** SOFTWARE UPDATE: Axon 7 A2017U now on B32 **

Comments

• lmpaxonlmpaxon musician/ IT professional TexasPosts: 3 ✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:
    This is an older post that was edited. What is different from the original post? Also battery life was mentioned as improved and everyone is complaining about battery life since this update.

How could it possibly get worse?!?
    I'm really pissed about the battery life on this phone, if it can't go 8 hours of normal use w/o dying then I don't see the point in having this phone.
    I wanted to love it but I just don't.
    I'll post back if there's been any improvement.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

There is sometimes a big price to be paid for being an early adopter.

• jazzijazzi Posts: 165 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@maverick said:
    Just rebooted without SD card in and i see the blue user icon in the top, not sure why, but first impression is not good. laggy as hell (and i cleared the partition cache) and battery overheating already. lol. hopefully it'll improve and unfortunately i hope i'm not the only one

addition: just noticed the finger print reader doesnt detect finger all the time now. not even a rejection.

I experienced lagging also but clearing the cache partition sorted it out. Website rendering on Firefox and Chrome appear to lag still though. However Puffin seems to have picked up some pace.

Overheating does feel worse. I'm only here on Firefox (no other apps open and nothing else in the past 10 or so minutes) and the phone is on the warm site. Battery life seems to have gone south too. Hopefully these will sort themselves out like the lag issue as the the update fully kicks in.

• foxbat121foxbat121 Posts: 6 ✭✭✭✭

@DrakenFX said:
    @foxbat121 , @ggreg
    Try by clearing up the Cache via Recovery and if that doesn't help much, I know nobody likes to do this, but I would recommend to Backup your internal storage to PC or SDCARD, and perform a Factory Reset.

Is a pretty big update with many , many fixes and additions.

Already wiped the cache and made no difference.

• scott779scott779 Posts: 140 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some good comments here:
    I updated last night. The Hiya update and Security update should be welcome, Although I'm not sure what the other items listed will do for me. Everything is working just as good as it was. The battery always gets my thru the day with 20-30% left at days end.
    I have 4-5 bars at home & work (AT&T) Bluetooth and WiFi work great! BTW, did remove my micro SD card for the update but haven't seen a need to wipe the phone's cache yet.

• billdoebilldoe Posts: 4 ✭✭✭✭

I 100% recommend a factory reset after this update. My phone was lagging bad now it's smooth as butter

• gadgetnutgadgetnut Posts: 25 ✭✭✭
    edited September 1, 2017 9:38PM

Great Job ZTE within keeping the A7 updated!!

Anyone tried the Audio Track over Bluetooth with the latest update? So far it's still a no-go with Google Play Music and a 2011 F150 with Ford Sync. It's the only thing that my phone is missing.

• beenwaitingforthisbeenwaitingforthis Posts: 652 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is very encouraging news showing that ZTE is listening and is serious about its promises. Also very encouraging that at least so far there don't seem to be very many complaints about bugs. If only they had added Camera2 API to it... That would give even more hope for the future.

• lllgurullllllgurulll Posts: 65 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2017 12:48AM

Well first real issue for me has arisen. None of my personal notifications work. I have special notifications tones for each member of my family and when I select them it defaults to silent. Nothing I do lets it work.

Yep, this is a huge problem. Now I'm ticked.

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 317 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@stevec5375 said:

What's early? ZTE has been making phones for years and the Axon 7 is probably close to the 100th model.

That's exactly the annoying part. ZTE still hasn't figured out how to split releases into features and bug fixes. Releasing bug fixes every 1 or 2 months should be a trivial effort because most the work has been done by somebody else and there are no new features to test. Apply the patches, run the test suite, and roll it out.

Feature releases take longer, but these are usually applied to newest hardware then backported to older models. The backporting shouldn't be a big deal if code is being maintained properly.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kevinmcmurtrie said:

@stevec5375 said:

What's early? ZTE has been making phones for years and the Axon 7 is probably close to the 100th model.

That's exactly the annoying part. ZTE still hasn't figured out how to split releases into features and bug fixes. Releasing bug fixes every 1 or 2 months should be a trivial effort because most the work has been done by somebody else and there are no new features to test. Apply the patches, run the test suite, and roll it out.

Feature releases take longer, but these are usually applied to newest hardware then backported to older models. The backporting shouldn't be a big deal if code is being maintained properly.

I think that the biggest problem was using the MiFavor UI. They should have stayed with near stock Android like they use on the Zmax Pro and Blade Z Max. Adding a UI that wasn't time tested and sorted out to their "quote" flagship phone was a mistake.

For the life of me I don't understand why all the manufacturers have to go and put their own twist on the UI. Stock is outstanding.

edited September 2, 2017 2:16AM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@lllgurulll said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kevinmcmurtrie said:

@stevec5375 said:

I think that the biggest problem was using the MiFavor UI. They should have stayed with near stock Android like they use on the Zmax Pro and Blade Z Max. Adding a UI that wasn't time tested and sorted out to their "quote" flagship phone was a mistake.

For the life of me I don't understand why all the manufacturers have to go and put their own twist on the UI. Stock is outstanding.

They do it to differentiate themselves from everyone else and add their customizations. If all phones were stock Android the only difference would be the hardware.

well it sure would be nice to just have stock android without having to purchase a phone from Google. You are basically paying more for less. :) Most of the customizations make the phone less attractive.

• jazzijazzi Posts: 165 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

As a "recent" migrator from BlackBerry OS to Android, I'm not the least bit bothered about stock Android nor the inclusion of a custom manufacturer UI. The latter becomes a problem when the device maker moans about an inability to provide timely Android updates reasonably close to Google's release dates because they have to re-code and re-test extensively to ensure that the updates integrate smoothly with their customisations.

It is logical to expect that the more modifications made to the original code base - as in incorporating a bespoke UI layer - then the greater the additional work that will be required to seamlessly get Google's updates applied.

Why therefore risk the ire of customers over untimely updates, by adding a skin most people don't like or care about and giving yourself more (needless) work in the process?

That's just bizarre.

• Canad1an_ehCanad1an_eh Posts: 10 ✭✭✭✭✭

Axon 7 6gb ver, Here. can confirm the nfc payment now works like a charm looking forward to so much!

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@lllgurulll said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@kevinmcmurtrie said:

@stevec5375 said:

They do it to differentiate themselves from everyone else and add their customizations. If all phones were stock Android the only difference would be the hardware.

They differentiate themselves alright. They add a whole slew of bugs and problems that would otherwise not be there! For every line of new code or modification to existing code comes the possibility of breaking something.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Still no Bluetooth metadata with my truck. Guess this problem is a won't fix because it's been there a long time.

• foxbat121foxbat121 Posts: 6 ✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@foxbat121 said:

@DrakenFX said:
    @foxbat121 , @ggreg
    Try by clearing up the Cache via Recovery and if that doesn't help much, I know nobody likes to do this, but I would recommend to Backup your internal storage to PC or SDCARD, and perform a Factory Reset.

Is a pretty big update with many , many fixes and additions.

Already wiped the cache and made no difference.

But did you wipe the cache partition in recovery @foxbat121?

Of course. That seems a standard Android troubleshooting step these days. What's your GPS accuracy using GPS Test App? I'd like to see 5 to 10 feet but right now I'm lucky to see 25ft at best and 45 to 50 ft most of the time.

• Harish_SridharanHarish_Sridharan DuPont WA Posts: 47 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the motor fixed for the optical stabilization in the update?

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,963 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Harish_Sridharan said:
    Is the motor fixed for the optical stabilization in the update?

No, software can't fix a faulty hardware issue

• Mach1naMach1na Posts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disgusting that they still haven't fixed the Bluetooth issues.