Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.


You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.


Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.


Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

Axon 7 Build 32 Feedback Survey

AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Moderator Posts: 1,125 admin

Axon 7 users, after one week since the update to Build 32 we have a short 1-minute survey that we would like you to be a part of.

We ask that you have spent at least 48 hours or more with the B32 update before taking the survey to give your feedback on this build. Please be honest with your feedback to help ZTE make all their updates to devices better each time.

Please use the link below to take the very short survey:

https://goo.gl/forms/h8SRqsg0MESEXjdP2

«1

Comments

  • DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD USA Posts: 792 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Overall I think it's a great update, but definitely still room for much improvement.

    I think the biggest request for future software will be to add the Camera 2 API.

    One thing I forgot to put in the survey, was that sometimes my phone will request to re-pair with my smartwatch,
    and when it does that it wakes the phone. It also makes a notification sound, so the screen doesn't need to wake,
    and it would be nice to have detailed controls over when the screen does or doesn't wake based on user preference.

  • samsamhasamsamha Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    done

  • razor512razor512 New York Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Finished also. Just needscamera2 API, and probably improved battery life.

  • ramses8211ramses8211 Posts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭

    In my opinion it's a really good ????and I plan to keep it for a long time, I'll even buy the next phone you get out but man, battery is wrong, and it has a tendency to overheat, and it might get laggy but this last one is understandable, good job ZTE thank you. Best phone I ever had and I really mean this from my heart

  • musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MA Posts: 2,598 mod

    CAMERA2 API, Ambient Display, Double click power to quick launch camera.. My wish list lol
    Make sure you let ZTE know what you wanna see guys

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter Tallahassee FLPosts: 489 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Camera 2 API would be nice, and MiFavor 5.0 perhaps. My biggest wish is the Bluetooth metadata fix for car stereos now I am facing that issue with my new truck. Quite annoying.

  • AustiniteAustinite Austin TexasPosts: 8 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 7, 2017 10:51AM

    Update is very good. I would like to see Hiya which is loaded on phones have 'uninstall' capability for us that do not use this application. I agree with others, this Axon 7 is the best phone I've ever experienced to date (and I gave up my iPhone 7 plus to buy the ZTE Axon after numerous friends told me how good it was). I've told dozens of friends about the Axon 7, and most of them have purchased the phone. Too bad AT&T and T-Mobile do not yet carry this phone inside their stores.

  • musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MA Posts: 2,598 mod

    @jasonscarter said:
    Camera 2 API would be nice, and MiFavor 5.0 perhaps. My biggest wish is the Bluetooth metadata fix for car stereos now I am facing that issue with my new truck. Quite annoying.

    I believe its an issues within nougat, since even Lineage users where having the same problem. However with 7.1.2 from what I heard so far in Lineage its fixed. Rumor is though that Android 8 has bluetooth issues still (for those who didnt know Android 7 introduced bluetooth bugs unlike prev android builds)

  • ggregggreg Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭✭

    B32 did not improve the inexcusably terrible performance of radios firmware. The radios are slow to acquire data, extremely slow to switch to appropriate data standard (almost invariably picking something uselessly slow, as opposed to other phones in the same environment), or just crash when other phones can maintain slow but useful connection. Fixing this should be top priority for ZTE for any future update of Axon 7.

  • musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MA Posts: 2,598 mod

    @ggreg said:
    B32 did not improve the inexcusably terrible performance of radios firmware. The radios are slow to acquire data, extremely slow to switch to appropriate data standard (almost invariably picking something uselessly slow, as opposed to other phones in the same environment), or just crash when other phones can maintain slow but useful connection. Fixing this should be top priority for ZTE for any future update of Axon 7.

    @ggreg Im pretty sure all that could be down about the radio modems and other software related fixes have already been completed. The phone is made of solid aluminum there is only so much that software can do to adapt to this.

  • DrakenFXDrakenFX Los Angeles, CA Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Done, :blush:

  • ggregggreg Posts: 114 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @musicdjm said:

    @ggreg said:
    B32 did not improve the inexcusably terrible performance of radios firmware. The radios are slow to acquire data, extremely slow to switch to appropriate data standard (almost invariably picking something uselessly slow, as opposed to other phones in the same environment), or just crash when other phones can maintain slow but useful connection. Fixing this should be top priority for ZTE for any future update of Axon 7.

    @ggreg Im pretty sure all that could be down about the radio modems and other software related fixes have already been completed. The phone is made of solid aluminum there is only so much that software can do to adapt to this.

    Both of these claims have been debunked previously. There are numerous reports of other solid metal phones having better reception than Axon 7. Additionally, Axon 7 radio performs significantly better with Lineage.

  • jasonscarterjasonscarter Tallahassee FLPosts: 489 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @musicdjm said:

    @jasonscarter said:
    Camera 2 API would be nice, and MiFavor 5.0 perhaps. My biggest wish is the Bluetooth metadata fix for car stereos now I am facing that issue with my new truck. Quite annoying.

    I believe its an issues within nougat, since even Lineage users where having the same problem. However with 7.1.2 from what I heard so far in Lineage its fixed. Rumor is though that Android 8 has bluetooth issues still (for those who didnt know Android 7 introduced bluetooth bugs unlike prev android builds)

    I don't know. If so, it must affect some OEMS, and not others. My Honor 8 works just fine. and 7.0. Maybe 7.1.2 should have been voted for, but I am sure everybody will be screaming for 8.0 for the Axon 7 for next update, but I figure we are still 2 updates away from that happening. I just would like to see it fixed since I planned on keeping this phone for 2 years at least.

  • hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    A great update indeed, however this was about 2 months late in my opinion. We should be getting the NEXT update already. But support is support and I'll take it. As far as feature list, Love the multi user option, night mode slider, Quick Tiles, and somewhat up to date security patch. I do not see improved battery life, not sure about everyone else.

  • acatrusacatrus Posts: 221 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Did the survey! I asked about L1 Widevine and support Android O

  • trottertrotter Tennessee, USAPosts: 138 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Survey completed. I am very happy with the updates thus far. While ZTE has not been the first out of the gate with everything (but was almost first with Nougat) the speed of the updates has been better than most. I have noticed that my battery life has taken a hit with this last update, though.

  • coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, Texas Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Survey Completed

  • hussainovhussainov Posts: 7 ✭✭✭
    edited September 8, 2017 2:43PM

    Completed. :)

  • wiljamzwiljamz Posts: 6 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Did anyone else lose the signal strength indicator after update?

    I know I have bars because I can make and receive calls.

  • jazzijazzi Posts: 98 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The new build has nothing featurewise that interests me. However I'm always thankful for system patches and security updates. So I welcome those.

    Initially there was some lagging and worsening of the overheating issue. However things seemed to have settled down and operationally, the phone is virtually indistinguishable from what it was prior to the update.

    I'm still hoping for optional onscreen navigational buttons, an option to disable all sounds and vibrations and an option to remove (not just disable) any non-essential bundled in app that I wish to discard.

  • @wiljamz Hello, and Welcome to Z-Community. No this update should not impact your signal strength indicator. I would first reboot the phone, and see if that resolves it. I would like to see if our CPA @razor512 has any thoughts on this as well. If this issue persists please start a thread and mention me.

  • razor512razor512 New York Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    That is a strange visual glitch. I also recommend restarting the device. If the issue still remains, try switching the device in and out of airplane mode and also switch WiFi calling off and back on. Also to rule out any signal issues, try installing LTE discovery. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.simplyadvanced.ltediscovery&hl=en This will make it easier to monitor the actual signal strength, as well as the bands being used.

    From the few users I have seen experience this issue so far, seem to be a visual glitch but the actual signal strength should be normal.

  • wiljamzwiljamz Posts: 6 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes. Signal strength is normal. Definitely a visual glitch that began after update.

  • eclipseddkeclipseddk Posts: 19 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @wiljamz said:
    Yes. Signal strength is normal. Definitely a visual glitch that began after update.

    Turn your WiFi calling on, have it connect and leave it on for 5 to 10 mins. It should start indicating again. After it shows you're free to turn WiFi calling off.

  • wiljamzwiljamz Posts: 6 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thanks for the tip to look at wifi calling @eclipseddk.

    The issue was that Wi-Fi only was checked. Apparently with the new update, if you have Wi-Fi only checked then you will get no cellular strength indication. Even if you have wifi calling disabled. This was my case. I turned wifi calling on and unchecked "wifi only" and the bars came back!

    See here, no bars even though wifi calling is off:

    Bars are back after un-checking "wifi only"

  • I'm disgusted. The battery now doesn't charge beyond 90% and it seems to discharge faster than before. My comment about discharge is only a rough impression, but for certain it does not charge past 90% no matter how long it's plugged in. It's possible this has something to do with "Boinc" the app that works with SETI@home and other public-service computing projects, because 90% is the charge level where Boinc kicks in. However, before this update the phone charged to 100% while Boinc was running.

  • razor512razor512 New York Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @wm.a.weevil said:
    I'm disgusted. The battery now doesn't charge beyond 90% and it seems to discharge faster than before. My comment about discharge is only a rough impression, but for certain it does not charge past 90% no matter how long it's plugged in. It's possible this has something to do with "Boinc" the app that works with SETI@home and other public-service computing projects, because 90% is the charge level where Boinc kicks in. However, before this update the phone charged to 100% while Boinc was running.

    What temperature is the battery while it is running? The battery will not fully charge if it is hot, as it is unsafe to maintain a very high battery temperature while at a full charge.

    From the design of the phone, and to avoid having to hot of a hot spot on the back of the device, they instead take a heatpipe that leads from the SOC, to a larger area of the mid frame which then acts as a heat spreader. This can also heat the battery a little since the battery is also pressed against the mid frame. That normally shouldn't be an issue for most normal use, but if something is happening that is running the GPU and CPU at full load, it may stop the device from charging.

    PS, the processing power of an SOC found in a phone is very low, and not really optimized for compute tasks like that, thus it does a ton of work while accomplishing very little, Taking a mid range GTX 400-600 series video card and having it participate in in one of those distributed computing projects will make the work of a smartphone seem like a rounding error in the least significant digit compared to the work that a desktop GPU will do.

  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 9, 2017 2:36PM

    @ironbaybeedoll said:
    @wiljamz Hello, and Welcome to Z-Community. No this update should not impact your signal strength indicator. I would first reboot the phone, and see if that resolves it. I would like to see if our CPA @razor512 has any thoughts on this as well. If this issue persists please start a thread and mention me.

    Yes it does. It was documented last week in another thread. Just toggle wifi calling on and then off. The signal indicator will start working again. It is a glitch in the software in the new update.

  • @razor512 said:

    @wm.a.weevil said:
    I'm disgusted. The battery now doesn't charge beyond 90% and it seems to discharge faster than before. My comment about discharge is only a rough impression, but for certain it does not charge past 90% no matter how long it's plugged in. It's possible this has something to do with "Boinc" the app that works with SETI@home and other public-service computing projects, because 90% is the charge level where Boinc kicks in. However, before this update the phone charged to 100% while Boinc was running.

    What temperature is the battery while it is running? The battery will not fully charge if it is hot, as it is unsafe to maintain a very high battery temperature while at a full charge.

    From the design of the phone, and to avoid having to hot of a hot spot on the back of the device, they instead take a heatpipe that leads from the SOC, to a larger area of the mid frame which then acts as a heat spreader. This can also heat the battery a little since the battery is also pressed against the mid frame. That normally shouldn't be an issue for most normal use, but if something is happening that is running the GPU and CPU at full load, it may stop the device from charging.

    PS, the processing power of an SOC found in a phone is very low, and not really optimized for compute tasks like that, thus it does a ton of work while accomplishing very little, Taking a mid range GTX 400-600 series video card and having it participate in in one of those distributed computing projects will make the work of a smartphone seem like a rounding error in the least significant digit compared to the work that a desktop GPU will do.

    Thanks, Razor512. Is there a way to read the battery temperature? Without knowing that, I can tell you that the phone doesn't feel warmer in the morning when I take it off the charger than it did before this update.

    Re. Boinc or SETI@phone, I appreciate the info, but why would these projects bother creating an app and doing the maintenance if phones can't contribute to their work? I'm not going to keep a laptop or desktop turned on doing SETI because it would be consuming tens of watts. The power consumption of the phone is pretty low even when it's churning away on Boinc. Anyway I'll try turning off Boinc and see if that resolves the charging issue; thanks again.

«1
Sign In or Register to comment.