Has anybody heard anything about Android Oreo (8.0) for the Axon 7?

2»

Answers

• jimlloyd40jimlloyd40 Phoenix, AZ Posts: 13,997 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@htyhzd said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@htyhzd said:
    It will be Jan 2018. Confirmed with chinese source

Care to provide your source @htyhzd?

Yes, if you can read chinese. The message is posted by a senior manager of ZTE China

I'll have to take your word for it @htyhzd because I certainly can't read Chinese.

• thephantomthephantom USAPosts: 48 ✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

I'll have to take your word for it @htyhzd because I certainly can't read Chinese.

Google Translate on your Axon 7 is your friend:

Does your company have plans to upgrade Android8.0 to Axon A2015 and A2017?

Sensing your support for ZTE mobile phones, we understand that our A2015 is not yet a version of Android 8.0 plan, A2017 at the end of December will launch a new version of Android 8.0, you are welcome to upgrade the experience, any suggestions and comments can be private message at any time Give me, thank you!

@thephantom said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

Google Translate on your Axon 7 is your friend:

Does your company have plans to upgrade Android8.0 to Axon A2015 and A2017?

Sensing your support for ZTE mobile phones, we understand that our A2015 is not yet a version of Android 8.0 plan, A2017 at the end of December will launch a new version of Android 8.0, you are welcome to upgrade the experience, any suggestions and comments can be private message at any time Give me, thank you!

Does Google translate work on your statement @thephantom? Just kidding. :D

• freezafreeza Pasadena, CAPosts: 170 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I suggested 7.1.2 and the ZTE fanboys almost destroyed me over it. Saying such ridiculousness as 7.1.1 is good enough. What? How can anyone of sound logic mind be ok with the current state of this device? It hasn't been updated in months and is STILL vulnerable to 2 major security exploits. You have to root and flash custom software just to be secure. Absolutely unacceptable.

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 361 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

ZTE is getting slower and slower with updates. It took 6 months for a freaking MAINTENANCE UPDATE. And how long is it supposed to take for security patches? Get it together ZTE. This is a flagship device here.

We are in the process of learning how ZTE supports or doesn't support a flagship phone and the lessor specced phones also. I wasn't very familiar with ZTE and had never owned one of their phones. I have now learned that ZTE will introduce a new nicely specced budget phone for the MVNO 's every year and then abandon it at the end of a year. The A7 received many updates early in its life and has now been out almost a year and a half. As @freeza said the A7 is still vulnerable to two major exploits. I plan on taking what I've learned and using that lesson to guide my purchasing decisions.

• asianpianomanasianpianoman Posts: 68 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally don't really care about getting Oreo or not. We were all hyped for Nougat, and then when I got it, it honestly felt the same because the ZTE skin was over it. We got a few new features here and there (split screen, google assistant) but overall it just felt like a minor re-skin. What I'm really worried about is the first few builds on Nougat made my Axon buggy and slow as hell, and things really didn't get reliably better until this past build, B32. It feels like the first few versions of each new Android flavor reliably suck, and don't get better until the incremental updates that work out the bugs. I don't see any reason to expect differently from Oreo, and so I'm happy with my perfectly snappy, responsive, and all-day-battery A7 on B32 Nougat.

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 340 ✭✭✭✭✭

@freeza said:
    I suggested 7.1.2 and the ZTE fanboys almost destroyed me over it. Saying such ridiculousness as 7.1.1 is good enough. What? How can anyone of sound logic mind be ok with the current state of this device? It hasn't been updated in months and is STILL vulnerable to 2 major security exploits. You have to root and flash custom software just to be secure. Absolutely unacceptable.

TBF, none of the Pixel phones are protected from KRACK either (not defending ZTE, just saying).

@benkores said:
    ZTE is getting slower and slower with updates. It took 6 months for a freaking MAINTENANCE UPDATE. And how long is it supposed to take for security patches? Get it together ZTE. This is a flagship device here.

Good thing you didn't get the LG V20 over the Axon 7, because that's getting even less support than what we have now. IIRC it's still on June or July's security patch, and that was a flagship priced like one.

• smh032395smh032395 Posts: 35 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saying @jimlloyd40 the Chinese variant also got mi favor 5.0 and the USA variant has not so sometimes the home country of the device will get more updates then devices that have been sent out overseas...

• smh032395smh032395 Posts: 35 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm personally still hoping that we get Android Oreo the reason why is because I want the picture in picture mode that's it something so simple and the slight doze enhancements the rest of it can rot lol

edited November 15, 2017 4:42PM

@busyman said:

@benkores said:

Good thing you didn't get the LG V20 over the Axon 7, because that's getting even less support than what we have now. IIRC it's still on June or July's security patch, and that was a flagship priced like one.

Companies like Samsung and LG can get away with this because they have an extremely large user base and can afford to lose some customers over updates, but considering ZTE has much less brand recognition and is trying to make a dent in the US flagship market I would expect them to want to do whatever it takes to make this happen, including fast updates.

@benkores said:

@busyman said:

@benkores said:

Companies like Samsung and LG can get away with this because they have an extremely large user base and can afford to lose some customers over updates, but considering ZTE has much less brand recognition and is trying to make a dent in the US flagship market I would expect them to want to do whatever it takes to make this happen, including fast updates.

So not only does ZTE need to undercut the competition in price, but support too? I think everyone need to understand that 95%+ of customers do not care for updates at all. We're vocal minorities here.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 658 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@smh032395 said:
    I'm personally still hoping that we get Android Oreo the reason why is because I want the picture in picture mode that's it something so simple and the slight doze enhancements the rest of it can rot lol

Be careful what you wish for. I'm sure that the first (and possibly only) Oreo update will be riddled with bugs if history is any indicator. I would much rather get Nougat 7.1.2.

The Chinese Axon 7 has recieved a beta build of Android O!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Axon7/comments/7d4bsh/so_it_seems_weve_just_received_oreo/

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@busyman said:

@benkores said:

@busyman said:

@benkores said:

So not only does ZTE need to undercut the competition in price, but support too? I think everyone need to understand that 95%+ of customers do not care for updates at all. We're vocal minorities here.

I agree, with the exception of Security updates. Security updates are now becoming more and more necessary unfortunately. And I blame Google as much as any OEM for the way they are implemented for the reason they aren't more up to date. But hopefully project Treble will help alleviate that. Otherwise there hasn't been one Android major update that REALLY needed to have. Marshmallow has still been my favorite to date.

• hollaphollap Wisconsin USA Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@busyman said:

@benkores said:

@busyman said:

@benkores said:

I agree, with the exception of Security updates. Security updates are now becoming more and more necessary unfortunately. And I blame Google as much as any OEM for the way they are implemented for the reason they aren't more up to date. But hopefully project Treble will help alleviate that. Otherwise there hasn't been one Android major update that REALLY needed to have. Marshmallow has still been my favorite to date.

@busyman said:

@benkores said:

@busyman said:

@benkores said:

Except that most of the people buying devices such as the Axon 7 and OP 5 are tech enthusiasts and people who do through research. Most people do not know that these devices exist and just buy whatever new iphone or samsung from a carrier store. So yes, they should be undercutting the competition in support.

• 14blank4014blank40 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just wanted to digress for a bit, and ask if anyone know if project treble is coming to the Axon 7? It would certainly help at least with update speeds (somewhat from what I understand) and might add more support for the device as well

edited November 15, 2017 6:38PM

@benkores said:

@busyman said:

@benkores said:

@busyman said:

@benkores said:

Except that most of the people buying devices such as the Axon 7 and OP 5 are tech enthusiasts and people who do through research. Most people do not know that these devices exist and just buy whatever new iphone or samsung from a carrier store. So yes, they should be undercutting the competition in support.

Well, good thing you're not in charge of ZTE because targeting enthusiasts is very narrow-minded. According to your logic, sales of the Pixel should have been astronomical due to it not only being heavily marketed, but also having the best support of any Android phone on the market. Turns out, it barely passed a million sales. Now lets take a look at Essential, who released a phone targeting "enthusiasts" and promised speedy updates-it was a flop and they had to cut prices by $250 to get people even remotely interested.

I get what you're saying about only enthusiasts knowing about the Axon 7 in NA, but if they did their research, they wouldn't have considered a ZTE device if they cared about updates. They never, ever, had a good track record, so being upset about updates delivered faster than the likes of LG and others despite it being almost half-price is ridiculous IMO.

@14blank40 said:
    I just wanted to digress for a bit, and ask if anyone know if project treble is coming to the Axon 7? It would certainly help at least with update speeds (somewhat from what I understand) and might add more support for the device as well

Highly doubt it, as no other manufacturer is doing it for a year-old phone (except the OG Pixel). Heck, not even the XZ Premium got Treble and it was one of the first to receive Android O.

• 14blank4014blank40 Posts: 158 ✭✭✭✭✭

@busyman said:

@14blank40 said:

Highly doubt it, as no other manufacturer is doing it for a year-old phone (except the OG Pixel). Heck, not even the XZ Premium got Treble and it was one of the first to receive Android O.

Fair enough, but it might be a point ZTE could add to to stand out from the crowd even further. Thanks

@smh032395 said:
    Just saying @jimlloyd40 the Chinese variant also got mi favor 5.0 and the USA variant has not so sometimes the home country of the device will get more updates then devices that have been sent out overseas...

@smh032395 the Chinese version of MiFavor is completely different than the US version. There is nothing that you can compare between the Chinese version and the US version.

@busyman said:

@14blank40 said:

Project Treble will definitely be " available" to the Axon 7. It's up to ZTE if they want to utilize it. Project Treble is simply taking things that were always part of the OS out of the OS making it a simple update. Just like the Gmail app and other Google apps were part of the OS they are now updated separately from the OS.

• louisdlouisd Ashburn, VAPosts: 965 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@htyhzd said:
    It will be Jan 2018. Confirmed with chinese source

Confirmed for Chinese version of A7. Means nothing for the US version.

2»