Introducing the ZTE Axon M

1235»

Comments

• westside80westside80 KentuckyPosts: 5,532 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2017 4:08PM

@MSTK said:

@westside80 said:

@wings4annie said:
    @MSTK I really understand what you are saying. I did without my device for a weekend, I missed it so much.
    Never again will I leave it behind.
    I really love my AxonM

I wish I could afford one. I'd love to play around with it. I've never used a phone with 2 displays.

I considered selling my Axon 7 and a few other old phone to make up the cash difference. Unless another dual screen phone comes out that it better I may start using more budget friendly unlocked phones. This phone actually got me to purchase it because I've been wanting to multitask for a while now. It's still not perfect for what I've been trying to do but it is closer than anyone else.

I'm glad you was able to find a phone you really like. It's definitely different and I hope I get to play around with one someday. I just bought a Pixel XL a little while ago and I plan on using it for a good while. It's a great phone. I also have the Axon 7 and the Nexus 6p.

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 14,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
  • freezafreeza Pasadena, CAPosts: 183 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2017 11:08AM

Pretty safe to say this phone won't be making a sequel. Inconsistent display temperatures is an epic fail. Being off by a pixel[s] is even worse looool

@freeza said:
    Pretty safe to say this phone won't be making a sequel. Inconsistent display temperatures is an epic fail. Being off by a pixel[s] is even worse looool

I suppose that it will be at least partly up to AT&T to request a sequel but why would you say there won't be a sequel @freeza? I'm sure a sequel would address the current problems. I don't have the phone and I don't want the phone but I still applaud ZTE for their efforts. It certainly has potential for business related purposes and as an a great phone for media consumption.

edited December 9, 2017 3:08PM

@freeza said:

I wouldn't say that there won't be a sequel. I don't think that there will be but I'm not for sure. I do know what you're talking about when you say different color temp on each display. I saw that on a YouTube video. Not good.

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2017 4:57PM

@freeza said:

Agreed. While I applaud ZTE for trying to innovate, this phone is complete trash and obviously wasn't completely thought out. And nothing any of you optimists and ZTE fanboys say will change that.

@benkores said:

@freeza said:

Agreed. While I applaud ZTE for trying to innovate, this phone is complete trash and obviously wasn't completely thought out. And nothing any of you optimists and ZTE fanboys say will change that.

Wow.

@westside80 said:

@benkores said:

@freeza said:

Wow.

I hope that @benkores wasn't considering me to be a fanboy based on what I said above. Obviously I'm not a fanboy. I know that the M has problems but I still applaud ZTE for the effort and if there is a sequel I'm sure that it will be better.

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 413 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 9, 2017 5:42PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@benkores said:

@freeza said:

Wow.

I hope that @benkores wasn't considering me to be a fanboy based on what I said above. Obviously I'm not a fanboy. I know that the M has problems but I still applaud ZTE for the effort and if there is a sequel I'm sure that it will be better.

No I was about talking about them in general, not singling anyone out

@benkores said:

@freeza said:

Amen brother!

edited December 9, 2017 6:13PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@benkores said:

@freeza said:

Wow.

I'm certainly not a ZTE fanboy or a OnePlus , Google, Samsung or Huawei fanboy. I give props to any and all OEM's if they make a good device. I've never understood fanboyism. Why should I care more about a company that doesn't even know my name or even know who I am? It never made sense to me. Besides, there's more to it than making a good device. You have to support the device as well and that's where most OEM's mess up. I've got a 6p and Pixel XL but don't think for one second that I wasn't vocal in my disgust at all the Pixel 2 XL issues and I won't be buying one either. I may pick up a Pixel 2 when I find one at a reasonable price but I won't be buying the 2 XL. I've had Honor phones, OnePlus phones, Blu phones, HTC phones, Google phones, ZTE phones and so on. I'm not loyal to any one particular OEM. I go with whichever phone I think I'll like the best and that'll get the best support and although that usually leads me to Google I certainly don't rule other phones out.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@benkores said:

@freeza said:

Wow.

I'm certainly not a ZTE fanboy or a OnePlus , Google, Samsung or Huawei fanboy. I give props to any and all OEM's if they make a good device. I've never understood fanboyism. Why should I care more about a company that doesn't even know my name or even know who I am? It never made sense to me. Besides, there's more to it than making a good device. You have to support the device as well and that's where most OEM's mess up.

I have companies that I'm partial towards but never to the fanboy level. No blind loyalty.

• MSTKMSTK USAPosts: 23 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first go at ZTE was my Axon 7. The only flagship phones I've had are the iPhone 3gs and LG G5. I've never had an Android phone without quirks. Even the iPhone had quirks. I've never seen any phone without quirks. Maybe it's because I have not bought any of the higher end phones. I would like to see things worked out on the Axon M but this is the closest phone to doing what I have been wanting to do for years now and that is multitasking closer to a computer experience. My guess is that some of the reviewers and commentators are comparing the phone to other high end phones because of the price.

To someone like me who has not really used the current high end flagships this phone is on point for what it is. After using it for a month and then not having it you really miss the functionality of two screens. I heard people trash the LG G5 online but when I went to the Axon 7 I missed the clarity of the cameras. Before the Axon 7 I bought the Moto G5 plus and got my wife the Axon 7 mini. The battery did not last long enough on the mini and the speaker was not loud enough for the Moto G5. I took the Moto back and got the Axon 7. I was satisfied with speaker volume and experience but it still had quirks. I say all that to say you will hardly find a perfect device because people's needs change and they also carry biases. I personally wanted Microsoft to rock a phone that ran on Windows but I gave up on them. Lol Consumers need to use the phones themselves then decide what works and what is best.

I've seen reviews of the flagships on YouTube that don't match up. Pictures look totally different on the same phone so you've got to take what reviewers say with a grain of salt.

@MSTK said:
    My first go at ZTE was my Axon 7. The only flagship phones I've had are the iPhone 3gs and LG G5. I've never had an Android phone without quirks. Even the iPhone had quirks. I've never seen any phone without quirks. Maybe it's because I have not bought any of the higher end phones. I would like to see things worked out on the Axon M but this is the closest phone to doing what I have been wanting to do for years now and that is multitasking closer to a computer experience. My guess is that some of the reviewers and commentators are comparing the phone to other high end phones because of the price.

To someone like me who has not really used the current high end flagships this phone is on point for what it is. After using it for a month and then not having it you really miss the functionality of two screens. I heard people trash the LG G5 online but when I went to the Axon 7 I missed the clarity of the cameras. Before the Axon 7 I bought the Moto G5 plus and got my wife the Axon 7 mini. The battery did not last long enough on the mini and the speaker was not loud enough for the Moto G5. I took the Moto back and got the Axon 7. I was satisfied with speaker volume and experience but it still had quirks. I say all that to say you will hardly find a perfect device because people's needs change and they also carry biases. I personally wanted Microsoft to rock a phone that ran on Windows but I gave up on them. Lol Consumers need to use the phones themselves then decide what works and what is best.

I've seen reviews of the flagships on YouTube that don't match up. Pictures look totally different on the same phone so you've got to take what reviewers say with a grain of salt.

There is no perfect phone....yet.

@MSTK said:

You're absolutely correct @MSTK. For an example I bought the Razer phone in spite of reviewers saying that the screen wasn't bright enough. Android Central went as far as saying don't try to use the phone outdoors. From first hand experience I can say that they are all wrong. The screen is fine outdoors. As bright as some phones no. But perfectly fine.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@MSTK said:

You're absolutely correct @MSTK. For an example, I bought the Razer phone in spite of reviewers saying that the screen wasn't bright enough. Android Central went as far as saying don't try to use the phone outdoors. From first hand experience I can say that they are all wrong. The screen is fine outdoors. As bright as some phones no. But perfectly fine.

Some of the reviewers were using pre-production models too. I watched a Mr Mobile review last week on YouTube and he was saying the screen brightness was horrible and he said it was even hard to see indoors. I think some of the reviewers must have got bad pre-production models or something.

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@MSTK said:

You're absolutely correct @MSTK. For an example, I bought the Razer phone in spite of reviewers saying that the screen wasn't bright enough. Android Central went as far as saying don't try to use the phone outdoors. From first hand experience I can say that they are all wrong. The screen is fine outdoors. As bright as some phones no. But perfectly fine.

Some of the reviewers were using pre-production models too. I watched a Mr Mobile review last week on YouTube and he was saying the screen brightness was horrible and he said it was even hard to see indoors. I think some of the reviewers must have got bad pre-production models or something.

Excellent point. Sometimes I wonder if some reviewers talk down a phone because of their personal biases.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@MSTK said:

Some of the reviewers were using pre-production models too. I watched a Mr. Mobile review last week on YouTube and he was saying the screen brightness was horrible and he said it was even hard to see indoors. I think some of the reviewers must have got bad pre-production models or something.

Excellent point. Sometimes I wonder if some reviewers talk down a phone because of their personal biases.

It's only natural to a point. Some probably do and others may not. It's hard to tell sometimes.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,024 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@MSTK said:

I wonder that sometimes also. It's always good to read several reviews and try to decide from that. Sometimes you have to test it yourself and if it doesn't work as advertised just send it back.

@dnewman007 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@westside80 said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@MSTK said:

I wonder that sometimes also. It's always good to read several reviews and try to decide from that. Sometimes you have to test it yourself and if it doesn't work as advertised just send it back.

I agree.

@hollap said:
    Most major reviewers get paid to produce good reviews to hype a product. When you see them dissing a product it's usually because they weren't invited to a launch event or weren't sent a review phone for free or weren't paid to give it a good review. I tend to take the advice of @dnewman007 and watch several reviews to see if they have viewpoints that are similar or issues with the same feature and hardware. I take more stock in smaller reviewers such as jwilliams or Tech Right vs listening to Android Authority or CNET and the like.

As far as a fanboy, Iwould be considered one, but when i don't like something about a ZTE product I let them know about it. It does them no good for me not too. They keep me busy enough that I don't have time for many other products, but that Huawei V10 looks so nice! Are you watching ZTE? The V10 is your DIRECT competition.

I agree @hollap. The Honor V10 looks very good especially considering the rumored price. And I must be naive to not have known that reviewers get paid to write favorable reviews. I read reviews but I don't put a lot of stock in the reviewers opinion. I've owned and used so many different phones and rarely are the reviews accurate. I wouldn't have purchased the Razer phone if I believed the reviews on it because most reviews said that the screen wasn't bright enough and Android Central said right in the title of their review not to buy if if you expect to use it outdoors. They were wrong.

Really dude? I expected better from you, @jimlloyd40

@freeza said:

Really dude? I expected better from you, @jimlloyd40

@freeza I'm sorry to disappoint you. Please explain. I didn't write the review I just saw it and shared it

@freeza I didn't see the sponsored part. I guess that the review is still informative though.

edited December 15, 2017 5:41PM

@jimlloyd40 said:
    @freeza I didn't see the sponsored part. I guess that the review is still informative though.

I would agree if Android authority didn't already review the phone before this saying it was mediocre at best. The fact that they let sponsors influence then to write conflicting reviews is enough for me to not visit their site anymore. But they do tell you it's sponsored. Now I'm conflicted. Thanks a lot man lol

@freeza said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

I would agree if Android authority didn't already review the phone before this saying it was mediocre at best. The fact that they let sponsors influence then to write conflicting reviews is enough for me to not visit their site anymore. But they do tell you it's sponsored. Now in conflicted. Thanks a lot man lol

Sorry about that @freeza. I guess that I should read those better or keep my 😷

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD USA Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@freeza said:

I would agree if Android authority didn't already review the phone before this saying it was mediocre at best. The fact that they let sponsors influence then to write conflicting reviews is enough for me to not visit their site anymore. But they do tell you it's sponsored. Now in conflicted. Thanks a lot man lol

Not every "sponsored" video is biased, but I certainly understand the hesitation in trusting all that is said in sponsored product reviews. Once you see enough of them, you can kind of differentiate between ones that are like advertisements as opposed to real reviews. Combine that with the AA review (which I thought was a bit harsh), and come to a conclusion to know if the product is for you or not. There are also more non-sponsored reviews out there too. I ALWAYS find the best info comes from real world owners/users who use a product on a daily basis.
    That can also be tricky though, because people tend to be highly vocal on the net about issues they don't like, but owners who are satisfied to just use and enjoy the product rarely post.

This is a good example of real world feedback.
    https://www.att.com/cellphones/zte/axon-m.html#sku=sku8570458

1235»