My Experiences good and bad with Axon 7 on Verizon, including all of the known bugs and resolutions

Hi all,
I figured it might be useful to make a post about this since I found limited information when googling. I initially bought the Azon 7 to upgrade from my Samsung Galaxy Note 3. Out of the box I was very pleased with it, and then after some clever wordplay (outright lying) at the Verizon store I was able to get them to activate a nano-SIM for me with my number since I didn't have one yet. When I put the nano-Sim into the A7 everything was great at first. I had complete functionality, including LTE with the known roaming-icon bug. Then, the problems started. I'd lose LTE and it wouldn't come back unless I toggled airplane mode or restarted the phone. After doing these fixes the amount of time that I had LTE got less and less, until eventually the fixes stopped working. I read lots of supposed workarounds about messing with the APN and the radios, etc, etc, and nothing worked for me. I was hopeless, so I made a thread on here. Board user FlyerAndy responded with a fix that had worked for him. You shut down your phone, put in a GSM SIM, restart, and then let the phone get those settings for a couple minutes. Then you shut down, put your VZW SIM back in, reset a time or two, and it should be working great. This worked flawlessly for me. My phone's radios toggled as necessary and I was pretty much always on LTE. Everything was perfect and I had no issues whatsoever...
UNTIL.
I was very excited for the Nougat roll-out, so I downloaded the update immediately. This was a big mistake. Immediately I began experiencing the same issue as before. Not only that, but the phone was laggy and a lot of apps that I used regularly were choppy and clunky. I tried the GSM SIM trick again, and this time it did not work. I poured over these forums looking for any trick and trying everything that was suggested. Nothing worked. So, I downloaded the latest version of Marshmallow and reverted my phone back to that previous version by putting it on my SD card and accessing the bootloader menu and installing android from my SD card. As soon as I went back to Marshmallow everything was fine again. I happily used Marshmallow for months. Then last night I saw somebody talking about this most recent ZTE update and that it had some promising bug fixes. So, I figured "why the hell not?" and backed my phone up, prepared a file with the version of Marshmallow that I've been running, and accepted the update on my phone and held my breath... Once the update was complete I immediately had no signal again, so I went into settings and went straight to the new version tab to get the latest version. Once this update was complete it was amazing. I had full LTE with no "roaming" icon. Everything was working flawlessly, except a little lagging here and there. So, I went and wiped the cache partition, and that legitimately fixed every issue. Right now the phone is amazing. I'm looking forward to messing with the daydream VR.

TLDR; If you are a Verizon customer, there are ways to make your phone work great with their network. If you are a Verizon customer still using Marshmallow, update to Nougat, then go get the next update immediately after the Nougat install, and you should be all good.

Comments

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads up and the info @thewillneverdie its great to hear VZW is back up and working good on the A7 for you

• thewillneverdiethewillneverdie Posts: 22 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2017 10:55AM

Thanks for your post on the Gear S3 @musicdjm. Because of your post I decided to order one.

• razor512razor512 United States Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome, I am sure many verizon customers with the Axon 7 would be happy to be able to properly update the device and still keep things working reliably with it on their network.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Great write up and excellent info for Verizon users. Thanks so much for sharing it.

• ldr223ldr223 United StatesPosts: 41 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, That goes for the people that uses Straight Talk thur Verizon. I can't even used this phone so I'm using it as a tablet and camera for my pictures now. I also can't used it for ATT or T-mobile consider the service never works for me at my workplace.

• jk_mijk_mi USAPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

So, now I am really confused. When I switched from AT&T to VZW the said my ZTE AXON 7 was NOT compatible w/ their network. Ended up buying an S8+ and having a used AXON 7 sitting around.

Every month I go the VZW 'bring your own phone' web page, type in my IMEI Number and the page comes back as not compatible. While I've sent them 1/2 a dozen tweets about approving the AXON 7, all they say is check back next month.

So, how are people getting AXON 7s to work on VZW I'd love to give it to my Sister, who is on VZW, but her phone has a broken screen.

Please advise.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jk_mi said:
    So, now I am really confused. When I switched from AT&T to VZW the said my ZTE AXON 7 was NOT compatible w/ their network. Ended up buying an S8+ and having a used AXON 7 sitting around.

Every month I go the VZW 'bring your own phone' web page, type in my IMEI Number and the page comes back as not compatible. While I've sent them 1/2 a dozen tweets about approving the AXON 7, all they say is check back next month.

So, how are people getting AXON 7s to work on VZW I'd love to give it to my Sister, who is on VZW, but her phone has a broken screen.

Please advise.

Hey @jk_mi and welcome to the Z-Community.
    While the A7 isn't officially compatible with VZW, as you can see by @thewillneverdie's post, it still works pretty well with their network.

• jk_mijk_mi USAPosts: 2 ✭✭✭✭

So if I were.to take the SIM from S8+ and test it in the AXON 7, I may get results? Positive ones, not a meltdown of my SIM👽

@jk_mi said:
    So if I were.to take the SIM from S8+ and test it in the AXON 7, I may get results? Positive ones, not a meltdown of my SIM👽

Just to clarify, I have personally never used the A7 with VZW, but some people say it works for them.
    It's possible there may be some issues, but it depends on how exactly you use the device.
    Sometimes people say they can't get VZW sim to work, but then put a different GSM sim in first, then switch to VZW sim, and then it works. It's kind of a just try it and see kind of thing.
    I seriously doubt that it will fubar your sim card though.

• skingy1skingy1 Posts: 6 ✭✭✭

What I find totally interesting is...I've been on B29 forever debating on whether to download the many updates so, I went for it and just upgraded all the way to B35. I haven't had to do anything to APN Verizon etc. It all works. For some reason I haven't had to do anything other than update and Verizon still shows up working on my Axon 7 phone. I want to add that I have not rooted my cell that's a bit beyond my abilities lol. I even factory reset my cell after the B35 update and VERIZON WORKS!

• ToBusyGamingToBusyGaming United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭

Hello all, this is my first anything on the ZTE Forums, very nice community, lots of passionate people. I personally am still on my parent's phone plan, Verizon, and was looking for a good, decently cheap phone as I'm a college student. So I have the ZTE Axon 7, and this post is what spearheaded my decision to get the phone. Now I'd like to share my experience with the phone on Verizon to let anyone who wants to know be able to use it.
    PROCEDURE
    So basically, When I started with my phone, I had kept it on marshmallow as I was awaiting something before I could activate it, I'll explain in a moment. I recommend you do NOT update your phone until you are ready to activate it with a SIM Card.
    1.Get an active SIM Card. Your previous phone will probably have one. For me, my phone had a MicroSIM in it, which I thought was a problem considering the NanoSIM Slot on the Axon 7, but an $11 SIM Card cutter off Amazon does the job perfectly.
    2. update your phone to the latest Android version. Ensure you also update your MiFavor to the most recent version as well
    3. Shut Off the Phone.
    4. Insert the SIM Card.
    5. Turn on the phone. You may have to restart it a few times.
    6. Under settings, go to data, and make sure all your data settings are turned on for your SIM Card
    RESULTS
    You should now have a ZTE Axon 7 on Verizon! No roaming Icon, full LTE, and call and text. And if you saved all your contacts on your SIM, then you will have your contacts transferred over as well.
    Attached are screenshots of my top bar showing LTE, which were taken on the Android info screen to prove they are real.

I hope this helped anyone who needed it. :)

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2018 6:17PM

deleted

• VersaVersa United StatesPosts: 1 ✭✭
    edited October 17, 2018 12:56AM
    My axon7 worked for 3 months in verizon and now it stopped. Can anybody help?
  • hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    @Versa the Axon 7 isn't "officially" supported on Verizon, even though it has all the right bands. What is the issue you are experiencing?  Does it just say no signal? Also, what build of software are you currently running?