Has anybody heard anything about Android Oreo (8.0) for the Axon 7?

Comments

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,936 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think one major OS upgrade is acceptable provided they stay on top of bug fixes after that for longer. Very rarely will OEMs do two versions unless the device is extremely popular. It was hard enough a few years ago to even get one major upgrade.

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 315 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You guys can be skeptic as much as you want but Oreo will definitely be available for the Axon 7 whether or not you want to believe it.

I'll just list a few of the sources pointing towards a release of Android O really soon:
    Redditor got a response from ZTE's twitter.
    UnjustifiedDev (the one who brought LOS to the Axon 7) has the pre-release version of Oreo which will apparently be much closer to stock Android.

Of course, there's also the Chinese version receiving Oreo which means that releasing Oreo for the rest of the world is a no-brainer in terms of investment (that has already been put in) and return.

On top of that, we you check the XDA source, LOS Oreo is already ready to be released pending approval by ZTE (probably because they want stock Oreo to be released first).

Take it as you wish but ZTE does know that a timely release of Oreo will determine the success of their next phone which should be coming out in 2018.

• redbirdredbird MichianaPosts: 48 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gryphticon said:
    You guys can be skeptic as much as you want but Oreo will definitely be available for the Axon 7 whether or not you want to believe it.

I'll just list a few of the sources pointing towards a release of Android O really soon:
    Redditor got a response from ZTE's twitter.
    UnjustifiedDev (the one who brought LOS to the Axon 7) has the pre-release version of Oreo which will apparently be much closer to stock Android.

Of course, there's also the Chinese version receiving Oreo which means that releasing Oreo for the rest of the world is a no-brainer in terms of investment (that has already been put in) and return.

On top of that, we you check the XDA source, LOS Oreo is already ready to be released pending approval by ZTE (probably because they want stock Oreo to be released first).

Take it as you wish but ZTE does know that a timely release of Oreo will determine the success of their next phone which should be coming out in 2018.

I sure do admire your optimism. Perhaps you are right and after these many months of silence from ZTE there will be an update to Oreo.

It will include all missing security updates, Widevine L1 and the Camera Api2 that many have asked about as well as the closer to stock OS.

After ZTE ignoring its A7 customers for the past few months everyone will be happy and all will be right with the world.

Huh........

@gryphticon I apologize if you thought my sarcasm was directed towards you, it was not. Just my frustration with ZTE with what seems to me to be a total disregard to its A7 owners.

They may or may not update this device, good luck with that.

edited December 13, 2017 11:07AM

@redbird said:
    @gryphticon I apologize if you thought my sarcasm was directed towards you, it was not. Just my frustration with ZTE with what seems to me to be a total disregard to its A7 owners.

They may or may not update this device, good luck with that.

ZTE staff have a very strict self-imposed policy of not saying something unless it's 100% sure. That said, they did confirm that the Axon 7 will receive Oreo but there hasn't been an announcement here most likely because they don't have a timeline.

Trust me, they are listening. They have solved many issues that people have complained about. While they haven't communicated that much, their updates are proof that they are listening to feedback whether or not they reply to them.

Again, there is no "may or may not" nor "good luck" because they already released the Oreo update albeit not in NA. The reason why it hasn't been released is most likely because they want to release a non-MiFavor version which will be another proof that they listened.

ZTE is one of the rare companies that hasn't had a many if any bad PR incidents with consumers. If you look at OnePlus, Samsung or LG, they got many bad PR incidents with their customers. Notably OnePlus who promised Nougat on the OP2 but failed to deliver which is precisely what ZTE wants to avoid for stuff like Camera2 API or other fixes we've been asking for.

Trust me, I don't defend companies unless they really earned it and ZTE has earned it in my book.

I just find it funny that people take these extreme positions that if they don't come out right away and tell everyone their software development plans that the phone is dead and not worth using anymore.

Just go buy a bag of Oreos to tide yourself over. Double Stuffed. Regular Oreos are more like Diet Oreos to me LOL Mega Stuff is just TO MUCH

No way! I am a loyal Oreo fan.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jasonscarter said:
    I just find it funny that people take these extreme positions that if they don't come out right away and tell everyone their software development plans that the phone is dead and not worth using anymore.

I agree Jason. I find for the most part, those stances are usually taken by only a few, yet very loud and vocal users who overshadow other more quiet users, so it's not really the opinion of most users in general.
    Quite literally, when it comes to internet forums like this, the majority of users do a lot of reading and rarely post, while again a small percentage do most of the posting, and both scenarios play hand in hand.

• freezafreeza United StatesPosts: 314 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

They don't come out right away? Lol more like they don't come out at all. Why wouldn't someone take an "extreme" position when almost every other relevant oem has given a statement on Oreo? I can't understand why some of you give zte so much slack for their shortcomings. Communication goes a long way and is very important when running a company, taking people's money, and establishing trust. What is wrong with you?

Here's a quote from someone on reddit concerning a game but that's pretty relevant to this discussion:

"Takeaway: Demanding all of the information will set you up for future disappointment either by not getting the information, or by getting it and sometimes having it change."

In a nutshell, no matter what ZTE does, they will always disappoint. It is not their fault but rather many people not understanding that they do not want to release information they're not 100% sure on. That's why ZTE hasn't communicated that much as they've been working on things behind the scenes.

@DoppelgangerD said:

@freeza said:
    They don't come out right away? Lol more like they don't come out at all. Why wouldn't someone take an "extreme" position when almost every other relevant oem has given a statement on Oreo? I can't understand why some of you give zte so much slack for their shortcomings. Communication goes a long way and is very important when running a company, taking people's money, and establishing trust. What is wrong with you?

It's been 1.5 years since the Axon 7 was released, and based on some internet comments that say the device might be getting an update to Oreo, your response is to bash the OEM for their potential generosity?

Yes it can be frustrating when you don't get something written in stone from an OEM on their intentions,
    but as far as the Axon 7 is concerned, I feel they don't owe anything more than maybe a security update at this point, so if the rumors turn out to be true, then they should be praised for their extended support of the device.
    I would surmise that if the rumor is true, they likely don't know a specific timeline to when they can release it to the public, so they choose to remain quiet. Maybe they want to do it but don't know if they can, who knows.
    I tend not to count on rumors until the OEM comes out and makes a public statement.

Many many OEMs across the modern consumer electronics industry don't reveal their intentions until such things are ready for public use, and that's just the way they do business. For those who feel they can't wait for what may never come, there are thousands of devices to choose from.

Lol.. Yes, a security update would be nice. Considering we haven't gotten once since August and are vulnerable to both blueborne and KRACK but they don't owe us anything. No wonder why we don't get anything. Most of the people on this forum are letting crap like this slide. Absolutely unacceptable when a Galaxy note 4 is still getting security patches and Google pixel devices receive support for 3 years. But oh no, 1.5 years is more than enough time to offer support in your eyes? I definitely don't want the drugs you're on that makes you believe this is acceptable. Companies won't do better until their users demand better and apparently you don't demand much at all, hence our current state.

Other oems are engaging their customers and offering timelines and betas, but people here cosign the lack of communication from zte and are making excuses for them not giving us anything at all. Uncanny.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@freeza said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@freeza said:

It's been 1.5 years since the Axon 7 was released, and based on some internet comments that say the device might be getting an update to Oreo, your response is to bash the OEM for their potential generosity?

Yes it can be frustrating when you don't get something written in stone from an OEM on their intentions,
    but as far as the Axon 7 is concerned, I feel they don't owe anything more than maybe a security update at this point, so if the rumors turn out to be true, then they should be praised for their extended support of the device.
    I would surmise that if the rumor is true, they likely don't know a specific timeline to when they can release it to the public, so they choose to remain quiet. Maybe they want to do it but don't know if they can, who knows.
    I tend not to count on rumors until the OEM comes out and makes a public statement.

Many many OEMs across the modern consumer electronics industry don't reveal their intentions until such things are ready for public use, and that's just the way they do business. For those who feel they can't wait for what may never come, there are thousands of devices to choose from.

Lol.. Yes, a security update would be nice. Considering we haven't gotten once since August and are vulnerable to both blueborne and KRACK but they don't owe us anything. No wonder why we don't get anything. Most of the people on this forum are letting crap like this slide. Absolutely unacceptable when a Galaxy note 4 is still getting security patches and Google pixel devices receive support for 3 years. But oh no, 1.5 years is more than enough time to offer support in your eyes? I definitely don't want the drugs you're on that makes you believe this is acceptable. Companies won't do better until their users demand better and apparently you don't demand much at all, hence our current state.

I specifically said security updates would be nice, because it does need one like yesterday (more like 2 months ago).

I wasn't aware that the Pixel model has been around for 3 years, lol.
    Seriously though, support in my eyes is fixing bugs and updating security patches for at least 2 years, and yes I do expect that for the Axon 7. I don't expect a full upgrade to a new OS 1.5 years after it's released, and if they do offer that then I consider it a bonus.

As far as what Google and Samsung offer, I do think it may be a bit unfair to expect the same level of performance and support in some areas for a device like the Axon 7 when comparing it to devices that cost literally twice as much.
    Again I do expect timely bug fixes and security updates, and that goes for any mid-tier or higher end device.

If you see that as not expecting enough from an OEM offering a high performance device for under $400, then we will just have to agree to disagree.

edited December 14, 2017 7:34AM

@freeza said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@freeza said:

Calling us drug users doesn't help your cause. Some OEMs may have said a device is getting Oreo, but it's MONTHS away. So what is the point? Announce it when it's ready so we don't get people yelling everyday "where's my uodate?!". Does Microsoft, Apple, Adobe it any big software company publicly post their software development schedule out for all to see? No. Why phone OEMS should be held to some other standard is beyond me. Android has been around long enough that people know updates are not a fast process. Some of these even security vulnerabilities are very hard to happen to a device even if it isn't patched. There isn't like a massive wave of phones getting broken into that it's major news. Out of the millions and millions of phones out there, how many phones have really been affected my KRACK outside of a lab? Even Google was 2 months late in getting their own phones patched for this.

From what ZTE has done with this device so far, it's been a good update experience compared to tons of other phones. But a software development process is a process and dates are always a moving target. Just not with phones, almost anything now these days.

@DoppelgangerD said:

@freeza said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@freeza said:

I specifically said security updates would be nice, because it does need one like yesterday (more like 2 months ago).

Seriously though, support in my eyes is fixing bugs and updating security patches for at least 2 years, and yes I do expect that for the Axon 7. I don't expect a full upgrade to a new OS 1.5 years after it's released, and if they do offer that then I consider it a bonus.

As far as what Google and Samsung offer, I do think it may be a bit unfair to expect the same level of performance and support in some areas for a device like the Axon 7 when comparing it to devices that cost literally twice as much.
    Again I do expect timely bug fixes and security updates, and that goes for any mid-tier or higher end device.

If you see that as not expecting enough from an OEM offering a high performance device for under $400, then we will just have to agree to disagree.

Samsung and Google's software engineer staff is massive compared to ZTEs. When you pay $800 for a device, they are building the device support model into that price. Hard to have big enough margins to do that at a $400 pricepoint.

@jasonscarter said:

Shoot, I've never thought of myself as extreme. In real life I'm actually pretty optimistic and easy going. But if expressing my disappointment with the lack of communication from ZTE concerning the A7 is extreme, then sure, color me so. I just don't think it's too much to ask if this phone is, end of life (?), going to get any more security updates (?). For my part I really don't care if it gets Oreo or not, but security updates would be nice.

ZTE is lucky to have so many users that for, whatever reason, thinks it fine the way things are. If that is good enough for you then great. I'm of the opinion that I put my trust in the wrong company and in future I'll just keep my opinions to myself, thank you.

@DoppelgangerD said:

@freeza said:

@DoppelgangerD said:

@freeza said:

I paid $550 for my enhanced model. Price should not determine how much they care about their customers. we've gotten ONE OS upgrade since this thing was launched. If one is enough, then that pretty much solidifies the fact that you believe in annual upgrades on phones. And while some people may not mind, I don't like paying $500+ every year just to get an updated device. The Axon 7 performs fine and is more than capable of running Oreo. They should continue updating this phone as long as Qualcomm supplies the drivers for the Snapdragon 820. Cutting ZTE slack hurts no one but yourself. They sold everyone here a product and they should support the product as long as they can. Why would anyone not agree with this is beyond my level of comprehension.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

No disrespect @freeza, but I'm curious as to when you will be in the market for another device? Is the A7 currently your daily driver? Thanks!

@hollap said:
    No disrespect @freeza, but I'm curious as to when you will be in the market for another device? Is the A7 currently your daily driver? Thanks!

I'm keeping my eyes open for any Snapdragon 845 device next year that meets or exceeds the RAM capacity and display size of the Axon 7 enhanced (6GB/128GB). It is my daily driver and while I am glad ZTE hasn't adopted the "new flagship every 6 months to a year" like so many other oems have, they need to up their support game by a lot.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 14, 2017 6:08PM

I'll keep mine simple. I think the software on this phone is so fragile that I am literally scared to mess with it very much. I purchased Nova Launcher Prime but have never made it my launcher for fear all hell would break lose on my Premium Axon 7. I still can't see the metadata on my car's head unit even though it's one of the most popular on the road. The "Music" folder seems to be a catch-all for notification sounds. Who goes looking in their Music folder for notification sounds? Android Pay did not work out of the box on the Premium version of the phone. Who doesn't test major features in each regression test suite? I'll stop with this short list.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@freeza said:

@hollap said:

I'm keeping my eyes open for any Snapdragon 845 device next year that meets or exceeds the RAM capacity and display size of the Axon 7 enhanced (6GB/128GB). It is my daily driver and while I am glad ZTE hasn't adopted the "new flagship every 6 months to a year" like so many other oems have, they need to up their support game by a lot.

Nice! Thanks for responding @freeza. I agree some more up front correspondence with the Community would be nice. It is after all the reason they started this space.

We must be the only two that agree on the "new flagship" idea. I don't always need the newest device every time, I like to use multiple devices for longer periods of time vs selling and upgrading every few months. But I'm an old guy, so I like to get my money's worth of of things.