ZTE axon 7 signal strength issues

akwid044akwid044 USAPosts: 4 ✭✭✭✭

Who else has signal issues, it seems like the signal always weak, some times I have a full bars and then goes to one bar.
I think is only on 4g lte bands, I'm using cricket sim card, never have this problem before. Could be the antenna or the aluminum body ?

Comments

• musicdjmmusicdjm Worcester,MA Posts: 2,814 mod

This thread has been moved from the Developers sections to the Axon section

• ggregggreg Posts: 140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 13, 2017 2:02PM

The Axon 7's reception ability is definitely below average. Information has been provided on these forums that this is largely because of a hardware design compromise made by ZTE to allow for larger speakers at the expense of antennas. In addition, the modem firmware is buggy and doesn't cope very well in environments where cellular signal is weak. The phone too easily loses the signal completely , and is slow to reacquire, especially the data. It is normal to use third party software to prod Axon 7 to reconnect to data.

[Edit] My provider is T-Mobile.

Some will try to blame Axon 7's aluminum body for it's poor reception performance; however, this is not convincing to me as other phones with similar builds do not suffer the same problems.

• AustiniteAustinite Austin TexasPosts: 11 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had Cricket Wireless, however I switched over to AT&T Wireless Prepaid. Cricket Wireless is a MNVO and unlike AT&T Prepaid gets secondary prioritization on AT&T's network/and partner's networks whereby AT&T Prepaid customers do not. Cricket does NOT tell you all the areas they do not provide service (even though they say they utilize mostly AT&T & other partners towers). When I switched from Cricket to AT&T Prepaid I noticed a 100% improvement in signal strength, clarity and I'm now able to utilize my phone in areas whereas Cricket Wireless had no coverage. I asked a friend which works for AT&T Wireless if I was imagining this change - he replied NO, that AT&T Prepaid Customers get prioritized 1st versus Cricket Wireless or any other MNVO which utilizes AT&T. So MNVO's do not always get the same equal service and prioritization as the prime providers like AT&T & T-Mobile.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 320 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Austinite said:
    I had Cricket Wireless, however I switched over to AT&T Wireless Prepaid. Cricket Wireless is a MNVO and unlike AT&T Prepaid gets secondary prioritization on AT&T's network/and partner's networks whereby AT&T Prepaid customers do not. Cricket does NOT tell you all the areas they do not provide service (even though they say they utilize mostly AT&T & other partners towers). When I switched from Cricket to AT&T Prepaid I noticed a 100% improvement in signal strength, clarity and I'm now able to utilize my phone in areas whereas Cricket Wireless had no coverage. I asked a friend which works for AT&T Wireless if I was imagining this change - he replied NO, that AT&T Prepaid Customers get prioritized 1st versus Cricket Wireless or any other MNVO which utilizes AT&T. So MNVO's do not always get the same equal service and prioritization as the prime providers like AT&T & T-Mobile.

I have read the same thing. Unfortunately AT&T was horrible in my area. Constant dropped calls and recordings of "We are unable to complete your call as dialed. Please try again later." I switched to Sprint who was much better on calls then AT&T. But Sprint's data was horrible and slow. I now have Ting"s GSM service which is an MVNO of T-Mobile. (GSM. The CDMA uses Sprint) I am much happier and don't have any problems. Plus my phone bill is $26 per month after taxes :)

edited September 13, 2017 3:26PM

Gosh, I wonder if Ggreg is right and its a design flaw? Since I'm in Central Austin (TX) and there are tons of towers I have great signal. I have taken it to remote areas as well and have not experienced any issues - so far. Since switching to AT&T Wireless I have not had one issue what-so-ever. On another NOTE, I'm using US MOBILE (www.usmobile.com) for my 2nd Line (SIM), I did not want to pay for voice calls but only texting, so US Mobile offered me a deal of $9.00 per month for unlimited texting on my 2nd number (using T-Mobile network). Yes you GOT A DEAL for $26.00 per month! :smiley:

I think Ggreg may be right about a design flaw in antenna/signal. Over the past 5 days I have experience 12 missed calls or calls going to Voice Mail. In my business I cant afford this to happen. If I'm under a tower its no problem! I might be selling my ZTE Axon 7 and going to Samsung unless ZTE can fix.

• Personally, I don't agree that this is a design flaw. When I was on the build my Axon 7 2017U came with, (B19) I think, but might have been prior. I had zero signal strength issues. Since B25, and now B32, signal strength is very poor. There is something the Devs changed. Drivers perhaps? I'm not sure, what, but it just hasn't had the same magic since.

edited October 3, 2017 6:51PM

I find that within the metro area I'm fine regarding coverage most of the time, however I noticed where I once had great coverage outside of the metro area that I'm now finding reduced signal strength issues. I checked my Open Signal app and find that such areas I once had coverage still shows good coverage for most. This isn't a deal killer for me as I'm too much a believer in ZTE. Hopefully the company does an upgrade sometime in the nearby future and possibly fixes this minor issue.

Yeah, there's always hope. Though the fact that ZTE just can't get it right over so many patches after B29, it's starting to look like good modem performance on B29 was some kind of an accident.

• kevinmcmurtriekevinmcmurtrie Silicon Valley areaPosts: 273 ✭✭✭✭✭

My phone has bad reception combined with bad radios. My Axon 7 has always had problems with the radios cycling, shutting off, choosing the wrong band, and even choosing the wrong carrier. Since the last two updates, the radios almost always cycle shortly after waking the phone.

• specqspecq Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

After updating to b25 my wifi and cellular signals went to sht. Would randomly drop and I confirmed this using WiFi analyzer. The only solution for me was to rollback to b19. Radios work fine now. I Guess I can never update my A7 ever again.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,147 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is a pretty sad situation. Since the hardware hasn't changed why would ZTE change the software and make the reception worse?

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,156 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

My radios are the same as they were when I purchased the device. RAdios never improved or decreased through any of the updates. If you did update and had issues, I would suggest wiping the cache partition to see if that helps at all (I suggest doing this after any update anyway). If it doesn't, then I'm not sure what the issue may be.

I work in an office building with a lot of locations that have weak cell signal, and it is very frustrating to have to check my phone to see if it was able to connect to data or if I have to cycle the airplane mode - every time I move around.

This started happening when A7 was updated from the B29 build of 6.0.1 to the first Nougat build. So whether this is because the radios were updated, or something else was changed related to that subsystem, it really doesn't matter. ZTE broke it and they need to fix it.

• clivemckrackenclivemckracken Michigan, USAPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking about conducting some tests to compare the receiver performance of the Axon 7 against some of the other phones I have on hand. I can run live tests on a network and have access to network simulators (R&S, Anritsu).

Basically, I'll need to figure out a way to open up the DIAG port on the Axon 7 -- I'm hoping once I root the phone that I'll be able to figure out how to open the port to allow the extraction of the relevant information (i.e., RSRP, RSRQ, etc.). I can already get this type of information from the other phones I have access to -- just haven't cracked the Axon 7 yet.

Anyone have any experience getting the DIAG port open on the USB on the Axon 7?

@clivemckracken said:
    I'm thinking about conducting some tests to compare the receiver performance of the Axon 7 against some of the other phones I have on hand. I can run live tests on a network and have access to network simulators (R&S, Anritsu).

Basically, I'll need to figure out a way to open up the DIAG port on the Axon 7 -- I'm hoping once I root the phone that I'll be able to figure out how to open the port to allow the extraction of the relevant information (i.e., RSRP, RSRQ, etc.). I can already get this type of information from the other phones I have access to -- just haven't cracked the Axon 7 yet.

You're best bet is to ask @DrakenFX or @freeza. Sorry if I left someone else out.

• clivemckrackenclivemckracken Michigan, USAPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@clivemckracken said:

You're best bet is to ask @DrakenFX or @freeza. Sorry if I left someone else out.

Thank you, sir.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter Tallahassee FLPosts: 762 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 9, 2017 6:25PM

My signal strength has stayed the same since I bought the device last fall. At my house it is always around -105dBm at my house, and -109dBM at my office. It's a metal phone, not going to have the best strength out there. Outside my signal is better. Hasn't caused me any issues. I never go by the number of bars. Always look at SIM status in about phone.

I had ATT when I first got the phone, and switched the Cricket to save some $$$. Signal strength didn't change at my house or work.

Someone who lives in environment with consistently acceptable cellular signal strength having no problems with phone disconnecting and then having to reconnect and failing to do it, ITT.

When the A7 first came out the reception was poor. I make deliveries all over Phoenix and I would lose the signal in several places that previous phones didn't. I actually had to purchase a different phone because my deliveries are often times urgent and required communication. I don't remember which update improved the reception but it was early on and hasn't changed since then. Still not as good as some but is reliable for me.

@ggreg said:
    Someone who lives in environment with consistently acceptable cellular signal strength having no problems with phone disconnecting and then having to reconnect and failing to do it, ITT.

?

• bgtxbgtx Posts: 20 ✭✭✭✭

After having this phone for almost a year now, I think I am about to sell it, which is the shortest time I have ever kept a phone. The specs look good on paper, but it just hasn't grown on me. Mainly because the cell coverage.

Granted, I knew band 12 and 13 were not available, but I did have Total Wireless working on it (VZW bands), but they ended up kicking me off their service after 3 months time. VZW has the best coverage in the N. Houston area. So I was basically forced to switch to Straight Talk. I tried all 3 sims in the kit, and the T Mobil sim worked the best.

What I have noticed though, is that my data speeds suck, even though I have driven all over this area and know I have hit different towers. I am showing 4G LTE on the phone, but my data drops to horrible rates just driving to the other side of town and I know where the cell towers are physically located. My DB is always at 105+, I monitor is using LTE Discovery App. It's like the phone hates to move between towers. I have tried every APN setting I have found on the internet and still no change.

So I am looking at Global versions of Xiaomi Mi Mix, Mi Mix 2, or the Note 2 since all of those have better bands support than the Axon 7. The only thing I hate about them is the screen will not be as nice as the Axon's. I don't see any new 6" phones coming out from ZTE, so it's time to move on. The One+ 5 looks good, but screen is crap too. Just tired of paying more for a phone than I do for laptops, so choices are limited.

@bgtx said:
    After having this phone for almost a year now, I think I am about to sell it, which is the shortest time I have ever kept a phone. The specs look good on paper, but it just hasn't grown on me. Mainly because the cell coverage.

Granted, I knew band 12 and 13 were not available, but I did have Total Wireless working on it (VZW bands), but they ended up kicking me off their service after 3 months time. VZW has the best coverage in the N. Houston area. So I was basically forced to switch to Straight Talk. I tried all 3 sims in the kit, and the T Mobil sim worked the best.

What I have noticed though, is that my data speeds suck, even though I have driven all over this area and know I have hit different towers. I am showing 4G LTE on the phone, but my data drops to horrible rates just driving to the other side of town and I know where the cell towers are physically located. My DB is always at 105+, I monitor is using LTE Discovery App. It's like the phone hates to move between towers. I have tried every APN setting I have found on the internet and still no change.

So I am looking at Global versions of Xiaomi Mi Mix, Mi Mix 2, or the Note 2 since all of those have better bands support than the Axon 7. The only thing I hate about them is the screen will not be as nice as the Axon's. I don't see any new 6" phones coming out from ZTE, so it's time to move on. The One+ 5 looks good, but screen is crap too. Just tired of paying more for a phone than I do for laptops, so choices are limited.

Just curious why you would be shopping a new Mi Mix 2 with a much older phone the Note 2. And just FYI you will also miss the speakers. I read that either of the Mi Mix phones have terrible sound. If you're going to spend Mi Mix money why not consider the HTC U11. Then you get the screen and the speakers and I can vouch for the reception.

• bgtxbgtx Posts: 20 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2017 3:20PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@bgtx said:

Just curious why you would be shopping a new Mi Mix 2 with a much older phone the Note 2. And just FYI you will also miss the speakers. I read that either of the Mi Mix phones have terrible sound. If you're going to spend Mi Mix money why not consider the HTC U11. Then you get the screen and the speakers and I can vouch for the reception.

I have had 3 HTC phones, I really liked my One M8, not so much the M9. Wife is using a M8 too, it's on it's last leg. She is very petite, so a 5.7" screen is almost the max size she wants, hence the Note 2 for her. The GPU/CPU on that model is more than she needs and it's gotten great online reviews. It's amazing that Xiaomi can pack that many supported bands in the Global version, when ZTE and most other phone manufacturers struggle. The problem is, its a very hard phone to get currently. GearBest dropped the ball on my two orders over the last 60 days, so I cancelled and won't ever buy from them again.

For me, I am ready for a change up in style/manufacturers, plus cost considerations. Since the Note 2 and Mix 2 (Global ROMs) support all the VZW, AT&T and TMobile bands, it seems like the best alternative in case we need to switch carriers at some point. You are right, the screen is the most disappointing issue for me on both those models though. If they could put the screen from say, the Elephone S8, then it wouldn't be so bad, esp since those are Xiaomi's "flagships". I have to give ZTE props, the Youtube 4k videos look amazing on the Axon 7, only wish the screen was larger, plus the carrier issues I am having. I also like the bezel less designs out now, because I have to show videos and docs from my phone to people quite a bit, so the larger screen is a must have moving forward.

As far as specs, the Mix 2 has the 835/540 proc/gpu, plus 6/128 or 8/256 Gb means I don't have to worry about expandable memory. Can't believe they dropped the battery size from 4400 to 3400 mAh though, from the Mi Mix. The Note 2 would be great if it had the newer cpu/gpu and better screen, so time will tell if they get their act together. I really liked the Mi Mix original, sans the phone speaker issue, non 2k screen, and missing band 12/13 for the US market.

I have looked at so many phones the last 3 months, it's tiring.

@bgtx said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@bgtx said:

I have had 3 HTC phones, I really liked my One M8, not so much the M9. Wife is using a M8 too, it's on it's last leg. She is very petite, so a 5.7" screen is almost the max size she wants, hence the Note 2 for her. The GPU/CPU on that model is more than she needs and it's gotten great online reviews. It's amazing that Xiaomi can pack that many supported bands in the Global version, when ZTE and most other phone manufacturers struggle. The problem is, its a very hard phone to get currently. GearBest dropped the ball on my two orders over the last 60 days, so I cancelled and won't ever buy from them again.

For me, I am ready for a change up in style/manufacturers, plus cost considerations. Since the Note 2 and Mix 2 (Global ROMs) support all the VZW, AT&T and TMobile bands, it seems like the best alternative in case we need to switch carriers at some point. You are right, the screen is the most disappointing issue for me on both those models though. If they could put the screen from say, the Elephone S8, then it wouldn't be so bad, esp since those are Xiaomi's "flagships". I have to give ZTE props, the Youtube 4k videos look amazing on the Axon 7, only wish the screen was larger, plus the carrier issues I am having. I also like the bezel less designs out now, because I have to show videos and docs from my phone to people quite a bit, so the larger screen is a must have moving forward.

As far as specs, the Mix 2 has the 835/540 proc/gpu, plus 6/128 or 8/256 Gb means I don't have to worry about expandable memory. Can't believe they dropped the battery size from 4400 to 3400 mAh though, from the Mi Mix. The Note 2 would be great if it had the newer cpu/gpu and better screen, so time will tell if they get their act together. I really liked the Mi Mix original, sans the phone speaker issue, non 2k screen, and missing band 12/13 for the US market.

@bgtx I have one more for you to look at. Huawei will be introducing the Mate 10 Pro on October 16th. I believe that it will meet the criteria that you're looking for. Actually it looks pretty spectacular and @westside80 has told me that the Huawei phone he had was the best phone that he's had with regards to the reception.

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 10, 2017 11:08PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@bgtx said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@bgtx said:

@bgtx I have one more for you to look at. Huawei will be introducing the Mate 10 Pro on October 16th. I believe that it will meet the criteria that you're looking for. Actually it looks pretty spectacular and @westside80 has told me that the Huawei phone he had was the best phone that he's had with regards to the reception.

I had the Honor 5x, Honor 8 and Nexus 6p and all 3 of those phones have great cell reception. I'm currently using the Pixel XL and it has as good if not better cell reception than all 3 of those other phones. I know the Pixel XL isn't made by Huawei but I just thought I would mention it. I wasn't impressed with the cell reception on the s8 or LG G6. They weren't as bad as the Axon 7 but they also weren't as good as the Pixel XL, 6p, Honor 5x or Honor 8. I am surprised at how good the signal is on the Pixel XL. The Pixel XL cell signal may be a little better than my 6p, by a dBm or 2. That also goes to show that it doesn't matter if a phone is metal, plastic or glass. It all depends on the cell radio/antenna on the phone. You would think a glass or plastic phone would get better reception than an aluminum phone but that isn't the case.

I do have an Honor 8 as a second phone, and it does get better cell reception than my Axon 7. I use it a lot when I go out cycling since it's smaller and fits in my jersey pocket better. Having that extra cell phone signal strength out there on the bike gives me piece of mind and my wife piece of mind I can get in touch with her if something happens.

• specqspecq Posts: 7 ✭✭✭

I did wipe all partitions and factory reset the phone and I still have signal issues after updating. Can I get a replacement phone under warranty for consistently dropped signal? The axon 7 I have now is a replacement for the original one I purchased. I cracked the screen on that one. But this looks like manufacturers defect.

@specq said:
    I did wipe all partitions and factory reset the phone and I still have signal issues after updating. Can I get a replacement phone under warranty for consistently dropped signal? The axon 7 I have now is a replacement for the original one I purchased. I cracked the screen on that one. But this looks like manufacturers defect.

Try calling ZTE Support and see what they say. What is your signal strength is SIM status?