Introducing the ZTE Axon M

AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Moderator Posts: 1,151 admin
edited October 20, 2017 2:42PM in Axon M

Transforming Your Mobile Experience with Axon M

Mobile has completely taken over our worlds, in large part due to the rise of smartphones. And every year, smartphones continue to evolve - bigger screens, dual cameras, wireless charging, and more. While these changes are beneficial, they’re highly incremental. After many years of gradual steps, now is the time for a revolutionary change that challenges the status quo.

Today, ZTE introduced the new ZTE Axon M - a foldable, dual-screen smartphone that transforms your mobile experience. Instead of one screen that reduces your mobile experience or one larger screen that limits portability, ZTE has challenged this compromise. The Axon M has two screens that unfold into a large mobile, tablet-like experience when you need it, and yet you’re able to fold them together when you don’t. As a result, true multitasking on your smartphone has just been brought to a whole new level.

Important note: challenging the status quo does not come easy, both for companies and for consumers. But now that ZTE has taken care of the technological challenge, we shift our attention to you. To help us all warm up to the endless possibilities that a foldable smartphone can bring to our mobile experience, here’s a quick introduction to stretch our imagination:

• 2 screens that unfold into 1 giant screen
  • 4 viewing modes: extended, dual, mirror, and traditional
  • 2 orientations: portrait or landscape

What could this mean for you? Here are just a few sample scenarios...

Watching the big game while adjusting your fantasy football lineup?
No problem, dual mode has you covered, without the risk of missing out on an important play

The kids fighting over the best view of Curious George at the restaurant?
No problem, mirror mode streams the same content to both screens, allowing your kids to sit quietly on opposite sides

Streaming YouTube and need to enter a reminder in your calendar?
No problem, dual mode enables you to enter a calendar entry without pausing or exiting your video

Playing a game but needing to squint to catch all the action?
No problem, extended mode gives you bigger action and better interactions

Updating a spreadsheet and need to copy/paste from an email?
No problem, dual mode ensures you don’t jump back and forth between apps or squint using split screens (if even supported)

Just needing a great traditional smartphone experience?
No worries, as the ZTE Axon M delivers a seamless experience without sacrificing anything

Aside from the countless number of use cases left to your imagination, ZTE stands by its ongoing commitment for timely software updates and continued support for app developers to optimize for the various modes that the Axon M enables. If you’re a developer, check out our dedicated place for dedicated collaboration. If you’re a regular consumer, you can fully expect greater number of apps that are optimized for the Axon M. This is the just the beginning of even more possibilities that are in store with this new foldable, dual-screen experience.

Lastly, we want to thank the many Z-Community fans who participated in focus groups, beta tests, and launch preparation for this new foldable smartphone category. Doing something different takes ingenuity and boldness, all of which our select group of fans have contributed greatly towards. As we continue to iterate in this new category, we look forward to even more Z-Community fans to help contribute towards future enhancements on both the hardware and software front. Until then, check out the new Axon M and reply with your own sample scenarios that you look forward to testing out!

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD USA Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2017 10:03AM

Cool! B)
    Waiting for this page to go live. We want the full specs! :)
    http://www.ztedevice.com/axonm

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,024 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2017 11:16AM

Very Cool, I wish they had a T-Mobile model. I would love to test it out!

edited October 17, 2017 10:28AM
  • jasonscarterjasonscarter Tallahassee FLPosts: 970 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

And it does have a fingerprint reader. It is just on the side of the device.

• samsamhasamsamha Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Can we say, double the screen double the fun.

• jasonejasone Tennessee Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome, I love seeing something new and innovative in mobile technology. I don't think I'm too keen on that big seam down the middle but the dual-screen multitasking looks super useful.

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I must say that the Axon M is the coolest thing I've seen all year. Good job ZTE! Way to innovate!

• coldheat06coldheat06 Fort Worth, Texas Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jasonscarter said:
    And it does have a fingerprint reader. It is just on the side of the device.

Yep the fingerprint reader is on the power button

• jasonejasone Tennessee Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Yeah, that's a bit odd with the fingerprint scanner on the side but other phones have done it like Sony phones and the Robin. I've never used one like that before and curious how well it works. Of course, with two screens it's not like you had anywhere else to put it haha.

• beachtraxbeachtrax SoCalPosts: 17 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2017 8:55PM

Welcome to the "fold".

• You know, I'm a bit annoyed, because I submitted the idea for a dual screen phone back during Project CSX that used existing LCD screens instead of bendable ones...

edited October 17, 2017 11:50AM

Sure!

@underthehill said:
    You know, I'm a bit annoyed, because I submitted the idea for a dual screen phone back during Project CSX that used existing LCD screens instead of bendable ones...

This idea has been done before. I think in 2011 but I can't remember which company did it.

edited October 17, 2017 11:49AM

@DoppelgangerD said:

@samsamha said:
    Can we say, double the screen double the fun.

While chewing Doublemint gum?

You remember those old Doublemint commercials from the 80s and 90s with the two twins? First thing I thought of when you said Doublemint.

@underthehill said:
    You know, I'm a bit annoyed, because I submitted the idea for a dual screen phone back during Project CSX that used existing LCD screens instead of bendable ones...

This idea has been done before. I think in 2011 but I can't remember which company did it.

• freezafreeza Pasadena, CAPosts: 183 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sorry guys, but this phone is going to flop.

@freeza said:

Did you watch the live presentation or the video reviews posted?
    Personally I think it will be very niche to start. The average user will not need it, but I can see many power users getting into it. I would find it very useful to have if I traveled via air a lot, or just sitting killing time in a cafe or anywhere, on the bus, L, subway, etc...
    I can see it not appealing to everyone, but I don't think it will flop, and that's not a kissbutt to ZTE response,
    but my honest opinion.

• wings4anniewings4annie Orange,caPosts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@DoppelgangerD said:

@freeza said:

Personally I think it will be very niche to start. The average user will not need it, but I can see many power users getting into it. I would find it very useful to have if I traveled via air a lot, or just sitting killing time in a cafe or anywhere, on the bus, L, subway, etc...
    I can see it not appealing to everyone, but I don't think it will flop, and that's not a kissbutt to ZTE response,
    but my honest opinion.

I agree @DoppelgangerD
    If I didn't use my smartphone for my accounting. I probably would not purchase the device, but I can see potential.
    And I'm very impressed.

@wings4annie said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@freeza said:

but my honest opinion.

I agree @DoppelgangerD
    If I didn't use my smartphone for my accounting. I probably would not purchase the device, but I can see potential.
    And I'm very impressed.

Yes, it's not for everyone, but they are definitely going to sell some. Honestly the biggest hurdle is the price.
    I know multiple people who sit and play on their phone and tablet at the same time, just like they showed in the presentation from ZTE. My 13 years old son is one of them, be he ain't getting a $700 phone for Xmas, lol.
    Some people will though I'm sure.

What kind of speakers? Two one and where?

• louisdlouisd Ashburn, VAPosts: 985 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@westside80 said:

@underthehill said:

Kyocera Echo

• keithisreal2013keithisreal2013 Austin, TexasPosts: 149 ✭✭✭✭✭

This device looks amazing. Looking forward to the reviews of this device.

Umm lol. obviously none of you remember the failed attempt that Kyocera had with their "folding phone" on Sprint. It was a flop, and this one will be too. No power user will want this phone. It is using the dated Snapdragon 821 as opposed to the 835. What power user will want an old processor with dual 1080p displays that aren't even AMOLED? Please enlighten me as to what demographic this mid-range device is targeted towards? 4GB of RAM is supposed to compliment multitasking on a dual screen phone? Right. I'll be here in about 4 months to say "i told you so." Mark my words, this phone will flop and sell poorly.

In case some of you need reminding, here's the Kyocera echo, which...not surprisingly flopped

https://www.engadget.com/2011/02/07/sprints-kyocera-echo-dual-screen-android-phone-announced-we-go/

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 107 ✭✭✭✭✭

This phone is very unique! I second the wish for a T-Mobile model!

@DoppelgangerD said:

@freeza said:
    In case some of you need reminding, here's the Kyocera echo, which...not surprisingly flopped

https://www.engadget.com/2011/02/07/sprints-kyocera-echo-dual-screen-android-phone-announced-we-go/

2011 !!!!! LoL ... Not even comparable IMO.
    I'm not saying the M is going to be the best thing since sliced bread, but c'mon man, seriously.
    I would also be willing to bet that if it sells enough, it will be improved upon in future iterations.

5.2" 1080p display would be just fine since it won't be used for VR.
    Highly doubtful that you would even be able to tell the dif between 821 and 835 99.9% of the time.
    By "poweruser", I mean those who use their phone often for many things, including multi tasking,
    not those who feel they need the highest end components available for no particular reason.
    AMOLED causes burn in. I prefer not to have it.
    4GB of RAM should be sufficient for most tasks, but I guess we'll find out once user experience is put up from actual owners.

Oh my 2011?
    Technical has advanced so much in 6 years.
    I'm going to give the device a chance.