"Watch shares number with phone"

CortexCortex ChicagoPosts: 2 ✭✭

I am a bit confused about how this feature works. I found this on another thread:
https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/20428/tutorial-making-and-receiving-calls-using-quartz-and-your-phone#latest

This was helpful, but I would like some more detail. If I choose "Calls Disabled" and "Bluetooth Enabled" does this mean I need to be within bluetooth range of my phone to be able to pick up calls on my watch? Is there any way to have my devices both on the same number over cellular connection and pick up the call over either device? And if I call out on the watch, does the call recipient see the same number as the phone? Would love to see a graphics that shows all of these "routes"!

Comments

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

hi, @corex

if you do not have share number, then the watch and the phone will not share number. Thus, if you are out of the BT range, then you will not be able to get notification on the watch when an incoming call to your phone number.

If you have T-Mobile's digits, then it should forward all of your calls to your devices so you only need a single number for all of them. If you do not have digits, you could actually setup call forwarding on your phone (for most devices, it is under dialer's setting) to forward calls to your watch. So when there is an incoming calls, it can be forwarded to your watch when it did not get picked up on the phone. This lets you picks up calls on your watch even when you are away from the phone. However, when you call out on your watch it will still display your watch's number.

• CortexCortex ChicagoPosts: 2 ✭✭

Thanks, I thought that might be how it works. Would love to clone my number across the two devices. DIGITS seems to be the only way.

• RC51RULZRC51RULZ Posts: 6 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2017 4:39PM

T-Mobile can set the watch to have the same number as your phone. I did it, but it takes several phone calls to finally get someone at T-Mobile that knows how. First they gave me a # for the watch and tried to set up "digits". This did not work and was overly complicated. Then after about 8 calls and a few days, I spoke to someone that told me to forget "digits" and he could set the watch to have the same # as my phone. Now it's been working perfectly for months. For me having 2 numbers just complicates things. Now I really can leave my phone behind and still have calls/text/email with MY number. Unfortunately T-Mobile and ZTE are not educating sales people on how to properly set up a cellular smart watch.... As a side note I ride MTB several times a week and also use the strava app with the watch. I'm able to get 6 hours ride time running cellular and Strava GPS tracking. :)

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@RC51RULZ said:
    T-Mobile can set the watch to have the same number as your phone. I did it, but it takes several phone calls to finally get someone at T-Mobile that knows how. First they gave me a # for the watch and tried to set up "digits". This did not work and was overly complicated. Then after about 8 calls and a few days, I spoke to someone that told me to forget "digits" and he could set the watch to have the same # as my phone. Now it's been working perfectly for months. For me having 2 numbers just complicates things. Now I really can leave my phone behind and still have calls/text/email with MY number. Unfortunately T-Mobile and ZTE are not educating sales people on how to properly set up a cellular smart watch.... As a side note I ride MTB several times a week and also use the strava app with the watch. I'm able to get 6 hours ride time running cellular and Strava GPS tracking. :)

While the csr you spoke with was able make the number in the watch the same as your mobile phone, this can create an issue if you decide to sell or give the watch away at any point. You'll have to make sure Tmo changes the number in the watch before anyone else uses it.