Axon 7 Build 32 Feedback Survey

2»

Comments

• razor512razor512 New York Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@wm.a.weevil said:

@razor512 said:

@wm.a.weevil said:
    I'm disgusted. The battery now doesn't charge beyond 90% and it seems to discharge faster than before. My comment about discharge is only a rough impression, but for certain it does not charge past 90% no matter how long it's plugged in. It's possible this has something to do with "Boinc" the app that works with SETI@home and other public-service computing projects, because 90% is the charge level where Boinc kicks in. However, before this update the phone charged to 100% while Boinc was running.

What temperature is the battery while it is running? The battery will not fully charge if it is hot, as it is unsafe to maintain a very high battery temperature while at a full charge.

From the design of the phone, and to avoid having to hot of a hot spot on the back of the device, they instead take a heatpipe that leads from the SOC, to a larger area of the mid frame which then acts as a heat spreader. This can also heat the battery a little since the battery is also pressed against the mid frame. That normally shouldn't be an issue for most normal use, but if something is happening that is running the GPU and CPU at full load, it may stop the device from charging.

PS, the processing power of an SOC found in a phone is very low, and not really optimized for compute tasks like that, thus it does a ton of work while accomplishing very little, Taking a mid range GTX 400-600 series video card and having it participate in in one of those distributed computing projects will make the work of a smartphone seem like a rounding error in the least significant digit compared to the work that a desktop GPU will do.

Thanks, Razor512. Is there a way to read the battery temperature? Without knowing that, I can tell you that the phone doesn't feel warmer in the morning when I take it off the charger than it did before this update.

Re. Boinc or SETI@phone, I appreciate the info, but why would these projects bother creating an app and doing the maintenance if phones can't contribute to their work? I'm not going to keep a laptop or desktop turned on doing SETI because it would be consuming tens of watts. The power consumption of the phone is pretty low even when it's churning away on Boinc. Anyway I'll try turning off Boinc and see if that resolves the charging issue; thanks again.

To check the battery temperature and charge behavior, download 3x toolbox. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=ccc71.at.free&hl=en

Switch to expert mode, and then click on "Battery manager" and for current flow select reverse uA (near the bottom of the list).

• sigma00015sigma00015 Somerville, AlabamaPosts: 7 ✭✭

@wm.a.weevil said:
    Thanks, Razor512. Is there a way to read the battery temperature? Without knowing that, I can tell you that the phone doesn't feel warmer in the morning when I take it off the charger than it did before this update.

There a bunch of apps on the play store that will do the job-- this is the one I have used since I had a nuclear reactor (Snapdragon 810) for a phone. (First and only phone I had that got hot enough to blister my hands)
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fsinib.batterymonitor

• maulgandhimaulgandhi New Jersey Posts: 512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 10, 2017 10:10PM

Camera2api, Battery life, GPS stability, Ambient Mode, and overall stability. Camera2api is much needed feature!

• @wm.a.weevil said:

@razor512 said:

@wm.a.weevil said:
    I'm disgusted. The battery now doesn't charge beyond 90% and it seems to discharge faster than before. My comment about discharge is only a rough impression, but for certain it does not charge past 90% no matter how long it's plugged in. It's possible this has something to do with "Boinc" the app that works with SETI@home and other public-service computing projects, because 90% is the charge level where Boinc kicks in. However, before this update the phone charged to 100% while Boinc was running.

What temperature is the battery while it is running? The battery will not fully charge if it is hot, as it is unsafe to maintain a very high battery temperature while at a full charge.

From the design of the phone, and to avoid having to hot of a hot spot on the back of the device, they instead take a heatpipe that leads from the SOC, to a larger area of the mid frame which then acts as a heat spreader. This can also heat the battery a little since the battery is also pressed against the mid frame. That normally shouldn't be an issue for most normal use, but if something is happening that is running the GPU and CPU at full load, it may stop the device from charging.

PS, the processing power of an SOC found in a phone is very low, and not really optimized for compute tasks like that, thus it does a ton of work while accomplishing very little, Taking a mid range GTX 400-600 series video card and having it participate in in one of those distributed computing projects will make the work of a smartphone seem like a rounding error in the least significant digit compared to the work that a desktop GPU will do.

Re. Boinc or SETI@phone, I appreciate the info, but why would these projects bother creating an app and doing the maintenance if phones can't contribute to their work? I'm not going to keep a laptop or desktop turned on doing SETI because it would be consuming tens of watts. The power consumption of the phone is pretty low even when it's churning away on Boinc. Anyway I'll try turning off Boinc and see if that resolves the charging issue; thanks again.

Yup, it was Boinc. With that turned off, the phone charges all the way up.

• jasonejasone Tennessee Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Completed my wish list was for Camera2 API, Widevine cerification, and better battery life. Kinda wish I had added double press power button for camera like @musicdjm suggested. I use that constantly on my other phones and really miss it on the Axon 7.

• scott779scott779 Posts: 124 ✭✭✭✭✭

Survey done! I've been nothing but happy with this phone. It's the best phone of the my past 2 Droids, SG3 and LG G3 that I've had over the last 7 years. I've got 4-5 bars of cell signal and great WiFi at home and work. Obviously some unlucky folks don't have this and must have got semi-defective phones which happens with every product made.

• efranktankefranktank TexasPosts: 7 ✭✭

Will we find out when this survey is over, what the top suggestions were? and if they will be getting worked on?

• minato79minato79 philippinesPosts: 3 ✭✭

nice update. done answering the survey.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD USA Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@efranktank said:
    Will we find out when this survey is over, what the top suggestions were? and if they will be getting worked on?

I'm sure they will will close the survey when they are done accepting feedback, and I'm positive some of the issues will be getting worked on, otherwise there would be no point to the survey.
    I'd also like to see a list of "top suggestions", but reading the feedback posted here should also give us some indication of that. I thought more people would be posting what they put in the survey though.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 659 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Some of the things I put in the survey:

1. Move to Android 8 or at a minimum 7.1.2. There are bluetooth fixes in these versions that might fix the fact that some of us get no metadata displayed on our vehicle's head unit.
    2. Fix the HotSpot functionality. I can't access the internet via HotSpot even though I can connect to the phone.
    3. Add a "Call Settings" whereby you can turn off notification vibration while on a call.
  • texasmade1texasmade1 DFWPosts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2017 10:30AM

Done, I would like to see Widevine L1 support, Bluetooth fix (for both metadata and the Blueborne vulnerability) , and definitely the Camera2 API implemented.

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Done. I forgot to put camera2 API in the survey. I also hope to see an Always on or an ambient display implemented in the future.

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Survey done!

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 320 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:
    Done. I forgot to put camera2 API in the survey. I also hope to see an Always on or an ambient display implemented in the future.

Only if we can turn that feature off. I don't like always on screens.

@ram1220 said:

@westside80 said:

Only if we can turn that feature off. I don't like always on screens.

Any phone I've ever used that had an always on screen had the option to turn it off.

• M25201M25201 Cincinnati, OHPosts: 8 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven't had this phone that long (3 weeks) but so far so good the lastest update is great!

I would love to get:

1. Always on Display
    2. Widevine L1 Support
    3. Camera2api
    4. Android 8
    5. Battery improvements (will be best with Android 8)
    6. 400 GB SD Card support (SanDisk recently released a 400GB SD Card)
    7. Viper4android natively (won't happen tho that'll be awesome and I'd be shocked if they added that)
    8. An option in developer settings to automatically add ROMs without having to go to different sites to download ROMs (officially supported ones though)
    9. An option to have us change the boot screen and sound but natively through ZTE only unless you have root and all
    10. An option to disable fast charging for those who worry about battery longevity
    11. Improvements in performance
    12. RAW image and video options
    13. MiFavor 5
    14. Option to change theme to black in setting and the notification box instead of grey (notification box) and white (settings)
    15. Option to delete unnecessary apps without root
    16. Better ram management (if possible)
    17. Custom animated themes for lock screen and home screen
    18. natively built in Facebook and messenger just like my old windows 7 phone. That would be awesome!
    19. Option to change resolution
    20. Option to change battery icon to different ones
    21. Replace WiFi icon with a more whole one

Hope all this would be something ZTE could add. But, this phone is amazing for it's price!

• 14blank4014blank40 Posts: 163 ✭✭✭✭✭

@M25201 said:
    I haven't had this phone that long (3 weeks) but so far so good the lastest update is great!

I would love to get:

1. Always on Display
    2. Widevine L1 Support
    3. Camera2api
    4. Android 8
    5. Battery improvements (will be best with Android 8)
    6. 400 GB SD Card support (SanDisk recently released a 400GB SD Card)
    7. Viper4android natively (won't happen tho that'll be awesome and I'd be shocked if they added that)
    8. An option in developer settings to automatically add ROMs without having to go to different sites to download ROMs (officially supported ones though)
    9. An option to have us change the boot screen and sound but natively through ZTE only unless you have root and all
    10. An option to disable fast charging for those who worry about battery longevity
    11. Improvements in performance
    12. RAW image and video options
    13. MiFavor 5
    14. Option to change theme to black in setting and the notification box instead of grey (notification box) and white (settings)
    15. Option to delete unnecessary apps without root
    16. Better ram management (if possible)
    17. Custom animated themes for lock screen and home screen
    18. natively built in Facebook and messenger just like my old windows 7 phone. That would be awesome!
    19. Option to change resolution
    20. Option to change battery icon to different ones
    21. Replace WiFi icon with a more whole one

Hope all this would be something ZTE could add. But, this phone is amazing for it's price!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm certain that RAW image is supported (at least in manual mode)

• razor512razor512 New York Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18, 2017 10:48PM

Raw support has been available for a long time now, though there are a few limitations. It will only save the raw files when in manual mode, and it will only save them to the internal storage (probably for performance reasons since each raw file is 43.9MB. The camera app will also save an 11+MB jpeg file.

The raw files gives you around 2.2 stops worth of highlight recovery, and about 2 stops worth of shadow recovery.

Raw video on a smartphone cannot be done at the moment since that will require a capture rare and writing to NAND at 932MB/s That is basically a speed only available in higher end NVMe SSDs furthermore, 64GB of storage would only offer you about 1 minute of video recording.

The best you can hope for in current smartphones is an implementation such as what is found on the LG V30 where you have the compressed video but with a Log picture profile designed to maximize the dynamic range of the compressed frame.

Here is an example of the benefits of a Log profile:

It would be awesome if ZTE could implement that.

• xblackdemonxxblackdemonx CanadaPosts: 102 ✭✭✭✭

Camera 2 API please

razor512, thanks.

I also have a few more things ZTE should add:

1. Support for ALL audio formats
    2. Able to choose between most available picture formats in camera settings (I prefer PNG over JPG because it's a lossless format)
    3. Support for all picture formats
    4. Able to modify the audio more in settings like LG V Series
    1. Extended screenshot!!!!!
  • DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD USA Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@M25201 said:
    26. Extended screenshot!!!!!

That's a good one! I'd also love to see that. I have had use for it in the past, and used it on a previous device made by Huawei, but not available on my ZTE. It wouldn't be too hard to add I wouldn't think.

edited September 21, 2017 1:10PM

@DoppelgangerD said:

@M25201 said:
    26. Extended screenshot!!!!!

That's a good one! I'd also love to see that. I have had use for it in the past, and used it on a previous device made by Huawei, but not available on my ZTE. It wouldn't be too hard to add I wouldn't think.

Samsung s8 and OnePlus 3/3T/5 have that feature too. It does come in handy.

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 273 ✭✭✭✭✭

@razor512 said:

The best you can hope for in current smartphones is an implementation such as what is found on the LG V30 where you have the compressed video but with a Log picture profile designed to maximize the dynamic range of the compressed frame.

Linear intensity is almost never used in digital images and it's definitely not used with image sensors. What you're talking about is changing the tone reproduction curve. Some "prosumer" video cameras allow this to be tuned but it's a hassle to adjust this during recording. This is why professionals record in high dynamic range file formats and then adjust in post-processing.

I'm betting that cellphones don't support HDR video mostly due to costs of patents on high-end codec chips. There are plenty of patent-free codecs but, without a dedicated chip for it, they would overheat the main CPU.

2»