Stand alone navigation?

newtozte730564newtozte730564 AmericaPosts: 23 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, I'm a bit confused. Nothing new, haha. But, I have been reading reviews of this watch, and several have mentioned that the ZTE Quartz has stand alone navigation, that can be used when not linked to one's mobile phone. Indeed, the frightening tale posted in this forum from one user, whose navigation saved his life, would also suggest these watches know where they are (although that was maybe due to a 911 situation).

Yet, on mine, it will not find its location unless I am paired to my phone, so, for example taking it on a hike or something, or even a walk about town, is not practical unless I have my phone with me, in which case, I may as well use the phone (my usual critique of smart watches as devices that require a phone anyway, and the phone performs most "watch" tasks more effectively, not to mention can do things that the watch can't), making the watch a bit useless, really.

Were some versions of this watch able to master independent navigation, or are reviews citing this feature just wrong? Clearly, it seems the version I have does not support navigation, or location finding, without my phone.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 4,077 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed you do need to have your smartphone connected to use navigation on the Quartz. It does not have standalone capabilities.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

just want to add a little bit info. The watch has built in GPS, however, in order to use navigation, you would still need to pair it with a phone to get the navigation route information. I think this is due to how google map on the watch is not yet been updated so it can function without the phone.

• newtozte730564newtozte730564 AmericaPosts: 23 ✭✭✭✭✭

@samsamha said:
    just want to add a little bit info. The watch has built in GPS, however, in order to use navigation, you would still need to pair it with a phone to get the navigation route information. I think this is due to how google map on the watch is not yet been updated so it can function without the phone.

Thanks so much! That certainly explains the conflicting opinion, since I think reviewers noting it has built in GPS are assuming that means independent navigation can occur. Further, it seems to be have been a promise of AW 2.0, to increase independent use of devices, to allow for standalone navigation. In fact, it seems assumed that such was part of the AW overhaul.

For example, I share an excerpt from this article, from Android PIT, which stated, in using Google Maps on an Android Wear 2.0 smartwatch: "It’s easy to get turn-by-turn directions on your Android Wear smartwatch. Plus, with Android Wear 2.0, you can do it without being connected to your smartphone if your smartwatch has GPS built-in." So, clearly it seems some think it is possible.

And, given that I've read reviews of our device that stated it to be possible, it seems the assumption is that it was intended, at least, to be possible, but the ball has been dropped somewhere along the way to executing it.

The Huawei 2 is supposed to be able to do it, but, in doing some reading, I see the same complaint from owners of that device, that the watch won't navigate without a phone.

I wonder if this will be fixed with a software update, or if our device just doesn't have the capability due to some limitation of the build? It's odd, because under "Location" it even lists one of the location options as using the "Device Only" so, again, this tells me it was supposed to work, or was intended to be an option.

I tried asking over at Google Help Community, but their submission form is broken, and only produces an error when trying to post a new question. So, thanks Google, for that, haha. I found another forum discussing Android Wear, over at xda-developers, so I posted the question there.

It seems a pretty basic function to provide, honestly, to make a smartwatch effective as an independent device. I mean, it's nice I can place calls to it, and from it, without my phone, but, once again, if I have to drag my phone along anyway, then I'm much more likely to leave the watch at home, since it's easier to navigate already with the larger screen real estate.

Can anyone get a definitive answer on whether or not this will be addressed at some point, in either a future update to AW 2.0, to Maps, or even to the device itself?

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 2,363 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@newtozte730564

Unfortunately, no one can say for sure unless you are Google. Google does not allow much customization on Android Wear so it is up to Google to see if they would add that to the future firmware or if Google Map on the wear will support this.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Exactly what @samsamha is saying this isn't about the OS though but about the Google Maps app. It appears to need to be tethered to your phone and not a standalone app on the watch. So it's up to Google to make its own Maps app standalone.

• newtozte730564newtozte730564 AmericaPosts: 23 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hopefully they will. Odd that the AW 2.0 overhaul is being billed as capable of such. Makes me think it at least was meant to happen or rumored to be happening, at some point. Would make a big difference in use of the watch.

• schwartzasherschwartzasher United StatesPosts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

No all you do is move the map to the spot u want to go to and press and hold the screen. Then click navigate

• schwartzasherschwartzasher United StatesPosts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

NVM said connect to phone. Smh