** SOFTWARE UPDATE: Axon 7 A2017U now on B32 **

Comments

• asianpianomanasianpianoman Posts: 70 ✭✭✭✭✭

@14blank40 said:

Could you check to see if GPS was on for an excessively long during that time? Because I noticed that my GPS at one point wouldn't turn off and only stopped after I restarted it.

If it continues to happen, I will try this. Before, I generally leave my GPS on all of the time though :/

• 14blank4014blank40 CanadaPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@asianpianoman said:

@14blank40 said:

Could you check to see if GPS was on for an excessively long during that time? Because I noticed that my GPS at one point wouldn't turn off and only stopped after I restarted it.

If it continues to happen, I will try this. Before, I generally leave my GPS on all of the time though :/

So do I but there may be apps that are misbehaving

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,795 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@14blank40 said:

@asianpianoman said:

@14blank40 said:

So do I but there may be apps that are misbehaving

What apps do you have that are misbehaving?

• maverickmaverick NJPosts: 537 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2017 9:30AM

Just rebooted without SD card in and i see the blue user icon in the top, not sure why, but first impression is not good. laggy as hell (and i cleared the partition cache) and battery overheating already. lol. hopefully it'll improve and unfortunately i hope i'm not the only one

addition: just noticed the finger print reader doesnt detect finger all the time now. not even a rejection.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kevinmcmurtrie said:
    The radios definitely weren't fixed. WiFi still dies after waking the phone. LTE data still quits working even while on an LTE channel.

I don't know about the wifi but it's easy to see from your screenshot why LTE isn't working. Your signal strength is too weak at - 115.0 dBm.

Uh... in LTE discovery mine is -123.0 dBm. thtas REALLY bad right? sigh

• rasalonrasalon IT Technical Support Team - ALS|Resolvion United StatesPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

It took a while and i wish there was more communication as to this update being in the works so we are not in the dark, but none the less, much appreciated. now I can update Hiya, and i can finally feed my cats in the quick settings area. LOL.

As far as Android 7.1.2, as I understand it, it was just a version for the Pixel phones to fix major bugs. I don't know of any phone (again besides the pixel line that has 7.1.2 installed) Most phones aren't even on 7.0 yet 7.1.1 with updates pending.

As far as 8.0 (Oreo), when this phone (Axon 7) came out, it came out right before 7.0 was final. So it took a few months but we got 7.0 if I recall in December last year or January this year, with 7.1 and 7.1.1 right after those updates were released. The Axon 7 is still an awesome phone for the $$$ with what you get despite being a year old and being slightly older hardware, we are missing features like gigabit LTE and Bluetooth 5.0 that only 2017 Qualcom processors like the 835 bring, but again I know allot of people who have a Samsung Galaxy S7/edge as an example which is the same specks pretty much HW wise as the Axon 7 with no plans or need to upgrade as it is fast enough for them despite the lack of android updates. So I am not complaining.

8.0 does change allot internally and I know ZTE would have to do allot of changes to Stock UI/Mifavor to integrate it well. like the new icons, notifications and dots, settings screen etc. So hopefully they have the final and are working on it. but keep in mind we just got this update and as with all Android upgrades, there are bugs and other things. Yes the final is out, but except for manual upgrades, no phone has 8.0 yet. I am confident ZTE will have the final code and test it. So we'll see what happens later this year or early next year.

Lastly, as the Axon 7 is guaranteed updates for 2 years, and Oreo 8.X will work well on this phone, I am sure at least Axon 7 and possibly the Mini will get all the Oreo goodness. Maybe by then towards Axon 7/Mini's lifecycle end, ZTE could announce their successor whatever it is with current HW (not that the Axon 7/Mini is outdated in the least) and we all do this all over again.

From Digital Trends (minus the typos), here is a direct quote on a official ZTE response to therm on Android 8 Upgrades. In the mean time enjoy this one, hopefully it fixes all issues for you, if not, keep sending bug reports, ZTE does listen and will fix whatever they can that is in their control as they can.

“We evaluate whether or not a device receives the latest update on a case by case basis. We are very open to looking at bringing Android O to all our of devices, but because of device hardware capabilities and carrier requirements, this will drive how quickly we would be able to commit to whether we can, and the actual timelines of seeing this come on a device.”

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,663 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to seean update. Thanks.

• mgeinitzmgeinitz Encino, CAPosts: 170 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you ZTE for this update! I am still having a issue with hiya update through the Playstore. It still is giving me error code 490. is anyone else still having this issue?

• km57km57 KYPosts: 16 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nope. Downloaded fine

• mgeinitzmgeinitz Encino, CAPosts: 170 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have playstore version 8.1.30.S-All [0] 165136412 . Trying to see what would be making the Hiya app error when I try to update it still.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@lllgurulll said:

@DrakenFX said:

@lllgurulll said:
    And its still 7.1.1. wow.

Yup, is all good to me. ZTE was the 1st OEM to bring 7.1.1 instead of 7.0 which is what BIG OEM been using

The only device. With 7.1.2 are the Nexus/Pixel , and the just announced V30 and Note 8...

I didn't realize 7.1.2 was in such a small amount of phones.

@lllgurulll only 1.2% of phones are on 7.1.1 as of August 21st. Majority of Android phones are on Lollipop and Marshmallow. Kudos to ZTE for having the multiple devices on Nougat! See graph below:

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@maverick said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kevinmcmurtrie said:
    The radios definitely weren't fixed. WiFi still dies after waking the phone. LTE data still quits working even while on an LTE channel.

I don't know about the wifi but it's easy to see from your screenshot why LTE isn't working. Your signal strength is too weak at - 115.0 dBm.

Uh... in LTE discovery mine is -123.0 dBm. thtas REALLY bad right? sigh

Anything under -120dBm is consider not good enough to even make a voice call.

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, turns out the "faster" performance is a placebo effect. The animations in developer options are set to 0.5x by default.

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,683 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@benkores said:
    Wow, turns out the "faster" performance is a placebo effect. The animations in developer options are set to 0.5x by default.

For me, I always disable all animations. the performance improvements come in the form of fewer moments where the device will lag, as well as better memory management.

I didn't notice the changing of the animation duration since i keep them disabled, but if they really changed it to 0.5X then that is a step in the right direction, though I would like if they just disabled it from the start and save people the step of doing that them self.

The default of 1X is just insanely long and shortening it has been a frequent community request, and I am unsure why any android device today from any company would use it. With a modern SOC, most menus can be processed and rendered faster than even the refresh rate of the display of the device, thus in those cases, there is no reason to have an animation to mask any kind of loading.

The same applies even with windows. Is there anyone running any version of windows from the last 17 years, who has not disabled at least all of the fade and slide animations? Why spend 500 milliseconds doing an animation that prevents interaction with the application until the animation is done, when the computer has already prepared and rendered the UI elements in less than 5 milliseconds?

@razor512 said:

@benkores said:

For me, I always disable all animations. the performance improvements come in the form of fewer moments where the device will lag, as well as better memory management.

I didn't notice the changing of the animation duration since i keep them disabled, but if they really changed it to 0.5X then that is a step in the right direction, though I would like if they just disabled it from the start and save people the step of doing that them self.

The default of 1X is just insanely long and shortening it has been a frequent community request, and I am unsure why any android device today from any company would use it. With a modern SOC, most menus can be processed and rendered faster than even the refresh rate of the display of the device, thus in those cases, there is no reason to have an animation to mask any kind of loading.

The same applies even with windows. Is there anyone running any version of windows from the last 17 years, who has not disabled at least all of the fade and slide animations? Why spend 500 milliseconds doing an animation that prevents interaction with the application until the animation is done, when the computer has already prepared and rendered the UI elements in less than 5 milliseconds?

Mine is set to 1x. Phone is slow on uptake. Just unlocking. Also battery isn't improved. Will adjust animations to start and clear partition cache again. Thoughts to improve my situation from you guru's?

• scottie888scottie888 Calgary ABPosts: 31 ✭✭✭✭

just updated with nary an issue. despite its flaws I have to be honest that this Axon 7 has been the best phone I've ever owned. I will definitely look at ZTE for my next upgrade.

thanks for the great work & timely updates :D

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

They finally fixed the quick settings. It now works exactly like on stock Nougat! Loving the Night Light and Do not disturb toggles and the easter egg also works!

I have wifi off and in battery out shows that it's been turning on for a brief time.

• kyngoflyonzkyngoflyonz United StatesPosts: 183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2017 2:53PM

Keep up the good work <3

• rkprkp GaithersburgPosts: 280 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just updated ... well done ZTE

• ggregggreg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kevinmcmurtrie said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kevinmcmurtrie said:

It does this all the time. Take it out of my pocket and there's no data until cycling airplane mode. Letting it sit in a stronger signal area doesn't fix it. If the phone didn't like Band 4 it could have switched to Band 12 or HSPA+ at that specific location. Some cell towers cause data to turn off like this even with full bars.

Only the Axon 7 with stock ROM does this. Moto X Pure is OK. iPhone 7 is OK. Axon 7 with LineageOS is OK.

My experience is the same.

It is really unfortunate that B32 update does not fix this. Even now my A7 is on useless EDGE, when there's a strong HSPA+ signal and the Moto G3 phones around me have no problem staying with it.

The Axon 7 radio firmware is still embarrassingly terrible.

• blurayagentblurayagent the OCPosts: 107 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ggreg said:

@kevinmcmurtrie said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kevinmcmurtrie said:

It does this all the time. Take it out of my pocket and there's no data until cycling airplane mode. Letting it sit in a stronger signal area doesn't fix it. If the phone didn't like Band 4 it could have switched to Band 12 or HSPA+ at that specific location. Some cell towers cause data to turn off like this even with full bars.

Only the Axon 7 with stock ROM does this. Moto X Pure is OK. iPhone 7 is OK. Axon 7 with LineageOS is OK.

It is really unfortunate that B32 update does not fix this. Even now my A7 is on useless EDGE, when there's a strong HSPA+ signal and the Moto G3 phones around me have no problem staying with it.

I was able to fix this by changing my apn setting, specifically from ipv6 to ipv4/6. try adjusting your apn setting.

• foxbat121foxbat121 Posts: 6 ✭✭✭✭

My GPS is almost unusable after this update. The GPS Test app reports decent, not great GPS signal level but it is extremely inaccurate and very slow to narrow down the accuracy and mostly stays around 40 to 50 ft range. As a result, Waze now is useless and Google Maps is barely working (need to drive a few minutes before it starts to work). Never had these problems before the update.

• ggregggreg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurayagent said:

@ggreg said:

@kevinmcmurtrie said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kevinmcmurtrie said:

I was able to fix this by changing my apn setting, specifically from ipv6 to ipv4/6. try adjusting your apn setting.

Thanks, but this did nothing for me.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Mobile United StatesPosts: 2,127 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2017 6:34PM

@foxbat121 , @ggreg
    Try by clearing up the Cache via Recovery and if that doesn't help much, I know nobody likes to do this, but I would recommend to Backup your internal storage to PC or SDCARD, and perform a Factory Reset.

Is a pretty big update with many , many fixes and additions.

• jazzijazzi Posts: 165 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@magnik said:
    Thanks, that clarifies the situation. I guess I'll just have to wait for the good stuff to make its way to Europe then... =)

I thought Europe - especially Holland - already had the "good stuff." B)