** SOFTWARE UPDATE: Axon 7 A2017U now on B32 **

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD USA Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@busyman said:
    Hate to bump an old thread, but I need to voice my opinion on this update; the battery life tanked hard. It has come to a point where I can barely scrape by a day, and it's getting frustrating.

Battery life is great on mine. I use it almost every day as a daily driver right now.
    Based on that, I would tend to think it's something else using up too much cpu, or maybe the radio is constantly trying to find a signal sometimes, maybe try clearing the app cache and the cache partition, or for something extreme try resetting it back to factory default and set up as new device.

• maverickmaverick NJPosts: 316 ✭✭✭✭✭

noticing a bit of lag on th ephone and battery draining a bit more than usual. cant seem to figure out why though. used GSAM but still dont know. Will be uninstalling things. Also, anyone having an issue with the most recent swiftkey update? Seems to skip around when swiping instead of just swiping. Oh and when i say lagging, i'll open an app and actually wait seconds or hit home button and wait... not sure why.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@maverick said:
    noticing a bit of lag on th ephone and battery draining a bit more than usual. cant seem to figure out why though. used GSAM but still dont know. Will be uninstalling things. Also, anyone having an issue with the most recent swiftkey update? Seems to skip around when swiping instead of just swiping. Oh and when i say lagging, i'll open an app and actually wait seconds or hit home button and wait... not sure why.

@maverick said:

@maverick clear the cache in the main storage settings to potentially help with the lag. I use SwiftKey and don't have any problems with it.

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@maverick said:

What version of Google Play Services are you on? I had the worst battery drain from Play Services due to the net scheduler wake lock but since updating Play Services my phone is back to normal. I uninstalled alomost all my apps and it didn't help. Updating Play Services and other Google apps is what helped. I should mention that I'm running the beta version of Play Services, Gboard and the Google app. Gboard is still messed up using the net scheduler wake lock. I've switched to Chrooma keyboard until Google sorts things out with Gboard.

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭

@busyman said:
    Hate to bump an old thread, but I need to voice my opinion on this update; the battery life tanked hard. It has come to a point where I can barely scrape by a day, and it's getting frustrating.

I had this too, but only for a couple of weeks recently. The battery was draining about 2 to 3 times faster than normal under all conditions yet the phone wasn't getting hot enough to be using that much power. I was going to send the phone in for repairs but it fixed itself. I don't know what the issue was. It seems unlikely that a battery would fail then fix itself so I wonder if there's a bug charging it.

edited December 3, 2017 2:20AM

@kevinmcmurtrie said:

@busyman said:

I had this too, but only for a couple of weeks recently. The battery was draining about 2 to 3 times faster than normal under all conditions yet the phone wasn't getting hot enough to be using that much power. I was going to send the phone in for repairs but it fixed itself. I don't know what the issue was. It seems unlikely that a battery would fail then fix itself so I wonder if there's a bug charging it.

It was something to do with Google Play Services. Or, it was in my case. I had been going through it with my Pixel XL's battery life taking a big hit out of nowhere. Play Services went from using around 3 to 4% of my battery to close to 10% of my battery. I noticed an update to Play Services Beta in the Play Store a couple days ago and ever since that update my Pixel XL is back to normal. I also noticed Google updated several of their other apps. I suspected it had something to do with Play Services or a Google app because when I checked Gsam Battery Monitor I saw that Play Services was using more battery than usual and holding the phone awake, plus Gboard and YouTube were doing the same and it was because of the Play Services net scheduler wake lock. I do need to mention that I am running the beta version of Gboard, Play Services and the Google app but my phone is finally back to normal after around 4 or 5 days of me going insane trying to figure out what had happened to my battery life. I even uninstalled nearly all my apps but the only thing that fixed it was Google fixing their mistake. I have all my apps back on my phone now and I haven't had any abnormal battery drain or wake lock issues yesterday or today. I was really fixing to sell my phone. I was at the end of my rope because I had literally tried everything I could think of to stop the battery drain but nothing was working. I sure hope it's over now and I never have to experience something like that again. Here's a tip, if you haven't installed any new apps lately or none of the apps on your phone have been updated the day the battery drain starts and you haven't changed anything or any settings on your phone and all of a sudden your battery life starts to tank, it's probably something to do with Google Play Services.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@maverick said:

@maverick clear the cache in the main storage settings to potentially help with the lag. I use SwiftKey and don't have any problems with it.

Yeah did that. I uninstalled it entirely and reinstalled. now it only skips around once in a while but still does it. guess Ill clear the cache again too.

@westside80 said:

@maverick said:

What version of Google Play Services are you on? I had the worst battery drain from Play Services due to the net scheduler wake lock but since updating Play Services my phone is back to normal. I uninstalled alomost all my apps and it didn't help. Updating Play Services and other Google apps is what helped. I should mention that I'm running the beta version of Play Services, Gboard and the Google app. Gboard is still messed up using the net scheduler wake lock. I've switched to Chrooma keyboard until Google sorts things out with Gboard.

Google play services is 11.7.46 (440-175121617) and google play services for instant apps (wahtever that is) is 2.4-release-175695148

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 326 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have had poor battery life over the past week or so also. I used to get 2 to 3 days on a charge as I am a light user. I now have to charge the phone up every night. Phone is not hot and I have not updated or installed any new apps in months. What exactly do I need to do with Google Play Services? I haven't updated the program and all of my apps are set for me to update myself. Not automatically.

@ram1220 said:
    I have had poor battery life over the past week or so also. I used to get 2 to 3 days on a charge as I am a light user. I now have to charge the phone up every night. Phone is not hot and I have not updated or installed any new apps in months. What exactly do I need to do with Google Play Services? I haven't updated the program and all of my apps are set for me to update myself. Not automatically.

@ram1220 I'm pretty sure that the problem with Google Play Services is only on the beta version of Oreo. With regards to your problem you already know the normal things to do such as wiping the cache partition in recovery and clear the main storage cache in the storage settings and then reboot. When you go to battery in the settings what does it show has been using your battery? If you don't find any app or apps that's causing the problem and you do the normal fixes above the only thing left is a factory reset.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@ram1220 I'm pretty sure that the problem with Google Play Services is only on the beta version of Oreo. With regards to your problem you already know the normal things to do such as wiping the cache partition in recovery and clear the main storage cache in the storage settings and then reboot. When you go to battery in the settings what does it show has been using your battery? If you don't find any app or apps that's causing the problem and you do the normal fixes above the only thing left is a factory reset.

Yea I've already tried the usual things. My phone says that Google Services is using a huge chunk of battery. Even more than the Android operating system itself.

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

Yea I've already tried the usual things. My phone says that Google Services is using a huge chunk of battery. Even more than the Android operating system itself.

What percentage?

@ram1220 on my phones Google Play Services is using 6 % on one and 7 % on the other one. On both the Android OS is using 4 %.

6% so I guess that might not be too bad. I haven't turned the screen on for more than 15 seconds or so all day. I woke up at 7 am Central time. Battery is down to 65% already. I've been home all day and phone has been on wifi. Great signal so it's not searching. Phone isn't hot. I also have a habit of clearing the apps after I do anything on the phone. Maybe it's just time to start looking at new phones again. Lol. I just thought that what I read above about Google Play might be what my issue is.

edited December 3, 2017 5:32PM

If it comes down to having to RMA it I probably would just buy another phone and keep the A7 as a spare. I don't think it's the battery though since it charges up fully and shows 100% after taking it off the charger. And the phone never gets remotely warm. Like I said it just started doing this about 2 weeks ago.

@ram1220 said:
    6% so I guess that might not be too bad. I haven't turned the screen on for more than 15 seconds or so all day. I woke up at 7 am Central time. Battery is down to 65% already. I've been home all day and phone has been on wifi. Great signal so it's not searching. Phone isn't hot. I also have a habit of clearing the apps after I do anything on the phone. Maybe it's just time to start looking at new phones again. Lol. I just thought that what I read above about Google Play might be what my issue is.

If you're not ready to spend the money on a new phone I would do the factory reset as much of a hassle as that is. Sudden unexplained battery life reduction is happening for a reason.

@ram1220 said:
    If it comes down to having to RMA it I probably would just buy another phone and keep the A7 as a spare. I don't think it's the battery though since it charges up fully and shows 100% after taking it off the charger. And the phone never gets remotely warm. Like I said it just started doing this about 2 weeks ago.

If you decide to do the RMA they will ask you to try the factory reset first to rule out everything before returning it. And after the factory reset you should set it up as a new device so it doesn't just bring back whatever is causing the battery drain from a backup.

@ram1220 said:

Try enrolling in the Google Play Services beta and see if that helps. If you can't find Google Play Services in the Play Store download an app called Play Services Fix and open it and click on "Open in Play Store" and it'll take you to the Google Play Services page. Scroll down to the bottom and enroll in the beta and then just wait for it to enroll you. The update may take a few mintues to show up. Just use the Play Services Fix app to keep going back to the Play Store to see if Google Play Services says it's ready to be updated. I'm on version 11.9.51 of Google Play Services and my battery drain is completely gone. I was having Google Play Services drain my battery too but it's gone now, right after the Play Services update to 11.9.51. Don't forget to the clear the cache from Google Play Services after you install the beta version. If updating Google Play Services doesn't help your battery drain after a day or two then you can always just go back and unenroll from the Play Services beta. It's easy. I would give it a try if I were you.

@ram1220 said:

Like I said earlier If you haven't installed any new apps and none of your apps have been updated since the battery drain started then it's probably something to do with either a Google app or Google Play Services. If some of your apps have recently been updated then you could try uninstalling them one by one and see if the battery drain goes away. My bet is it's something to do with Play Services or one of the Google apps.

google play services is using 8% on mine, android system 11%, android service 10%.... So idont know.

@ram1220 said:

@maverick said:
    google play services is using 8% on mine, android system 11%, android service 10%.... So idont know.

@maverick said:

8% is too much for Google Play Services to be using. It shouldn't use over 5%. Mine only uses around 3%.

@westside80 said:

@ram1220 said:

@maverick said:

@maverick said:

8% is too much for Google Play Services to be using. It shouldn't use over 5%. Mine only uses around 3%.

On both of my phones it's 6% and neither have abnormal battery consumption.
    What all is included in Google Play Services? Since recent updates I noticed that things that I had turned off in the Google app like suggestions etc were turned on after the update. Is stuff like that included in Google Play Services? And if not where do things like that show up in the battery consumption?

So what should i actually do then? force stop the play services and reboot phone?

edited December 3, 2017 10:50PM

@maverick said:
    So what should i actually do then? force stop the play services and reboot phone?

Did you enroll in the Google Play Services beta? If you're on the same version of GPS then force stopping and rebooting won't do much to help you. Try the beta version, then clear the cache of GPS after you have the beta version installed. Then reboot and see how it does for a day or two. See if that helps.

@maverick said:

You can if you want to but the percentage that you said doesn't sound out of line. It all depends on when you check those stats. Maybe Google Play Services had just been running for whatever reason and it's making the percentage higher than it would be over a longer time frame @maverick. I would just monitor it over a couple of days to get a better idea of consumption.

edited December 3, 2017 10:56PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@maverick said:

You can if you want to but the percentage that you said doesn't sound out of line. It all depends on when you check those stats. Maybe Google Play Services had just been running for whatever reason and it's making the percentage higher than it would be over a longer time frame @maverick. I would just monitor it over a couple of days to get a better idea of consumption.

I've never had Google Play Services use over 5% of my battery unless I was having a battery problem with an app or something. 8% is high. Right now GPS is using 1% over 2 days on my Axon 7 on the beta version of GPS. It's not even charted on my 6p and it's at 2% on my Pixel XL. There's no way GPS should be using 8% of battery. Google Play Services (GPS) Just because I'm getting tired of spelling out Google Play Services so much. Lol

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@maverick said:

I've never had Google Play Services use over 5% of my battery unless I was having a battery problem with an app or something. 8% is high. Right now GPS is using 1% over 2 days on my Axon 7 on the beta version of GPS. It's not even charted on my 6p and it's at 2% on my Pixel XL. There's no way GPS should be using 8% of battery. Google Play Services (GPS) Just because I'm getting tired of spelling out Google Play Services so much. Lol

What all is included in the Google Play Services percentage? Play Protect? How about the Google feed or suggestions?

edited December 3, 2017 11:02PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@maverick said:

What all is included in the Google Play Services percentage? Play Protect? How about the Google feed or suggestions?

Just the services that Google Play Services provides. You can see each service in Developer Options under "Running apps". There's usually about 15 or so processes running. It doesn't include anything to with the Google app. The % by Google Play Services only represents what Google Play Services is using.

Those are some of the services that Google Play Services uses. There's 13 services running at the moment on my Axon 7 however there can be more at times.

@westside80 I looked and play services is at 1% but i noticed earlier while viewing facebook or something i dont remember, i saw my phone go from 17% to 16% then almost immediately to 15% then lingered a bit. I guess android is designed so apps run all the time for no reason so its just constantly using power.