Has anybody heard anything about Android Oreo (8.0) for the Axon 7?

1246

Comments

  • hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,377 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @stevec5375 said:
    I'll keep mine simple. I think the software on this phone is so fragile that I am literally scared to mess with it very much. I purchased Nova Launcher Prime but have never made it my launcher for fear all hell would break lose on my Premium Axon 7. I still can't see the metadata on my car's head unit even though it's one of the most popular on the road. The "Music" folder seems to be a catch-all for notification sounds. Who goes looking in their Music folder for notification sounds? Android Pay did not work out of the box on the Premium version of the phone. Who doesn't test major features in each regression test suite? I'll stop with this short list.

    I know you've had more issues than most with that premium model @stevec5375. I've used Nova on my A7, A7 Mini, Axon M, and Blade Z Max now. I don't like the included launchers, so switch to Nova right away. Plus Nova allows me to back up the settings as well.

    I'm a lucky one that has a car model that metadata works on with the A7. And to be honest I never understood truly how the music folder worked, and still don't.

  • DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Nova Prime works fine on my A7. I do occasionally get notification badges that stay too long, but eventually go away. It's a Nova bug, but doesn't happen often.

    I think the issue with notification sound files is related to what type of audio file it is.
    Many other phones do the same thing, and sometimes they have the option of hiding files that are shorter than a certain duration, but not sure if the A7 has that option or not. It's been a long time since I used it for music files.
    I may try to play with that this weekend if I find the time.

  • DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @DoppelgangerD said:
    Nova Prime works fine on my A7. I do occasionally get notification badges that stay too long, but eventually go away. It's a Nova bug, but doesn't happen often.

    I think the issue with notification sound files is related to what type of audio file it is.
    Many other phones do the same thing, and sometimes they have the option of hiding files that are shorter than a certain duration, but not sure if the A7 has that option or not. It's been a long time since I used it for music files.
    I may try to play with that this weekend if I find the time.

    I've had an inordinate number of phones and I've never had another phone that put notification sounds in a music folder. The ones that I'm talking about are sounds not music. They come from an app called "funny sms ringtones".

    Right, but how does a phone differentiate between a notification sound and music. To a device they are the same, so it must sort them buy either duration or file type.
    I think it's likely that the A7 needs a code adjustment, but IIRC, most phones will differentiate the difference by the length/duration of the file. IE: no song is 2 seconds long, so it must be a notification or ringtone.

  • stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 15, 2017 11:17AM

    @DoppelgangerD said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @DoppelgangerD said:
    Nova Prime works fine on my A7. I do occasionally get notification badges that stay too long, but eventually go away. It's a Nova bug, but doesn't happen often.

    I think the issue with notification sound files is related to what type of audio file it is.
    Many other phones do the same thing, and sometimes they have the option of hiding files that are shorter than a certain duration, but not sure if the A7 has that option or not. It's been a long time since I used it for music files.
    I may try to play with that this weekend if I find the time.

    I've had an inordinate number of phones and I've never had another phone that put notification sounds in a music folder. The ones that I'm talking about are sounds not music. They come from an app called "funny sms ringtones".

    Right, but how does a phone differentiate between a notification sound and music. To a device they are the same, so it must sort them buy either duration or file type.
    I think it's likely that the A7 needs a code adjustment, but IIRC, most phones will differentiate the difference by the length/duration of the file. IE: no song is 2 seconds long, so it must be a notification or ringtone.

    It has nothing to do with the duration of the sound or the type of file. It has to do with where an app saves the file. If you are using an app that allows you to change your notifications then the app should save the file in the appropriate folder on Android. ZTE's code just dumps everything in the Music folder.

    See this: https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/android-basics-add-your-own-ringtones-notification-sounds-0169520/

  • DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United States Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    It has nothing to do with the duration of the sound or the type of file. It has to do with where an app saves the file. If you are using an app that allows you to change your notifications then the app should save the file in the appropriate folder on Android. ZTE's code just dumps everything in the Music folder.

    It does have to do with file types. You can't just use any file type, but you're not wrong either, it has to do with the apps too, whether 3rd party or built in. There definitely are features in phones and apps that allow you to hide files based on duration so that ringtones and notification tones don't get mixed in with music files, but perhaps that has more to do with music apps that find and play all audio files on your device. It really depends on several factors, and not just one thing.

  • TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 17, 2017 5:29PM

    @freeza @hollap I'm right with you both on the new flagship every 6 months idea that has overtaken the industry. I purchase my devices with the plan/idea of using them for at least 1 year and possibly more, such as my Axon 7 which is around 16 months old and still running great. I value my hard earned money way too much to "throw it away" every 6 months on the so called latest and greatest, when the last latest and greatest (6 month old device) is still working perfectly fine. I am truly happy for the people who can & choose to buy a device every 6 months, but it's just not for me. The technical advancements aren't as substantial (if any) within that 6 month cycle, as compared to when they were in the 12 month release cycle.

  • TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 704 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @stevec5375 said:

    @texasmade1 said:
    @freeza @hollap I'm right with you both on the new flagship every 6 months idea that seems to be overtaking the industry. I purchase my devices with the plan/idea of using them for at least 1 year and possibly more, such as my Axon 7 which is around 16 months old and still running great. I value my hard earned money way too much to "throw it away" every 6 months on the so called latest and greatest, when the last latest and greatest (6 month old device) is still working perfectly fine. I am truly happy for the people who can & choose to buy a device every 6 months, but it's just not for me. The technical advancements aren't as substantial (if any) within that 6 month cycle, as compared to when they were in the 12 month release cycle.

    I agree. My last phone was a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and I had it for 4 years. I would have kept on using it except that I wasn't getting any OS or security updates anymore. I don't like the direction the industry is heading. I too think that a new flagship every 6 months overkill. I would prefer to keep my phone at least 2 years. I also don't like these new curved screens and glass phones. I would prefer a replaceable battery over waterproofing. The industry has gone to a "planned obsolescence" model that is costly for the consumer. I'm not playing along if I can help it.

    Agree 1000%

  • ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 468 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @stevec5375 said:

    @texasmade1 said:
    @freeza @hollap I'm right with you both on the new flagship every 6 months idea that seems to be overtaking the industry. I purchase my devices with the plan/idea of using them for at least 1 year and possibly more, such as my Axon 7 which is around 16 months old and still running great. I value my hard earned money way too much to "throw it away" every 6 months on the so called latest and greatest, when the last latest and greatest (6 month old device) is still working perfectly fine. I am truly happy for the people who can & choose to buy a device every 6 months, but it's just not for me. The technical advancements aren't as substantial (if any) within that 6 month cycle, as compared to when they were in the 12 month release cycle.

    I agree. My last phone was a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and I had it for 4 years. I would have kept on using it except that I wasn't getting any OS or security updates anymore. I don't like the direction the industry is heading. I too think that a new flagship every 6 months overkill. I would prefer to keep my phone at least 2 years. I also don't like these new curved screens and glass phones. I would prefer a replaceable battery over waterproofing. The industry has gone to a "planned obsolescence" model that is costly for the consumer. I'm not playing along if I can help it.

    Well said. I totally agree!

  • spidengospidengo USAPosts: 1 ✭✭

    ZTE is Giving Developers a Head Start on LineageOS 15 for the Axon 7
    https://www.xda-developers.com/zte-axon-7-lineageos-15/

  • mousemouse Posts: 85 ✭✭✭✭✭

    ZTE confirms Axon 7 will be updated to Android 8.0 Oreo
    https://www.androidauthority.com/zte-axon-7-android-8-0-oreo-update-824415/

  • Axon_toeAxon_toe Posts: 3 ✭✭✭✭

    Just posted yesterday (Dec 18,2017) on Android Central (https://www.androidcentral.com/zte-confirms-80-oreo-coming-axon-7) and Z-Union.eu (https://www.z-union.eu/Thread-Android-8-is-just-around-the-corner) :

    "Dear ZTE customers,

    We are announcing now that we are already developing android 8 for the Axon 7, your positive feedback has been inspiring us a lot and made us very happy and because of this we try to get it customer ready as soon as possible for the best customers in the world, and I ask for your understanding because we still need some time to perfect it.
    So if you have any suggestions or ideas please let me know it under this post, thanks a lot!!

    ZTE AXON 7 VOC expert"

    This probably means we should see it in the first couple of months of 2018, at least. Good news!

  • astra_starrastra_starr United StatesPosts: 30 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Anyone knows how we can get in the beta? I was in both the 7.0 and the Daydream betas. I think I am a good tester :D

  • freezafreeza United StatesPosts: 314 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @astra_starr said:
    Anyone knows how we can get in the beta? I was in both the 7.0 and the Daydream betas. I think I am a good tester

    @astra_starr nobody has said that there is a beta test for it. Are you supposed to disclose other beta tests that you were in? I don't know that's why I'm asking you.

    With all the leaks happening for the Chinese axon, I'm not sure the NDA matters anymore. It sure doesn't to them loool

  • ggregggreg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2017 12:10PM

    @Axon_toe said:
    Just posted yesterday (Dec 18,2017) on Android Central (https://www.androidcentral.com/zte-confirms-80-oreo-coming-axon-7) and Z-Union.eu (https://www.z-union.eu/Thread-Android-8-is-just-around-the-corner) :

    "Dear ZTE customers,

    We are announcing now that we are already developing android 8 for the Axon 7, your positive feedback has been inspiring us a lot and made us very happy and because of this we try to get it customer ready as soon as possible for the best customers in the world, and I ask for your understanding because we still need some time to perfect it.
    So if you have any suggestions or ideas please let me know it under this post, thanks a lot!!

    ZTE AXON 7 VOC expert"

    This probably means we should see it in the first couple of months of 2018, at least. Good news!

    Cool for the owners of Axon 7 global. Did they say anything about the US model?

    [Edit]
    Found the answer in the linked thread:

    Q: Does this post include all variants of the Axon 7, such as the A2017U?
    A: Sorry, there is no exact information on such issue

    So that would be a "No".

  • ggregggreg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @ggreg said:

    Cool for the owners of Axon 7 global. Did they say anything about the US model?

    [Edit]
    Found the answer in the linked thread:

    Q: Does this post include all variants of the Axon 7, such as the A2017U?
    A: Sorry, there is no exact information on such issue

    So that would be a "No".

    @ggreg I would say yes. Check this link

    https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/52078/oreo-is-coming-for-the-axon-7#latest

    I can't find anything in that XDA story that says ZTE will be releasing O for A2017U. As opposed to the negative answer from a ZTE rep in the ZTE forum for Europe.

  • benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

    @ggreg said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @ggreg said:

    Cool for the owners of Axon 7 global. Did they say anything about the US model?

    [Edit]
    Found the answer in the linked thread:

    Q: Does this post include all variants of the Axon 7, such as the A2017U?
    A: Sorry, there is no exact information on such issue

    So that would be a "No".

    @ggreg I would say yes. Check this link

    https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/52078/oreo-is-coming-for-the-axon-7#latest

    I can't find anything in that XDA story that says ZTE will be releasing O for A2017U. As opposed to the negative answer from a ZTE rep in the ZTE forum for Europe.

    Well then you're blind:

    "We do have an official Oreo update I’m running it now and I also have the kernel source. That’s what Lineage 15 is using so there’s no old bootstack or anything it’s all 8.0."

  • ggregggreg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 20, 2017 5:48PM

    @benkores said:

    @ggreg said:

    @jimlloyd40 said:

    @ggreg said:

    Cool for the owners of Axon 7 global. Did they say anything about the US model?

    [Edit]
    Found the answer in the linked thread:

    Q: Does this post include all variants of the Axon 7, such as the A2017U?
    A: Sorry, there is no exact information on such issue

    So that would be a "No".

    @ggreg I would say yes. Check this link

    https://community.zteusa.com/discussion/52078/oreo-is-coming-for-the-axon-7#latest

    I can't find anything in that XDA story that says ZTE will be releasing O for A2017U. As opposed to the negative answer from a ZTE rep in the ZTE forum for Europe.

    Well then you're blind:

    "We do have an official Oreo update I’m running it now and I also have the kernel source. That’s what Lineage 15 is using so there’s no old bootstack or anything it’s all 8.0."

    More like you have reading comprehension issues.

  • ggregggreg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 21, 2017 1:38PM

    @smh032395 said:
    Instead of being rude to each other look at it like this if you don't believe the US variant is getting it... Why would the Chinese and European model get it and not the u.s. variant it wouldn't make sense to allowed two different model types to get it and not the third model ZTE wants to make a good impression on their fan base because they want us to buy their next latest and greatest device henceforth axon 8 so look at it from a positive point or just don't buy another ZTE have a good day

    Who knows, presumably ZTE marketing department has reasons. The point being missed here is that a ZTE representative said there is no information about an update for A2017U, and in my view that's definitive.

    Even Unjustified Dev said he's not aware of an update for A2017U when asked on XDA, and I quote directly: "Unfortunately, I don't know anything about it." Yet people will always try to see what they want instead of what's right in front of their eyes.

  • smh032395smh032395 Posts: 268 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

    Everyone will have their own opinion man we just gotta wait n see in the end regardless if for some reason it doesn't get updated I'll be switching to lineage OS for 8.0 but why don't we all wait n see

Sign In or Register to comment.