Accessories In The Box (Revisited 2018)

ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,538 mod
edited February 8, 2018 6:23PM in Accessories

So Just as the title says, what accessories do you want to come with your new smartphone? Is it a deal breaker if headphones aren't included or if they aren't top of the line. Some have screen protectors included, while others simply ship with a tiny pamphlet. Please comment below, telling us what accessories you feel are expected to be included, as well as what you feel should really be included.
The Axon7 shipped with a pair of pretty decent headphones, a SIM key, charger (including wall port) a clear case, and a screen protector. This to me was over the top, and awesome. I expect a charging cable with wall port, and a SIM key. Anything beyond that I think shows the company is going the extra step to win me. It may sound odd, but I also really like seeing a well thought out package/box design. I know we don't keep it in the box, but it is really part of the fun of buying a new device.

Comments

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ironbaybeedoll said:
    So Just as the title says, what accessories do you want to come with your new smartphone? Is it a deal breaker if headphones aren't included or if they aren't top of the line. Some have screen protectors included, while others simply ship with a tiny pamphlet. Please comment below, telling us what accessories you feel are expected to be included, as well as what you feel should really be included.
    The Axon7 shipped with a pair of pretty decent headphones, a SIM key, charger (including wall port) a clear case, and a screen protector. This to me was over the top, and awesome. I expect a charging cable, and a SIM key. Anything beyond that I think shows the company is going the extra step to win me. It may sound odd, but I also really like seeing a well thought out package/box design. I know we don't keep it in the box, but it is really part of the fun of buying a new device.

I agree with you about what should come in the box, with the exception of the charging brick.
    I think it's important to include an OEM wall charger. There are too many other off brand ones out there that can do harm to your device, so making sure that you use the OEM one is important.
    If you aren't using the OEM charger, then people need to make sure the one they are using is compatible with the device they are using it with.

I think the most -optional- accessory would probably be the headphones included in the box with some phones.
    I know the Axon 7 had them, and to be perfectly honest, mine are still in the box on the shelf in my office.
    That doesn't mean I think they aren't any good, but I am just very picky about my music, and choose to use higher quality headphones. I think at this point in the game of mobile devices, it's kind of a toss up whether to include those in the box. Many probably say they don't need them and that they'd rather just pay less for the phone, but at the same time it offers something premium that makes users feel good about getting a complete package.
    Even though I've never used mine that came with my Axon 7, I like that they were included.

Next is the screen protector, and this can be a little controversial. Many people don't care about even using one. Some like when one is included, and some like to even have it pre-installed on the phone so that they don't have to apply it themselves, and I think it's safe to say most people would rather not have to put it on because it can be a real pain in the butt trying to get one on straight and correctly.
    Another aspect is that in almost all cases, when a screen protector is included, it is of a lower quality.
    This is where I feel that if they should include one, I would want it to be a high quality protector, otherwise I'd rather they just not bother. Personally though, I rarely even use screen protectors on my phones.
    I take good care of my devices, and don't find that I need that add extra protection, as long as the phone has very high quality scratch resistant glass.

Including a clear case is also a very nice accessory. I love when phones come with one, because many times I put one on myself, especially if I like how the phone looks, a clear case helps it to be seen. It also usually adds much needed grip to the phone, which I find necessary with how slick many phones can be nowadays having sealed aluminum bodies. I also don't like how other cases add too much weight to the device, and the clear cases are usually quite light.
    Of all the premium accessories that come with a phone, this one I like the most, because if I don't have to go out and buy one myself, I consider that making my life easier.

While this may not be considered an accessory, the device must include a great warranty if it is a premium device that would sell for $400-$500 or more. If the warranty is crap, or the OEM is known for crappy support, I'm not going to buy. The Axon 7 DOES have a great warranty, and that's another thing I love about it.

• keithisreal2013keithisreal2013 Austin, TexasPosts: 175 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of case. Most of the time, we get excited about getting a new phone but don't really think about protection until a day or two later. Now some of y'all will get a case prior to getting the new device, but some of use don't. I think having a case included adds value to the phone and instant protection.

Another item would be an additional way to charge the phone. Have 2 charging solutions packed inside.

• ironbaybeedollironbaybeedoll United StatesPosts: 4,538 mod

@DoppelgangerD I edited my post as I do expect the full charger to be included, for the reason you mention. I also think the box should clearly state tat both are included as well.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 8,224 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

To me the only thing that needs to be in the box is the OEM wall charger and cable and the SIM card removal tool. Anything else to me could be spent on the phone. The case and screen that were included, while nice, I only used until my other protectors and screens arrived. The headphones included in my opinion were trash.

Save the money spent on these items and put them into the phone itself. Waterproof it. Better CPU. More RAM. Hire another developer so you can incorporate widevine and camera2.api. Either way I don't need extras if I'm going to get a quality experience with the device itself.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,612 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2017 10:17PM

@keithisreal2013 said:
    I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of case. Most of the time, we get excited about getting a new phone but don't really think about protection until a day or two later. Now some of y'all will get a case prior to getting the new device, but some of use don't. I think having a case included adds value to the phone and instant protection.

Another item would be an additional way to charge the phone. Have 2 charging solutions packed inside.

Your post reminded of something additional I wanted to say before but forgot to.
    While I think it's nice to include some accessories with the purchase, another thing that would be great to offer, is a nice discount on additional accessories when you purchase the phone.
    For example, if you want an additional charger on top of the one in the box, perhaps offer it for just like maybe $5.

• saeedtedsaeedted DallasPosts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

ZTE really did put all the bells and whistles for accessories! I do expect a cable and fast charger to come in the box if the phone supports fast charging and not tempting customers to look for third-party options which could damage the phone (looking at you Apple). Sim tray tools should definitely include though, I loved the tool Axon 7 provided, I miss it.
    Now that I have spent money on higher tier earphones, I can forgive OEMs if they do not include earphone. As for cases, I think every OEM should make a case for their phones whether they include it in the box is up to them, but I wouldn't expect one to be there.

What's the most valuable accessory included in a smartphone box that we can't see?... A good warranty lol.

• runtohell121runtohell121 CaliforniaPosts: 2,114 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

The main accessories I want with a phone... clear case + glass screen protector for basic protection, quick charge compatible wall charger and car charger w/ cable so you can charge at home and on the go, headphones, and a sim ejector.

• samsamhasamsamha United StatesPosts: 1,710 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I think a lot of company are now only shipping the phone with bare minimal which is only charger and the usb cable. I think for most part, I am fine with that, though I often like to see a headphone even if I don't use it much as I got a wireless one, I just tends to misplace it and need to fumble for a headphone once in awhile:). This is more important if ZTE ever decides to forgo the headphone, then I think it should include a usb-c headphone (instead of the usb-c to 3.5'' adapter).

The pamphlets and others I don't care much though I do often slip through them.

One thing I have been thinking is that maybe instead of including tons of accessories which often could ended up as waste (either people just don't use it or already have another one), maybe manufacturers like ZTE which also has its own online store could actually offer store credits maybe like $20 to $25 value where users can use it to purchase the accessory that they like. This cuts down waste and also let users choose whichever they feel is good for them.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,567 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Wall charger, cable, and sim ejector tool is about all I expect. But when I get more, I don't complain! Those cheaper clear cases, I just won't use. A screen protector is nice, especially if it will take a while for the other companies that make them to get on board.

If the headphone jack is removed (which seems to be a trend these days) I think the OEM should be obligated to provide USC-C Headphones in the box, or a USB-C to 3.5 adapter, or both even.

Also, they should have wall chargers available to purchase as accessories at phone launch. We had to wait a while for ZTE to provide Axon 7 owners official additional wall chargers in the ZTE store.

@samsamha said:
    I think a lot of company are now only shipping the phone with bare minimal which is only charger and the usb cable. I think for most part, I am fine with that, though I often like to see a headphone even if I don't use it much as I got a wireless one, I just tends to misplace it and need to fumble for a headphone once in awhile:). This is more important if ZTE ever decides to forgo the headphone, then I think it should include a usb-c headphone (instead of the usb-c to 3.5'' adapter).

One thing I have been thinking is that maybe instead of including tons of accessories which often could ended up as waste (either people just don't use it or already have another one), maybe manufacturers like ZTE which also has its own online store could actually offer store credits maybe like $20 to $25 value where users can use it to purchase the accessory that they like. This cuts down waste and also let users choose whichever they feel is good for them.

This is a good idea @samsamha. Let the person choose which accessories they want to include with their phone purchase for a nominal fee and include free shipping with the device. I didn't think about the waste factor.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,567 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes buying through Newegg you get a lot of extra accessories thrown in, which is pretty cool.

I agree that it is probably not going to be practical to have each box packaged with different accessories. Though, it can be done where each unit comes with the charger+charging cable as a standard. And in addition to that, there is a piece of paper inside detailing how to redeem the additional accessories online or redeem the store credit toward purchasing any other accessories that you want.

@jimlloyd40 said:

@hollap said:

@samsamha said:

This is a good idea @samsamha. Let the person choose which accessories they want to include with their phone purchase for a nominal fee and include free shipping with the device. I didn't think about the waste factor.

While allowing people to choose the accessories is a nice idea I don't think it's practical because each phone would become a somewhat special order. When the phones roll off an assembly line there is a lot of automated packaging. It's not efficient to have several different lines of production based upon the accessories chosen.

I don't think we are getting these devices straight off the line. They come to the US first, and shipped from the US to us. And the accessories wouldn't be packaged into the phone box itself, just in the same shipping box. Just like ordering multiple items from Amazon. I don't think it would be too difficult for a person who is putting your phone in a shipping box to grab a case or an extra charger and throw it in there along with the phone, especially if you are paying extra for it to justify the personalization. A way to make extra money for ZTE.

I think Id rather have extras just included in the production box and be done with the transaction. I definitely don't want to be bothered going back to place an order for accessories that could have been include. At this point if they weren't included and I have to order, it is probably going to be another sire, and brand. A coupon or personalized order is no longer the same as included accessories and means very lil to me after my purchase. When I am opening up my package/smartphone, that one box is what I am going to build my impression on. So if they include things beyond the charger, like earbuds, case, or protector, those items are in hand and immediately available for the phone. I appreciate that far more than having to go back with a coupon. :)

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I expect at a bare minimum there to be a charger and charger cord, earbuds and the normal paperwork. The extra items in the A7 packaging helped make it more desirable over the competition.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

For me personally, I really only need or want a wall charger, cable, SIM tool, and as an added bonus a clear TPU case. Beyond that, I don't expect anything more and even the case is a bit overkill.

I don't expect nor do I want headphones with my phone. The majority of the time they aren't that good and you can buy a better pair for $14 bucks or so online. I already have a drawer or headphones that aren't that good and a few that are. I don't need anymore and don't want it added to the price in any way.

The screen protectors are again usually not that great but I don't mind if one comes pre-applied, but not required and not really needed. As I would probably buy a better quality one if I really wanted one.

With that being said I was thoroughly impressed with all the accessories the Axon 7 came with except for them being the wrong color for the gray model. I never even opened or bothered with the headphones though. They wouldn't even compare to some of the ones I already own.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,124 mod

Im with pretty much everyone that wall charger and cable is a must, as well as a sim tool. For the Axon line or higher end device I would expect to see a decent pair of headphones as well especially since the huge draw of the Axon is the audio experience. For companies like ZTE I thinks its also a really good idea for them to include a tempered glass screen protector and a cheap plastic case. This is for a few reasons like for people like myself who purchased an Axon on release day or shortly after when cases and screen protectors are hard to come by and your stuck praying your new phone doesnt get damaged without one. Also as others pointed out when you dont think about protecting it until the day you get it and then you gotta wait for it to be delivered since you cant just run to your local Bestbuy and grab a case like and Iphone or galaxy device. Also because its one more benefit/advantage of buying a device if it has other accessories that you dont get from the bigger competitors. The box is the first impression when you get a new device so this is also important, a unique and well thought box design sets the impression for the device and your experience.

• saeedtedsaeedted DallasPosts: 1,156 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@saeedted said:
    ZTE really did put all the bells and whistles for accessories! I do expect a cable and fast charger to come in the box if the phone supports fast charging and not tempting customers to look for third-party options which could damage the phone (looking at you Apple). Sim tray tools should definitely include though, I loved the tool Axon 7 provided, I miss it.
    Now that I have spent money on higher tier earphones, I can forgive OEMs if they do not include earphone. As for cases, I think every OEM should make a case for their phones whether they include it in the box is up to them, but I wouldn't expect one to be there.

What's the most valuable accessory included in a smartphone box that we can't see?... A good warranty lol.

@saeedted since you miss the SIM tray removal tool that came with the Axon 7 I'll sell you one since I have 2 of them. :D

Anyone know the MSRP for a ZTE SIM tool? lol

• sshasansshasan Staff Member United StatesPosts: 3,483 admin

It's a new year and I'd like to hear from the community again about what accessories they expect in the box with a premium device 2018.

My list is this:

Pre-installed screen protector
    Clear/Smoke hard shell
    Earbuds (3.5mm/USB-C)
    Dongle (USB-C to 3.5mm)

I'll spring a few extra bucks if the OEM offers a glass screen protector on their site.

Light these comments up!

• schwartzasherschwartzasher United StatesPosts: 181 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

For me, I would want the typical Sim eject tool, wall charger brick and cable, headphones use c otg cable and really that's it. Would be good to have a screen protector and case

• AerospacemanAerospaceman Z-Community Administrator United StatesPosts: 1,235 admin

For me it would be wireless earbuds, tpu case, 3.5mm adapter if the device is USB-C only, and a decent screen protector.

• mobilegeezermobilegeezer Chattanooga, Tennessee AreaPosts: 1,204 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Earbuds and a case. If mid-range oems can include these, I think premium makers should also. The charging brick should naturally be included

• razor512razor512 United StatesPosts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2018 6:58PM

For a new flagship, it would be awesome to see the following:

1: Earbuds with over the ear hooks, as they are pretty convenient to wear when on the go.

2: A basic slim case (mainly to handle minor stops, prevent scratches, and add a tiny raised lip over the display area so that is is unlikely to come in direct contact with a surface if placed or dropped face down.

3: A longer USB-C cable

4: OTG adapter

5: If we get wireless charging, then it would be cool to have a basic slow inductive charger (that can be useful for preserving the battery by slow charging over night ( 2.5-3 hour charge), and a fast wireless charger can be sold separately.

6: Basic foldable smartphone stand for when you just want to prop the phone up when it is on your desk.

It may also be useful to have a slim pack which just includes the phone, charger, USB-C, and SIM opening tool, which will appeal to users who already have other accessories.

• 14blank4014blank40 United StatesPosts: 396 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly for the bare accessories, I think that the charger (with both the wall plug-in and the USB cable) and the screen protector is all that we need. In terms of what I think should be inside a case, I think the Axon 7 nailed it what what it did. Now stuff like wireless charger and phone stands, I think if they can keep the price fairly low with the addition of them, then go for it! I really like when companies put in accessories as it feels like they're really thinking of the customer first and cost second. It really makes you feel valued. As for how the presentation is, I would have to agree with @ironbaybeedoll as I too think that how it looks when unboxing is super important.

• DrakenFXDrakenFX United StatesPosts: 1,733 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 8, 2018 8:40PM

Im simple, the same accessories that came with the ZTE Axon 7 that's all is needed .

• Clear case
    • Screen protector
    • Sim tray tool
    • headphones
    • Micro-USB to USB-C Adapter

Can't ask for more.

I think minimal it needs to have the charger and the usb cable, sim ejection tool. I also like to have a headset included, wireless preferred and I think the BT wireless earbud that we currently have is nice. And if ZTE follows others in the industry and remove the 3.5mm headphone jack, then an USB to 3.5mm and USB-C splitter is a must to let users to use the 3.5mm jack and charging the phone at the same time.

As for the screen protector and the case, I can go either way. Case that came with the phone often are one of those soft TPU case or a little bumper that in my opinion is not good quality and does not protect the phone that much. And the screen protector often is cheap, low quality plastic one. I would like to have them if manufacturers includes good quality product that would want to use. A good tempered glass and maybe hard-shell case or the folio case that ZTE has for Axon 7 are nice to have.

@DrakenFX I agree with your list, although I don't need the headphones and would love a good quality screen protector instead. I would say a step up from the one that was included with the Axon7. I definitely want a case, but it does't need to be clear. I really love the black cases ZTE put out for Axon7 and Blade V8 pro.