Introducing the ZTE Axon M

Comments

• Definitely an interesting device!

• freezafreeza Pasadena, CAPosts: 183 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

To each their own. I will be waiting for the "I told you so" period. No idea how any of you can see this being a win. We must be living in completely different realities. :)

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@louisd said:

@westside80 said:

@underthehill said:
    You know, I'm a bit annoyed, because I submitted the idea for a dual screen phone back during Project CSX that used existing LCD screens instead of bendable ones...

This idea has been done before. I think in 2011 but I can't remember which company did it.

Kyocera Echo

Yep, that's it.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter Tallahassee FLPosts: 970 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2017 2:59PM

It may sell well...or it might not sell well. Time will tell. Depends on what kind of marketing ATT puts behind it. And selling well to ZTE and ATT, might have different meanings than the words "selling well" to something like the Galaxy S8. I am sure they both have reasonable expectations of how many devices they think they can sell. So it could be a success to both, even if the sale numbers are not big in terms of other phones on the market. If ATT throws some kind of Direct TV deal in with the purchase, it could get some good sales this holiday season. Are they going to sell millions and millions of units? Most likely not (while it would be cool if they did!), but success comes in different forms, and ZTE and ATT have been in this game long enough to have realistic sales goals I am sure for this device.

edited October 17, 2017 3:22PM

@jasonscarter said:
    It may sell well...or it might not sell well. Time will tell. Depends on what kind of marketing ATT puts behind it. And selling well to ZTE and ATT, might have different meanings than the words "selling well" to something like the Galaxy S8. I am sure they both have reasonable expectations of how many devices they think they can sell. So it could be a success to both, even if the sale numbers are not big in terms of other phones on the market. If ATT throws some kind of Direct TV deal in with the purchase, it could get some good sales this holiday season. Are they going to sell millions and millions of units? Most likely not (while it would be cool if they did!), but success comes in different forms, and ZTE and ATT have been in this game long enough to have realistic sales goals I am sure for this device.

Nice optimism, but if you apply this to every other phone manufacturer out there, no one would lose.

HTC has been on a down slope for years and no matter what they do, they can't shake that. Small success here and there doesn't fix the larger issue that they aren't producing phones people want. I'm not sure if people here just have blind ZTE loyalty or not, but I can tell you right now from being IN the field, people do not want a folding phone with mid-range specs. Hell, I would bet not many people will care enough to get this phone to begin with. If you look at things from a business perspective with logic and loyalty aside, this phone does nothing that hasn't been tried before: see Kyocera. Regardless of the time that passes, this iteration is no different than Kyocera's attempt. I can all but guarantee very few if any developers will jump on this and optimize their apps for this display. I noticed in the video it said ZTE is the one that optimized X amount of apps. Developers won't care about this, it isn't going to start a trend, an and it will fade away like the phone before it. Why? It's too cumbersome. You now have to worry about a case for this type of phone, which none exists. Then you have to worry about dropping and breaking not one but two displays. Then there's the hinge long-term quality. Then there's the usefulness. It's a gimmick and novelty will fade quite quickly. There's no included or built-in stylus. Battery life is going to be very questionable. Look, i'm not trying to hate on the device. It's a brave attempt to innovate, but if you can't see the writing on the wall with this device, I'm not exactly sure what to say. They should have focused all of their efforts on a proper successor to the Axon 8 instead of this device. ZTE can barely keep up with updates on their other phones, what exactly makes you think they will not give up on this?

Successor to the Axon 7 I meant.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,024 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jasonscarter said:

@jasonscarter Well Said!!

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Madison, Wisconsin, USAPosts: 604 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This is the most exciting phone announcement I have seen in years. It's about time somebody shook things up.

HTC still keeps trying to compete with Samsung. That ship has sailed. Completely different in my opinion. HTC has not been realistic with their market position.

A successor to Axon 7 will come I am sure. Carriers like ATT request specific devices sometimes.

Trifold mode battleship game! You heard it here first folks! LOL

• redbirdredbird MichianaPosts: 37 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well I wish you well with this, but I just eh....
    Not for me I guess.

edited October 17, 2017 6:08PM

@redbird said:
    Well I wish you well with this, but I just eh....
    Not for me I guess.

Same here. Everyone else seems to think it's a fantastic idea. Patting each other on the back with likes for every Pro-Axon M post out there lol. At least try and be objective about it.

I can't even imagine a situation where I'm thinking "gosh, it sure would be nice if i had a folding dual screen right about now!" However I, along with many others, are currently in a situation where we're thinking "gosh, it sure would be nice to get some security patches and updates right about now!" The fact that they're so focused on trying to get this device out there while completely neglecting the true flagship of last year says a lot about their commitment to their devices. Good luck receiving long-term support on a device like that. I can only imagine how long security updates and OS updates will take to reach it. The Axon 7 is practically running stock Android and not once have we heard any news about Oreo or a security update to, oh you know, patch critical vulnerabilities currently out there.

Never mind the fact that everyone that seems to love this phone on this thread is pretty much supporting carrier exclusivity. Great job guys.

• bgtxbgtx Posts: 20 ✭✭✭✭

Incredible. I am watching the ZTE launch on Youtube, and the sales guy (rolling eyes at his attempts to be witty btw) says blatantly that ZTE created the "folding smart phone" concept. WTH is he thinking!? I know sales guys BS, worked with too many of them, but that was way over the top. Kyocera Echo, which has already been mentioned.

Now, my .02 cents on this phone. I REALLY REALLY want this phone to succeed! Personally, I would benefit from it as well as my peers based on the ability to present content with people without banging heads, like with a normal smart phone.

The problem I have is, with the current tech they are already using with the Axon 7, they could have used some of that......UNLESS, they know that another manufacturer is coming with a similar device and they wanted to get something out to market quick; beating them to the punch. It happens all the time and I know enough about business to know this didn't just pop up because they really think it's the bees knees!

Also, I am NOT an AT&T fan because I have been working with them for years on the networking side. Too big, too much middle management, and they aren't the largest provider. This will be the biggest flaw for ZTE during this venture IMO. Most users use VZW or TMobile, or their BYOD service carriers because they have more options for 3rd party phones, lower prices, with easier band support. I bet ZTE did this though because VZW is even a bigger pain in the rear to deal with and look what happened with the Axon 7. I can't see this streaming TV gimmick bringing in that many sales, since people use Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, and Hulu type services. Why pay for another service on top of those? Many companies use AT&T for their employee phones, maybe they are taking that into consideration.

I have worked for major branded tech companies, I know how engineering and development works enough to know that in time, the truth will come out about why they used old tech instead of the newest stuff.

Spec wise, I would have though they would have used the 835/540, with a larger battery, and at least 6 Gb. Xiaomi, Lenovo, Meizu, Huaweii, Elephone..... They are pumping out good, low cost phones, with the latest CPU/GPUs, 6 -8 Mg memory, with 2k screens. ZTE saying this is such a innovative phone and then put in old tech makes no sense. Whoever they have advising them must not stay in tune with the phone reviewers out there on what people expect. This phone isn't marketed towards grandma and grandpa who chicken peck on their screen. Surely they know people will not be friendly to this rush on a first gen phone, at the cost of the public doing their R&D. That's not a good long term strategy.

As far as updates goes. ATT is the customer of ZTE in this case. And it will be up to them on how many software updates they request ZTE make available. A lot of that is negotiated up front before a carrier specific device is developed and delivered. Hopefully it does well and ATT keeps asking ZTE to keep it up to date.

With DirectTV, I am sure ATT will give this a pretty good marketing push. ZTE could not have got that going alone and keeping a device like this on the unlocked market.

Us more techy folks of course love unlocked devices, but a majority of buyers in the USA still buy their device through their carrier. That fact cannot be ignored.

I wish ZTE the best of luck on this device. The device isn't even out yet....lets wait and see. Its obviously not for everyone but still will be a cool device to have.

• ScantlyScarfFartScantlyScarfFart Yo mama anyusPosts: 1 ✭✭

anyone know of any news about the zte axon 8 and when it will come out

@ScantlyScarfFart said:
    anyone know of any news about the zte axon 8 and when it will come out

Nothing announced. Focus right now is getting the Axon M successfully launched. Figure we might hear something at CES 2018 or MWC 2018.

• saeedtedsaeedted DallasPosts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 17, 2017 8:24PM

@freeza said:
    Successor to the Axon 7 I meant.

Nope Axon M is standalone, Axon 7 successor is still to come (whenever that will be)

According to the Verge

I am pretty siked about this device. This is one of those devices that can not only serve niche use cases very well like the ZTE Spro projector. With this phones multi-tasking capability being off the charts I would have loved to see more RAM. I did not expect to see a high end smatphone debut with a TFT panel, that was a surprise (is that correct? AA says they are TFT but PocketNow says it is IPS)

Two use cases I commonly go through are reading Pocket articles in split screen while Youtube is loading (T-Mobile reception woes) and watching walthroughs for games that I am stuck on, while playing that game.

You can watch the youtube videos WHILE scrolling the comments-Picture in Picture be damned!
    You can put your phone in tent mode! Pop sockets can go to hell!

How will cases work? It's not going to be possible, isn't it. This sort of phone makes me wonder what ZTE would have accomplished if they were not concerned with the price of the devicey and just through all the trimmings at the Axon M: AMOLED; a Stylus, capability to stream to two devices at once, or have three displays on the device-the third being e-ink but Yota might hold the patent for that one.

@jasonscarter said:
    Snapdragon 821, 4GB of RAM, 64GB of storage with micro SD card slot

Dual 5.2 inch screens
    Single 20MP camera
    Battery: 3180mAh with Quick Charge 3.0

Android 7.1.2

PocketNow Hands on Video:

Fun fact:The first device featured in PocketNow's Worst Gadget Series was the Kyocera Echo by Mr. Mobile.

@louisd said:

@westside80 said:

@underthehill said:
    You know, I'm a bit annoyed, because I submitted the idea for a dual screen phone back during Project CSX that used existing LCD screens instead of bendable ones...

This idea has been done before. I think in 2011 but I can't remember which company did it.

Kyocera Echo

I remember Michael Fisher, now MrMobile rated the phone 'hot garbage' lol.

Haha @saeedted nice. Michael Fisher is a cool dude. Envy his job.

• runtohell121runtohell121 CaliforniaPosts: 2,054 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sure looks unique and awesome; wonder how well it will do in the market.

• This discussion was created from comments split from: Introducing the ZTE Axon M.
  • louisdlouisd Ashburn, VAPosts: 985 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@freeza said:
    I can't even imagine a situation where I'm thinking "gosh, it sure would be nice if i had a folding dual screen right about now!"

Interesting that you say that. I like you, wasn't very impressed with this concept, and I still think it is quite a niche device, but I ran across a narrow use case the other night which left me wishing for such a device. I was watching the Yankees game on my phone (in a hotel room without the channel it was on) and texting with my son. Each time I responded to a text I had to leave the game and each time I went back, I was forced to watch a 30 second commercial before the game feed started. The two screens would have been really handy in this case.

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Moderator Posts: 1,151 admin

I pulled these posts from the announcement thread, which didn't lock for some reason... Please post in the main thread on this page. I didn't want to delete members posts. This will be locked now. Our apologies..

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@freeza said:
    Umm lol. obviously none of you remember the failed attempt that Kyocera had with their "folding phone" on Sprint. It was a flop, and this one will be too. No power user will want this phone. It is using the dated Snapdragon 821 as opposed to the 835. What power user will want an old processor with dual 1080p displays that aren't even AMOLED? Please enlighten me as to what demographic this mid-range device is targeted towards? 4GB of RAM is supposed to compliment multitasking on a dual screen phone? Right. I'll be here in about 4 months to say "i told you so." Mark my words, this phone will flop and sell poorly.

The 821 powers my Pixel XL wonderfully. I'm not sure how well it will power 2 displays though. I know I would have loved to be in the beta test for it. I've tested several phones but never a dual display phone. It would have been something different in a sea of the same.