Would you buy another ZTE "flagship" without the Camera2 API?

louisdlouisd Ashburn, VAPosts: 985 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 30, 2017 6:33AM in Axon

Would you buy another ZTE "flagship" without the Camera2 API? 61 votes

No
73%
kenbr1960DoppelgangerDjasonelouisdmusicdjmjimlloyd40sgarrandram1220mgeinitzwasabitdizub236gryphticonryampolskysaeedtedkidnovafreezashoman94andrewzaragozadosloverk4zmtl 45 votes
Yes
26%
coldheat06frodriguez2010hollapbusymanmrknight85rasalonjasonscarterDrakenFXsaeedtedaustenfanwiseman1314blank40trotterjazzitrimetfanwowsher 16 votes

Comments

• frodriguez2010frodriguez2010 Enterprise Tech Support Engineer TexasPosts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Im a ZTE fan and there are other specifications I consider not just the camera 2 API. Don't get me wrong though it would be nice if it finally gets applied.

• foxtrotdragonfoxtrotdragon CanadaPosts: 19 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

probably not, camera quality and functionality is a big thing for me, and without camera2 api, its hard to compete

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 282 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No

I hope that they learn from their mistakes and don't push out lacking software on next iterations.

• marcwool1marcwool1 CanadaPosts: 45 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

No. I want to buy another top-end ZTE phone, but if it doesn't have Camera 2API. I won't. I'll move on to some other brand.

• ryampolskyryampolsky Posts: 162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2017 5:28PM
    No

It's not camera2, specifically. Just that I won't buy a phone from anyone with basic Android functionality disabled. Having previously only owned Nexus devices, I didn't grasp that a 'skin' could take away functions as well as adding dubious ones. MiFavor as it stands now isn't bad - but it's taken a bunch of updates to get here, and camera2 is still missing. Of course, untill XDA ported Google's camera app, I had no idea what camera2 was - but I sure would have assumed I had all the same Nougat features as any other 820 based device running 7.1.1. Apparently not.,

• jazzijazzi Posts: 107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

What's all the recent fuss over Camera 2 API (the term alone is so damn pretentious)? This has been around since Android 5. We're on the Operation System's 7th version going on to the 8th and suddenly there seems to be a facination with that API.

A phone is primarily a communications device and in my view, the focus should be on ensuring first and foremost, that it excels at performing that function. Optional extras are fine and desirable but if I can't make or receive a call due to dodgy harware or radio signal constantly drops when everyone else in sight is merrily chirping away, then what's the point of all the paraphernalia?

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,654 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@jazzi said:
    What's all the recent fuss over Camera 2 API (the term alone is so damn pretentious)? This has been around since Android 5. We're on the Operation System's 7th version going on to the 8th and suddenly there seems to be a facination with that API.

A phone is primarily a communications device and in my view, the focus should be on ensuring first and foremost, that it excels at performing that function. Optional extras are fine and desirable but if I can't make or receive a call due to dodgy harware or radio signal constantly drops when everyone else in sight is merrily chirping away, then what's the point of all the paraphernalia?

@jazzi all the things that you said are also true. The reason why we want the Camera2 API is so that we can use the Google camera app and it's HDR + feature. It's exactly what the A7 needs to take better low light pictures in particular. If you have seen picture comparisons with and without Google's HDR + from various phone models you would see why. The differences are amazing. If the Camera2 API has been out since Android 5 as you said it's even more ridiculous that the A7 doesn't have it.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I didn't vote because my answer is maybe. If it's a phone with good enough specs, sure I'll buy it. I don't use the camera very often, and don't see that changing very much. So I would love to have the camera2.api, I have seen the comparisons and think it's a great software tool. But is it needed in order for me to purchase a device? No. I just think it's ridiculous that ZTE doesn't allow it in the first place.

• saeedtedsaeedted DallasPosts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2017 11:27PM
    Yes

If the phone's features are good enough for me to buy then yes probably. For instance, in the end, chose the Axon over the Oneplus for the hardware: DAC, battery, speakers, and warranty. If I cared about software more than I would have chosen Oneplus instead.

Yes

I'm just speculating here but I reckon that ZTE with their first foray in the "flagship" sphere opted to focus on certain factors. Thus we got a superb screen, outstanding audio and top hardware specs at the price point. It is not surprising therefore that there would be a compromise on some aspects. Admittedly the camera is not the best on a mobile device. However it does a decent job in well lit settings and features optical image stabilisatiation.

I'll grab another device with a similar specification philosophy - providing of course it performs well as a ... phone :) - irrespective of the camera API.

• louisdlouisd Ashburn, VAPosts: 985 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@jazzi said:
    What's all the recent fuss over Camera 2 API (the term alone is so damn pretentious)?

The name is the name, it's the 2nd Camera API, the first was just called Camera API. What do you want it called? Banana?

And you're right, it has been around a while, so why isn't it available on the A7?

And why do we want it? So we're not stuck with the ZTE Camera. The API allows for things like manual focus and other "advanced" (but really basic) features with 3rd party apps. Without it, we're locked into the lackluster ZTE camera.

No

@jazzi said:
    I'm just speculating here but I reckon that ZTE with their first foray in the "flagship" sphere opted to focus on certain > factors.

Just so we're clear here. The means of activating this for users is a simple change in a config file. No addition development, no "focus", literally changing a couple of lines in a file. It's absurd that ZTE hasn't done it to this point and that those of us that want to use 3rd party camera apps have to use a 3rd party ROM.

No

@jazzi said:
    I'm just speculating here but I reckon that ZTE with their first foray in the "flagship" sphere opted to focus on certain factors. Thus we got a superb screen, outstanding audio and top hardware specs at the price point. It is not surprising therefore that there would be a compromise on some aspects. Admittedly the camera is not the best on a mobile device. However it does a decent job in well lit settings and features optical image stabilisatiation.

I'll grab another device with a similar specification philosophy - providing of course it performs well as a ... phone :) - irrespective of the camera API.

Except that there is no cost to ZTE to use the Camera2 API. It's just programming.

Yes

Interesting we didn't keep hearing or seeing "Camera 1 API" for the first iteration. Maybe "Banana" would have made the current version less like something radically innovative.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, the camera evidently was not a priority area for ZTE. The Camera 2 API was indeed built into Android 5 (Lollipop) and as such does not require wizardry to have it enabled. However some work and adjustments are required. ZTE apparently was not interested in going down that route.

Personally I find they still offered plenty. Some top OEM flagships are still being released with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage which makes the Axon 7 still relevant from a hardware standpoint. Oh it features Nougat 7.1.1 too, meaning that the software isn't exactly shabby either.

Maybe that will change down the line but I've never really taken phone cameras too seriously. In my view (forgive the lame pun) they're highly convenient "point-and-shoots" and many, including the Axon 7, even without C2A, do a good enough job. If I have to do a photoshoot - although I'm less into that these days - I will pick up a Canon or Nikon.

The same goes for phone speakers. I am not bothered about them (front or bottom/top facing) because I mostly use headphones.

No

@jazzi said:
    Interesting we didn't keep hearing or seeing "Camera 1 API" for the first iteration. Maybe "Banana" would have made the current version less like something radically innovative.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, the camera evidently was not a priority area for ZTE. The Camera 2 API was indeed built into Android 5 (Lollipop) and as such does not require wizardry to have it enabled. However some work and adjustments are required. ZTE apparently was not interested in going down that route.

Personally I find they still offered plenty. Some top OEM flagships are still being released with 4GB RAM and 64GB storage which makes the Axon 7 still relevant from a hardware standpoint. Oh it features Nougat 7.1.1 too, meaning that the software isn't exactly shabby either.

Maybe that will change down the line but I've never really taken phone cameras too seriously. In my view (forgive the lame pun) they're highly convenient "point-and-shoots" and many, including the Axon 7, even without C2A, do a good enough job. If I have to do a photoshoot - although I'm less into that these days - I will pick up a Canon or Nikon.

The same goes for phone speakers. I am not bothered about them (front or bottom/top facing) because I mostly use headphones.

@jazzi As you pointed out Camera2 API has been around since Lollipop so it's inexcusable for ZTE to not use it. I'm like you with regards to the camera. Like you said point and shoot. At this point though it's the only camera I have so it would be nice if I could reliably take an occasional low light picture and have it be decent. The Google camera app with its HDR + would provide that.
    You mentioned the speakers not being important to you and they are the most important to me. I respect your choices with what's important to you about a phone but you come across as though we should all have the same opinion as you.

No

@jazzi said:

Seriously? The original iPhone was the iPhone. The original Moto X was the Moto X. People don't label the "1st" until the 2nd comes. Is the iPhone 8 pretentious because of the 8? Is the Moto X 4th Gen pretention because of the 4th? This is just a dumb arguement.

Which is a perfectly reasonable position for YOU, which is why the poll has two choices. I, on the other hand, don't think it's a reasonable choice. There is no cost. There is no work. On a 3rd party ROM, you can literally enable it with 20 seconds of work. ZTE could take the same 20 seconds and do the same.

No

@louisd said:

@jazzi said:

Seriously? The original iPhone was the iPhone. The original Moto X was the Moto X. People don't label the "1st" until the 2nd comes. Is the iPhone 8 pretentious because of the 8? Is the Moto X 4th Gen pretention because of the 4th? This is just a dumb arguement.

Which is a perfectly reasonable position for YOU, which is why the poll has two choices. I, on the other hand, don't think it's a reasonable choice. There is no cost. There is no work. On a 3rd party ROM, you can literally enable it with 20 seconds of work. ZTE could take the same 20 seconds and do the same.

@louisd I wish the Lineage ROM would add it also. I don't know why they haven't done so. Since I have 2 A7's with one running Lineage I would have the perfect comparison opportunity.

No

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @louisd I wish the Lineage ROM would add it also. I don't know why they haven't done so. Since I have 2 A7's with one running Lineage I would have the perfect comparison opportunity.

Fairly easy to do on Lineage. https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/module-camera2api-enabler-t3656651

No

@louisd said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Fairly easy to do on Lineage. https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/module-camera2api-enabler-t3656651

You're not suggesting that I could do that are you @louisd? I don't have the necessary skills. But if it's that easy I wonder why it's not included in the Lineage ROM? Lineage is updated every Monday so I'll see tonight if it's been included. Thanks for posting that.

• coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, Texas Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Yes I would.... but only if the device allowed Root access.....

No

@jimlloyd40 said:

@louisd said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

You're not suggesting that I could do that are you @louisd? I don't have the necessary skills. But if it's that easy I wonder why it's not included in the Lineage ROM? Lineage is updated every Monday so I'll see tonight if it's been included. Thanks for posting that.

The worst part about it is, it looks like it's just one line that they have to add to build. Prop is there any way to edit that file without voiding the warranty?

• DrakenFXDrakenFX Los Angeles, CA Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

YES, Camera2 API would not stop me from buying another flagship, BUT not been able to unlock bootloader will defiantly stop me from getting one.

@louisd
    Camera2 API is NOT only for LineageOS and you neither need Magisk to use or install Camera2 API..... You can do so with just having Root access and Mod. the build.prop.

No

@DrakenFX said:
    YES, Camera2 API would not stop me from buying another flagship, BUT not been able to unlock bootloader will defiantly stop me from getting one.

@louisd
    Camera2 API is NOT only for LineageOS and you neither need Magisk to use or install Camera2 API..... You can do so with just having Root access and Mod. the build.prop.

Is there a way to root your phone without losing the stuff that stored on it?

No

@foxtrotdragon said:

@DrakenFX said:

@louisd

Is there a way to root your phone without losing the stuff that stored on it?

Yes. There is an older thread that discusses that in the forum and I believe it had instructions. Sorry I can't remember the name of the thread. Or you can go to the XDA Developers website @foxtrotdragon.

• reiyerreiyer Posts: 4 ✭✭✭
    No

A software update to the Axon 7 adding the camera2 API should be possible, yes?

No

@reiyer said:

It should be, the fact that it hasn't been implemented yet makes me believe it's probably some sort of Licensing issue

No

@foxtrotdragon said:

@reiyer said:

It should be, the fact that it hasn't been implemented yet makes me believe it's probably some sort of Licensing issue

@foxtrotdragon no it's just an Android API and it's free to use. It's just a simple programming change.

• huludhulud Posts: 4 ✭✭✭
    No

@louisd said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

With this the new google camera would not crash, but hdr+ even though can be finally enabled doesn't work...still something missing from ZTE side

edited October 3, 2017 1:18PM
    No

@hulud said:

@louisd said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

With this the new google camera would not crash, but hdr+ even though can be finally enabled doesn't work...still something missing from ZTE side

@hulud is your phone running Lineage? If yours is stock the reason that the Google camera app won't work is because it's missing the Camera2 API.

No

@hulud said:

@louisd said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Not sure why you're having the issue. Works here.