Welcome to our Consumer Lab page. While you will find many mobile research surveys kicked off by our teams, you will also find polls and discussions created by fellow members.


You're invited to complete any surveys that are still open and by all means create a poll if it relates to general mobile preferences. If your topic only pertains to one product, please create your poll within the respective product forum.


Newest Consumer Research Invitation: AR Consumer Research Survey

Welcome to our Beta Lab page. While we currently have a dozen or so private beta tests running, there are no active projects that we're recruiting for.


Check back often for recruiting surveys and screeners for new beta projects.

Screen Issues

Hazel5284Hazel5284 New YorkPosts: 7 ✭✭✭✭

I went to restart my phone because an app wasn't working and now my screen won't turn on after I put my pin in. It lights up but it's just a black screen. Not sure if it's just taking a long time to load or what but I need my phone as it contains all aspects of my life. If someone can help me I would appreciate it.

Comments

  • sshasansshasan Z-Community Moderator New York Posts: 2,994 admin

    @Hazel5284 hold down your power button for about 30 seconds this should reboot the device for you.

  • Hazel5284Hazel5284 New YorkPosts: 7 ✭✭✭✭

    I've tried that and it's still not working. :(

  • hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Are you able to get into recovery mode @Hazel5284?

  • Hazel5284Hazel5284 New YorkPosts: 7 ✭✭✭✭

    Hi hollap. When I get to that screen and release the volume up button and power button the menu disappears.

  • hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Hazel5284 said:
    Hi hollap. When I get to that screen and release the volume up button and power button the menu disappears.

    Try once more, this time when you get to that screen, release the power button first, then the volume button and see if it stays.

  • Hazel5284Hazel5284 New YorkPosts: 7 ✭✭✭✭

    @hollap said:

    @Hazel5284 said:
    Hi hollap. When I get to that screen and release the volume up button and power button the menu disappears.

    Try once more, this time when you get to that screen, release the power button first, then the volume button and see if it stays.

    Ok will try again. Thanks. will let you know what happens.

  • Hazel5284Hazel5284 New YorkPosts: 7 ✭✭✭✭

    Finally have the hard reset done now I have to activate my phone all over again. Not sure what brought this whole thing on and I've never had this happen before. I hope no one has to deal with this issue.

  • hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @Hazel5284 said:
    Finally have the hard reset done now I have to activate my phone all over again. Not sure what brought this whole thing on and I've never had this happen before. I hope no one has to deal with this issue.

    Glad you were able to get things squared away, and sorry you had to go through a reset! Sure hope it stays good for you now!

  • Hazel5284Hazel5284 New YorkPosts: 7 ✭✭✭✭

    @hollap said:

    @Hazel5284 said:
    Finally have the hard reset done now I have to activate my phone all over again. Not sure what brought this whole thing on and I've never had this happen before. I hope no one has to deal with this issue.

    Glad you were able to get things squared away, and sorry you had to go through a reset! Sure hope it stays good for you now!

    It was ok for a while now it's acting up again. I really can't stand when "smartphones" have issues. The screen was flashing and won't let me do anything. And now the screen is black again. SMH. Nothing out of the usual has happned. Not dropped in water or in direct sunlight or sitting in extremely hot places. So I'm not even sure what is going on.

  • mythosazmythosaz AZPosts: 12 ✭✭✭✭

    This is the behavior I got after installing Facebook on a brand new v8 pro last night. If you let it reboot, it won't ever start again without wiping the phone.

  • Hazel5284Hazel5284 New YorkPosts: 7 ✭✭✭✭

    @mythosaz said:
    This is the behavior I got after installing Facebook on a brand new v8 pro last night. If you let it reboot, it won't ever start again without wiping the phone.

    Did you do a factory reset and it still won't work? Or does it work now?

    I had Facebook on since February and it just started acting up today after I tried using my FB App. Even after I did the Factory Reset and added my apps and not signed in it started back up. I'm not sure IF it is FB App was the issue but the fact that an app can do that to the phone is an issue in itself. Sending the phone back because it's under warranty and shouldn't be doing this at all. I'm going to contact Facebook as well.

  • mythosazmythosaz AZPosts: 12 ✭✭✭✭

    @Hazel5284 said:

    @mythosaz said:
    This is the behavior I got after installing Facebook on a brand new v8 pro last night. If you let it reboot, it won't ever start again without wiping the phone.

    Did you do a factory reset and it still won't work? Or does it work now?

    I had Facebook on since February and it just started acting up today after I tried using my FB App. Even after I did the Factory Reset and added my apps and not signed in it started back up. I'm not sure IF it is FB App was the issue but the fact that an app can do that to the phone is an issue in itself. Sending the phone back because it's under warranty and shouldn't be doing this at all. I'm going to contact Facebook as well.

    Any attempt to re-install Facebook causes apps to begin crashing, and if I reboot before removing Facebook, it will not boot up correctly again.

    Last night I got the phone, brand new. I started installing all the apps I needed, setting them up as I went along. As soon as I installed Facebook (after hours of setting up other apps, accounts, etc.) it crashed the Play Store, and then other apps started crashing. I rebooted, and it failed to get past the V8 screen. I tried to reboot it a dozen more times, and once or twice it got as far as the unlock screen, but immediately crashed again.

    I cleared cache. That didn't help.

    I cleared cache and factory reset the phone.

    I started over - before realizing Facebook was the issue - installing a bunch of apps, and then, when I got to Facebook, the same thing happened.

    So I started over - again.

    On a fresh factory reset, I installed Facebook first. Crashes, failure to load.

    So I reset AGAIN.

    I installed Facebook, and it failed again, but I uninstalled it before rebooting. Works. As long as I take it back off the phone before reboot (which is fine, since it won't launch), it works.

    So now I've got a phone where I installed EVERYTHING again, EXCEPT FACEBOOK and the phone works fine.

    I'm pondering searching for an older APK from one of the APK mirrors, but I'm not interested in having to turn off auto-updates.

    tl;dr If you install Facebook's current APK on a brand new stock V8 pro, the Facebook app crashes the Google Play Store, probably your launcher, and then your phone won't reboot.

  • CorpSuitCorpSuit Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

    I am having the same issue. I will try to reinstall and not install with Facebook. I was getting stuck at the Blade V8 Pro screen. So have we determine FB is the issue?

  • mythosazmythosaz AZPosts: 12 ✭✭✭✭

    @CorpSuit said:
    I am having the same issue. I will try to reinstall and not install with Facebook. I was getting stuck at the Blade V8 Pro screen. So have we determine FB is the issue?

    I mean I'm pretty sure, but nobody at VTE is saying anything.

    You can test this yourself pretty fast. Install Facebook and watch your freshely wiped phone freak out. Uninstall it before you reboot though...

  • CorpSuitCorpSuit Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

    I actually can confirm, it is 99.99% Facebook. I installed it last night as the only app and messenger and both caused the phone to freeze on reboot. I set up a RMA with ZTE because I thought it was the phone causing issues, but luckily I saw this thread. I have removed Facebook and managed to reboot 3x without an issue (sans Facebook). I did ask the tech when I was setting up a RMA and they would not confirm it was Facebook, but they said it was suspected as an issue. I am surprised that ZTE has not put a comment somewhere or a global note about the possible issues.

  • hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Has anybody with the issue tried contacting facebook at all to see if they have anything to say? I assume Facebook just had an update that is causing this along with a mix of ZTE software?

  • xtremec777xtremec777 Edwardsburg MIPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

    I'm having the same issue. Any news yet?

  • xtremec777xtremec777 Edwardsburg MIPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

    I just sent facebook a message I will let you all know when they respond

  • hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 6,843 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Can someone please try turning off automatic updates in Google play store after they FDR next time?

  • There is also a discussion in progress at link below. In an effort to consolidate, this thread will be locked. Please join in the discussion at:
    https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/50152/phone-not-waking-up-lots-of-stock-android-has-stopped-working-home-button-wonky#latest

This discussion has been closed.