Accessories In The Box (Revisited 2018)

Comments

• acatrusacatrus Posts: 293 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Decent earbud is mandatory, but not top of the line as audiophile have their own.

But a premium tempered glass to protect it is needed. Also a back cover would be appreciated, because it's hard to get compatible product for ZTE phone

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

To me there are few things that are necessary:

1. Headphones (if there is a headpone jack .... please say there will always be a headphone jack)
    2. A case (cause ZTE phones are sometimes hard to find cases for.
    3. A Screen protector (next to a case a screen protector is really hard to find.)

Just a few of my wants in every device.

• DoppelgangerDDoppelgangerD Master Of Ceremonies United StatesPosts: 1,584 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

This stuff is pretty basic as far as package deals go.

It's always going to have... a sim tool, a quick charge wall charger, and a USB-C cable.
    That stuff is mandatory for sure, but when we are talking about a flagship device, there really should be more.

I'd love to see a pre-installed screen protector.
    I'd also love to have the option to buy, at a discount when purchasing the device from the OEM,
    a high quality glass screen protector so I can upgrade it if I want to.
    If ZTE really wants to impress their consumers, then go ahead and include that in the package. ;)

I also love seeing a clear TPU case, like the one the Axon 7 came with.
    Not many users use their high end devices without protecting it with a case, and only the most popular
    flagship branded devices on the market have a good phone case selection available the day a phone is launched,
    and I like to have it protected on day one. I also like the extra grip that a TPU case offers.

Earbuds are nice, but unless ZTE is going to include high quality ones, it seems redundant as pretty much
    everyone already has a pair in hand.
    If those earbuds were wireless though, that would be a nice perk. I'd love to see that with my new phone.

I'd also love to see some nice accessories available from ZTE when the phone is launched,
    like car chargers, headphones, bluetooth speakers, swag, etc...
    ...and make those items available for a nice discount when purchasing the phone from ZTE.

• wiseman13wiseman13 United StatesPosts: 544 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am pretty sure I will be the odd man out, but I would just like the phone, a sim tool, and a cable. Though I have my stipulations.
    1. Device must be USB C and support USB PD. This might require a charger to be included to if the other players have not caught up. I would like to see USB standards for power delivery used so we can stop replacing wall plugs and car adapters for each future version of some proprietary tech.
    2. If there is not head phone jack, but we still have the DAC ensure a fully compatible USB C to head phone adapter is in the box.

Lastly I love things like cases and screen protectors too, but I would love to see ZTE get a strong relationship with a case/screen protector manufacture so we have options at launch and include a giftcard or discount code in the box and let us pick from options.

• dnewman007dnewman007 las vegasPosts: 3,206 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2018 6:45PM

At a minimum I would like to see earbuds that plug into the device (wireless would be nice since they are becoming the standard), charger cable with charger and a sim tool. A tempered glass screen protector and case would be hitting it out of the park if included.

• jasonejasone United StatesPosts: 1,895 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

New year but my thoughts on this haven't changed. SIM ejector tool, charging brick, and cable are all requirements. A case and screen protector are icing on the cake and really impress me. Beyond that, I don't expect nor do I want anything else in the box.

Headphones that are included are always cheap and not that good, and you can get a better pair for under $20 online. I don't need another pair of junky headphones to throw in the drawer.

• jasonscarterjasonscarter United StatesPosts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As far as in the box:

• Sim ejector tool
    • charging cable and charging brick (fast charge!)
    • USB-C to Micro USB adapter
    • USB-C to 3.5 adapter
    • USB-C earbuds (important until USB-C audio standard becomes reality and any USB-C headphones will work on any phone

Now, outside of the box, ZTE needs to have at phone launch in their store (not months later like with A7)

• Screen protectors
    • Cases
    • Extra charging cables and bricks

Yes, those could be included in the box, but I don't like screen protectors, and everybody has a different preference on what kind of cases they like.

• hollaphollap United StatesPosts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

OK, here's my 2 cents about this. I am a minimalist when it comes to the packaging for a mobile phone. The only things I see as being REQUIRED are a SIM Tray Tool and OEM specific charging cable and plug. The charger goes without saying, and SIM tools get lost easy. Yeah I know I can use a paperclip, but I broke a SIM tray once with a paperclip so I'd prefer the real thing. If an OEM is going to save the money on extra fluff in packaging and put it towards the phone, I'm ALL for that.

That being said, I know that isn't the case. So I'll give my thoughts on the rest, as I always like to do :p

Screen Protector. Hmmm. This depends on the version of Gorilla Glass being used. GG4 in my opinion doesn't need one. VERY scratch resistant and I'm careful with my devices. GG5 on the other hand is horrible for scratches. So this is probably pretty high on my list to include, but PLEASE make it factory installed!

Hmmmm surprising to me that so many people want earbuds, when the quality of the ones provided are usually crap. I have so many earbuds sitting in a drawer I don't know what to do with them anymore. I use Bluetooth exclusively now, and to include BT earbuds I would assume would be a bit pricey. I prefer to buy what I want in style and cost when it comes to headphones. Save the $5 or $10 from the earbuds and upgrade the camera and memory. I just don't think a pair of cheap earbuds helps sell a phone.

Along the lines of earbuds, I use BT exclusively as I mentioned. However if there is no 3.5mm jack, then I would think it essential to include a 3.5mm<->USB-C adapter for the people that still use wired headphones.

Farther down the list I see as a convenience would be a case of some sort, whether plastic or TPU, smoke color preferred as the clear ones turn yellow over time. This will also help safeguard against case manufacturers not making cases for the device because it doesn't sell a lot. But this would only be temporary for me as I prefer to outfit my devices with my own style of case, and at times go without one as well.

Extra: As a marketing ploy, ZTE should consider including a ZTE branded Pop Socket in there. I'm assuming Pop Sockets are dirt cheap, and would provide a cheap way to market your brand, and even if you don't use it yourself, chances are you'll give it to someone who will.

So to recap, save money on packaging and extras, and put money into the phone. Widevine and camera2.api anyone? Better camera? More memory? Better software? All that costs money. Save the packaging costs and put it back into the device itself.

And while I'm at it get @sshasan and @Aerospaceman a damn raise. They deserve it!

• busymanbusyman CanadaPosts: 401 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

What came with the Axon 7 was more than enough IMO.

• TEXASMADE1978TEXASMADE1978 United StatesPosts: 657 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2018 3:30PM

ZTE hit a home run when it comes to accessories included with the Axon7. I couldn't have asked for anything more than what was included. It was a very pleasant surprise which made the bang for my/your buck buy even greater.

To answer the question, I just need the essential accessories, such as the OEM brick wall charger with charging cord, sim tool, and a cheap plastic case, anything else to me is just a bonus. I would love for a tempered screen protector to be pre-installed it included in the box for the user to install it. Such as with my Axon7's, I was happy with the headphones and the extras that ZTE provided.

It seems for a lot of unlocked phones like the Axon7 and even some carrier phones a good durable case is not readily available when they are released and sometimes long after they are, so you have to search all over the internet on various different sites to find one that you like. So to keep your beautiful new phone protected you need some sort of case until the sturdier, more protective or stylish case you've ordered arrives.

• trottertrotter Tennessee, USAPosts: 160 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DoppelgangerD said:

Your post reminded of something additional I wanted to say before but forgot to.
    While I think it's nice to include some accessories with the purchase, another thing that would be great to offer, is a nice discount on additional accessories when you purchase the phone.
    For example, if you want an additional charger on top of the one in the box, perhaps offer it for just like maybe $5.

OnePlus has done a great job offering various bundles of accessories that are aimed at specific people and/or lifestyles.

@jasone said:
    New year but my thoughts on this haven't changed. SIM ejector tool, charging brick, and cable are all requirements. A case and screen protector are icing on the cake and really impress me. Beyond that, I don't expect nor do I want anything else in the box.

Headphones that are included are always cheap and not that good, and you can get a better pair for under $20 online. I don't need another pair of junky headphones to throw in the drawer.

Same here. I always order tempered glass screen protectors and a case or two when I buy a new phone.

• fzrrichfzrrich United StatesPosts: 4,088 mod

Packaging is important and I think the Axon 7 was packaged well. Only issue was that everything matched well with the gold version phone because there were gold accents on the headphones and on the box but when you got the gray version it just didn't go at all. Whatever accessories come in the box I would suggest making them match each color device or keep it simple and just have then all white or all black. Which ever looks better with any device.

I know that if ZTE is pushing the envelope to deliver a very high spec device and the most affordable price I would trade better specs any day and just a simple box with a charging cable any day. However I do love to see some extras, sim ejection tool, charging cable and wall adapter are simply a must have with the device. Even though many people have similar cables, ejection tools, you must treat it as a new product/experience and not expect everyone to just have these things laying around. I love when a quick and simple case is in the box to protect the device from the get go until I can find one that I really like. A glass screen protector would also be great because it is a premium experience and with curved glass type displays sometimes hard to find if the product isn't as "popular" to the mainstream. I also love included headphones especially if the headphone jack wasn't their, regardless its a nice added touch but I do agree with @Aerospaceman a pair of wireless headphones.....THAT WOULD BE REALLY NICE and people would talk about that most certainly! :)

@sshasan Completely agree with PREINSTALLED SCREEN PROTECTOR!!! Their is always some type of screen protector on every new device however they are meant to be removed and cover most of the device. Having a dedicated screen protector installed from the start and maybe an extra in the box would be a great touch! :)

• louisdlouisd Ashburn, VAPosts: 1,040 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like my phones to come with a $10,000 roll of $100 bills. That would really make my day.

edited February 9, 2018 6:55PM

@louisd lmao if it were only that easy lol I'll settle for some cracker jack prizes, maybe a ZTE sticker :)

• runtohell121runtohell121 CaliforniaPosts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Only the essentials I think that should come with the phone is... a quick charger + cable, a pair of headphones (and adapter if it's USB-C only...), sim ejector, and maybe a clear case.

• gryphticongryphticon Quebec, CanadaPosts: 313 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2018 12:01AM

Same as the Axon 7 but with the screen protector was pre-applied (many people including myself suck at applying them.)

• austin45austin45 United StatesPosts: 123 ✭✭✭✭✭

A charger, a USB cable and a SIM ejection tool are a must. But I really enjoyed having a case and a screen protector included with the Axon 7 (as these are things I was going to have to get anyway.) Headphones I can live with or without. If a pair of wireless headphones were offered I would love that! But this may up the price of the device where it may not be worth it.

• cavanaughtimcavanaughtim Wisconsin, USAPosts: 642 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

As many others have said, I consider anything beyond a charger/cable/sim tray ejector to be a bonus. If I were ever to buy a phone without a 3.5mm jack (which I would not willingly do) it would also have to come with a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, preferably a y-cable with both a 3.5mm port and a female usb-c for simultaneous charging.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,111 mod

@DrakenFX said:
    Im simple, the same accessories that came with the ZTE Axon 7 that's all is needed .

• Clear case
    • Screen protector
    • Sim tray tool
    • headphones
    • Micro-USB to USB-C Adapter

Can't ask for more.

I agree with you here but one major advantage could definitely be a tempered glass screen protector not only because of the delay from release until you can get 3rd party accessories but also the also difficult search for one that fits right. If ZTE partnered with a company to produce the protector then the company has the resources and sales guarantee they need to make it worth it for them to do it right. It also gives a certified accessory that ZTE can say properly works with the Axon.

• musicdjmmusicdjm United StatesPosts: 3,111 mod

It would also be cool to see ZTE do something like the first batch of 1,000 includes a limited edition ZTE community skin.

• saeedtedsaeedted DallasPosts: 1,102 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Box Wishlist 2018
    * No need for headphones (unless there is no headphone jack grrr, then include headphones and a dongle)
    *Sim Ejector tool
    *fast charger and cable

And for bonus points: a nice screen protector (cuz it was challenging shopping around for the Axon 7)

• cyberdynecyberdyne United StatesPosts: 65 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a minimalist.

Give me a sim tray ejector and a fast charger and I'm happy.

I really like the headphones that came with my Axon 7 but I really only use wired jacked headphones in an emergency and prefer bluetooth headphones

• coldheat06coldheat06 United StatesPosts: 1,652 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Can we have a cleaning cloth.....??? because most phones now days are fingerprint magnets.....lol

• mousemouse Posts: 84 ✭✭✭✭✭

1)Factory charger and Cable
    2) Sim Tool
    3) Case (This come in handy initially. Usually cannot find aftermarket ones that fit until later on)
    4) Earphones (In-ear design though, Apple design is a toss for me)