Would you buy another ZTE "flagship" without the Camera2 API?

2»

Comments

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,441 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@louisd said:

@hulud said:

@louisd said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @louisd I wish the Lineage ROM would add it also. I don't know why they haven't done so. Since I have 2 A7's with one running Lineage I would have the perfect comparison opportunity.

Fairly easy to do on Lineage. https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/module-camera2api-enabler-t3656651

With this the new google camera would not crash, but hdr+ even though can be finally enabled doesn't work...still something missing from ZTE side

Not sure why you're having the issue. Works here.

@louisd does it work on yours because you did what you posted or is it working on Lineage now period?

• louisdlouisd Ashburn, VAPosts: 957 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@jimlloyd40 said:

@louisd said:

@hulud said:

@louisd said:

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @louisd I wish the Lineage ROM would add it also. I don't know why they haven't done so. Since I have 2 A7's with one running Lineage I would have the perfect comparison opportunity.

Fairly easy to do on Lineage. https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/module-camera2api-enabler-t3656651

With this the new google camera would not crash, but hdr+ even though can be finally enabled doesn't work...still something missing from ZTE side

Not sure why you're having the issue. Works here.

@louisd does it work on yours because you did what you posted or is it working on Lineage now period?

Because I have it rooted with Magisk and used the module.

• shoman94shoman94 MainePosts: 601 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Why am I not surprised at the results of this poll......

edited October 6, 2017 8:49PM
    No

@shoman94 said:
    Why am I not surprised at the results of this poll......

I don't know, why aren't you surprised at the results of this poll?

• jasonscarterjasonscarter Tallahassee FLPosts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

I would provided the output from the camera is good. Camera 2 API is not required to have a good smartphone camera, but it does help. Since dual cameras is all the rage now, I am more interested in what kind of dual camera set up ZTE would go with. I like LG's implementation with the wide angle.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 646 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@jasonscarter said:
    I would provided the output from the camera is good. Camera 2 API is not required to have a good smartphone camera, but it does help. Since dual cameras is all the rage now, I am more interested in what kind of dual camera set up ZTE would go with. I like LG's implementation with the wide angle.

You do realize that without the Camera 2 API there are many camera apps in the Google Play Store that would be completely useless on the Axon 7.

• foxtrotdragonfoxtrotdragon CanadaPosts: 18 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Camera2api is absolutely necessary, to have a top end quality camera, that is convenient, you can still get great pictures by dinking around in manual mode, but for a large majority of the people they do not have that luxury when taking cameras on their mobile phone.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter Tallahassee FLPosts: 585 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

@stevec5375 said:

@jasonscarter said:

You do realize that without the Camera 2 API there are many camera apps in the Google Play Store that would be completely useless on the Axon 7.

Always use the app the OEM provides, so not a big deal on app access to me

• ryampolskyryampolsky Posts: 158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@DrakenFX said:

@louisd
    Camera2 API is NOT only for LineageOS and you neither need Magisk to use or install Camera2 API..... You can do so with just having Root access and Mod. the build.prop.

Just wondering. When you enable Camera2 API this way, does the ZTE camera app stop working? Because the only valid reason I can think of for ZTE not to enable it is if their camera app counts on the old API in a way that no longer works once you enable the new one. Then they would have had to do some serious programming on their camera app. Or can Camera1 and 2 both be enabled with no issues?

No

I installed lineage OS, and root, while you can enable camera2api things like HDR Plus on the Google camera app still don't work

No

@foxtrotdragon said:
    I installed lineage OS, and root, while you can enable camera2api things like HDR Plus on the Google camera app still don't work

I also have the HTC U11 and the Google camera app HDR + works on it but I really don't see any difference compared to the built-in camera app.

No

Yeah I don't think it's as simple as just enabling camera2api, I wonder if the hardware has to be specifically coded to work with it within its drivers.

No

@foxtrotdragon said:
    Yeah I don't think it's as simple as just enabling camera2api, I wonder if the hardware has to be specifically coded to work with it within its drivers.

But it is. Works like a charm on the A7 with root and some minor changes to a config file. REALLY SUPER DUPER ULTRA simple.

No

@louisd said:

@foxtrotdragon said:

But it is. Works like a charm on the A7 with root and some minor changes to a config file. REALLY SUPER DUPER ULTRA simple.

@louisd I don't have the knowledge to do that but it would be very helpful if you could post some pictures taken with the stock camera and the one with the HDR + just so everyone could see what we're missing.

No

@jimlloyd40 said:

@louisd said:

@foxtrotdragon said:

@louisd I don't have the knowledge to do that but it would be very helpful if you could post some pictures taken with the stock camera and the one with the HDR + just so everyone could see what we're missing.

I'd love to, but my A7 bit the dust. Screen is nothing but green. I will get it fixed and do exactly that, but it may be a little while.

No

@louisd said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@louisd said:

@foxtrotdragon said:

I'd love to, but my A7 bit the dust. Screen is nothing but green. I will get it fixed and do exactly that, but it may be a little while.

Could you point me in the general direction of that? I enabled camera2api doing that build. Prop Edit but that didn't work for me

• freezafreeza Pasadena, CAPosts: 165 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Nope. But then again as long as it's rootable, i can add it in myself

No

HDR+ still doesn't seem to work no matter what I do, there is still some underlying issue

No

@foxtrotdragon said:
    HDR+ still doesn't seem to work no matter what I do, there is still some underlying issue

Not sure what to tell you, but it works. You can see some images using the Google Camera with HDR+ enabled from @DrakenFX in this thread: https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/12272/shotonaxon/p52

No

@louisd said:

@foxtrotdragon said:

Not sure what to tell you, but it works. You can see some images using the Google Camera with HDR+ enabled from @DrakenFX in this thread: https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/12272/shotonaxon/p52

Hm, I will have to dig some more but even on xda forums I'm finding nil

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

Why not? The only reason everyone cares all of a sudden is because of that HDR+ port from the Pixel. If ZTE can make a great camera, I don't see what the problem is.

No

@busyman said:
    Why not? The only reason everyone cares all of a sudden is because of that HDR+ port from the Pixel. If ZTE can make a great camera, I don't see what the problem is.

That's exactly the point @busyman. If ZTE made a camera that performed as well as the HDR + in the Google camera app we wouldn't need the Google camera app. That's the problem. The A7 does not take very good low light photos because of the pixel size and the processing. The Google camera app with HDR + which includes the processing solves that problem.

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes

@jimlloyd40 said:

@busyman said:

That's exactly the point @busyman. If ZTE made a camera that performed as well as the HDR + in the Google camera app we wouldn't need the Google camera app. That's the problem. The A7 does not take very good low light photos because of the pixel size and the processing. The Google camera app with HDR + which includes the processing solves that problem.

Okay, but this poll was specifically asking whether one would purchase the Axon 7 successor despite the lack of the api.

No

@busyman said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@busyman said:

Okay, but this poll was specifically asking whether one would purchase the Axon 7 successor despite the lack of the api.

Excellent point @busyman.

2»