** SOFTWARE UPDATE: Axon 7 A2017U now on B32 **

Comments

• maverickmaverick NJPosts: 345 ✭✭✭✭✭

US version bought from zte. I'm not factory resetting this piece of crap again. There's no reason I should have to factory reset it multiple times each year and wipe partition cache every other month...

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 633 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@maverick said:
    US version bought from zte. I'm not factory resetting this piece of crap again. There's no reason I should have to factory reset it multiple times each year and wipe partition cache every other month...

I would RMA it, as it seems to be corrupted software as @DoppelgangerD mentioned. Then you can sale it with a clear conscience and move on with a little money recouped..

@texasmade1 said:

@maverick said:

I would RMA it, as it seems to be corrupted software as @DoppelgangerD mentioned. Then you can sale it with a clear conscience and move on with a little money recouped..

Rma it then sell it? I'll have to get a back up right? Joy....

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,569 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@maverick said:

@texasmade1 said:

@maverick said:

Rma it then sell it? I'll have to get a back up right? Joy....

If you bought it directly from ZTE then it should still be under warranty. They may even do an advanced exchange for you with a temp charge to your CC. Contact support to see if you qualify.

edited December 23, 2017 12:31PM

ok... will do. last time i talked to them about the camera module buzzing around and they said send it in and in a few weeks we'll send it to you fixed unless of course there's moisture inside or something, then we'll have to charge you...

but none of you saw a sliver missing in the battery chart likein my screen shot?

@westside80 said:

@maverick said:
    ok... will do. last time i talked to them about the camera module buzzing around and they said send it in and in a few weeks we'll send it to you fixed unless of course there's moisture inside or something, then we'll have to charge you...

but none of you saw a sliver missing in the battery chart likein my screen shot?

I've never seen anything like that before. That battery chart went nuts.

Maybe we can get @Aerospaceman or someone to check on it? lol

@jimlloyd40 this instance was one time. I was split screen youtube and whatsapp. took a screen shot, and sent it and screen went black I guess from rotating the phone? I dont recall. Either way very odd.
    @westside80 yeah Hopefully Aero will be able to ask his crew about it and see what it is. Never witnessed a segment dip out like that. Was as if something in software took power from the screen. I could still use buttons and feel vibration feedback and was getting notifications but could not get the screen to go on. Merry Xmas to you guys

• NikkeNikke Posts: 1 ✭✭

I'm not in the forums much but does anyone know of these issues were fixed (I don't know if these are unique to me)? After the update from MM to Nougat, I had 2 big problems on my A7:

1. Kills my 128GB SD cards.
    2. Fingerprint reader slow or doesn't work.

For the SD card issue, about a week after updating to Nougat, my phone started freezing when trying to take pics. Once it did that, any attempts to access the SD card cause it to freeze again. I would have to completely reboot to get out working again. Then it'd freeze again. Eventually traced it to the SD card. Odd since it worked for a year with that card on MM. Thinking it may be a bad card, I put in another 128GB card. 3-4 days later, same thing. Can't write or read to card. I can't format the cards on a PC either. Put in a 64GB card and no problems since. Except now I run out of space often.

For the fingerprint reader, at first I thought the phone completely died as I tried to unlock and got black screen, then kept trying. Finally figured out the reader just didn't work and when that occurs, I have to press the power button. On the times of works, it's sometimes horribly slow.

I love my A7. Aside from the non-lit buttons, I can't find another phone that checks all my boxes. But the problems from the last update make me very hesitant to update again. I even kept my wife's A7 on MM so she doesn't get the same problems.

So anyone know if these are unique and/or resolved in B32?

Thanks!

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USAPosts: 7,916 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Nikke said:
    I'm not in the forums much but does anyone know of these issues were fixed (I don't know if these are unique to me)? After the update from MM to Nougat, I had 2 big problems on my A7:

For the SD card issue, about a week after updating to Nougat, my phone started freezing when trying to take pics. Once it did that, any attempts to access the SD card cause it to freeze again. I would have to completely reboot to get out working again. Then it'd freeze again. Eventually traced it to the SD card. Odd since it worked for a year with that card on MM. Thinking it may be a bad card, I put in another 128GB card. 3-4 days later, same thing. Can't write or read to card. I can't format the cards on a PC either. Put in a 64GB card and no problems since. Except now I run out of space often.

For the fingerprint reader, at first I thought the phone completely died as I tried to unlock and got black screen, then kept trying. Finally figured out the reader just didn't work and when that occurs, I have to press the power button. On the times of works, it's sometimes horribly slow.

I love my A7. Aside from the non-lit buttons, I can't find another phone that checks all my boxes. But the problems from the last update make me very hesitant to update again. I even kept my wife's A7 on MM so she doesn't get the same problems.

Thanks!

I also don't have issues with my SD card, but mine is also a 32GB. But it is a Samsung. As far as the FPS, I've never had issues with it being slow or mis-reading my fingers except a LONG time ago back with Marshmallow software. I don't see many issues in the Community having to do with the FPS either.

• pauldowpauldow Posts: 8 ✭✭✭

Is anyone else having CDMA problems? I'm getting No Service / Emergency calls only. I tried factory reset, and made sure my APN is right for Page Plus /Verizon.

I'm trying to go back to B29. I downloaded the file, changed the name to update.zip, but it's stuck at Verifying update package. I left it overnight since it is a 5 GB file.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Paul

• wrbirdwrbird Posts: 152 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@pauldow I had the exact same issue last Saturday. This for sure applies to the B32 file, so I'm not positive about the B29 one, but it sounds like the same issue. For some stupid reason ZTE has you download a 5GB file, to only use a 2GB file that's inside the zip file you downloaded. Once that huge zip file is downloaded, look inside it and you should see a 2+GB file already named update.zip. Extract that file and place it on your SD card. Reboot to recovery screen and repeat the process you did before. You should be good to go. Report back to let us know how it goes.

@westside80 said:

@wrbird said:
    @pauldow I had the exact same issue last Saturday. This for sure applies to the B32 file, so I'm not positive about the B29 one, but it sounds like the same issue. For some stupid reason ZTE has you download a 5GB file, to only use a 2GB file that's inside the zip file you downloaded. Once that huge zip file is downloaded, look inside it and you should see a 2+GB file already named update.zip. Extract that file and place it on your SD card. Reboot to recovery screen and repeat the process you did before. You should be good to go. Report back to let us know how it goes.

And don't forget to go to developer options and check "OEM Unlock." I added that to go with the above instructions. Updating this way will wipe your phone. Just fyi

@westside80 thanks for adding that. That is very important information, I didn't add it because I don't believe that is his problem. If you remember I had two problems. My first error message was "Sorry, can't sdcard upgrade." I believe that error was produced by not having the OEM setting unlocked. So it wasn't even reading the file. Then once I changed that setting it took me to the next step where it locked up on "verifying update package..." I believe it locked up there because I didn't have the right update.zip file. I renamed the zip file that I downloaded to update.zip. That was the WRONG thing to do. As @razor512 enlightened me, I needed to extract the update.zip file from the zip that I downloaded. Once I did that everything worked as it should.

BTW, I contacted ZTE and asked them why we need to download a 5GB file just to extract a 2GB file. That just adds time and confusion to the whole process.

Even though it's already been stated on this forum about no fix for this location fault until the Oreo release, I still asked them directly to when there'll be a fix for this before the Oreo release because of the missing security patches for those who need to downgrade just to have there phone working like it should. They replied back and said they forwarded the email to the appropriate department and I'll hear back from them. So let's see how good their customer support really is.

• razor512razor512 New YorkPosts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2018 4:50PM

The 5GB file was made so that you would have 2 recovery methods. the update.zip file that could work through the recovery menu, and in the case of that failing, you have the option to use the other data to do an EDL recovery. The recovery files are more of a last resort when all standard recovery methods fail.

Though if it were up to me, I would just have the direct update.zip file needed available for download as a direct link on the website, and then the EDL file which is unzipped and then flashed using miflash, as a separate zip file named "extract me to a new folder".

Thanks for the help. That update.zip extraction isn't very clear in the instructions.
    I'm back on B32, but I still don't have phone service. I did the update with no SIM installed. The original update to B35 did have a SIM installed. I took it out when doing the downgrade to B32.
    I started with an inactive GSM SIM, and it said HOME on the top banner. I then turned it off and put in my CDMA SIM, and it came up with the message "A SIM cars is needed to operate this phone. Please turn off your phone and insert your SIM card. It still says Verizon Wireless for about 10 seconds at the top of the screen.
    If I start the phone without a SIM in it, the banner says No SIM card.
    I found a video online where someone took a business card material. Cut it to SIM size, and taped to to the back of the SIM to increase the thickness to create better contact. I haven't tried that yet.

@razor512 said:
    The 5GB file was made so that you would have 2 recovery methods. the update.zip file that could work through the recovery menu, and in the case of that failing, you have the option to use the other data to do an EDL recovery. The recovery files are more of a last resort when all standard recovery methods fail.

Though if it were up to me, I would just have the direct update.zip file needed available for download as a direct link on the website, and then the EDL file which is unzipped and then flashed using miflash, as a separate zip file named "extract me to a new folder".

Thanks for the education @razor512, good info.

@westside80 said:

@wrbird said:

@westside80 said:

@wrbird said:

And don't forget to go to developer options and check "OEM Unlock." I added that to go with the above instructions. Updating this way will wipe your phone. Just fyi

@westside80 thanks for adding that. That is very important information, I didn't add it because I don't believe that is his problem. If you remember I had two problems. My first error message was "Sorry, can't sdcard upgrade." I believe that error was produced by not having the OEM setting unlocked. So it wasn't even reading the file. Then once I changed that setting it took me to the next step where it locked up on "verifying update package..." I believe it locked up there because I didn't have the right update.zip file. I renamed the zip file that I downloaded to update.zip. That was the WRONG thing to do. As @razor512 enlightened me, I needed to extract the update.zip file from the zip that I downloaded. Once I did that everything worked as it should.

BTW, I contacted ZTE and asked them why we need to download a 5GB file just to extract a 2GB file. That just adds time and confusion to the whole process.

Even though it's already been stated on this forum about no fix for this location fault until the Oreo release, I still asked them directly to when there'll be a fix for this before the Oreo release because of the missing security patches for those who need to downgrade just to have there phone working like it should. They replied back and said they forwarded the email to the appropriate department and I'll hear back from them. So let's see how good their customer support really is.

It all goes together though. If you have everything right but don't have OEM Unlock checked, it won't work. That's why I added it. All it takes is one thing being wrong and it won't work. You already know that from what you went through.

@westside80 Agreed! It's definitely a vital step to do!

edited February 11, 2018 11:59AM

Hmmm. It looks like when I put my SIM back in my Galaxy S4, it associated that IMEI with my account. I believe I was grandfathered into using the Axon 7 through Page Plus / Verizon. Now their customer support can't put the Axon 7 IMEI into their system. It says it's an invalid number.

It looks like I'm going to have to move over to a GSM provider.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,569 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:

@Nikke said:

Thanks!

The SD card problem isn't unique to you because lots of people have had issues with SD cards in the A7. Most say they've had the most trouble out of Samsung SD cards. I use a SanDisk 32gb and don't have any problems. Sounds like you've solved your own SD card problem. As far as the fingerprint scanner you could try to remove all your prints and then add them again and see if that helps. The fingerprint scanner on my A7 isn't the most accurate and isn't the fastest but it works most of the time. It's just on the slow side and misreads my print quite often.

I don't know why you have trouble with your FP scanner on your A7, but mine works great. Quick and reliable. Sometimes it fails if I try to tap it quickly with a partial print, but that's the way it should be IMO.
    If you have issues with yours, you may want to clean the scanner with a cotton swab moistened with alcohol, and erase your recorded prints in the phone and redo them. If all else fails, try a factory reset.

One thing to consider is how you record your fingerprints into the software.
    Try pressing your finger on it the same way you would to unlock it.
    Try to not do awkward positions just to get your whole finger print recorded.

@DoppelgangerD said:

@westside80 said:

@Nikke said:

Thanks!

The SD card problem isn't unique to you because lots of people have had issues with SD cards in the A7. Most say they've had the most trouble out of Samsung SD cards. I use a SanDisk 32gb and don't have any problems. Sounds like you've solved your own SD card problem. As far as the fingerprint scanner you could try to remove all your prints and then add them again and see if that helps. The fingerprint scanner on my A7 isn't the most accurate and isn't the fastest but it works most of the time. It's just on the slow side and misreads my print quite often.

I don't know why you have trouble with your FP scanner on your A7, but mine works great. Quick and reliable. Sometimes it fails if I try to tap it quickly with a partial print, but that's the way it should be IMO.
    If you have issues with yours, you may want to clean the scanner with a cotton swab moistened with alcohol, and erase your recorded prints in the phone and redo them. If all else fails, try a factory reset.

One thing to consider is how you record your fingerprints into the software.
    Try pressing your finger on it the same way you would to unlock it.
    Try to not do awkward positions just to get your whole finger print recorded.

I also have excellent success with the FPS. However, as I record my finger print I place it in all kinds of different positions during the recording process. The A7 has been so much better than my Samsung S7. The S7 was so inconsistent that I finally gave up using it.

• razor512razor512 New YorkPosts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I get very good accuracy with my fingerprint scanner, and when I add a fingerprint, my process is to tap it a few times like how I normally would when unlocking, then a few more times, focusing more on the tip of the finger, then the rest on the sides, for each cap I try to change the angle by a small amount.

Whenever you touch a fingerprint scanner, the fingerprint deforms depending on the angle in which you tap the scanner since you will almost never tap it straight on with 100% no sliding, or an attempt to which will be stopped by the friction. Because of this, different angles helps it to record the how it deforms also.

The only thing that can really further improve the accuracy for the Axon 7, would be if ZTE increased the number of times you had to tap the scanner when enrolling a fingerprint.