Has anybody heard anything about Android Oreo (8.0) for the Axon 7?

Comments

• benkoresbenkores Staten Island, NYPosts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ggreg said:

@smh032395 said:
    Instead of being rude to each other look at it like this if you don't believe the US variant is getting it... Why would the Chinese and European model get it and not the u.s. variant it wouldn't make sense to allowed two different model types to get it and not the third model ZTE wants to make a good impression on their fan base because they want us to buy their next latest and greatest device henceforth axon 8 so look at it from a positive point or just don't buy another ZTE have a good day

Who knows, presumably ZTE marketing department has reasons. The point being missed here is that a ZTE representative said there is no information about an update for A2017U, and in my view that's definitive.

Even Unjustified Dev said he's not aware of an update for A2017U when asked on XDA, and I quote directly: "Unfortunately, I don't know anything about it." Yet people will always try to see what they want instead of what's right in front of their eyes.

No that's not what he meant. I was the one who asked him when the OTA is going to be released and this is what he replied with. And I'm the one with reading comprehension issues.

• ggregggreg Posts: 185 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ggreg you're reading those quotes wrong on XDA. He said he doesn't know if there is going to be an OTA to Oreo but he is talking about the stock A7. He is developing the Lineage version of the A7 to Oreo. But it's only logical that ZTE is going to update the stock A7 to Oreo. ZTE certainly isn't only going to support the Lineage version. You keep saying things like right before our eyes. Well the same can be said to you. And when the stock A7 gets the Oreo update you'll certainly come in here and apologize right?

Apologize for what? For statements made by ZTE and an XDA dev? Again, you're just not reading.

edited December 21, 2017 2:06PM

@benkores said:

No that's not what he meant. I was the one who asked him when the OTA is going to be released and this is what he replied with. And I'm the one with reading comprehension issues.

Q: So the A2017U is getting Oreo? Hallelujah! Any idea when ZTE is planning to release it?
    A: Unfortunately, I don't know anything about it. I was sent the build and kernel source early to adapt to Lineage for 8.0

Pretty clear to me. Together with what was said by ZTE the other day, even clearer.

Note, this obviously doesn't preclude A2017U receiving O by means other than ZTE, but that's pretty obvious and not what's being discussed.

edited December 21, 2017 2:08PM

@ggreg said:

@benkores said:

Q: So the A2017U is getting Oreo? Hallelujah! Any idea when ZTE is planning to release it?
    A: Unfortunately, I don't know anything about it. I was sent the build and kernel source early to adapt to Lineage for 8.0

Pretty clear to me. Together with what was said by ZTE the other day, even clearer.

Dude are you serious? If ZTE provided him their official build and kernel source then there is obviously going to be an update. Why would ZTE create an Oreo build for Udev if they weren't going to release it as an update?

When Udev says "I don't know anything about it" he is talking about the RELEASE DATE OF THE UPDATE.

edited December 21, 2017 2:11PM

@benkores said:

@ggreg said:

@benkores said:

Dude are you serious? If ZTE provided him their official build and kernel source then there is obviously going to be an update. Why would ZTE create an Oreo build for Udev if they weren't going to release it as an update?

When Udev says "I don't know anything about it" he is talking about the RELEASE DATE OF THE UPDATE.

That's a good question, but ZTE said "no" and that's what we have.

Yeah, I know you want to believe.

edited December 21, 2017 2:15PM

@ggreg said:

@benkores said:

@ggreg said:

@benkores said:

@ggreg said:

@benkores said:

@ggreg said:

@benkores said:

They didn't say "no", they said " We don't know, but most likely the A2017U is getting it as well". Each division of ZTE is separate of each other and functions independently so they have no info on each other.

I'm not going to argue with you anymore. The A2017U is definitely getting the update. Believe it or not.

• curtiscurtis USAPosts: 4 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Q: Any idea when...?" "A: I don't know..."

I don't know how you could interpret that as saying it won't happen.

"I was sent the build and kernel source early"

Early. He got it early, as in, before they release it to the public. It's not 100% affirmative, and they could even change their minds, but it's a much stronger statement towards getting an official OTA Oreo update than against. It's a very odd quote you're using as evidence against the update, @ggreg.

ZTE Germany has just confirmed Oreo for the A2017G. It'll be MiFavor-free just like the A2017U Oreo update but it's not going to be released until April.

https://www.ztemobile.de/forums/topic/keks-android-8-oreo-kommt-fuer-euer-axon-7/

@benkores said:

They didn't say "no", they said " We don't know, but most likely the A2017U is getting it as well". Each division of ZTE is separate of each other and functions independently so they have no info on each other.

I'm not going to argue with you anymore. The A2017U is definitely getting the update. Believe it or not.

Here the link to where my quote of the ZTE statement comes from.

Do provide a link to where ZTE says "We don't know, but most likely the A2017U is getting it as well", though "most likely" is hardly encouraging.

• freezafreeza United StatesPosts: 299 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ggreg said:

@benkores said:

Do provide a link to where ZTE says "We don't know, but most likely the A2017U is getting it as well", though "most likely" is hardly encouraging.

Despite the ignorance that you've been displaying here, we ARE getting Oreo. Please understand this and leave this thread, thanks.

edited December 21, 2017 2:47PM

@jimlloyd40 said:

@benkores said:
    ZTE Germany has just confirmed Oreo for the A2017G. It'll be MiFavor-free just like the A2017U Oreo update but it's not going to be released until April.

https://www.ztemobile.de/forums/topic/keks-android-8-oreo-kommt-fuer-euer-axon-7/

@benkores I almost can't wait to see how @ggreg misreads that. 😂

For the slow out there, here's ZTE's statement to their European customers (A2017G) linked earlier in this thread:

-
    Dear ZTE customers,

We are announcing now that we are already developing android 8 for the Axon 7, your positive feedback has been inspiring us a lot and made us very happy and because of this we try to get it customer ready as soon as possible for the best customers in the world, and I ask for your understanding because we still need some time to perfect it.
    So if you have any suggestions or ideas please let me know it under this post, thanks a lot!!

-

So there isn't any doubt that O is coming to A2017G. Do you get it?

edited December 21, 2017 2:49PM

@curtis said:

Early. He got it early, as in, before they release it to the public. It's not 100% affirmative, and they could even change their minds, but it's a much stronger statement towards getting an official OTA Oreo update than against. It's a very odd quote you're using as evidence against the update, @ggreg.

That's a silly game @curtis. Here's another version:

"Q: So the A2017U is getting Oreo?..." "A: Unfortunately, I don't know anything about it..."

Much closer to the source conversation, mind you.

@ggreg said:

@jimlloyd40 said:

@benkores said:

@benkores I almost can't wait to see how @ggreg misreads that. 😂

For the slow out there, here's ZTE's statement to their European customers (A2017G) linked earlier in this thread:

_Dear ZTE customers,

We are announcing now that we are already developing android 8 for the Axon 7, your positive feedback has been inspiring us a lot and made us very happy and because of this we try to get it customer ready as soon as possible for the best customers in the world, and I ask for your understanding because we still need some time to perfect it.
    So if you have any suggestions or ideas please let me know it under this post, thanks a lot!!_

So there isn't any doubt that O is coming to A2017G. Do you get it?

For the slow out there, here's Unjustified's statement about the A2017U update linked earlier in this thread:

"We do have an official update and I'm running it now"

"I was sent the build and kernel source early to adapt for 8.0"

So there isn't any doubt that O is coming to A2017U. Do you get it?

edited December 21, 2017 2:53PM

@ggreg said:

@curtis said:

That's a silly game @curtis. Here's another version:

"Q: So the A2017U is getting Oreo?..." "A: Unfortunately, I don't know anything about it..."

Much closer to the source conversation, mind you.

Actually it's:

"So the A2017U is getting Oreo? Hallelujah! DO YOU KNOW WHEN IT'S GOING TO BE RELEASED?"

"UNFORTUNATELY I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT." (release date)

@benkores said:

For the slow out there, here's Unjustified's statement about the A2017U update linked earlier in this thread:

"I was sent the build and kernel source early to adapt for 8.0"

So there isn't any doubt that O is coming to A2017U. Do you get it?

Not that there's nothing wrong with your list of arguments, but yeah, O is coming to A2017U via LOS. That's the only known, at this point. Hopefully that was simple enough for you.

@freeza said:

@ggreg said:

@benkores said:

Despite the ignorance that you've been displaying here, we ARE getting Oreo. Please understand this and leave this thread, thanks.

All I asked is for @benkores to provide a link for the statement he quotes. Didn't mean to trigger anyone.

@benkores said:

Actually it's:

"So the A2017U is getting Oreo? Hallelujah! DO YOU KNOW WHEN IT'S GOING TO BE RELEASED?"

Yeah, it was always obvious how you read it. The issue is, was the answer that was provided to both of your questions or just the second.

edited December 21, 2017 3:16PM

@ggreg said:

@benkores said:

Actually it's:

Yeah, it was always obvious how you read it. The issue is, was the answer that was provided to both of your questions or just the second.

What do you not get about "We do have an official update"?

And my first question (So the A2017U is getting Oreo?) was a RHETORICAL question.

• curtiscurtis USAPosts: 4 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unjustified Dev:

Everyone is getting confused. We do have an official Oreo update I'm running it now and I also have the kernel source. That's what Lineage 15 is using so there's no old bootstack or anything it's all 8.0. Official O for 8996 is still 3.18 for all 820/821 devices there's no reason to even port 4.4 it would only prolong how long it would take before it's released. Treble also has nothing to do with 4.4 our device doesn't have a vendor partition so proprietary goodies are in system/vendor/ linked to /vendor. So if you flashed a generic system.img you'd lose all your proprietary goods and your device wouldn't even boot due to the lack of hardware support. If our device had a vendor partition, I'm most sure they would have enabled treble. Not many devices pre-O have vendor partitions like google devices which is how google did it for the pixel.

Bkores:

So the A2017U is getting Oreo? Hallelujah! Any idea when ZTE is planning to release it?

Unjustified Dev:

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about it. I was sent the build and kernel source early to adapt to Lineage for 8.0

Alrighty. Unjustified talks about getting the kernel source for Oreo on the A2017U straight from ZTE themselves. He even uses the phrase "official Oreo update". He's currently running it. Ben (presumably the same guy as commenting on here) then summarizes everyone's happy realization: wait, we're getting Oreo? COOL! Then asks a question. Unjustified answers that question: he doesn't know when it's gonna be released. He just got it early. He got the kernel early. He later in the thread mentions that he was asked not to release LineageOS Oreo yet. He guesses that it's so they can release their official OTA first.

There. All the context. The exact quotes. No room for misinterpretation, unless your username is ggreg. ;)

It's not 100% affirmative. Nothing ever is (ZTE could be destroyed in a tornado tomorrow morning, for all we know). But it's pretty dang close.

@benkores said:

@ggreg said:

@benkores said:

Actually it's:

And my first question (So the A2017U is getting Oreo?) was a RHETORICAL question.

Official means it's from ZTE. There's nothing in any statements from credible sources that put A2017U and "official update" together. This is a fact. Everything else is conjecture.

I wish that Unjustified Dev would make a clear and unambiguous statement regarding this, but he hasn't. I guess he understands the volatility of the issue and, despite not being bound by any NDA, doesn't want to take the chance and antagonize ZTE.

edited December 21, 2017 3:38PM

Official means it's from ZTE. There's nothing in any statements from credible sources that put A2017U and "official update" together. This is a fact. Everything else is conjecture.

I wish that Unjustified Dev would make a clear and unambiguous statement regarding this, but he hasn't. I guess he understands the volatility of the issue and, despite not being bound by any NDA, doesn't want to take the chance and antagonize ZTE.

The A2017U is implied as it is the ZTE USA division that he is in contact with. It is ZTE USA who sent him the build and kernel source.

You're taking everything WAY too literally.

@benkores said:

The A2017U is implied as it is the ZTE USA division that he is in contact with. It is ZTE USA who sent him the build and kernel source.

You're taking everything WAY too literally.

Well, I do like facts. And when simple facts aren't provided, it's usually on purpose.

I guess those that still care will find out by around April next year. Too bad LOS 15 has to wait that long to be released.