** SOFTWARE UPDATE: Axon 7 A2017U now on B32 **

Comments

• ggregggreg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DrakenFX said:
    @foxbat121 , @ggreg
    Try by clearing up the Cache via Recovery and if that doesn't help much, I know nobody likes to do this, but I would recommend to Backup your internal storage to PC or SDCARD, and perform a Factory Reset.

Is a pretty big update with many , many fixes and additions.

You seem to be saying that FDR will fix this phone's terrible radio firmware performance? How?

By the way, wiping cache in recovery did not improve anything.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 481 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My buddy who still uses his A7 just updated yesterday to B32. He now has an empty triangle just to the left of his battery percentage in the top menu bar. Can someone please tell me what this empty triangle means so I can tell him? He says it wasn't there before the update.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:
    My buddy who still uses his A7 just updated yesterday to B32. He now has an empty triangle just to the left of his battery percentage in the top menu bar. Can someone please tell me what this empty triangle means so I can tell him? He says it wasn't there before the update.

Everything that I read says that it is the icon for roaming.

Hmmmmmm. Ok thanks

• theshriketheshrike CaliforniaPosts: 37 ✭✭✭✭✭

I installed the update the day it came out. Everything is great so far, no issues at all. In general my Axon 7 has been a great phone overall. I have Daydream, and use it, but I have not tried it since the update yet. As far a bad reception of cellular signals, I have a Moto G4 and a Nexus 6 in my house, all on T mobile. I have used the App, Network Cell Info on them at the same time while standing right next to each other and my Axon 7 was within 2 db of my other phones.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

I went ahead and upgraded my A7 to B32 and I also have the empty triangle. I am on Ting which is an MVNO of T-Mobile. I am sitting in my apartment. Weird that my phone as well as my buddy's both show roaming after the latest update. Could this be a glitch in the update? Is anyone else showing the triangle after the update? I'm not too concerned but my friend is.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

I went ahead and upgraded my A7 to B32 and I also have the empty triangle. I am on Ting which is an MVNO of T-Mobile. I am sitting in my apartment. Weird that my phone as well as my buddy's both show roaming after the latest update. Could this be a glitch in the update? Is anyone else showing the triangle after the update? I'm not too concerned but my friend is.

You might have to check your cellular settings again and make sure that roaming is allowed. Have you tried clearing it?

Data roaming was turned off. I turned it on and the empty triangle is still there. So I turned roaming back off again. I'm thinking it's a glitch in the software but if my friend and I are the only two reporting this I'm not sure. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket now. Lol

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

You might have to check your cellular settings again and make sure that roaming is allowed. Have you tried clearing it?

Data roaming was turned off. I turned it on and the empty triangle is still there. So I turned roaming back off again. I'm thinking it's a glitch in the software but if my friend and I are the only two reporting this I'm not sure. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket now. Lol

LOL on the lottery ticket. Aren't you allowed to roam for free? You might want to check all your cellular settings including that it's set for LTE preferred.

Thanks for the ideas. I have checked both phones for those settings. We are all setup correct. I am checking other settings now but this one has me scratching my head. Yes we both have free roaming but it's one of those things that just bug us. The icon never showed up on either of our phones until the latest update. He has H2O and I have Ting. Based on that I don't think the issue is with our providers. I honestly think we have found a glitch with the new update.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

LOL on the lottery ticket. Aren't you allowed to roam for free? You might want to check all your cellular settings including that it's set for LTE preferred.

Thanks for the ideas. I have checked both phones for those settings. We are all setup correct. I am checking other settings now but this one has me scratching my head. Yes we both have free roaming but it's one of those things that just bug us. The icon never showed up on either of our phones until the latest update. He has H2O and I have Ting. Based on that I don't think the issue is with our providers. I honestly think we have found a glitch with the new update.

Could be. That would bother me also.

I just found a chart online. The symbol we are getting is supposed to be for "Signal Cellular Null". I am now more confused than I was before. Lol!

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

I just found a chart online. The symbol we are getting is supposed to be for "Signal Cellular Null". I am now more confused than I was before. Lol!

When I Googled it I found 3 sites that said it was for roaming but I sure don't know. When you have the symbol do you still have a cellular signal? @DrakenFX should know the answer.

I think we just nailed it. We can both make and receive phone calls. But neither of our cellular strength icons are functioning. In other words this empty triangle has replaced our icons that we had before the upgrade that told us what our cell strength was. I guess it would have been the "bars" icon. On both of our phones the new A7 update B32 has replaced that old icon with the empty triangle. Since we can both make and receive calls I believe even more now that this is a glitch with B32.

Also when making calls the empty triangle just sits there acting like a dumb icon. The icon never changes and shows signal strength or anything. So now we don't have any way to measure our cell signal strength without a 3rd party app. Just another glitch.

• ggregggreg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ggreg said:

@DrakenFX said:
    @foxbat121 , @ggreg
    Try by clearing up the Cache via Recovery and if that doesn't help much, I know nobody likes to do this, but I would recommend to Backup your internal storage to PC or SDCARD, and perform a Factory Reset.

Is a pretty big update with many , many fixes and additions.

You seem to be saying that FDR will fix this phone's terrible radio firmware performance? How?

By the way, wiping cache in recovery did not improve anything.

Wiping the cache partition in recovery doesn't always fix every problem but it often times does fix a problem. I resist doing a factory reset also and do that as a last resort. But I agree it won't fix the reception problems.

I wouldn't expect improvements in reception from a software update. I would expect better handling of weak signal environments. For example, I have other phones with similar signal strength (within 1-2 db of each other and Axon 7) that are able to reliably select and hold on to acceptably fast HSPA+ data, while Axon 7 remains useless by downselecting to EDGE.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2, 2017 6:24PM

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

When I Googled it I found 3 sites that said it was for roaming but I sure don't know. When you have the symbol do you still have a cellular signal? @DrakenFX should know the answer.

I think we just nailed it. We can both make and receive phone calls. But neither of our cellular strength icons are functioning. In other words this empty triangle has replaced our icons that we had before the upgrade that told us what our cell strength was. I guess it would have been the "bars" icon. On both of our phones the new A7 update B32 has replaced that old icon with the empty triangle. Since we can both make and receive calls I believe even more now that this is a glitch with B32.

So far you two are the only ones who have report having this issue. Wonder if others are hitting it? I haven't installed the update yet because I'm waiting for more people to do so and see what surfaces. Sorry, but I've gotten cautious in my old age. :neutral:

edited September 2, 2017 11:06PM

@stevec5375 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

So far you two are the only ones who have report having this issue. Wonder if others are hitting it? I haven't installed the update yet because I'm waiting for more people to do so and see what surfaces. Sorry, but I've gotten cautious in my old age. :neutral:

I went down to Dallas tonight to have dinner with friends. The empty triangle never changed. I got home and decided to toggle wifi calling on. Empty triangle went back to normal "bar" icon. I could see it fluctuate slightly up and down. Turned off wifi calling and the cell status bar stayed the way it is supposed to be. No more empty triangle. I called my friend and had him do the same. Problem now solved on both phones. So it's a minor glitch somewhere after doing the update. If anyone else has this same issue just toggle wifi calling on for about 5 minutes and then turn it off. Problem solved. This one about drove me nuts trying to figure it out. Thanks to Jimlloyd40 and anyone else who helped out.

• beaugartbeaugart United StatesPosts: 126 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just finished installing the update. So far, so good even though I totally forgot to remove my SD card. Quick tiles appear to be working, and haven't seen any issues thus far. Still need to clear the cache, but figured I'd hop online and report the success. Thanks for the update ZTE!

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:

@acatrus said:
    It's a nice update, but no L1 certification is deceiving. It's still one of the best for the money phone. Hope it gets supported for a long time

What is L1 certification?

Its what allows a device to watch DRM-secured movies from apps like Netflix and Google Play Movies in HD quality. Since the Axon 7 doesn't have this certification, the highest quality you could watch those movies in is SD (480p) quality.