage I'd have to void the warranty.

Nice attempt, ZTE, but it's clear that you just don't quite have it together enough to be a major contender. And the competition in this midrange market is too fierce to settle just because it's $400. Thinking about switching to the OP3T and selling this thing. Strongly thinking.

• easedeleasedel Posts: 75 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2017 5:14AM
    No

No.
    I see phones that came out the same time, ( Huawei's honor 6x ) & even after the Blade v8 Pro, have N already, even some being announced to get Oreo. Since the blade v8 pro came out its been a complete mystery for an official response about Nougat. Yet lesser ZTE phones have released with N.

Its Sept 17 and the Blade v8 Pro is still on Jan 2017 security update with Marshmallow.

Ill be moving on to Huawei next year.

• wileyworldwileyworld Posts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2017 11:54AM
    Yes

Yes
    I bought this on the first day a best buy in a nearby city showed it in inventory. The only flaws I've had is a few white pixels in certain display images (which I posted & discussed on this site last Sept), which has proved trivial; and focus issues with the camera (far more disturbing to me).
    That said, my daily driving pattern is a great test of phone & data reception, and this phone performs very well, compared to many phones in the past.

If it continues to be supported with os & security updates for the next couple years, I will be back for more.

PS I Love the Mi favor on-screen back arrow, which I place in my preferred natural thumb tap location along left edge- it's a perfect feature for larger screens, and works in other Launchers (Google now, Action).