Hiya Doesn't Block Scam Calls

ggregggreg Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 6, 2017 2:48PM in Axon

I have Hiya set to block all calls identified as spam, scam, etc. I also have the app excluded from all battery optimizations.

Yet even calls identified as "Scam Likely" by my provider (T-Mobile) are not blocked. After I manually terminate this kind of a call the app will notify that a scam call was blocked, and a record of this will show up in the app itself. Feels like Hiya is a scam all it's own.

Anyone have the same experience? Any fixes?

Also, after a missed legit call, Hiya creates a redundant notification of a missed call, in addition to the main dialer. Any way to stop that?

Comments

• freezafreeza Pasadena, CAPosts: 183 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya does really suck. They need to replace it with a solution that actually works.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter Tallahassee FLPosts: 969 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya was provided as a solution since a lot of the users wanted a feature of the Google dialer on Nexus/Pixel devices. I don't have any of the problems you mentioned and it seems to be working well for me. Are you on the latest version of Hiya?

• razor512razor512 New York Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 6, 2017 3:43PM

It depends on the settings, by default it will identify it will allow but warn of spam, and block known fraud.

Sadly lately all spam filters have been having trouble with spoofed numbers, as what spammers are doing no is using the same area code as you and generating random numbers after it.
    This is done because spam call filtering programs cannot globally block those numbers for you as those are numbers that are being used by regular people.

For example, there were times when I got a spam call where the auto dialer spoofed itself as my own number.

Hiya works best when using the default dialer that the phone comes with, and when you allow the various permissions that it will ask you for (but for some reason only once and give no errors when you deny them).

The main difficulty is due to how phone companies handle spam callers and spoofed numbers. A spoofed number only impacts the person receiving the call, but the phone company can always get access to the true source of the call. They can easily block spoofed calls, but there is no money in doing that thus it is easier for them to simply do nothing.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 326 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Hiya is working pretty good for me. I also don't have the problems that the OP is having. If only my intermittent microphone issue could be solved so I can actually use my A7 as a phone.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,024 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I have noticed that my Hiya is not working as well lately also. I would say @razor512 could be right about what is happening. I've noticed the numbers being spoofed.

• ggregggreg Posts: 141 ✭✭✭✭✭

The instance I talked about in my example of Hiya's dysfunction, is where the incoming call is literally labeled "Scam Likely" as caller ID by the provider, and once I manually disconnected, Hiya had no problem instantly creating a record of a "blocked call" as if it blocked it. This has nothing to do with numbers being spoofed.

I deleted all Hiya cache/data and started anew to exclude any data corruption issues. We'll see...

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@razor512 said:
    It depends on the settings, by default it will identify it will allow but warn of spam, and block known fraud.

Sadly lately all spam filters have been having trouble with spoofed numbers, as what spammers are doing no is using the same area code as you and generating random numbers after it.
    This is done because spam call filtering programs cannot globally block those numbers for you as those are numbers that are being used by regular people.

For example, there were times when I got a spam call where the auto dialer spoofed itself as my own number.

Hiya works best when using the default dialer that the phone comes with, and when you allow the various permissions that it will ask you for (but for some reason only once and give no errors when you deny them).

The main difficulty is due to how phone companies handle spam callers and spoofed numbers. A spoofed number only impacts the person receiving the call, but the phone company can always get access to the true source of the call. They can easily block spoofed calls, but there is no money in doing that thus it is easier for them to simply do nothing.

Frankly, I think the phone companies should be held liable for spoofed calls. It is FRAUD! People are falsely identifying themselves and then trying to rip others off. I always make sure both my home phone number and my cell phone numbers are in the Federal Do Not Call list and the Texas Do Not Call list. That at least helps some. But you wouldn't believe the number of callers that I have blocked on my home number.

• coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, Texas Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ggreg Hi,

The Hiya app is actually working and it has to learn as it goes. I still receive some spam calls but that is because the spamming caller is constantly changing numbers.

changing/spoofing numbers by spammers and scammers

This is not what's happening in the problem that I am describing. The numbers that Hiya fails to block are already recorded in its database. This is easy to check by tapping on the phone number in Hiya's call log and looking at records of when this number was reported as fraudulent. These numbers have already been reported for days or weeks, yet still get through, only to be recorded as blocked by Hiya after being dealt with manually.

Not to say that changing/spoofing numbers by spammers and scammers is not a real problem; however, this thread is about a different issue.

Back to the topic at hand: I've decided to just disable Hiya and try a different solution from the playstore. Pretty typical but still disappointing to discover yet another of ZTE's half-аrse implementations of features that could have been done better if they just left it to someone else.

• razor512razor512 New York Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

In this the best option is to test to ensure that it is functioning properly.
    If you can, manually block a known number that you have, e.g., if you have another phone number, block that and then try calling your smartphone.

I currently use these settings, and so far today, it has blocked every normal scam caller with the only ones ringing, being the ones with randomized number from my area code (spoofed numbers).

PS, if you report a number as being a scam caller, it will not automatically block it. the way their network works, is it looks for a large number of reports from many different areas. This is to avoid having private numbers from non-scam callers from being blocked.

If they didn't do that, you would end up with the service blocking every single phone number on earth

If the application fails to block a number that you manually add, then you may need to clear the cache and data from the hiya app, and then manually launch the app again to redo the setup.

edited October 12, 2017 12:54PM

@razor512 said:
    PS, if you report a number as being a scam caller, it will not automatically block it. the way their network works, is it looks for a large number of reports from many different areas. This is to avoid having private numbers from non-scam callers from being blocked.

If they didn't do that, you would end up with the service blocking every single phone number on earth

I do understand this. This is why I specifically state that not only do these numbers exist in Hiya's database (as multiple reports), but also that Hiya blocks the number retroactively and reports it as a number that it itself blocked.

If the application fails to block a number that you manually add, then you may need to clear the cache and data from the hiya app, and then manually launch the app again to redo the setup.

I'll try to run some tests with a blocked known number; however I already cleared data and reset all preferences, with no change to this behavior.

• wrbirdwrbird Posts: 12 ✭✭✭✭

I've been noticing the same problem that the OP has. Hiya used to work great, but something changed and is now worthless.