Do you think ZTE will ever communicate with it's customers?

2»

Comments

• redbirdredbird MichianaPosts: 48 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@redbird said:
    Thanks to everyone who took time to respond to my concern.

I don't mean to belittle the efforts of the mods, that was not my intent. One of the bright spots with ZTE is this forum and the civil manner in which members interact with each other.

Respectfully, I don't see how ZTE being a Chinese company or the fact that this phone is only 400 dollars, like 400 dollars is an insignificant amount of money, can somehow be held out there as an excuse for lack of communication with it's customers. Let's be real, I don't expect a CEO to respond in this forum, I do however think it's perfectly reasonable to be told what to expect for a product life cycle. The only one to blame for not finding that out ahead of time is me. I won't make that mistake again. I'm not going to go into a rant and say never again or anything like that, but people do vote with their wallets.

Great post @redbird. Well written, logical and right on point.

Thank you.

Probably no need to debate this issue ad nauseam. They may or may not say what's in store going forward, who knows?

I just know, for me, going forward, I'll be looking for a clear statement for length of time the phone will be supported and frequency of updates.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2017 3:13PM

@musicdjm said:
    .> @ram1220 said:

@samsamha said:
    Part of the issue is that software update is not easy. With Android 8, Google is trying to make it easier so, hopefully, this would make it easier to push updates to our device.

I think more communication is where ZTE is heading and that is part of the reason why the community existed so that there will have more direct chatters among not just the ZTE owner but also people from ZTE. I think feedback like this definitely helps ZTE to understand what we, as customer, values so that ZTE can do better in the future.

I am sorry but I do not see any proof at all that "more communication is where ZTE is heading." ZTE has received an F not only in communicating over the last year, but also in lagging behind in security updates. Yes they have pushed other updates. But for security and communicating with its customers they receive an F. Exactly why others I know as well as myself will not be buying ZTE in the future.

The proof is in the pudding, the mod squad is here communicating everyday. Im not sure who people are hoping for from ZTE to respond but we are here to relay feedback and information between ZTE and the Z-community . ZTE is always listening and responding its just not gonna be the CEO or a VP they dont have the time to spend responding to each individual request on the community.

Maybe so but ZTE stopped listening a long time ago. Mod Squad or not.

• ram1220ram1220 Allen TexasPosts: 453 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@redbird said:

I don't mean to belittle the efforts of the mods, that was not my intent. One of the bright spots with ZTE is this forum and the civil manner in which members interact with each other.

Respectfully, I don't see how ZTE being a Chinese company or the fact that this phone is only 400 dollars, like 400 dollars is an insignificant amount of money, can somehow be held out there as an excuse for lack of communication with it's customers. Let's be real, I don't expect a CEO to respond in this forum, I do however think it's perfectly reasonable to be told what to expect for a product life cycle. The only one to blame for not finding that out ahead of time is me. I won't make that mistake again. I'm not going to go into a rant and say never again or anything like that, but people do vote with their wallets.

Exactly the way I feel. I don't expect the CEO to answer a forum. And it was childish for the response that I suggested it. But I strongly feel our requests and questions are falling on deaf ears at ZTE. Whether the mod squad (whoever that is) listens and responds or not.

• hollaphollap United States Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:

@ram1220 said:

@redbird said:

Exactly the way I feel. I don't expect the CEO to answer a forum. And it was childish for the response that I suggested it. But I strongly feel our requests and questions are falling on deaf ears at ZTE. Whether the mod squad (whoever that is) listens and responds or not.

@ram1220 nothing but respect for owning your previous post. And when people refer to the "Mod squad" they're talking about the moderators of the forum.

The way that I see it is early on after the A7's release ZTE, through the moderators, did respond to problems. Heck sales of the A7 were delayed initially because of a poll in the forum that people preferred capacitive buttons over onscreen buttons. There are other examples of listening like the notification bell. But as time has gone by the responses from the moderators have been less frequent regarding problems and requests. I don't blame the moderators because if they don't get an answer from ZTE they can't help that. It's rather obvious at this point in time that ZTE has moved on from any further development of the A7. One very large example is the Camera2 API. There has been 3 or 4 threads requesting the Camera2 API so that we could use the Google camera app and it's HDR + feature which addresses the weak point of the A7's camera. Low light photos. You can use manual mode in low light and take a considerably better photo but that's a hassle and not an option for a spur of the moment photo. The Camera2 API is simply software that could have been added in any one of the updates and our begging ZTE for that has fallen on deaf ears. And that's exactly why people say that ZTE has quit listening. There are a few other lingering problems that have fallen by the wayside also such as metadata not being displayed on vehicle entertainment screens.
    Other than hopefully an update to Oreo and more timely security patch updates I don't think any of the other problems will be fixed. Whether these things affect your decision to purchase or not purchase another ZTE phone is up to you.

Can't sum it up any better than that. I'll also throw in Widevine :)

People may ask, if I'm a CPA, why do I point out negatives about ZTE? Well that because I know they are watching this forum. Very closely in fact. So when I see things that need fixing, or I want code written better or I think features can be implemented I call them out on it, as do others. Simply because I know they are watching. And listening. I agree they are not replying as much anymore though. That I assume will change again whenever the A8 starts to make itself known.

• louisdlouisd Arguer in Chief United StatesPosts: 1,133 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jimlloyd40 said:
    That's missing the point @musicdjm. What the OP was hoping for is that any manufacturer announce its intentions with regards to updates when a device is first sold so that the buyer can make a more informed choice as to whether to purchase or not.

Easy to say, hard to do. Essential may not exist as a company in three years. And ZTE's prelaunch conference call promised monthly security patches. Again, easy to say, but the proof is in the pudding.

• jazzijazzi Posts: 165 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 29, 2017 11:45AM

Isn't the issue here the lack of information/feedback from ZTE and not on feature/updates implemation constraints or how well ZTE has done?

If ZTE responded by saying "No," "We're not sure" or "We can't say exaclty if/when "X" will be done," the answer might not please customers but at least they would not feel ignored.

• theshriketheshrike CaliforniaPosts: 37 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jazzi said:
    Isn't the issue here the lack of information/feedback from ZTE and not on feature/updates implemation constraints or how well ZTE has done?

If ZTE responded by saying "No," "We're not sure" or "We can't say exaclty if/when "X" will be done," the answer might not please customers but at least they would not feel ignored.

Yes! I am very happy with my phone as it is. If ZTE decides not to update the Axon 7 to Oreo, I will still be happy with my phone and keep using it. If they decide to update it to Oreo chances are I will be using it longer than if they don't, and be happier, but eather way it would be nice to have some communication about what they intend to do. Many other manufacturers have released lists of what's going to get the update and what's not. This is my first ZTE phone. I had been using Motorola's phones for many years. Moto always releases a list of what's going to get the update and what's not, so does hmm most everyone.

What is the advantage to ZTE in keeping this info from people? I can't think of anything they have to gain by not telling people.

• stevec5375stevec5375 TexasPosts: 805 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2017 2:58PM

@theshrike said:

@jazzi said:

Yes! I am very happy with my phone as it is. If ZTE decides not to update the Axon 7 to Oreo, I will still be happy with my phone and keep using it. If they decide to update it to Oreo chances are I will be using it longer than if they don't, and be happier, but eather way it would be nice to have some communication about what they intend to do. Many other manufacturers have released lists of what's going to get the update and what's not. This is my first ZTE phone. I had been using Motorola's phones for many years. Moto always releases a list of what's going to get the update and what's not, so does hmm most everyone.

What is the advantage to ZTE in keeping this info from people? I can't think of anything they have to gain by not telling people.

The reason a lot of vendors don't tell people what their intentions are is that it limits flexibility. What if they publish a list of things and for unforeseen reasons they can't do two of them. Those users that were counting on the two that got dumped will be angry. Sometimes things just end up taking longer than you originally anticipated and the schedule has to be adjusted or features have to be removed. The minute you promise something and can't deliver for whatever reason, all hell breaks lose with users waiting on that feature. I don't blame them for keeping their mouths shut even though it frustrates us all at times.

• dnewman007dnewman007 United StatesPosts: 3,525 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@stevec5375 said:

@theshrike said:

@jazzi said:

The reason a lot of vendors don't tell people what their intentions are is that it limits flexibility. What if they publish a list of things and for unforeseen reasons they can't do two of them. Those users that were counting on the two that got dumped will be angry. Sometimes things just end up taking longer than you originally anticipated and the schedule has to be adjusted or features have to be removed. The minute you promise something and can't deliver for whatever reason, all hell breaks lose with users waiting on that feature. I don't blame them for keeping their mouths shut even though it frustrates us all at times.

@stevec5375 I agree with you.